Forced to grind levels, even on a paid account?

@"Lilyanna.9361" said:how about you actually help them through that 'grinding'. Laugh, talk it up, something. You sound like you are just going to drop and leave them there to do their own thing until y'all converge to do something together, which is not the point of the game.

yeah this is something i make sure to do when i get my friends to try any game not just mmorpgs. you play the game/"grind" with them all while talking about the game or anything in general/life just keep each other company for the whole time, trying to keep the mood alive even through the most boring of parts and before you know it you've already done so much together (and in gw2's case, you're already way past the level requirement for story mode)

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@CashCow.9548 said:Mind you I have played dozens of mmos, alot of them Eastern. 13-15 years ago grinding thousands upon thousands of same monsters just to get 4% an hour, to reach those max gear armors was acceptable. Nobody ever complained.

Whoa! I don't know what game you played, but that sounds incredibly boring. I doubt no one ever complained or maybe they just stopped playing?

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@CashCow.9548 said:Mind you I have played dozens of mmos, alot of them Eastern. 13-15 years ago grinding thousands upon thousands of same monsters just to get 4% an hour, to reach those max gear armors was acceptable. Nobody ever complained.

Whoa! I don't know what game you played, but that sounds incredibly boring. I doubt no one ever complained or maybe they just stopped playing?

It was Flyff and back in 06/07See it's not that it was boring but rather people knew what they were getting themselves into. They played the game as it was designed and they understood what it was about. Those who didn't like it.. well they simply left and looked for something else that fir their fancy. Grind was a big part of that game.

I wish GW2 players would open up their eyes and realise what the game is. And stop making threads like this, asking for fundamental game changes to turn this into a single player game and remove any character progression this game still has.

@CashCow.9548 said:

It was Flyff and back in 06/07See it's not that it was boring but rather people knew what they were getting themselves into. They played the game as it was designed and they understood what it was about. Those who didn't like it.. well they simply left and looked for something else that fir their fancy. Grind was a big part of that game.

I wish GW2 players would open up their eyes and realise what the game is. And stop making threads like this, asking for fundamental game changes to turn this into a single player game and remove any character progression this game still has.

I checked a video of the gameplay and yeah, i couldn't do it. Of course, if you enjoyed it, who am i to argue?

I have no problem leveling new characters in GW2, Except if i have made the profession already. Then i would rather just get to max level as quickly as possible. I'm not going to whine about it on the forums though.

Non-issue.I've been playing since about 2 months after release. Old system level gated you just as much as the new. Your perception is what is skewed.

Allowing you to play content up to your level+10 is the same thing as level gating at +10 levels. Your level 10 account can't kill lv 20 enemies, no matter how skilled you are. You can't progress the lv 20 story at lv10.

Now, new players get frustrated when 1/3+ of their attacks shave. Removing that component is a net positive for new players, even i it level gates a bit sooner. Leveling is fast, and if you weren't guiding your friends to constantly do personal story content, they would be exploring and gaining the levels organically. Your push to complete the personal story is the problem here.

Also, you are remembering what you want to remember about 7 years ago.. You don't remember all the time you spent exploring and looking at all of the events around the map that gained you the levels to progress the story on time. Thats why you think there was no level gating. It was always there.

@"CashCow.9548" said:I wish GW2 players would open up their eyes and realise what the game is. And stop making threads like this, asking for fundamental game changes to turn this into a single player game and remove any character progression this game still has.

Do you know how the game was originally build & designed?

Because its not like it is now and the "fundamental" changes we are talking about is how the game was actually built - what most of us are saying is how the game was imagined by aNet at point of release, not something completely different..

@ConorT.5396 said:

@"CashCow.9548" said:I wish GW2 players would open up their eyes and realise what the game is. And stop making threads like this, asking for fundamental game changes to turn this into a single player game and remove any character progression this game still has.

Do you know how the game was originally build & designed?

Because its not like it is now and the "fundamental" changes we are talking about is how the game was actually built - what most of us are saying is how the game was imagined by aNet at point of release, not something completely different..

That might be true ... but even in original release, you had to level. In fact it was LONGER to level when the game was released than it is now ... yet somehow now that it's easier ... it's a grind for you/your friends. That just doesn't make sense.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@TracksOne.2548 said:Doing all the events in the different areas and exploring was part of the fun. Im not sure why people have an issue with actually playing the game.

wait until you reach orr and the expansions. its almost a completely different game. if you really like the casual experience of core tyria, then you prolly wont like it therei loved the organic, low key feel of the lower levels, it was so natural...fighting normal enemies over outposts and forts...it felt REALthe later stuff is all about gods and doomsday scenarios, that gets boring VERY fast

Well i finished PoF story and did a ton of content and now im almost done with Thorns and ive been participating in all the meta events in both and world activities and im loving it. I love the set up of the game and all the things to do. Ive played every mmo out there, im not authority but this one gets it right to me, i enjoy all of these things. Im not sure why people continue playing games they dont find fun? I feel like the way they handle this is great, most mmo's i skip all this stuff but here i find myself enjoying all the activiteis in each map and learning all the maps and cool locations. I guess it all just makes sense to me.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

perfect world was the same, grinding mobs for days , often without a quest. it wasnt gaming, it was simple WORK.very few people want to spend their leisure time that way. i got bored and uninstalled after a few hours. doing RL chores was more entertaining

@TracksOne.2548 said:

@TracksOne.2548 said:Doing all the events in the different areas and exploring was part of the fun. Im not sure why people have an issue with actually playing the game.

wait until you reach orr and the expansions. its almost a completely different game. if you really like the casual experience of core tyria, then you prolly wont like it therei loved the organic, low key feel of the lower levels, it was so natural...fighting normal enemies over outposts and forts...it felt REALthe later stuff is all about gods and doomsday scenarios, that gets boring VERY fast

