Aviator memory boxes in treasure chests

The point trolls and sympathizers don't understand is that NO ONE should workaround the UI interactors to get something they played for because a handful of people thinks it's a funny thing.

Of course, in Auric Basin's Grand Chests it's a useless prank but people don't stop in there. Still, in Auric Basin people drop such items in Traitor's reward chest, an enemy that's known to knock own several players at once and by having an item activated by "pressing F" while trying to resurrecting downed people also by "pressing F" delays the resurrector's time to loot everything. What if this player suddenly gets a disconnection and sent to another map instance? Will he/she really be prejudiced because of prank?

Or in Tangled Depth with people that fly high up the wall that explodes after a successfully completed meta and drop a portal up there and the exit near a Crystallised Cache? Someone lagging may not react in time to glide and will certainly fall to their deaths. Is this fun? is this fair? Will this topic be silently deleted once again?

Please ArenaNet, before someone sues you for this little thing.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people overreact on such minor things?Click the Chest and press >F< or the Key you bound on Use.If you still somehow manage to Use the Aviator Box, just Use it again, or enjoy your T-Pose until you no longer and quickly Re-Log, not really an issue.

I love the Aviator Box, it such a genius Item.

I cannot understand why people think this shit is funny and I cannot comprehend how people are victim blaming in this threadLast night after reset I went auric basin and trolls were dropping merchants AND aviator boxes on every single fkin chest after the meta and people were getting pretty pissed off. There are certain setting combinations in the options that make it very difficult to interact with the correct item.

It doesn't bother me personally too much but I can understand the frustration of others and cannot believe the idiocy of people in this thread defending what is clearly intentional disruption and harassment of other players

@melody.2601 said:Why do people overreact on such minor things?Click the Chest and press >F< or the Key you bound on Use.If you still somehow manage to Use the Aviator Box, just Use it again, or enjoy your T-Pose until you no longer and quickly Re-Log, not really an issue.

I love the Aviator Box, it such a genius Item.

For those that like to plant them on top of things. that is.

@Sammy.3571 said:Dev team could you please do something to stop people from putting Aviator Memory Boxes, black lion traders and such in treasure chests and such.

while it doesnt bother me (since i've learned to click on the chest before pressing F):

one solution the devs could do, to solve your issue, is to make it so player-placed interactable objects cannot stack with environment/map interactable objects... though it's such a trivial matter/issue (if at all) that i doubt the devs would do anything about it. (well, maybe if the whole half of the entire active playerbase complains lol)

@TrOtskY.5927 said:I cannot understand why people think this kitten is funny and I cannot comprehend how people are victim blaming in this threadLast night after reset I went auric basin and trolls were dropping merchants AND aviator boxes on every single kitten chest after the meta and people were getting pretty pissed off. There are certain setting combinations in the options that make it very difficult to interact with the correct item.

It doesn't bother me personally too much but I can understand the frustration of others and cannot believe the idiocy of people in this thread defending what is clearly intentional disruption and harassment of other players

MMO: You either learn to deal with other peoples BS or you stop playing MMOs. After years of playing MMOs, i'm finally reaching my limit of dealing with other people and their garbage.People are defending it propably because they do it themselves, they find it funny or most likely both, not like there can be any other reason for it.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@TrOtskY.5927 said:I cannot understand why people think this kitten is funny and I cannot comprehend how people are victim blaming in this threadLast night after reset I went auric basin and trolls were dropping merchants AND aviator boxes on every single kitten chest after the meta and people were getting pretty pissed off. There are certain setting combinations in the options that make it very difficult to interact with the correct item.

MMO: You either learn to deal with other peoples BS or you stop playing MMOs. After years of playing MMOs, i'm finally reaching my limit of dealing with other people and their garbage.People are defending it propably because they do it themselves, they find it funny or most likely both, not like there can be any other reason for it.

You learn to live with it and if people stoped complaining in map chat the doers would get bored when no reaction and stop by themselfs.

In AB, if it doesn't say "Dissolve" or "Open", then don't click on it. That said, this griefing is annoying for newer players unaware of clicking a second time to dismiss the effect. There should be a way to leave the transform, like right-clicking on the effect, or something. The box is lame af.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been complained multiple times since the very beginning, I myself have a post about it with screenshots. This is not limited to Aviators or Bobbleheads, but ports are also used. I know I have been ported in a wall one time while trying to open a chest.

