Do you enjoy the current meta?

Tycura.1982

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that the current meta has only very few professions that are needed in high end teams, because of the way they are designed or because they are overpowered, leaving the rest of the professions "off-meta", there should be more balance.

Also damage is still way too high, if one gets focused, one dies within 1 second. Of course focused players should go down faster, but at least should have a chance to try and press a skill.

Then, chain CC without diminishing returns is another issue affecting game enjoyment, way too many specs have way too many skills that can chain control your character for 5-10 seconds (I am not talking simple immobilise, but totally unable to act), which is not fun, and in pvp is an eternity, and enough to die x5 times if you are focused on.

Finally, the rated matchmaking system is not good. It should allow groups to participate (and compensate for their points earned/lost accordingly if they play again non-grouped teams as clearly groups have a coordination advantage) - or simply match groups with groups in ranked, and non-grouped people with non-grouped people (as it is now). The reason is that playing ranked with random players often leads to people who either afk, they are bots, or simply don't know how to play, or they are abusive in chat, which is very frustrating experience in all cases. Also this way people can't play with their friends and earn pips at the same time. Alternatively, allow the same pip reward progress in the unranked games, where teams are allowed.

The pvp system in this game has huge potential with the variety of professions and maps it offers, it just needs a little work to make it top class IMHO.

Its a post-megapatch meta, so obviously no. Diversity is still down, with 2 classes straight up not viable, and all but 2 classes only having 1 real build to choose from, as opposed to the diversity we had pre-megapatch. Damage is still far too low, meaning glass cannons are still unkillable in 1v1s, and sidenoders basically fight each other with pool noodles while waiting for a +1. PvP has become the least skilled it has ever been.

But I also dont have high hopes for the future. What they need to do is increase damage by 20-30%, across the board. But theyre not going to, instead theyre going to try to nerf healing skills and damage from the classes that "do too much damage", and the game will continue to get worse and worse. At this point they should just revert the megapatch and everything since then, go back to the drawing board and figure out everything that went wrong, and try it again, with less of a damage reduction.

@Tayga.3192 said:

@UNOwen.7132 said:Which other 2 classes have been absent from tournaments and high rank ladder (well, while high rank ladder existed, anyway).

Looks like my expectations were too high. Smh I never learn.

Oh please, do try to explain how Warrior and Mesmer totally are viable, and its just a coencidence theyre completely absent from high level play. Though I dont expect you to do better than Shao, who failed miserably at it.

@"Alexander.7694" said:The problem is that the current meta has only very few professions that are needed in high end teams, because of the way they are designed or because they are overpowered, leaving the rest of the professions "off-meta", there should be more balance.

Also damage is still way too high, if one gets focused, one dies within 1 second. Of course focused players should go down faster, but at least should have a chance to try and press a skill.

Then, chain CC without diminishing returns is another issue affecting game enjoyment, way too many specs have way too many skills that can chain control your character for 5-10 seconds (I am not talking simple immobilise, but totally unable to act), which is not fun, and in pvp is an eternity, and enough to die x5 times if you are focused on.

Finally, the rated matchmaking system is not good. It should allow groups to participate (and compensate for their points earned/lost accordingly if they play again non-grouped teams as clearly groups have a coordination advantage) - or simply match groups with groups in ranked, and non-grouped people with non-grouped people (as it is now). The reason is that playing ranked with random players often leads to people who either afk, they are bots, or simply don't know how to play, or they are abusive in chat, which is very frustrating experience in all cases. Also this way people can't play with their friends and earn pips at the same time. Alternatively, allow the same pip reward progress in the unranked games, where teams are allowed.

The pvp system in this game has huge potential with the variety of professions and maps it offers, it just needs a little work to make it top class IMHO.

This is a actually a good suggestion. Let's say we cut rating gain on a win by 10% per player in your party, meaning everyone can queue with up to 4 friends and duo's will be the least punishing.

I don't like it because I feel like it punishes my ADD.

Everything is slower from side-node duels to teamfights so I tend to just kind of zone out and play on autopilot.That's on me somewhat for playing a Bunker build, but i'm also a Warrior main so that's the only way to really play my class without a handicap at this point.In my defense, like 75% of the people I end up stalling are usually playing some sort of high-sustain condi build or a bunker build themselves now so we just harmlessly bap eachother for however long it takes for one of us to give up or to get a +1.

The current meta feels pretty spammy too tbh. Teamfights just feel so bloated with red circles and information that paying attention to it all seems impossible.

