The visual appearance of [spoilers]

Daniel Handler.4816

@Kalavier.1097 said:

@Sykper.6583 said:It might be weird for me to say, but is it
really odd
that Elder Dragons might appear differently over time? Perhaps Jormag did originally have teeth and not tusks but opted to grow the tusks, one of which was his broken tooth as a show of strength to recover from whatever efforts Aesgeir did back then, to show they were fruitless.

Elder Dragons are powerful, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they could alter their appearance, especially out of spite.

I mean, let's look at Aurene as an example of this.

First she appeared pretty flat-faced, sharing many traits with Mordremoth facially wise, alongside a squat body. When she absorbed Balthazar she grew a fair bit, her facial structure changing. As she got more power she grew more crystals/glowed.

When she ascended to Elder Dragon status, her entire skull shape changed drastically again.

We also see Kralkatorrik absorb a bunch of energy from Balthazar and change very little in his appearance too though.

@Tyson.5160 said:

really odd
that Elder Dragons might appear differently over time? Perhaps Jormag did originally have teeth and not tusks but opted to grow the tusks, one of which was his broken tooth as a show of strength to recover from whatever efforts Aesgeir did back then, to show they were fruitless.

Elder Dragons are powerful, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they could alter their appearance, especially out of spite.

First she appeared pretty flat-faced, sharing many traits with Mordremoth facially wise, alongside a squat body. When she absorbed Balthazar she grew a fair bit, her facial structure changing. As she got more power she grew more crystals/glowed.

When she ascended to Elder Dragon status, her entire skull shape changed drastically again.

We also see Kralkatorrik absorb a bunch of energy from Balthazar and change very little in his appearance too though.

Depending how you view the model swaps (storm form Kralk vs physical form kralk). Of course, Kralk got less of Balthazar then Aurene did, or it was split evenly. Kralk already had huge amounts of magic.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

really odd

Counter argument: Aurene was growing from baby to adult, the Elder Dragons are all fully-grown.

While it certainly is plausible that the Elder Dragons could evolve over 200 years (or 250 years for Primordus), Aurene's not a good example because her appearances are part of her puberty, whereas the Elder Dragons are all full grown adults.

While true I suppose, Vlast as a child shared many traits with Glint, even though his adult form was different. Though we know that Glint was transformed into what she was at some point and was once flesh and blood.

I'm more thinking of EDs changing their forms out of practicality or personal motive.

Primmy I think is a good example, from GW1 to GW2 his appearance changed to something far more bloated and massive, at least his face indicates he went through an eating phase. But he's been dormant mostly, so I assume his appearance changed for practicality, growing massive for storing more Magic.

I don't think Aurene is a good example right now of appearance changes, her appearance might be the more natural growth of an ED. Who knows, maybe down the line she changes forms to fit the occasion.

@"Kalavier.1097" said:Depending how you view the model swaps (storm form Kralk vs physical form kralk). Of course, Kralk got less of Balthazar then Aurene did, or it was split evenly. Kralk already had huge amounts of magic.

He had the same model from PoF in A Star to Guide Us, well after he not only absorbed Balthazar's magic, but got accustomed to it.

Also? Kralkatorrik got more of Balthazar than Aurene. Aurene only absorbed magic in the epicenter of the storm which raged across Vabbi, and Kralkatorrik absorbed everything else.

While true I suppose, Vlast as a child shared many traits with Glint, even though his adult form was different. Though we know that Glint was transformed into what she was at some point and was once flesh and blood.

That's a poor comparison. Eye of the North cut a lot of corners when it came to new models. Vlast being a literal shrunken Glint is one of them. Vlast didn't just "share many traits with Glint", it was the exact same model, just smaller.

Besides (and this goes to @"Sykper.6583" too with the Primordus model comparison), there's often drastic model design changes between the two games. Most prime example being hydras - from this:Hydra_%28Crystal_Desert%29.jpg

To this:Veteran_Fire_Hydra.jpg

And it's nothing more than a design change, a retcon if you will, and not an actual mutation or evolution.

@Kalavier.1097 said:Well, we have elements of both aspects happening within GW2. For example, Drakkar is explicitly referenced as changing from the frozen GW1 form to the form he appears as in GW2.

I would say that it’s a slight different situation as it’s a dragon champion. As well as Jormag placing the new dragon energies into Drakkar.

@Kalavier.1097 said:Well, we have elements of both aspects happening within GW2. For example, Drakkar is explicitly referenced as changing from the frozen GW1 form to the form he appears as in GW2.

Drakkar is a mixed bag, because on top of lore pointing out that he's decayed due to exposure to elements, and absorbing the magic of the Lost Spirits and dead Elder Dragons, Drakkar was redesigned outside of lore too - the only aspect of his body that they focused on maintaining was the silhouette of the head. They ignored the old appearance of the legs and tail.