Anniversary sale 2020 coming soon ?

Hello all. I been playing so many different games I get exhausted. But I know every year around august guild wars 2 has a super gem shop sale.

Anybody have any tips or ideas about 2020 ?

I am thinking about buying 200$ worth of gems. Just preparing for some sales and discounts.

I have a list of account improvements I want to do. Anybody have any info ?

Well better stock up and get ready. Goodluck all and be well.

August? If I need items it's now, not in august when I may not want them anymore after waiting so much. I have one major complain about anniversary sales: it always starts with the 2000 gems packs, very annoying. Can't the outfits and character/bag/build/bank expansions come first?

Well if you spend gems smart, you can get some savings.

It supports the company and also saves you some money.

I understand impulse buying is addictive and painful. I hope you get some time to take a break or find love or something

Now I know not everybody has a lot of money. Sorry about that. But August is basically a gem hoarders paradise of deals.

I haven't spent gems in many months in any of my accounts. I have 3 accounts with both expacks in each.

But august is a good time if you spend smart and have some control. It's good for more of the account improvements not so much unique skins or stuff.

I am sorry bro. I hope I didn't make you mad.

Any ways. Be ready for good deals. Your impulse spending habits will hurt the most on august more than any other month of the year.

Well goodluck friend.

@"hugo.4705" said:August? If I need items it's now, not in august when I may not want them anymore after waiting so much. I have one major complain about anniversary sales: it always starts with the 2000 gems packs, very annoying. Can't the outfits and character/bag/build/bank expansions come first?

Then buy them now and don't complain when they go on sale? This comment makes very little sense to me.

"I don't like anniversary sales because they don't happen when I want the item at a discount."

The game's anniversary is at the end of August (the 25th was the first day of head-start, and the official release date was the 28th) so any sales, events etc. tend to be focused around the end of the month. It's highly unlikely gem store sales will start in July.

Also while it's a good idea to stock up on gems bought with gold in advance because the price tends to go up during sales (or when new items are released) there's no need to do that for gems bought with real money because they price is always the same and there's no discount for buying them in bulk. Personally I'd rather set some money aside but only actually buy gems when there's something I want in the store. That way if the items I'm hoping for aren't included in the sale I can use the money for something else instead. There's no guarentee specific items will be included. One year I decided I'd definitely get a bank tab when they came up in the sale...then I ended up waiting until January for them to be discounted.

@hugo.4705 said:August? If I need items it's now, not in august when I may not want them anymore after waiting so much. I have one major complain about anniversary sales: it always starts with the 2000 gems packs, very annoying. Can't the outfits and character/bag/build/bank expansions come first?

Your post is a good example of why they do it that way. If they put the obviously more desirable items up first (or put everything up together) players would buy the things they definitely want and probably skip most/all the other items because they've already spent the gold/gems/cash they had saved up. If they put the less desirable items up first some people will buy them on impulse or because it's the best of what's currently available and they're not sure what else there will be, then they're more likely to buy additional gems later on for the things they really want. And more likely to buy them with real money because the gold price has shot up.

Also if there's things you need now there's two options: buy them now at full price (assuming it's things which are always available like the character, bank and bag expansions you listed), or wait and if you don't want them anymore but the time they are on sale you can conclude you never wanted them that much anyway and you've saved yourself some money by waiting.

@hugo.4705 said:August? If I need items it's now, not in august when I may not want them anymore after waiting so much. I have one major complain about anniversary sales: it always starts with the 2000 gems packs, very annoying. Can't the outfits and character/bag/build/bank expansions come first?

No, it’s a marketing tactic to get you to spend the gems you got in preparation for the sales. Then when what you originally wanted pops up towards the end, you gotta buy more gems

@Memoranda.9386 said:

@"hugo.4705" said:August? If I need items it's now, not in august when I may not want them anymore after waiting so much. I have one major complain about anniversary sales: it always starts with the 2000 gems packs, very annoying. Can't the outfits and character/bag/build/bank expansions come first?

Then buy them now and don't complain when they go on sale? This comment makes very little sense to me.

"I don't like anniversary sales because they don't happen when I want the item at a discount."

You know I would like to, but they aren't in store. Don't see how you understood that, would not comment if it was available. Logic.

I'm not at all saying I want sales featuring what I want to happens when I want, I don't even care of discount. It's about the availability of the items along the year regarding when you need them. Not 100% items are available everytime.You assume everybody can spend their money when they want on anything along the year: Nope.

