Make A Raid Matchmaking System For Solo Players

W1 an intro raid for new players needs;Toughness based tank, might source for each sub, fury source for each sub, alacrity source for each sub, quickness source for each sub, protection source for each sub, warrior banners, 2 healers, 1 person who has a low cd aoe knockback, 2 condi dps, boonrip, enough cc to break multiple breakbars on short CD, a full group of power dps, 1-2 ranged dps, 1 person who can pull adds, 1 person who can perma immobalize multiple enemies, a flak kiter, 2 cannoneers, everyone to have gliding and updraft mastery.

You will not beat the raid as a new group unless you have all of these things, with the exception of maybe warrior banners. You have 10 spots. What exactly is the LFR going to search for to make sure all these ESSENTIAL things are covered, no role is covered more than once, and that there are enough DPS players to beat the enrage.

Again this is only for the very first introduction raid wing. Later wings are alot harder and have many more requirements.

Do you people supporting this understand yet.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@panzerdragon.8791 said:

Good day,

I'm not sure auto lfg would work or even be used over a custom team. Gw2 classes are not so simple to say we need 6 dps and 4 supports for dhuum. Are mechanics dps a different lfg than just normal dps? Are boons considered dps. How would the lfg build team comps ? Would it run chronos and firebrands or alacs and fire brands ?

Yeh anet could make some rudimentary matchmake for raids , but the resulting team comps and player skill will be questionable. Who would be commanding the raid is another excellent question? At what point is individual failure grounds for kicking.

As we can see the complexity of teams and raiding mean we have many solutions to killing bosses. All these solutions can be easily met with a single post on the lfg. I would propose this function would be unused by many raiders. Why waste time on a heal ren main healer group when you could instead build your own squad. The only reasoned argument is for initial ease of use. Yet the actual goal of killing the boss is still dependant on good comp going on. If the matchmake will create meta comps then cool , but won't that also alienate all those heal scrappers and off meta dps druids out there. Real rough system with a ton of comprises.

What you mean is an automatic lfg system would be unused by the current 1% player base that still run raids. Nothing about the 99% that would try the system and if it was based on gear checks and role checks that can be designated by anet as offical team comps to complete the raids at raid mode levels is not acceptable to the 1% of current raiders. What a joke!!!!

@gdubze.6015 said:Honestly the real issue are players like @"zombyturtle.5980" saying something is not possible unless you play this way, watch this then come back and tell me what you said actually has any relevance.

I bet you couldn't even explain how and why this was even possible. Not to mention it's not any more.

Yes, I might come off elitist. I've been at this content and on these forums for as long as raids have been out. The sutpidity of players is neverending and unfortunately also repeating. I have lead more trainings and helped more players get into raiding than you probably have even completed total or have on your friendslist.

This entire thread, every little thing said here, even your suggestions, has been had multiple times by now.

Most of us are just tired of investing time into know it all forum warriors at this point.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@gdubze.6015 said:Honestly the real issue are players like @"zombyturtle.5980" saying something is not possible unless you play this way, watch this then come back and tell me what you said actually has any relevance.

I bet you couldn't even explain how and why this was even possible. Not to mention it's not any more.

Yes, I might come off elitist. I've been at this content and on these forums for as long as raids have been out. The sutpidity of players is neverending and unfortunately also repeating.

This entire thread, every little thing said here, even your suggestions, has been had multiple times by now.

Most of us are just tired of investing time into know it all forum warriors at this point.

Once again you have offered no solutions and just throw insults and elitism into the thread, please stop quoting me if you have nothing constructive to put into the thread. And I can explain everything about that video and more if i so desired what have you put into this thread apart from insults and assumptions ?

@gdubze.6015 said:

Yes, I might come off elitist. I've been at this content and on these forums for as long as raids have been out. The sutpidity of players is neverending and unfortunately also repeating.

Once again you have offered no solutions and just throw insults and elitism into the thread, please stop quoting me if you have nothing constructive to put into the thread. And I can explain everything about that video and more if i so desired what have you put into this thread apart from insults and assumptions ?