This is an easy fix for ArenaNet. Check if you are trying to pop an item or port near a chest and not allow it, and show a red message saying "You are not allowed to use item blah blah near a chest blah blah".

Why ArenaNet have not done such a thing is a mystery.

While often you can just manually click on a chest to select it to open, there are some player dropped items and loot chests where the chest is smaller than the item placed on it, making clicking on it not an option.

My annoyance isn't when people make my character make plane noises, that has never bothered me.It is when people make it tedious or sometimes impossible to collect loot.

A funny in-game prank shouldn't waste other people's time. Not everyone has a lot of that, making it a precious commodity to them.

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:While often you can just manually click on a chest to select it to open, there are some player dropped items and loot chests where the chest is smaller than the item placed on it, making clicking on it not an option.

My annoyance isn't when people make my character make plane noises, that has never bothered me.It is when people make it tedious or sometimes impossible to collect loot.

A funny in-game prank shouldn't waste other people's time. Not everyone has a lot of that, making it a precious commodity to them.

while im fine with people attempting to troll (since you can just click the chest before pressing F, as said multiple times), but if they do this, it's totally unacceptable:d9ztJ6e.png

if it's part of a meta/mechanics/important interactable, you shouldn't be able to place any object/items/portals on it

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:While often you can just manually click on a chest to select it to open, there are some player dropped items and loot chests where the chest is smaller than the item placed on it, making clicking on it not an option.

while im fine with people attempting to troll (since you can just click the chest before pressing F, as said multiple times), but if they do this, it's totally unacceptable:
d9ztJ6e.png

if it's part of a meta/mechanics/important interactable, you shouldn't be able to place any object/items/portals on it

I think anet did patch that to give priority to the harpoons but yeah, that was a problem for a while.

I have myself only seen people place portals right under the mistborn loot coffers in the dragonfall meta event after killing the bonus bosses, but it is indeed very annoying. Once you realise what they are doing it's fairly easy to ignore, however for people that use it accidentally it is frustrating and also wastes valuable time needed to kill all the bonus bosses before the time limit ends.

@Linken.6345 said:

You learn to live with it and if people stoped complaining in map chat the doers would get bored when no reaction and stop by themselfs.

Nah, they never get bored. But maybe if enough people speak up against it, hopefully Anet will just remove new drops and from being purchased, letting a bad idea just disappear. Of course anet could make it so nothing (vendors, fun boxes, etc.) couldn't be placed on nodes, chests etc.

Yesterday someone was spamming aviator memory boxes and the other things on chests after the dragonfall meta event despite no one complaining. Kind of weird that people get a kick out of making it harder for others to get loot. Wouldn't take much effort from Anet to prevent spawning these things on chests at least.

Those boxes are more annoyance than fun, they should only be allowed in town, not in the chest room. I personally don't mind them before, but ever since I encountered the bullies who always drop one in chest IN EVERY SINGLE META, I secretly hope that I have the psychic power to delete this troll encouragement from the game. Of course after fallen into victim a few times, I learnt how to disable it right after and to avoid it, but still it slows down the chest looting and fun value decreased. This item shouldn't exist to discourage players from enjoying the game, therefore the dev should do something about it to save their players' sanity. Also, please do something about the troll-portal hotspot too. I beg you.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@DarkEmiLupus.2876 said:Can we have an interface option to dissable the use of these things? So the people that like to use it can toggle on and the people don't like it can toggle off. Everyone happy!!! Well maybe not the trolls but the rest can play fine.

Enable/disable player novelties.Enable/disable player portals.Show/hide player effectsShow/hide player mount skinsShow/hide the models of users on your block list

These are the things I think about late at night.

First of all, we should get an upgraded block system. If you block someone, that person’s appearance becomes blacked out and you cannot interact with them in any way. If you block a player, they won’t be able to receive boons, heals, food, banners, or portals from you, and vice versa.

Second, portals and items placed should tell you who placed them when hovering your mouse over them. That way these trolls can be mass ignored by anyone who doesn’t feel like putting up with their silly tricks.

These trolling tactics have no place in a game that doesn’t offer PK.