Let us rest from map wide metas

coso.9173

Full map metas are fun to do, but sometimes it's fun to have some maps that have separate events so you can go and travel around doing them in a more relaxed mood.After doing the metas of the newer maps (or any map with a big one) I get really tired, and I'd like to have some more variety. Seeing all those characters at once doing skills and animation is visually exhausting.Since grothmar we've only got maps with a big meta. Bjora 1 has the blizzard, bjora 2 has a world boss, drizzle wood 1 and 2 have a huge meta too.I don't want to be left with my heart beating fast and hands shaking Everytime I play. Sometimes I miss the simpler events of older maps.I hope in the future we have some more variety of the kind of events we get in maps. Maybe for next episode, since we come from a really huge meta event maps now.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love more maps like Frostgorge which have lots of variety and lots of stories across dredge, quaggan, kodan, norn, grawl. You had a variety of organically placed biomes like underwater, tunnels, mines and all interspaces with towers, Kodan ships, Quaggan villages, dredge settlements, a trade trail for Dolyaks, caves.

Grothmar was pretty close to be honest, but Frostgorge is such a great GW2 map, I do think they miss out on not emulating things like that

Forgo the dominion keeper cache events after the south Drizzlewood Coast meta is completed. Use this opportunity to look away from the screen, hydrate, get up and stretch, use the restroom and/or get a snack. Although you may miss out on all or some of the loot, it is a good chance to rest.

Anyway, take care and happy meta-hunting.

Lumbering along on long winded meta chains is exhausting, and its beginning to feel like a cheap way to make the game seem exciting. Tend to find this with TV shows also, where they keep trying to one-up themselves with the next villain or desperate situation. Sometimes chilling back down and focusing on the characters and places again can really breathe life in to a story, and makes the next big event feel that much more epic because it's been given time to stew.

It would definitely be a (re)fresh(ed) tactic at this point - given what's happened with the story recently - to have a story driven map you can explore and unfold through small events and interesting characterisation - basically take a step back from all the high octane action we've had, and have something that's a genuine lore-driven pleasure to roam. A natural 'lull' in the story as it were. Back to doing some small scale adventuring before the inevitable next big battle.

Yes, there's always the option to retrace old maps, but how often can you do that before you need something new?

We asked. They delivered.. Now that they did, you want to change it back.It is never good hehe

Joke aside.Dragon's Stand, Dragonfall and drizzlewood coast are the only full-map meta's where you actually need to participate.. Other than those it doesnt really matter. People have been asking for a map like dragon's stand for ages. So they made dragonfall and now drizzelwood coast.

As well as going to any of the numerous existing maps without a map-wide meta event you can also play on Drizzlewood and simply ignore the meta if you want to. I've done that both while doing the story and while doing map completion or achievements. It can be annoying sometimes if you're ahead of the meta and therefore in enemy territory because there's fewer safe places, but it's not that different to HoT or Orr or other dangerous areas.

It's there as an option if you want to play it, but in my experience the only map where you'll struggle to play without participating in the meta is Dragon's Stand, and even then it's been a long time since it needed a full map to complete it, so you could just follow along behind the groups doing the meta and do your own thing if you wanted to. Or join in with some events if you feel like it and skip others.

@Cronospere.8143 said:We asked. They delivered.. Now that they did, you want to change it back.It is never good hehe

Joke aside.Dragon's Stand, Dragonfall and drizzlewood coast are the only full-map meta's where you actually need to participate.. Other than those it doesnt really matter. People have been asking for a map like dragon's stand for ages. So they made dragonfall and now drizzelwood coast.

Some people asked, some didn't. I personally believe the vocal minority won out.

@Blude.6812 said:

@Cronospere.8143 said:We asked. They delivered.. Now that they did, you want to change it back.It is never good hehe

Some people asked, some didn't. I personally believe the vocal minority won out.

You have dozens of other maps without map wide meta events. Let the “vocal minority” have the few maps that have them.

@yoni.7015 said:

You have dozens of other maps without map wide meta events. Let the “vocal minority” have the few maps that have them.

Who's taking any thing away??????? Not me. I am sure it's going to be a permanent part of the game. Just don't need to see anymore.

@Blude.6812 said:

Who's taking any thing away??????? Not me. I am sure it's going to be a permanent part of the game. Just don't need to see anymore.

Dont need to fight gang both style are leggit and fun in their own way. But I agree for the next one a more relax map would be welcome. Dont get me wrong I enjoy a meta map, but a more exploration focus map would be welcome, no zerk, no world boss, no giga event with 50 people. Just some relax exploration. And than after we can have another meta focus map I dont mind.

Drizzlewood is exhausting but one issue for me is the champion train awkwardly in the middle, and that's mainly because it's just not exciting and rather annoying in general. You have to port and speed to these champions, but half the time you're midair on a skyscale and have to land to be able to port. You get there and fight this bounty boss, loot some chests, and then have to speed to the next one.... like 15 times?