I have given solutions, in threads where players want to know how to get into raiding. I have explained WHY this system does not work.

You want solutions to get into raiding:

• join a training discord
  • join a raid training guild
  • try to have 1-2 easy raid builds ready to go

Done.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

I have given solutions, in threads where players want to know how to get into raiding. I have explained WHY this system does not work.

Done.

These are not solutions to the current issues of matchmaking, at best these are band aid's to a problem that has plagued raids ever since its started. All these options do spread a small population of people into guilds they have no interest in joining in the first place. Guild's should not be a nesessity to completing raid content!

@gdubze.6015 said:

Done.

These are not solutions to the current issues of matchmaking, at best these are band aid's to a problem that has plagued raids ever since its started. All these options do spread a small population of people into guilds they have no interest in joining in the first place. Guild's should not be a nesessity to completing raid content!

Please keep your assumptions to yourself. There are a ton of guilds who gladly take new players. Most raid trainings provided by experience players don't do it for the loot (probably none of them do it for the loot). The simple fact that others are willing to help already puts your claim into a bad light.

The solutions present work within the context of the problem:

• no trinity system in this game
  • highly customizable builds and gear (which also leads to highly inefficient builds)
  • unique boss fights with often do-or-die mechanics

The "bandaid" is literally the best and most efficient way given the current resources put into this game mode with the limitations in place.

@gdubze.6015 said:Guild's should not be a nesessity to completing raid content!

They are not, but the organized nature of guilds helps a lot in coordinating for this content. For all I care you can go at it purely via the LFG. Others have done so. It is possible, but will likely require a far higher self engagement than by simply joining others. Any type of challenging content which is based on a team effort will benefit from organizational infrastructure from other areas.

@Cyninja.2954

no trinity system in this game (This is a lie literally every lfg for raids are looking for trinity team comps)highly customizable builds and gear (which also leads to highly inefficient builds) < Anet can make prebuild solutions for raid training in-game using automated lfg role systemsunique boss fights with often do-or-die mechanics (this can be resolved by raid mode level training where you are not so punished for mechanics)

Everything i have already said in my previous posts.

All I see is someone that is not willing to adapt to change because they dont like casuals getting to see content. End of subject. Come back with some good solutions not the same boring spin that you have said since the start of raid content. That literally made it self-implode coz no one wants to join a team with spam killproof to join or get kicked because you are not allowed to fail and learn on my time.

@gdubze.6015 said:@"Cyninja.2954"

no trinity system in this game (This is a lie literally every lfg for raids are looking for trinity team comps)

EDIT (this went into the 2nd try of this post after my browser went haywire):

The positions of "tank", "healer" and "dps" very greatly between bosses, as do the roles and unique responsibilities. So much that in some cases, all that remains similar is the name. Which ones would know IF one had experience with all these roles and all the bosses.

@gdubze.6015 said:highly customizable builds and gear (which also leads to highly inefficient builds) < Anet can make prebuild solutions for raid training in-game using automated lfg role systemsEDIT:Hilarious idea. So, do the developers redo all the builds used in the auto grouping tool with every patch? Will they take community feedback into account, given how I find it very unlikely that the devs will be able to create good builds to begin with? How will this work with having players suddenly play a build they might not know?

@gdubze.6015 said:unique boss fights with often do-or-die mechanics (this can be resolved by raid mode level training where you are not so punished for mechanics)

EDIT:Which makes this literally useless as training for regular raids.

@gdubze.6015 said:Everything i have already said in my previous posts.

All I see is someone that is not willing to adapt to change because they dont like casuals getting to see content. End of subject. Come back with some good solutions not the same boring spin that you have said since the start of raid content. That literally made it self-implode coz no one wants to join a team with spam killproof to join or get kicked because you are not allowed to fail and learn on my time.

If you are looking at teams with KP requirements, well you are in the wrong place as new raider.

