Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:Different WM's and compositors can affect performance, especially on low end systems, I switch my low end laptop to a plain openbox session for gaming which helps a bit. I think these kind of tweaks are best left to the user to experiment with though.

I think you are right, it should be left to the user... but maybe a mention that they could do something like this (if they looking for that extra fps) would help... I honestly didn't know about openbox until now when messing around with the WMs.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:many years ago, a plain kwin gave me the best performance. These days I don't see a difference betwen kwin&plasma, openbox&lxqt, openbox plain and twm. A year ago, I tried using no wm at all, just going down the startx/xinitrc route. But the difference was so minor, it was not worth the hassle.

You are right, these days the differences are minor... however it also depends on the hardware, so in your setup it might of been minor, but for others (maybe those with low end pcs, or nvidia related issues) it could be quite the improvement... and some some people really go that extra mile for a boost of 1fps xD

Good day everyone!@ZenAge.4863, At the moment, I have the game installed via Lutris, the latest stable wine is also installed, but when I try to run run_taco.sh, I face the following problem:XY1hXpP.pngWhat could be the problem, I could not find an unambiguous answer and solution on the wine forums, I would be grateful for any hint. In this case, all the necessary wine files are on the path / usr / bin / ...

@Hell Nirvana.9045 said:Be warned that the latest stable Wine release doesn't have Esync or Fsync support, due to changes to ntoskrnl. They'll be reimplemented later.

I've been monitoring the situation on this, fortunately enough this game doesn't really benefit from bleeding edge Wine releases so it's ok to be a little behind with the version.

@DStorm.1964 said:@ZenAge.4863, At the moment, I have the game installed via Lutris, the latest stable wine is also installed, but when I try to run run_taco.sh, I face the following problem:

From the error, it cant find the wine binary. From your message, I assume you are not using the portable package and using Lutris's wine? If so then I guess that's where the Issue is, as I built that taco module for the portable package. Strange though that everything starts o.o

Try the manual approach. Compton should already be installed, so Disable xfwm compositor -> run gw2, run taco, run compton, gw2 ontop. The instructions are in the video.

Backup your /boot just in casesudo cp -r /boot ~/boot-backup

Fsync on ArchLinux:git clone https://github.com/Frogging-Family/linux-tkg.git

cd linux-tkg/linux58-rc-tkg

makepkg -si

You will be asked few things during the installation. If in doubt, just press enter, which will pick the default option. Just make sure to press y[enter] when asked about fsync. Kernel compilation time!

After everything is done your new kernel is installed in /boot, however, grub is not updated, which means after reboot you will still boot into the old kernel.To fix that, run sudo:grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

If for some reason boot fails, go back to grub and select your old kernel.now reboot, after login confirm that you are running your custom kernel by typing uname -r for me it's 5.6.10-arch1-1-fsync notice fsync in the name.

@kanemi.4903 said:

@ysng.5890 said:Is there any key differences between this post's script and Lutris's script?

Are they not the same script?

Oh ok, nvm just curious.

I'm currently facing a problem where sometimes the game will freeze and I need to reboot the OS. It happened twice first on a medium size meta boss and second while I'm on roller beetle. Any clue of why this is happening? ulimit is already set to 1048576. Using arch, xfce4 with amd gpu.

@ysng.5890 said:

@ysng.5890 said:Is there any key differences between this post's script and Lutris's script?

Oh ok, nvm just curious.

I'm currently facing a problem where sometimes the game will freeze and I need to reboot the OS. It happened twice first on a medium size meta boss and second while I'm on roller beetle. Any clue of why this is happening? ulimit is already set to 1048576. Using arch, xfce4 with amd gpu.

glxinfo | grep versionpacman -Qs mesapacman -Qs llvm

@kanemi.4903 said:

Oh ok, nvm just curious.

glxinfo | grep versionpacman -Qs mesapacman -Qs llvm

https://pastebin.com/duvK3eEy

Edit: Doing some searching and found that dynamic power management on amd hardware may cause freezes, will give it a try when I'm free. Any insights also welcomed!

@"ysng.5890" said:https://pastebin.com/duvK3eEy

Edit: Doing some searching and found that dynamic power management on amd hardware may cause freezes, will give it a try when I'm free. Any insights also welcomed!

