Fresh server or seasonal server?

This is not so much a serious request, as I don't know if it would be good or bad really. But it would be an interresting discussion.What would you think of a fresh server, where you would have to start over, with content added over time?Maybe doesn't make that much sense to add content over time for GW2, as there is no treadmill, but it would maybe be fun to experience the vanilla game again (keeping QoL would probably be a good idea).Then there's the question of cosmetics. If this would happen I think it would be more interresting if no one had thousand of legendaries, and the dream .. Everything would only be unlockable through gameplay, maybe with a battlepass/subsciption. But first of all, yes never going to happen, second of all, never going to happen with an already shrinking community that would now be split up.. Again, I just thought it would be a fun discussion to see what people would think about this .There is also the possibility of seasonal servers. Mosly a thing in ARPG's, but I believe Black Desert have also done this recently.I think hitting the reset button in an old game can be very fun. Everyone is at the same footing, and you get that "race to lvl cap" again. And there are usually seasonal cosmetic rewards you can earn, look at path of exile etc. The majority of the playerbase is only playing seasonal, but again that game is more suited for it, with the massive skill tree and tons of skill gems. Rerolling builds in GW2 is not really a thing since you can do every build on 1 class.

What do you think, interresting or worst suggestion in the history of mankind?

Seasons worked well for a while in Diablo 3 for me but after so many times I got tired of resetting. I still went on for a bit because I wanted the rewards but at that point it was a "fun-free" grind. I do think seasons could serve a good function for GW2 but would be risky and could go really wrong easily. I still prefer Diablo 3's gear progression to GW2's. It is actually exciting to get drops in that game.

@"Super Hayes.6890" said:Seasons worked well for a while in Diablo 3 for me but after so many times I got tired of resetting. I still went on for a bit because I wanted the rewards but at that point it was a "fun-free" grind. I do think seasons could serve a good function for GW2 but would be risky and could go really wrong easily. I still prefer Diablo 3's gear progression to GW2's. It is actually exciting to get drops in that game.

It would be very risky indeed.Path of Exile fixed this, they add a new mechanic/gamemode and new balance changes and skills every season, it's not just repeat the same thing again and again and again like Diablo 3.But if they were to do that it would take away development from the main server, unless they would just release it for both servers.Also not sure if they would be able to add anything as gamechanging as Path of Exile does every season, they are 2 completely different type of games.

1) You're right. It's never going to happn because you don't want to devide the playerbase between classic and original.2) Nope to everything that has a subscription fee. There are numerous threads about the topic where you can find my own and other peoples reasoning behind it.3) If you keep the QoL stuff like the wardrobe, the wallet easy stat change on ascendedd gear etc. but go back to classic, how much classic are you?4) I doubt that this would be interesting to a lot of people, as you have mentioned, there's no treadmill and not much vertical progression. Reseting everything just doesn't do much.

I wouldn't be interested in such a server just to start over. There is enough horizontal progression and things to do in game as it is to keep me interested. If this would require significant resources to add or maintain, I would rather see the time/money used elsewhere.

@jokke.6239 said:

@"Super Hayes.6890" said:Seasons worked well for a while in Diablo 3 for me but after so many times I got tired of resetting. I still went on for a bit because I wanted the rewards but at that point it was a "fun-free" grind. I do think seasons could serve a good function for GW2 but would be risky and could go really wrong easily. I still prefer Diablo 3's gear progression to GW2's. It is actually exciting to get drops in that game.

It would be very risky indeed.Path of Exile fixed this, they add a new mechanic/gamemode and new balance changes and skills every season, it's not just repeat the same thing again and again and again like Diablo 3.But if they were to do that it would take away development from the main server, unless they would just release it for both servers.Also not sure if they would be able to add anything as gamechanging as Path of Exile does every season, they are 2 completely different type of games.

Except leveling in PoE actually takes a bit of effort whereas it is trivial in GW2. All you would have is having re-obtain cosmetics which doesn't sound particularly interesting. PoE also has a lot more build variety.

Then there are just technical issues. GW2 has enough bugs as it is. Imagine trying to integrate 10 leagues worth of mechanics into a single map for GW2. There aren't enough hours in a day to provide all the hotfixes to keep the servers running. As for balance, that is just going have to be thrown out the window

As an idea I think a seasonal thing would be great for a MMO(and many other types of games that are meant to be ongoing) but it would have to be one where it was designed with that in mind not something you slap on to an existing game like GW2.

If you remove the concerns about comparing yourself to others and wanting to be the first to get a cool skin you already have two options for doing this.

1) Start a new character and only use what they unlock. No levelling though tomes, scrolls or XP boosters (unless they get a booster from somewhere), no equipment from your bank, crafted by other characters or bought from the Trading Post. No skins they haven't discovered yet. No gliding until they reach HoT and no mounts until they reach PoF, and so on. (Although that's one of the nice things about doing it this way - you can decide what's a QoL improvement that should be available from the start, so maybe you can allow gliding right away but no mounts, or allow any wardrobe skins because it's purely cosmetic.)

2) If you don't want to keep track of what they are and aren't allowed to use, or want a more complete experience with re-earning achievements and everything you can start a free account. It's more restrictive of course, but a lot of those restrictions are in-line with what you're suggesting anyway. Nothing will carry over from your main account, you won't be able to buy or sell most items on the TP, no login rewards for easy Tomes of Knowledge and several things are locked until you level up. And of course no mounts or gliding. (I suppose you could even buy a second account if you wanted to start over without the free account restrictions, but I'm not sure it would be worth it.)

I'm technically part-way through doing both of those. I've got a character on my main account doing a variation on an 'Ironman mode' - if she dies I delete her and start over, white quality gear only, no gliding until HoT, no mounts until PoF, nothing she hasn't earned herself. Although I'm allowing wardrobe skins because they don't affect how the character plays. I've also got a second account with a level 40-something character who has been levelled up with no help from my main account (in fact my main account periodially drains materials from the second account, if I need the gold) and a free account with a level 10 character, again totally independant from my others.

I say I'm technically part-way through with all of them because honestly I don't play them much. It's fun for a little while, but this game isn't really that different at lower levels or without account unlocks, so the novelty wears off quickly and then it's just another character repeating base game content. There's nothing wrong with the base game, but I don't think there's any need to create seperate servers just for one version of replaying it.

@jokke.6239 said:

You can level a character to maps in 2 hours if you're a good speedrunner in Path of Exile, for normal players it probably takes up to max 10 hours, after having done it a few times.

But yeah these kind of modes are probably isn't a good fit for Guild Wars 2.Some of the reasonings in this thread I don't agree with, but a lot of what you guys said makes a lot of sense.I will probably go in more depth later, have to be on my way now.

@jokke.6239 said:

You can level a character to maps in 2 hours if you're a good speedrunner in Path of Exile, for normal players it probably takes up to max 10 hours, after having done it a few times.

But yeah these kind of modes are probably isn't a good fit for Guild Wars 2.Some of the reasonings in this thread I don't agree with, but a lot of what you guys said makes a lot of sense.I will probably go in more depth later, have to be on my way now.

Those games are kinda balanced around that. In the span of 2-3 months you can grind your build to godly levels and there isn't that much to improve on in standard, game would get really stale and that's why they have seasons with new quirks every ~3months. In GW2, most of the progression are long term goals, mainly focused on fashion wars and isn't enaugh build variety in both items and traits to warrant restart a every 2-3 months. It would require insane amount of resources to do something similiar in meaningful way, which they don't really have if we judge them by quality of recent patches.