How Fair / Unfair is the Mytic Forge when it comes to precursors?

@ekisJohann.1508 said:I would KILL for just one precursor, even if it was just a stupid underwater trident or something. Getting a Dusk seems like something that will only happen in my dreams. Lol Lol Lol. Thanx to everyone who is taking the time to read my post and to everyone who is replying. Btw, I did drop in some greatswords earlier - again only KITTEN. Lol

Why do you want a precursor?

If you want one so you can make a legendary weapon you're better off crafting one or buying it from the Trading Post than throwing away gold and items gambling on it.

If you want the excitement of getting a valuable drop then you're better off trying for something where you're not losing gold trying for it, because at the moment it's likely that if/when you get a precursor you'll actually have lost more gold than you'll get from selling it. If you've got PoF you could join the people farming the choya pinata event, which is a quick one to do and easy to find. Or pick some other meta events or world bosses with rare drops and play those when you can. If you do get a valuable rare drop then great, you've got your wish. If not then at least you'll get some stuff you can use to make gold instead of losing what you've already got throwing it into the Forge.

Throwing rares and exotics into the Mystic Forge is only worth doing if you literally do not care about losing them. It's marginally better than deleting the 3 most valuable and only keeping the 4th to sell or salvage, because 99 times out of 100 that is exactly what you're doing - you put in 4 rares or exotics and get back 1 item equal to what you already had. Occasionally you get lucky but overall it's a loss.

Fair? It is gambling, and like all gambling, the house is favored to win. Or more accurately in this case, the Mystic Forge acts as a gold/ material sink, meaning it removes more resources from the game than it adds. Sure, someone might get a precursor worth 600 gold out of 4 exotic weapons, but at the same time, 1000's of gold worth of exotics just disappear into the pool from other players.

Think what you will about gambling, but as a gold/material sink, the mystic forge is quite the clever idea. (and same holds true with Ecto gambling as well).

Inflation in GW2 exists, but nothing like what you see on the scale of a game like WoW.

I never received a precursor from any source. I've been playing since before launch, with only about 40 days off. Averaging 4+ hours a day throughout that time.

Yeah, the RNG sucks. For a dying game, they really should rethink some of the absurdly hard things to get to spice up playing again.

Fair is not the right question. It's totally unfair and should be. How many exotics are you putting in the forge each day? 20? 40? It doesn't happen that way. Precursors should never be a goal. They are a rare occurance. Even getting a precursor is so far away from actually crafting a legendary that many just sell the precursor. There are plenty of sinks and roadblocks in the crafting, after obtaining the Pecursor. If a Precursor is that important, earn the gold and buy one. Then see if you want to make it a Legendary.Having said that, some of us are just lucky. Two years in I hit the Predator and it gave me the Precursor fever. Four years later, I finally realized I was never going to get just one of each kind and decided to sell those exotics and just buy the Precursor.If the Precursor is that important, as it was to me, just buy it. You will learn the process and not waste a ton of time and money and effort feeding the Fickle Forge.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Inflation in GW2 exists, but nothing like what you see on the scale of a game like WoW.

That probably has more to do with the gold <-> gem exchange

Could be, though WoW has a similar system, where you buy 30 days of subscription time and can sell it for gold to other players . Yes, the TP barons in WoW don't even have to pay $15 a month to play - they just spend gold.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Inflation in GW2 exists, but nothing like what you see on the scale of a game like WoW.

That probably has more to do with the gold <-> gem exchange

Could be, though WoW has a similar system, where you buy 30 days of subscription time and can sell it for gold to other players . Yes, the TP barons in WoW don't even have to pay $15 a month to play - they just spend gold.

That is much less flexible. Once I buy the gems there are many things I could do with it. There is only one thing you can do with a 30 day subscription and isn't WoW's trading per server rather than global or has that changed at some point?

8 years. Not 1 from that shit hole toilet. 2 drops from the world. Shitshow system imo. Go craft they say? Not when its more expensive to craft than buy (with all the extras in time and effort). But I have had my 50+ recycled legendaries. Had to work damn hard for them. No presents here. Yes a bit bitter, but whatever haha

• 2 weeks later...

@ekisJohann.1508 said:So please can someone explain to me, how 2 people that make use of the Forge every single day, spending hard earned gold through farming and crafting (because not everybody has the luxury of visiting the Gem Store every other day) and yet only person seems to be reaping the rewards of Zomorros' impressive arsenal of goodies. I can't help but feel cheated. Either Arena Net hates me or I have the worst luck in the world

It's like demanding an explanation about not winning the main prize in a lottery despite playing it for years for your hard-earned irl money. When you play a lottery, you don't expect you'll win, you expect you'll lose and accept that maaaaaaaaybe some day you might get lucky. I think the most important thing to remember about lotteries (including mystic toilet, loot boxes and so on) is: If you're not ready to lose, then don't play. That's all.

@ekisJohann.1508 said:Yeah, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many sides in my opinion. I think the devs should think about spreading these yummy rewards a little bit more evenly between players, especially if they spend between 5 - 8 hours per day playing their game

"Spread yummy rewards more evenly" and they stop being "yummy". The whole reason they're still pretty "yummy" is because of the rarity.

• Confused 1