It's time for Shared Gathering Tools Slots

Over the years many things that were soulbound have become account bound. You've added shared inventory slots. Now you have announced the Legendary Armory so legendary items become shared. Now, I think it's time to make gathering tools shared as well. My idea is three shared slots for Gathering Tools with the ability to choose different skins for each character.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

If Permanent Gathering Tools were shareable across all my toons, I might actually buy a set. So long as I have to swap them between characters, either via the bank or shared inventory slots, it will remain a nope.avi.

Now, for every player like me, are there less/more/equal amounts of players who are willing to buy more than 1 set of tools to avoid having to swap? That will determine whether or not it makes sense for ANET's wallet to make such a change.

• Like 4

Alternatively, instead of shared gathering tool slots.

Legendary gathering tools.

With the Legendary Armoury, it'd be effectively the same thing. Whilst also providing potential to have some sick legendary skins and effects as well as a material sink to coincide with people being more enticed to harvest with more easily shared unbreakable tools.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:If Permanent Gathering Tools were shareable across all my toons, I might actually buy a set. So long as I have to swap them between characters, either via the bank or shared inventory slots, it will remain a nope.avi.

they already are, Unbreakable tools are account bound, not soulbound.ignore me, i misunderstood what you meant

@Parasite.5389 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:If Permanent Gathering Tools were shareable across all my toons, I might actually buy a set. So long as I have to swap them between characters, either via the bank or shared inventory slots, it will remain a nope.avi.

they already are, Unbreakable tools are account bound, not soulbound.

But they still need to be swapped via the bank/shared inventory slots - as said.Talking about eliminating that process, which I'm all for. Dedicated tool slots which carry across like the shared inventory without needing to equipped would be great.

@kharmin.7683 said:With the availability of shared inventory slots, which really don't take any significant time to use to swap tools around characters, I'm surprised that this is even a request.

For extended gathering sessions I agree. But this is not viable for all situations. For instance, I have 3 alts parked at the Rich Quartz Crystal node in Crystal Oasis right now. Every day, each of them picks up their 10 Quartz Crystal. It just takes a couple of seconds and then I switch character. Though I have a spare set of unlimited gathering tools available, I just can't bring myself to use it for that. Instead, I use the normal Orichalcum mining picks.

Would be way too much micromanagement for me to equip tool, gather, unequip and then put it back into the shared slot again if I had to do it multiple times every day.

• Like 1

@Croc.1978 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:With the availability of shared inventory slots, which really don't take any significant time to use to swap tools around characters, I'm surprised that this is even a request.

For extended gathering sessions I agree. But this is not viable for all situations. For instance, I have 3 alts parked at the Rich Quartz Crystal node in Crystal Oasis right now. Every day, each of them picks up their 10 Quartz Crystal. It just takes a couple of seconds and then I switch character. Though I have a spare set of unlimited gathering tools available, I just can't bring myself to use it for that. Instead, I use the normal Orichalcum mining picks.

Would be way too much micromanagement for me to equip tool, gather, unequip and then put it back into the shared slot again if I had to do it multiple times every day.

It’s literally three to four extra seconds to drag them to Shared Inventory. That’s 9-12 seconds total. Good Lord, people.

• Confused 2

@Incar.7358 said:

they already are, Unbreakable tools are account bound, not soulbound.

But they still need to be swapped via the bank/shared inventory slots - as said.Talking about eliminating that process, which I'm all for. Dedicated tool slots which carry across like the shared inventory without needing to equipped would be great.

The fact that you can share them between characters via bank/shared inventory slots makes them not being accessable on all characters at once quite annoying.It's just convinience at this point to allow this.

It won't stop me buying specialized tools either, I get a lot of use from volatile ones even with several unbreakable tools on my account.

• Like 1

@Copestetic.5174 said:

It’s literally three to four extra seconds to drag them to Shared Inventory. That’s 9-12 seconds total. Good Lord, people.

You don't even have to drag them.

You just put a permanent one in a shared inventory slot and equip an orichalcum one on each character. Then you open your inventory and double-click on the one in your shared inventory and it'll equip it, swapping it with whatever orichalcum tool you have equipped, then when you're done you double click them again to swap the orichalcum one back. A couple of seconds.

• Thanks 1

I have three shared slots dedicated to harvesting tools. Each of my characters have a generic set (copper -> orichalcum) and I swap out the unbreakable/glyphed set each time I use that character. The only downfall is when you change characters and forget to swap them back. Then you have to hunt for which character you used them last or use gw2efficiency.com to do a search.

I wanted a dedicated place for my harvesting tools a while ago because I had limited shared slots, but now I bought three more shared slots just for that purpose.

Quite frankly, I don't think it is worth the time investment to make a shared gathering slot. For one, there are people with multiple gathering tools. Second, we already have a shared inventory slot which lets us change gathering tools extremely fast. If Anet came out with shared gathering slots, I wouldn't buy any because I already have regular shared inventory slots to get the job done.

@Pifil.5193 said:

You don't even have to drag them.