Why you have installed?local/libva-mesa-driver 20.1.4-1VA-API implementation for gallium

local/mesa-vdpau 20.1.4-1Mesa VDPAU drivers

local/vulkan-mesa-layers 20.1.4-1Mesa's Vulkan layers

@kanemi.4903 said:

@"ysng.5890" said:

Edit: Doing some searching and found that
on amd hardware may cause freezes, will give it a try when I'm free. Any insights also welcomed!

Why you have installed?
local/libva-mesa-driver 20.1.4-1
VA-API implementation for gallium

local/mesa-vdpau 20.1.4-1
Mesa VDPAU drivers

local/vulkan-mesa-layers 20.1.4-1
Mesa's Vulkan layers

Hmm, I think past me just blindly followed the wiki and just install everything related to driver lol. I believe libva and vdpau is for amd video acceleration and tbh I don't remember why I have mesa layers...

Spot the error log with journalctl:Jul 31 22:28:22 kernel: [drm:amdgpu_dm_atomic_commit_tail [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Waiting for fences timed out!Jul 31 22:28:22 kernel: [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring gfx timeout, but soft recovered

Edit: Doing some searching and found that amdgpu.noretry=0 may fix it, will be trying it out.

hey guys maybe you can help mePlaying on linux with the custom wine provided here works very well for me so far.my problem is as follows: I want to buy gems through the gemstore. so i select 800 gems for 10€ and set the payment method paysafecard (which i used to do in the past when i was playing on windows). for the transaction you get redirected to a paysafecard website, where you enter your code. for that usually your standard browser starts up, which in my case is not happening. obviously because im not on real windows... is there any way to fix this/make this work?I'm relatively new to the linux world, so I have to ask instead of fixing it myself

@DStorm.1964 said:Did everyone who tried to start TACO succeed?Did you read/respond to my response?

@Madara.7435 said:my problem is as follows: I want to buy gems through the gemstore. so i select 800 gems for 10€ and set the payment method paysafecard (which i used to do in the past when i was playing on windows). for the transaction you get redirected to a paysafecard website, where you enter your code. for that usually your standard browser starts up, which in my case is not happening. obviously because im not on real windows... is there any way to fix this/make this work?

By default some form of browser is set to open webpages/URLs, and almost all distros come with a basic browser. Have you tried installing firefox/setting it as default? Do you still not get redirected? Either your PC does not have a default browsers set (which is strange/unlikely) OR somehow running game through wine isnt responding to calls to open a webbrowser (then a wine issue), or it is actually a GW2 issue where you are simply not been given the option for opening a web browser to enter the code.

@Madara.7435 said:hey guys maybe you can help mePlaying on linux with the custom wine provided here works very well for me so far.my problem is as follows: I want to buy gems through the gemstore. so i select 800 gems for 10€ and set the payment method paysafecard (which i used to do in the past when i was playing on windows). for the transaction you get redirected to a paysafecard website, where you enter your code. for that usually your standard browser starts up, which in my case is not happening. obviously because im not on real windows... is there any way to fix this/make this work?I'm relatively new to the linux world, so I have to ask instead of fixing it myself

It's probably trying to open a browser from within wine, meaning it tries to open a browser made for windows, running under wine. Chances are you don't have a browser installed within your wine install. Can't gems be bought directly from ANet's website? That way you can avoid having to install a browser in wine.

It's what I think is happening.

@"Madara.7435" said:hey guys maybe you can help mePlaying on linux with the custom wine provided here works very well for me so far.my problem is as follows: I want to buy gems through the gemstore. so i select 800 gems for 10€ and set the payment method paysafecard (which i used to do in the past when i was playing on windows). for the transaction you get redirected to a paysafecard website, where you enter your code. for that usually your standard browser starts up, which in my case is not happening. obviously because im not on real windows... is there any way to fix this/make this work?I'm relatively new to the linux world, so I have to ask instead of fixing it myself

I tried to replicate the issue on my end but it opens firefox just fine.

Can anyone please test this too? Replicating it is easy (no actual credit card required):Press O > "buy gems" > choose amount and paysafe card and click next > another next > confirm > proceed to paysafe.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:if your standard browser is chrome or chromium - there is an issue with the sandbox. You have to turn it off or it will just silently crash on start when called out of GW2.

This started a couple of weeks ago. Don't know the reason.

I think I might be able to work around this issue by integrating a windows version of firefox into the package and set Wine to run that instead of attempting to run whatever browser the OS has installed. It's not pretty but may be a blanket solution.

EDIT:Actually there might be a simpler and cleaner way. If you open a terminal and type in "xdg-open https://guildwars2.com", does it open the website in your native browser?