You know what, I'm just going to let this conversation end. Here is hoping for you that the developers change their mind and decide to implement a fully working and able auto grouping tool, just so you can finally get into raiding (hey, if they can manage to do it, great for the game mode. I'd already settle for a proper LFG system rework but that is just me). I'm sure that's right around the corner and bound to happen soon. Just like the players 5 years ago are still waiting, but it will have to happen now, it just has to.

Meanwhile, I'll go back to not caring about new players and new raiders while doing training runs for exactly those players and full clearing this content with the static I am in. Let's see who has more fun with this game mode.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

no trinity system in this game (This is a lie literally every lfg for raids are looking for trinity team comps)highly customizable builds and gear (which also leads to highly inefficient builds) < Anet can make prebuild solutions for raid training in-game using automated lfg role systemsunique boss fights with often do-or-die mechanics (this can be resolved by raid mode level training where you are not so punished for mechanics)

Everything i have already said in my previous posts.

If you are looking at teams with KP requirements, well you are in the wrong place as new raider.

You know what, I'm just going to let this conversation end. Here is hoping for you that the developers change their mind and decide to implement a fully working and able auto grouping tool, just so you can finally get into raiding (hey, if they can manage to do it, great for the game mode. I'd already settle for a proper LFG system rework but that is just me). I'm sure that's right around the corner and bound to happen soon. Just like the players 5 years ago are still waiting, but it will have to happen now, it just has to.

Meanwhile, I'll go back to not caring about new players and new raiders while doing training runs for exactly those players and full clearing this content with the static I am in. Let's see who has more fun with this game mode.

Im not looking for anything, im putting forward solutions to the issues that have cause so many problems with the raiding content. You can continue to do what you enjoy while anet can provide adeqt solutions for the other 99% of the player base, but you're band-aid to joining a raid training guild is just that a band-aid not a solution. Seeing as most people dont want to join a guild just to complete content. Good day and good luck with the raid training and hopefully anet with develop the tools to aid everyone in enjoying said content.

Good day ,

What I got from your response is for anet to codify raid comps to then make matchmaking easier. Ok sounds interesting. Does that extend to mechanic roles as well? Does this mean we now get a proper inspect function in the game as well?

Let's run an easy hypothetical Adina kill:

Anet says 6 dps, 3 boons, and 1 tank are ques fir the matchmaking. Sounds good so far. Who will decide kiting rolls ? A commander or certain classes? If this is all outsourced to anet would players accept this solution ? Chrono jail is a real problem in the game is it reasonable to sent classes to mechanics jail ? Is it fair for certain dps to be exempt from actually learning fights ? Last thing, certain strats require certain classes and skills. How would the game deal with a druid not pushing on sh or boon Chrono not providing boons.

There is also the issue of player experience. How will the matchmaking take this into consideration? The game knows how many kills we have. Will new players be stuck with only inexp groups?

Just some issues I see .

@gdubze.6015 said:

Good day,

I'm not sure auto lfg would work or even be used over a custom team. Gw2 classes are not so simple to say we need 6 dps and 4 supports for dhuum. Are mechanics dps a different lfg than just normal dps? Are boons considered dps. How would the lfg build team comps ? Would it run chronos and firebrands or alacs and fire brands ?

Yeh anet could make some rudimentary matchmake for raids , but the resulting team comps and player skill will be questionable. Who would be commanding the raid is another excellent question? At what point is individual failure grounds for kicking.

As we can see the complexity of teams and raiding mean we have many solutions to killing bosses. All these solutions can be easily met with a single post on the lfg. I would propose this function would be unused by many raiders. Why waste time on a heal ren main healer group when you could instead build your own squad. The only reasoned argument is for initial ease of use. Yet the actual goal of killing the boss is still dependant on good comp going on. If the matchmake will create meta comps then cool , but won't that also alienate all those heal scrappers and off meta dps druids out there. Real rough system with a ton of comprises.

What you mean is an automatic lfg system would be unused by the current 1% player base that still run raids. Nothing about the 99% that would try the system and if it was based on gear checks and role checks that can be designated by anet as offical team comps to complete the raids at raid mode levels is not acceptable to the 1% of current raiders. What a joke!!!!