Of course you can choose to just forgo them and wait for the next part of the meta to start. The first part of the meta also still feels like it takes forever to me and still feels like there's a lot of downtime in between capturing bases.

Problem probably is that we've spend almost half a year with only 2 maps (with the excuse of 'expanding them' on new episode), although Bjora isn't really a type of "map wide meta" you really get tired of it right after you complete the chore achievements of completing 30 times each event.

With the normal format we would have 5 maps by now in 5 episodes. But now we only have 4 episodes and an intermission episode, with 2 maps and a hub, its underwhelming, i'm absolute done with Bjora and pretty sure I won't ever go there unless I decide to complete the only achievement i'm missing of beating Drakkar 15 times lol

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Ever since Silverwastes and HoT people have been asking for more build up maps that use larger metas, that's also what added so much longevity to maps. Keep it up.

You mean the yelling minority who always say that everyone want endless big meta events like in Hot? Most people want to relaxely explore, do map completion, do balanced events from little to mid sized, do story. Loottrains who endlessly grind for loot on big meta zerg maps are not the mayority, they are always the same group.

@particlepinata.9865 said:

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Ever since Silverwastes and HoT people have been asking for more build up maps that use larger metas, that's also what added so much longevity to maps. Keep it up.

You mean the yelling minority who always say that everyone want endless big meta events like in Hot? Most people want to relaxely explore, do map completion, do balanced events from little to mid sized, do story. Loottrains who endlessly grind for loot on big meta zerg maps are not the mayority, they are always the same group.

And you’re basing this on what?

I kinda hope for some really immersive maps with a lot of secrets and less action driven stuff.I'm getting tired of a lot of GW2 maps. Each map is starting to feel chaotic, packed with too much action and with very little mystery to it.I'm truly having a hard time immersing myself because of:

• NPCs constantly shouting and talking as you go (events, random chatter etc)
  • Random event popping up just as you found a cozy spot to enjoy in.
  • Big meta coming with bad FPS
  • Leyline trails adding bad visual noise
  • Orbs of volatile energy/karma/skyscale stuff
  • Giant tornadoes
  • Colors that burn your eyes like with Draconis Mons, Bloodstone...
  • A lot of NPCs moving around with a lot of events
  • Music that is sometimes out of place in the given map (Why do we have Tangled Depths and Dragonstand music playing in Drizzlewood????)

Just my 2 cents here, as these are the factors actually preventing me from feeling immersed with the world.I really loved a lot of PoF maps though, as they had that sense of mystery in them.

I mean you have no real way to saying who is the minority or majority in this sense.

One of the complaints seen a lot is that once the story is done you had absolutely no reason to be on that map anymore. New story, new map,new story , new map, new story new map..

If Anet has seen better player map retention by doing this design than the previous one they would keep on making them this way. There is room for a mixture of map types though but whatever is the best RoI for them is something they would lean towards.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Comveniantly cutting out the original post i was responding to, classy. I was responding to the unfunded claim that 'the people' want this sort of meta maps, which is not right only a vocal minority (on reddit especially) asked for this sort of maps. No one else. Unless i have missed a player wide poll...

Comveniantly cutting out the original post i was responding to, classy. I was responding to the unfunded claim that 'the people' want this sort of meta maps, which is not right only a vocal minority (on reddit especially) asked for this sort of maps. No one else. Unless i have missed a player wide poll...

I didn’t cut out anything.

There are people that have asked for it on the forums and reddit. There are also those that wanted it but did not post about it. We don’t know what this percentage is which is kind of the point. The person wasn’t making the claim that the majority favored one way or the other; that was you.

@"TheGrimm.5624" said:Ever since Silverwastes and HoT people have been asking for more build up maps that use larger metas, that's also what added so much longevity to maps. Keep it up.

I used 'people' and not 'the people' since I was referring to some number more than 1 but not using everyone since as you pointed out it hasn't been everyone. But its has been requested in the past on these forums, myself included, where people have asked for more chained events. Posts like that have been around before and since PoF. Various posters, if you would prefer, complained they don't go to PoF maps because there was nothing really to do. We do have people that will like different things, and as pointed out above we should assume (hopefully) that ANet is using internal metrics (which would be the player wide polls substitute) to determine activity levels on the various maps. From there I would hope they review the styles of those maps to determine what keeps people playing on those maps.

So now that I have explained I was not implying for all or even used a number, mind explaining the basis for your "Most" people source?

Besides, what prevents a player from exploring or just joining and then leaving as they will a meta map event? These are not mutually exclusive. You can always choose not to do a meta but you can't do a meta if there isn't one already there. Stories are already built into the map and not sure how you define a balanced event so unclear what you mean there. Point is replayability is important and for the posters that have posted about this in the past, replayability has been a factor which has been linked to building map metas. So for me, no, keep it up. Good hunting!