Blatant Match Manipulation

Apokriphos.7042

@"Apokriphos.7042" said:My "sob story" is an accurate representation of exactly whats available for public viewing at wvwstats.com. A server with extremely high ppt matched up vs one with extremely high kills/death ratio. The imbalance is just far more noticeable in my scenario, leading to vastly skewed matchmaking.The thing is, that could be any of like four-five different matchups out of nine this week. So it isn't necessarily some server maliciously manipulating anything. It appears any time when a server with odd presence enters a matchup.The solution is to increase the impact of kills/death on scoring.Yes, that we agree on. That is one simple way to do it.

A more elegant, yet still simple, way would be to do what's in my signature and only provide score on evenly populated maps.

Not that I would have anything against PPK being the dominant way to play myself as that is how I prefer to play, it may be a little simplistic and not stand the test of time. What is nice about a score/population system is that it actually diversifies gameplay by melding PPK and PPT approaches together and may keep a weekly matchup more "alive" over more days in the week if no server pulls unreachably ahead in score when they inevitably break opponents' spirits.

Simply making PPK more important does not change the fact that nightcappers may heavily out-k/d opponents at night or that if you made volume of kills make prime far more important than off hours (which, too, I egoistically wouldn't mind) it would make things rather boring for players outside of prime time. There are more such factors where simply raising PPK may not have the desired effect even if it is bound to have some effect that is mostly positive.

The difference between making PPK a larger factor in the equation and making Outnumbered a larger factor in the equation is relatively small in terms of design, programming and implementation but the latter is a far superior system with several additional benefits and ripple effects.

PPK inherently is rather weak with just k/d or k/d x volume in mind. If you wanted to make PPK more reflective of performance you would have to design some sort of kill-quality system like kq/dq that can be seen on things like the old EVE Online Killboards where relative numbers, levels and items /kill and /death were calculated. Such a system (while simple enough to be coded by numerous fansites a decade ago in that other game, though helped by API) is actually more difficult to design and implement than a map-population factor.

If a server runs around only 1 map with a giant blob, then they will have a high KDR but lose the matchup because they have no presence on other maps. It is also entirely possible that's all the people they have. A lot of dying servers also had good KDRs because, apparently there's just not enough people to die!

However, in the year of two thousand twenty, people have realized that "winning" doesn't mean anything anyways. If their opponents are not smart enough to realize there's 3 other maps (as well as multiple entrances), then whose fault is it really? Seems like the problem is with the server that feeds, instead of changing their tactics. Perhaps people should be banned from a map temporarily if they feed too much? Nah.

If you want this to stop, then give winning more value. But that is impossible in the current state of the game.

@Apokriphos.7042 said:You are correct about one thing @"subversiontwo.7501"

This is a scoring issue.

As I said in my initial post, if Anet does not address this issue now, when Alliances finally arrives it will even be more rampant there, where all powerful voices in a alliance server belong to guilds.

My "sob story" is an accurate representation of exactly whats available for public viewing at wvwstats.com. A server with extremely high %ppt matched up vs one with extremely high kills/death ratio. The imbalance is just far more noticeable in my scenario, leading to vastly skewed matchmaking.

The solution is to increase the impact of kills/death on scoring.

I would interrupt what you are seeing in wvwstats as a server is amassing on one map and not the others. By not spreading they are losing but getting more kills in one spot at the expense of losing all the other maps. I wouldn't reward them more for blobbing, if anything I would reduce what they believe they gain from doing so. 5 players kill one, reduce rewards and Wxp. And again personal rewards should go up for PPK but server gain should go down. PPK is to cover the value of a fight overtime but PPT should be efficiency and doing the most with the least. The issue is there is nothing to be gained by "winning". There is no benefit from facing higher challenges. We are in that state partially due to stacking and its impact but we also see things like this. You want reasons for people to push upwards.