Well i finished PoF story and did a ton of content and now im almost done with Thorns and ive been participating in all the meta events in both and world activities and im loving it. I love the set up of the game and all the things to do. Ive played every mmo out there, im not authority but this one gets it right to me, i enjoy all of these things. Im not sure why people continue playing games they dont find fun? I feel like the way they handle this is great, most mmo's i skip all this stuff but here i find myself enjoying all the activiteis in each map and learning all the maps and cool locations. I guess it all just makes sense to me.

im not playing anymore , uninstalled again. i tried icebrood saga, parts of it i liked, but overall no. hot makes sense as a hardcore grind zone, NOT asa expansion to a casual mmo, it is generally accepted to do pof FIRST

@"Linken.6345" said:For that heart about milking cows there is an event that spawn a wrum queen or bandit attack that try to burn the hay bales+ your friend can stomp the wurm mounds to get the wurm enemies to spawn instead if they want or water the wiltering crops.

Thx a lot - up to your post I was wondering what bloody heart in Queensdale OP was referring to. After 7+ years playing gw2 and literally hundreds of characters leveled in Queensdale (once per week 1.5h "grinding" for a black lion key which for me works best with the human story line) I can firmly state I have never milked a single cow.

@yoguil.7320 said:

@"Linken.6345" said:For that heart about milking cows there is an event that spawn a wrum queen or bandit attack that try to burn the hay bales+ your friend can stomp the wurm mounds to get the wurm enemies to spawn instead if they want or water the wiltering crops.

Thx a lot - up to your post I was wondering what bloody heart in Queensdale OP was referring to. After 7+ years playing gw2 and literally hundreds of characters leveled in Queensdale (once per week 1.5h "grinding" for a black lion key which for me works best with the human story line) I can firmly state I have never milked a single cow.

and if milking cows or watering crops get too boring, and you're too lazy to stomp the wurm mounds... you can even kill the wurms (no stomping the ground just kill them) south of that wheatfield, the whole set there accounts for about 50% (or a lil less) of the whole heart

1SJAx0R.png

@keenedge.9675 said:

@ConorT.5396 said:Guild Wars has always been about the story-telling & enjoyment of leveling.

Not, grinding to get to the fun bits. Absolutely insane.Don't grind .. play the game ..

GW2 is the least grindy game I've played.

[ life skills: grinding for a new car or new house are far worse ]

STO is even less grindy, you get a new map for almost every mission, and the ground /space combat gives more variety tooand after lvl 12, you dont even have to kill any mobs to level, you can just send duty officers on missions and get XP and loot through themoh yea, and they finally fixed the laggy ground combat too, it only took them a decade, but better late, than never

@ConorT.5396 said:

@ConorT.5396 said:And these people are not even able to experience the best part of the game, without having to be forced to milk cows. To me, it is just insanity.

Then do interesting stuff with them like events and map exploration. The fact you can't make the game interesting by being out of the loop how to make leveling fun is not an issue with the game. You can level perfectly fine without doing a single heart quest.

But times change, and Guild Wars 2 is now 8 years old.

The people who are going to start playing are people who are veterans of other MMORPGS - not people trying an MMO for the first time.

It should be tailored towards this - just like it naturally has been since Guild Wars 1.

Not going backwards to increase user play-time by stretching out content.

It takes me 1 week to lvl a character to 80 without tomes

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:

@ConorT.5396 said:And these people are not even able to experience the best part of the game, without having to be forced to milk cows. To me, it is just insanity.

Then do interesting stuff with them like events and map exploration. The fact you can't make the game interesting by being out of the loop how to make leveling fun is not an issue with the game. You can level perfectly fine without doing a single heart quest.

The people who are going to start playing are people who are veterans of other MMORPGS - not people trying an MMO for the first time.

It should be tailored towards this - just like it naturally has been since Guild Wars 1.

One week? How many hours? For me, one week is about 4-8 hours because that's about all of the time I can allot. Just curious so that I can compare.

@kharmin.7683 said:

One week? How many hours? For me, one week is about 4-8 hours because that's about all of the time I can allot. Just curious so that I can compare.

I have to do everything at times and i take breaks

Right, so how many hours do you play on average in a week to level to 80? 2 hours a day (14 hours a week)? 4 hours a day (28 hours a week)?

@kharmin.7683 said:

Right, so how many hours do you play on average in a week to level to 80? 2 hours a day (14 hours a week)? 4 hours a day (28 hours a week)?

1 to 2 on that character. I think op only focus on mobs

So, 1-2 hours a week or per day (on average)?

@kharmin.7683 said:

Day

Day

Ok, thanks. That is what I was trying to understand. So, you're able to level to 80 without tomes playing 7-14 hours a week (1-2 hours a day on average).

I could be remembering wrong but...doesn't FFXIV, another very popular MMORPG, do the same thing of gating story by level?

If true then I really don't understand what's so bad about having to level up a bit to progress the story. I started the game as a new player with this level gate on the personal story and don't remember it being that bad because they make you scale down in the lower level zones, allowing you to earn decent exp from lower level maps just as easily. Whenever I hit a wall in the story I just took it as an opportunity to map complete or try out the skills on some new weapon my character could use. I was a new player, everything was new so not being able to spam through the story didn't matter to much.Sure, I haven't "naturally" leveled a character in years but i remember doing it and don't recall it being that bad as a brand new player. If all I wanted was to get to end game because I made a new account then yeah, I can see it being somewhat annoying as someone that's use to already having everything on their main account but if you don't like the feel of starting from nothing again then...why do it?