You just put a permanent one in a shared inventory slot and equip an orichalcum one on each character. Then you open your inventory and double-click on the one in your shared inventory and it'll equip it, swapping it with whatever orichalcum tool you have equipped, then when you're done you double click them again to swap the orichalcum one back. A couple of seconds.

Thanks for supporting my point. :)

@Copestetic.5174 said:

You don't need to drag them. Click on gathering slot in Hero panel. It will show all gathering tool of same type in Hero panel. Equip by right click or by click directly the tool you want active.

If you have perm gathering tool in shared inv slot use right click and you should see which one is active and swap it (same way as weapon or armour can be done).

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Quite frankly, I don't think it is worth the time investment to make a shared gathering slot. For one, there are people with multiple gathering tools. Second, we already have a shared inventory slot which lets us change gathering tools extremely fast. If Anet came out with shared gathering slots, I wouldn't buy any because I already have regular shared inventory slots to get the job done.

It boils down too how expensive those special gathering slot vs shared slot would be. If the are in total cheaper (with cost of any perm gathering tool) then it might be worth it for some.

Special material gathering tool bought with Karma can be a problem over time as those eat up more Karma then you get from playing on map which reward Karma. In that case buying perm tool take away that cost and let you use Karma for other thing.

I would love this!The whole system needs an overhaul anyway.It's clunky and item-driven when it could be selectable dropdowns for each slot. Glyphs completely separate from the tools themselves, with their own dropdown (so I don't have to unequip and reequip them), and instead of selling tools with special effects (ie, the karma tools), have temporary glyphs that count down as they succeed.

Not really interested in buying extra shared inventory slots on top of unbreakable gathering tools, so if I wanted to swap all 3 - only having 2 slots for them to sit in - I'd have to spend extra time travelling to and from a bank, or needlessly using up bank tokens anyway.Seems worthwhile to me to have dedicated shared slots for them, though there's no guarantee they wouldn't be made a purchasable extra anyways :/ ha, such is life.

• Like 2

I definitely wouldn’t mind shared tools even if I have purchased a few sets for aesthetic/thematic reasons. I find glyph swapping on my tools tedious especially transferring them over characters. Having a shared set with all-purpose glyphs for multi-character node runs, including new toons and key runners, would make life easier. I mean I wouldn’t mind if they added a second tool set to swap tools on the fly per character but this sounds much better.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/31/2020 at 5:18 PM, Mercutio.6312 said:

Over the years many things that were soulbound have become account bound. You've added shared inventory slots. Now you have announced the Legendary Armory so legendary items become shared. Now, I think it's time to make gathering tools shared as well. My idea is three shared slots for Gathering Tools with the ability to choose different skins for each character.

So true...  just bought 2 unlimited gathering tools and i was so upset to discover it wasn't account-wide-shared item like legendary items.

The unlimited gathering tools are so expensive and in the end we need to rotate them around 6-7 characters in the account.

The solution is so easy too, just need to refer to gathering tools as a new small "armory" for all characters.

I hope the dev team will notice this topic. In the end this will encourage more people to buy more of the unlimited gathering tools.

I can't see any reason that this will not be added into the game.

Edited by idobu.9510
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, idobu.9510 said:

So true...  just bought 2 unlimited gathering tools and i was so upset to discover it wasn't account-wide-shared item like legendary items.

The unlimited gathering tools are so expensive and in the end we need to rotate them around 6-7 characters in the account.

The solution is so easy too, just need to refer to gathering tools as a new small "armory" for all characters.

I hope the dev team will notice this topic. In the end this will encourage more people to buy more of the unlimited gathering tools.

Why would people buy more if all they ever need is 3?

There are people who have bought it for each of their characters.

+ You can already solve this by having normal tools on every character, 3 account wide slots with your unlimited in them.

Dubble click when you login and when you logout then all your characters will have the unlimited tools.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Why would people buy more if all they ever need is 3?

There are people who have bought it for each of their characters.

+ You can already solve this by having normal tools on every character, 3 account wide slots with your unlimited in them.

Dubble click when you login and when you logout then all your characters will have the unlimited tools.

Yes but... You have to buy 3 shared slots then.

And click stuff when you log in and out... 

And while the first point is half serious, they DO cost a bunch, the second point i hope i don't have to explain - isn't. 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would like to have the tools be more easily shared.  Swapping them via shared slots is a bit of a pain, so my main avatar has the one set, the others have whatever they have.

I would not have bought the one set, but they came with one of the 'prepare for' whichever expansion sets. The set had enough other stuff I actually wanted, to make it worthwhile. There is no way I am spending that much for each character to get their own. Materials are only good for filling up a junk bag, and then selling on the trading post. 

Edited by Tukaram.8256
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, idobu.9510 said:

i can some people have like 10 sets of them they would be pissed i only have 2 and thats mainly because my first set coudnt gather volatile magic. 

but yes i agree they should make them work like legendaries. 

Edited by MarkoGold.7126
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1