Daily Ranked PvP Achievements

Sneakers.8462

There is a lot of talk currently among the community that rating means nothing and has no value to it. Recently it occurred to me that the Daily Challenges are a contributing factor to this.

The Daily achievements are a great way of incentive's players into PvP as a game mode but provides little to no incentive into actually winning, competing, or caring about improving. I have encountered many players who have openly admitted they are only here for dailies and do not care about the games. They will just happily play until they get carried to a win for the rewards. In unranked, I can accept this as there is nothing on the line, no risks. But in ranked, rating is at stake. For those players who might still care about their rating and wanting to climb the ranks, this type of behavior has a negative impact on the experience.

@"Broady.2358" said:There is a lot of talk currently among the community that rating means nothing and has no value to it. Recently it occurred to me that the Daily Challenges are a contributing factor to this.

The Daily achievements are a great way of incentive's players into PvP as a game mode but provides little to no incentive into actually winning, competing, or caring about improving. I have encountered many players who have openly admitted they are only here for dailies and do not care about the games. They will just happily play until they get carried to a win for the rewards. In unranked, I can accept this as there is nothing on the line, no risks. But in ranked, rating is at stake. For those players who might still care about their rating and wanting to climb the ranks, this type of behavior has a negative impact on the experience.

While I do not advocate to remove rewards since it will imho completely kill the almost dead real sPvP population, I can share a recent _'What the actual kitten'_experience I had recently. I occasionally participate in daily ATs, I'm by no means a PvP god, but I do think that ATs actually are more "serious" and require more commitment from the team who bothers to enrol. ATs were flooded by pver's after the legi amu got released, but that wave seems to be thankfully on decline now as more folks get their shinies. However, the other day I joined a 'casual' AT team through LFG system. Yes, I know it's my fault here, but I literally logged on 1 minute before the AT started and that was the only group in LFG there, so I hopped on.

There were 20 or 22 teams in total, the team was OK - I didn't expect much, and we even managed to finish 14th - a good result for really casual team from my POV. But what baffled me, was the comment of one of the teammates when the rewards window popped....S/he was super upset and salty because we didn't get " PvP POTIONS....PVP POTIONS !!!!! TWO. KITTEN. PVP. POTIONS ---the "reward" for participation! Basically, that person didn't care what place we scored, how well or bad we performed, neither that person would ever care to improve....because all that s/he wanted was TWO. KITTEN potions ---- the reward for those ending up lower than 16th place. I don't even know what to say about those with such attitude in ATs.

@ollbirtan.2915 said:

@"Broady.2358" said:There is a lot of talk currently among the community that rating means nothing and has no value to it. Recently it occurred to me that the Daily Challenges are a contributing factor to this.

While I do not advocate to remove rewards since it will imho completely kill the almost dead real sPvP population, I can share a recent _'What the actual kitten'_experience I had recently. I occasionally participate in daily ATs, I'm by no means a PvP god, but I do think that ATs actually are more "serious" and require more commitment from the team who bothers to enrol. ATs were flooded by pver's after the legi amu got released, but that wave seems to be thankfully on decline now as more folks get their shinies. However, the other day I joined a 'casual' AT team through LFG system. Yes, I know it's my fault here, but I literally logged on 1 minute before the AT started and that was the only group in LFG there, so I hopped on.

There were 20 or 22 teams in total, the team was OK - I didn't expect much, and we even managed to finish 14th - a good result for really casual team from my POV. But what baffled me, was the comment of one of the teammates when the rewards window popped....S/he was super upset and salty because we didn't get " PvP POTIONS....PVP POTIONS !!!!! TWO. KITTEN. PVP. POTIONS ---the "reward" for participation! Basically, that person didn't care what place we scored, how well or bad we performed, neither that person would ever care to improve....because all that s/he wanted was TWO. KITTEN potions ---- the reward for those ending up lower than 16th place. I don't even know what to say about those with such attitude in ATs.

She may have been trying to farm the potions because it takes a few hundred of them for guild hall upgrades and since they are account bound need to be farmed instead of just bought off the tp (or pay someone to donate them if can). In that case the potions are much more valuable to them than the little reward track progress they give.

@ArthurDent.9538 said:

She may have been trying to farm the potions because it takes a few hundred of them for guild hall upgrades and since they are account bound need to be farmed instead of just bought off the tp (or pay someone to donate them if can). In that case the potions are much more valuable to them than the little reward track progress they give.

I understand that there maybe a reason behind, but I don't think people with such mindset should come to ATs. I mean, that person could've been throwing on purpose too to get these OMG 2 potions.

@Broady.2358 said:The Daily achievements are a great way of incentive's players into PvP as a game mode but provides little to no incentive into actually winning, competing, or caring about improving. I have encountered many players who have openly admitted they are only here for dailies and do not care about the games. They will just happily play until they get carried to a win for the rewards. In unranked, I can accept this as there is nothing on the line, no risks. But in ranked, rating is at stake. For those players who might still care about their rating and wanting to climb the ranks, this type of behavior has a negative impact on the experience.

me me me!!! i only care about getting just the dailies done, cant even do tourna because of timezone difference

BUT!!! here's the counter pointif you want the daily match win, you must put in efforts, there is big difference between getting it done with a single match over multiple matchesyou'll have more time to do other things; I have a 9-5 job, I always tries to get win on the first match so I can go other things in game

the problem why the larger part of the community do not care about ratings, because the rating is not a true picture of a player's true skill level when it's 5v5 team environment, you can still lose a game if other members of your team do stupid things... when people go through enough of these, they become don't give a shit

but let's assume the ratings are a true reflection of player skills, the other problem is player population, ideally, you want all 10 players are about the same ratingsbut there are insufficient players within the queue, so the least thing should be done is evenly distribute the matchupHere's a real match data from Ben, he did not think this match arrangement was 'a problem', 4/5 on a team had higher ratings, and they obliterated the other team1411, 1365, 1298, 1297, 1229vs1402, 1351, 1309, 1276, 1214

Thanks for responses folks. I am all for rewards in ranked and PvP but they should not be given out for participating. They should be for doing well, improving and winning. I'd like to see the higher your rating, the better rewards you get. For example, having your repeatable chest depend on what rank you are, like Platinum 2+ gets Byzantium repeatable while Bronze would get a lower one.

The thing is ... rating isn't important. Having a visible rating in the first place generates a toxic community with certain types of players that only play for the rating. There should be no visible rating. (Only hidden for matchmaking.) Just playing for the fun.

@Luthan.5236 said:The thing is ... rating isn't important. Having a visible rating in the first place generates a toxic community with certain types of players that only play for the rating. There should be no visible rating. (Only hidden for matchmaking.) Just playing for the fun.

I disagree and so will competitive players. PvP is much more enjoyable when something is on the line, some sort of risk. Yes, the losses are much more annoying but winning is that much more satisfying. PvP is all about being a better player than your opponent. Do players do raids for fun? No, they do them for the exclusive rewards. No one gets raid rewards for participating. PvP should have something exclusive to show off to others.

Having rating does not create a toxic community, instead rating creates a competitive environment. Neglect for the game mode, terrible balance, irregular updates, lack of innovation and no communication from Arenanet created a toxic community.