@Fenom.9457 said:

No, it’s a marketing tactic to get you to spend the gems you got in preparation for the sales. Then when what you originally wanted pops up towards the end, you gotta buy more gems

My case, is that I already have the gems. Here waiting, made by ingame gold. Waiting for specific items to come. If that item appear, as example before sales, I spend them. If it only arrives during the sales, either I still want it, or pass to keep my gems because my will to want the item faded away. I rarely buy anything during sales, because frankly, I like almost nothing and the items i want never return on the store.

I'm pretty sure that tactic works on several players, but it does the opposite effect on me.

@Danikat.8537 Don't you think that the order has no importance? Let's say I pile 2000 gems or buy them, for a package. But then I see an intesting prenium mount skin, or gathering tools: I have to reload gems, because it wasn't planned originally. If, it starts by outfit as example, I buy the outfits I want, but then, ow those tools or preparation pack is interesting: charging fund. In both case the person already had gems, spent them and had to buy gems with rl money to have the things. But I see the conflict if the outfit is in a package, but if the players isn't interested by the pack, it's more wait and the pack will be passed. I just ask them to put the expansions more at the start, sure after pack including them if they want, but at the start.

@Angel.3916 said:Don't excuse yourself! :o In fact I liked your constructive answer.

I haven't spent a lot of real moneys/ gems either.I have the two basic version of expansion and bought the game. But as example, I bought with rl money, the shrine guardian at 2000 gems and the arcane marksman rifle at 600 gems. If, I would have wait let's say, half a year, the shrine guardian may have come back at 1000 gems, like many other skins when in sales. Do I consider it a scam? Not at all, and I'm not bothered by the fact I bought it full price.

There is really a few of gemstore items that I'm interested in so, I don't throw money out the windows regularly, maybe 1 time a year and even... I mean it happened twice in 7 years in that game. (Second one were the raptor skin the fluffy white fox/fluffy one)The next one may be when they release a beetle skin, for which the beetle is a wheel.

I am not a compulsive buyer if that is how I sounded, I'm more of a Uncle Scrooge if I can take that reference. I don't like spending rl money, but I do when the thing is really worth it to me.Each august sales past without me buying anything in most of the cases, because I bought during the year, with gems (converted from gold) what I need. Gold made by farming, festivals and other things.

I definitely spend more in real life, for my hobbies like modelism.See, in your OP, you say 200$ gems worth. From the start in 2013, I bought for what, 30 euros?Recently, I tried bl keys for 700 gems hardly made by in game gold, this is the real scam, and I will avoid them.

• 3 weeks later...

@Fenom.9457 said:

Yeah, I think it is obviously a marketing tactic. Luckily it does not work on me. There is very little in the game I would spend real money on. Extra slots, if I need one. Maybe an expansion prep kit (usually a slot, a boost, and various goodies). The main thing I want, and the only thing I bought last year, is some more shared inventory slots.

@crepuscular.9047 said:hmmm... so... are we in Anniversary Sale yet Anet? there a whole bunch of dyes on sale... are we in or out?... where's the news announcement for Anniversary Sale???

Anniversary is coming within the first half of the month, so sometime in the next 9 days I believe.A lot more than dyes would go on sale plus I'm sure they'd announce it.

@Solanum.6983 said:

@crepuscular.9047 said:hmmm... so... are we in Anniversary Sale yet Anet? there a whole bunch of dyes on sale... are we in or out?... where's the news announcement for Anniversary Sale???

Anniversary is coming within the first half of the month, so sometime in the next 9 days I believe.A lot more than dyes would go on sale plus I'm sure they'd announce it.

i assume it's at the earliest, on tuesday next week (usually the day when they re-hash/re-cycle the gemstore)

The actual anniversary is on the 28th August, just over 3 weeks away, and we've got the Festival of the Four Winds event starting in-game next week. If they want to combine the two then I expect news of the anniversary sale will come out just before next week's event and the sale will start on the same day as the festival. If they want to spread them out then I expect the sale won't start until about the 25th and will then probably run into September.

Admittedly anniversary sales have been starting earlier each year (the 2013 one started on 23rd August) but it wouldn't surprise me if they want to change that trend, especially now the Festival of the Four Winds is going to be an annual event in late July or early August.

@"Danikat.8537" said:Admittedly anniversary sales have been starting earlier each year (the 2013 one started on 23rd August) but it wouldn't surprise me if they want to change that trend, especially now the Festival of the Four Winds is going to be an annual event in late July or early August.

yeah i meant the sales. and they've started earlier last year (02 Aug) than this year's (no date yet) atleast ( based on: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gem_Store/Anniversary_Sales )

unless we count all those dyes up for sale right now