Kick zones in storyline missions: Isn't there a better way?

Many times I've been kicked out of a mission because I entered the red area on the map.Usually because I want to move on, explore or have my attention to the mission instead of the map. Usually the tolerances are quite slim so before I read the warning I can be booted from the mission already. And when I re-enter the mission, I usually lose progress.

Can't we get rid of the kicking and the kick zones? Isn't there a more friendly method to point players to where they can go for the next action?Kick zones are especially annoying when they get paired with unskippable dialogs and when re-doing a mission.

@"coso.9173" said:they could always use the open world approach they use, "a strong current/wind/force/whatever brings you back

It does that in some lower level story instances too, you just get teleported back if you try to leave the instance area.

I'm not quite sure why they change it to kicking you at higher levels but I prefer the teleport option because sometimes I've accidentally gone over the border, especially when using mounts. It almost happened in the latest story too, during the part where you clear ice from a cave. I didn't realise I'd missed one tiny chunk off to one side, so when the path was clear I went to continue through the cave and just managed to stop in time when the warning came up.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:Kick zones in storyline missions: Isn't there a better way?

I keep asking myself the same thing. After all, in open world maps, when you venture too far, you a rubber-banded back to the last valid location. Why can't they do this for story missions?

@Mewcifer.5198 said:I can't say I have every experienced this problem except on very very rare occasions.

Yes, rare, but still annoying when it happens. ;) The last time I recall (maybe half a year ago?), an enemy pushed me into the red zone and thereby out of the instance. Fun. Not.

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:I can't say I have every experienced this problem except on very very rare occasions.It's a very common problem if you're doing the instance with someone else. There's a lot of story instances that keep moving the "inaccessible" area around as soon as the next checkpoint is triggered, and if that second person is not close to the first one when that happens, they often get kicked out instantly. Extra points when the person that triggered the inaccessible area resize was not the instance owner.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:I can't say I have every experienced this problem except on very very rare occasions.It's a very common problem if you're doing the instance with someone else. There's a lot of story instances that keep moving the "inaccessible" area around as soon as the next checkpoint is triggered, and if that second person is not close to the first one when that happens, they often get kicked out instantly. Extra points when the person that triggered the inaccessible area resize was
not
the instance owner.

Ah yeah, I have heard complaints of that before, it had slipped my mind. That is a problem

• 1 month later...

The problem with the red zones is how they interact with movement abilities, and particularly mounts. Being one misclick away from erasing as much as 40 mins of progress for some missions doesn't make sense, especially when sucking and dying 5 times in a row doesn't even reset the boss fight. If you accidentally use the rapor move ability in the wrong direction, for example, you are immediately dismounted and kicked before being given a chance to get back.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Mewcifer.5198" said:I can't say I have every experienced this problem except on very very rare occasions.It's a very common problem if you're doing the instance with someone else. There's a lot of story instances that keep moving the "inaccessible" area around as soon as the next checkpoint is triggered, and if that second person is not close to the first one when that happens, they often get kicked out instantly. Extra points when the person that triggered the inaccessible area resize was
not
the instance owner.

Even when doing it solo that can b e a problem and especially in instances where you can use mounts. You are basically always one raptor jump away from being kicked.

moving into the red zone is a good way to get out of instances early but a button for that would also work. especially when the red zone is the reason why you want to leave as it just kicked a group member out.

never use a beetle in an instance is what we learned on the sniper mission in LS4. the beetle dismount from inside the fort puts you in the red zone and out of the instance.in LS5 half the group walked straight into the red zone as it was the path we were heading just that some NPC didn't finish talking. so back again.

there are definitely far better ways than the current red zone, even if it only is a bigger movable area, some instances have extremely tight zones.

A bigger playable area and/or invisible walls blocking most of these parts instead would be nice. That way people that want to leave the instance can still do it, but people that don't will be less bothered by these. In some other MMOs I have played, you could simply leave instances at anytime with an immediately accessible option instead of entering a no-go zone, and it seems like it might work better here to allow invisible walls to prevent reaching any unintended areas.