Regarding the current lag spikes happening on EU Servers

There has been quite an uptick in interest regarding Guild Wars 2 lately. I bought the game recently and I am enjoying myself even with the horrendous 3-10 second lag I'm getting. But I think a lot of new players will be pushed away due to this, please fix it before it is too late.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:It isn't just EU servers. Here in the U.S. servers I've been getting lag spikes, even in the dead of night.

there's been so many threads about the lagspikes but yeah i'll add to this one and can confirm it does happen on NA as well but it seems it's not as worse as the EU folks are having.

the worst lagspikes i get are 2-3 secs of nothing every hour or so when playing on PoF, Season 4 and Icebrood Saga zones.

it's normal and smooth anywhere else.

there's like atleast 3 or 5 other threads about lagspikes both here in Guild Wars 2 Discussions subforum and on the Tech/Bug Support subforums. and im pretty sure Anet has atleast seen one or two of them (or maybe all lol) and we can only hope they will announce or address it soon instead of being silent about it as they are right now.

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

we can only hope they will announce or address it soon instead of being silent about it as they are right now.

Yeah right. This has been happening for months on the EU Servers. They have made no comment upon it and I would be extremely surprised if they did.

There are a few possibilities (I may have missed some)

1) The servers cannot cope with the quantity of players in game.2) Their servers weren't properly fixed after the crash that took the EU servers out of action for a day or so and they've still got problems.3) There is some sort of code fault that they cannot fix4) Some sort of DDOS attack5) The amount of hackers using 'exploits' (which at the moment is completely out of hand) is negatively impacting on the servers6) It is our Internet connection (Favoured by apologists and the "well I play ok so it must be you" brigade)

So taking them in turn

1) Well there isn't any double that lockdown has made people play more so it could that the servers are under tremendous load.2) We won't know because they wont tell us that their infrastructure is poor/defective.3) Could well be an underlying programming issue - the code is old and probably like spaghetti, plus quite a few people who coded it have left.4) Again if it is a DDOS, they're never going to admit this from a business point of view.5) Hackers - without a doubt there are lots of them. Are their actions hitting the server performance? Will the admit it? Probably not, they don't discuss stuff like this other than "We've banned a wave of people" at some point6) Well again poor internet connections do play a part, but interestingly a lot of people reported no slowdown in old zones when Dragonbash Holo events were on (with large numbers of players in a zone), yet as soon as they went to LS4 onward zones a few minutes later, the "lag" or performance issues started. Same computer, same Internet connection. That has happened to me numerous times.

You are right though, some sort of announcement would be good.

The lagg issue is definitely not simply EU, its also NA. I'm Aussie, our broadband is Hampster and wheel stuff but this is not ISP or backbone to the AWS server array. No tcp loss to US server (none) and ping to server is 121ms. From entry to AWS and return leg is at times -400+% higher with drops on the first 2 return hops and intermittent black-holes all the way back to Oz. That is not the gamer Anet, nor is it the box setup, user backbone or anything else but rather- either Anet coding or garbage AWS. AWS- Our fed gov used AWS for something very recently.... Gov consensus- not to be used again as the Amazon service is deficient. Throw in login server error pop-ups or simply 5000ms DC's and one gets a game that is unplayable. Doesnt do much for brand by not telling gamers what the heck is going on.