Why there are so many Charr plot in the Jormag story arc and Norn got pushed aside?

Slowpokeking.8720

Charrbrood Saga, thats all...I really wanted to get in this season LW, saga or whatever you wanna call it, but this is just extremelly bad to the point it hurts...its less about Jormag and the prophecy(its funny they keep contradicting their own lore over and over again) and more really about Bangar, Ryland and his parents and the Charr Imperators...the spirits of the wild just got reduced to a bunch of stupid mini games without any actual purpose...since I started playing this game years ago I was really excited to get the fight to Jormag and see how Anet would explore the Norn lore, the prophecy and the Spirits of the Wild...but now I just want it to end it to be honest.The moment I read that book, The Burden I just lost all interest in the story.

@Felipe.1807 said:the spirits of the wild just got reduced to a bunch of stupid mini games without any actual purpose...Yeah man, they only empowered Braham so he could kill Drakkar, and likewise opened up a passage that allowed us to get to Bangar before he could go even further. Braham causing Owl's return also gave Jormag a big power boost, which will have consequences later. Not to mention Raven's magic being not only being used by the Fraenir to attack us, but also to find and stop him in episode 1. And Wolf being in episode 2 to help Braham learn what he needed to unlock his spirit totem transformation, as well putting him on the path to get the lesser Spirits help so he could defeat Drakkar in the first place.

But no, there is no purpose besides mini-games. Nope. All that Spirits of the Wild plot critical stuff in episode 1, 2, and 4, never happened.

@Felipe.1807 said:The moment I read that book, The Burden I just lost all interest in the story.Funny, this made me like the story a lot more. It turned Asgeir from a boring, one dimensional, messiah figure into an actual character with conflict and depth.

Contrast the Norn spirits with the belief systems of other races. The Eternal Alchemy beat two dragons. A single de-powered human deity was a campaign. I'm fairly certain there's also an argument to be made that he was winning against Kralk. The Norn spirits aren't on the tier of other races. This of course works because the Norn are not on the tier of the other races. They're incompetent, overly hasty, and Braham. Ogres have a more developed society than Norn! Whatever they were supposed to be at the start, they've been undeveloped to the status of what GW2 refers to as a "minor" race".

@"Finalfreefall.8247" said:A single de-powered human deity was a campaign.

I mean, Balthazar had absorbed the power of an entire Bloodstone, as well as zapping a ton of power from both Primordus and Jormag. He was only "de-powered" from his god magic, he still had more power then pretty much any living entity besides the Elder Dragons when we fought him.

There is a distinct difference between the Norn and Charr story. The Charr story bravely deconstructs Charr culture, explores their culture realistically. The Norn story is driven by fantasy cliches. Hopefully, at least from my perspective, Norn culture gets deconstructed. Judging from the response of many Charr fans, Norn fans would likely go from asking for more representation to resenting the studio deconstructing Norn culture.

The Burden is hopefully a sign that the studio is willing to deconstruct Norn culture. I hope the reaction from Charr fans hasn't changed their minds.

Given the 5 episodes and 1 vision. I found that both races had a good deal of representation so far in the saga, with most likely 4 more episodes and at the very least 2 more visions. Even GW1 didn’t have a crazy amount of time dealing with the Norn, so the pool of information isn’t exactly huge.

@Psientist.6437 said:There is a distinct difference between the Norn and Charr story. The Charr story bravely deconstructs Charr culture, explores their culture realistically. The Norn story is driven by fantasy cliches. Hopefully, at least from my perspective, Norn culture gets deconstructed.

I can certainly see the fantasy cliches (particularly in Episode 2), but I see it more as the norn having their lore explored. Charr, unlike norn, have had detailed lore for years, since 2007 at the very least with The Ecology of the Charr doc. Norn, however, only have highlights of post-GW1 lore, and have been severely lacking any and all pre-GW1 lore. The Icebrood Saga, piece by piece, is adding to that pre-GW1 lore.

Before you can deconstruct lore, you need to construct it, and that's what Icebrood Saga is doing for norn in the background with the Raven Sanctum, Sanctum of the Wild, etc.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Psientist.6437 said:There is a distinct difference between the Norn and Charr story. The Charr story bravely deconstructs Charr culture, explores their culture realistically. The Norn story is driven by fantasy cliches. Hopefully, at least from my perspective, Norn culture gets deconstructed.

I can certainly see the fantasy cliches (particularly in Episode 2), but I see it more as the norn having their lore explored. Charr, unlike norn, have had detailed lore for years, since 2007 at the very least with The Ecology of the Charr doc. Norn, however, only have highlights of post-GW1 lore, and have been severely lacking any and all pre-GW1 lore. The Icebrood Saga, piece by piece, is adding to that pre-GW1 lore.

Before you can deconstruct lore, you need to construct it, and that's what Icebrood Saga is doing for norn in the background with the Raven Sanctum, Sanctum of the Wild, etc.

The most obvious fantasy cliche is Braham becoming the Norn of destiny. The Nature Spirits are a little cliche but become less cliche and just tropes as they get fleshed out and made unique. If the studio does decide to deconstruct Norn culture I hope they deal with the codependency between a culture that 'worships' heroes and magical spirits that feed the culture talk of destiny. In many ways, deconstructing Charr culture is easy compared to Norn culture. After the civil war, Charr will have more agency. If the studio focuses on Nature spirits and increases the validity of their voice, Norn risk losing agency and becoming more of a stereotype.

Is the premise of the 'Norn of destiny' based on the nature spirits ability to see the future?