I totally get if people like this because before; you'd constantly have to be on your toes to not be 0-death'd, but personally i'd rather that than being bored.

..tbh now is alot better then feb 25 that's for sure.i play warrior and holo at the same time.warrior and holo really have similar sustain and damageproblem making holo meta and warrior trash is thatthe constant application of super speed and the fact that holo can apply damage at any angle and decent access to quickness..of course and some known benefit from elixir S for safe stomp/rez.

i can understand why devs only making minor nerfs and close to useless buffs to warrior by simply looking at class self performance wise..but i don't think devs understand what makes a class meta or they simply don't care

Yes. Some specs that had naturally untouchable mechanics are playable but balanced and most things are fairly balanced with the others being touched on by updated patches. Feels like the majority of things are closer to ground level for the first time in years after the major patching.

This meta is terrible.

Let me sum up what happened here:

• Usually, a build is only good at being one of these at a time: Team Fighter or Team Support or +1 Roam or Side Node Monkey.
  • In this meta patching now, for some reason Arenanet took the Team Support role, and started buffing all the classes that were Team Supports, so they could also be Team Fighters that were also somehow dominant Side Node Monkeys, that were for whatever reasons allowed to have nearly the mobility of a +1 Roam, while still being a stapled powerful Team Support.
  • Then everything else was left normal, where it could only perform 1 job role.

The meta is more fun when it revolves more around high risk high reward game play, where any class can beat any class if they outplay. A meta consisting of these historical builds, considering they were patched right with a decent intra-class balance, would be the most fun:

• Core Guardian Burst or maybe even Power DH - No FB supports
  • Strength Spellbreaker or even CC DPS train Berserkers
  • Power Shiro only - No Ren supports
  • LB/GS Power Ranger/Soulbeast, Berserker variants - No Druids
  • DP SD Thieves/Daredevils, maybe even Rifle DE - No Condi Thieves. It always funks up the game play.
  • Power based Holo builds, after a bit of sustain was cut off. Power based Scrapper wouldn't be bad to employ
  • Power Mes/Chrono/Mirages - No Condi
  • Fresh Air Eles or traditional 1v1 Fire Weavers - No Tempest Supports
  • And then Necro would have to be somewhat tanky because that's just what the class is

In an environment like this ^ with no supports and no rando condi aoe no-animation rando damage, the game would feel great to play. I like diversity and I like power/condi play alike. But historically speaking, the biggest problems we continue to have with GW2 in terms of balance & the feel of the game, are all related to condi spam builds and when builds have too much sustain.

Thief dominates the game and dictates every single build and action you can make as a player in every single match. The class is insanely easy to play if you aren't d/p and far too effective for how little effort p/d and s/d take to play. You have to have a seizure at your keyboard to die on the class, and it's far too hard to punish a thiefs mistake while too easy for a thief to punish you in any situation. You have to play like a god to protect yourself from dying to a thief while they can just mindlessly run around pressing "T" and then mashing all their damage into the target.

I still think that the current game modes we have favour certain Professions and builds far too greatly over the others.

It's in a perpetual war between who can hold points better, and who can outrotate better, which ends up in only a handful of effective builds which is actually able to win games if both sides are playing with the meta in mind.

The meta offers more off-meta builds to work in unranked. Meta favors team healing and cc. Not enough people to counter tempest with the damage nerf to power rev and thief. Some power coefficients for certain skills needs to be rolled back. The range on aura share maybe reduced.

too low sustain, all i can do as a thief is decap and+1, feels like we are playing as 4.5 vs 5. I cant contest, i cant kill (ofc if enemy bunker knows what buttons he must press).Game extremely unpunishing for mistakes that ppl make cuz of total bunker domination, so now ppl at p1 are equal to old g1 - they just afk at mid and seems like never heard about rotation.Hope anet bring powerdamage at the same level with condi.

• 3 months later...

@"Shiyo.3578" said:Thief dominates the game and dictates every single build and action you can make as a player in every single match. The class is insanely easy to play if you aren't d/p and far too effective for how little effort p/d and s/d take to play. You have to have a seizure at your keyboard to die on the class, and it's far too hard to punish a thiefs mistake while too easy for a thief to punish you in any situation. You have to play like a god to protect yourself from dying to a thief while they can just mindlessly run around pressing "T" and then mashing all their damage into the target.

+1

pretty much this. Allowing one Profession to cause a repetitive, lasting, continual, Negative Ripple effect on the community experiences, Must End!!