With all of these "solutions" you're putting into this magical lfr of yours anet might as well give you automated rotations and auto dodge too. Mashing a bunch of solo players that are clueless about boss roles is already possible in the current system. The reason this will fail is the same reason public strikes fail. The players who join this queue are so BAD and no one wants to wait around for the inevitable train wreck of 10 open worlder's running around with their heads cut off. If you really want to see the content its not raiders that are stopping you. Your inability to type "w1 all welcome" in lfg is. Raiders aren't preventing you from making a squad.

people saying this idea fails are not understanding 1 thing.It will give new people to taste new mechanics on their own time instead of scheduling and corresponding with 9 other people. Eventually, they will move on to joining group for better results.I have noticed ever since strike mission come out, there are quite many of new raiders popping out and people actually playing better on open world as well.But, raid being the way it is, they are getting turned off.matchmaking is definitely good idea to learn on your own pace.

@"Yellow Rainbow.6142" said:people saying this idea fails are not understanding 1 thing.It will give new people to taste new mechanics on their own time instead of scheduling and corresponding with 9 other people. Eventually, they will move on to joining group for better results.I have noticed ever since strike mission come out, there are quite many of new raiders popping out and people actually playing better on open world as well.But, raid being the way it is, they are getting turned off.matchmaking is definitely good idea to learn on your own pace.

And you people don't seem to understand that you can already do this. Go to lfg, open the raid tab, edit squad description, type in "w1 all welcome". The same people who would queue for raids are the same people who would join an all welcome group. If no one joins your group, a magical queue isn't going to make them join.

@gdubze.6015 said:@skarpak.8594 ...this is not WOW with clear healers, dps and tanks.

Then why on LFG do people always look for Tank Healers dps / support classes ? another person trying to put issues in the way when LFG is clearly looking for trinity teams! So this is like WOW. Honestly anet can make the selection of role based on what is needed to complete the raid designed the way they were made to be completed without the need of player intervention. Just like every other mmo has done since they began. If u dont like the system just make a team the normal way by invite and walk into the raid as normal.

since you have 0 idea about gw2 raids (why are you even here to discuss if you got no plan at all ?!), here have some knowledge first:

wing 1: vale guardian (toughness based) - gorseval (toughness based) - sabetha (just stands in the middle, no tank required)wing 2: slothasor (random person, changes every x seconds) - bandit trio (random person) - matthias (farthest person away, jumps alot, also random person for certain mechanics which also rerolls on downed state)wing 3: siege stronghold (no tank needed) - keep construct (toughness based) - xera (toughness based)wing 4: cairn (just stands in middle, maybe far kiter for bad groups, no tank) - mursaat overseer (special mechanic, boss does no damage, no tradiotional tank required) - samarog (furthest person away after each -10% HP breakbar, random groups juggle between two) - deimos (toughness based)wing 5: souless horror (2 tanks required with special mechanic) - statues (toughness / no tank) - dhuum (toughness)wing 6: conjured amalgamate (boss is stationary, no tank needed) - largos (toughness, depending on the strategy you need 1 or 2 tanks) - qadim (toughness based/ 2nd tank in 3rd phase only)wing 7: adina (toughness, stationary) - sabir (toughness, stationary but no tank needed at all) - qadim² (special action key tank)

...as you can see, some bosses simply need no dedicated tank. some bosses need 2. some bosses are simply random. its not based on the wing itself...aka a matchmaked group in wing 1 would be good till sabetha, there the tank is then completly useless and can basically go afk. same for wing 4, just that the tank is useless on the first 3 bosses until the group would come to deimos. or what is with the second tank on w5b1? is he just getting kicked after the first boss in the wing as he is now useless for the rest? what about wing 6 where you suddenly need 2 tanks in the middle of a wing prior to not needing any at all?

Kitty's insights to pretty much everything said this far (partly parroting already said stuff) .

1. LFR is already in place for strike missions. Pretty much none uses it while LFG is pretty active if you're not playing at deadhours for the region. (1am to 7am in the westest part of the region) Though when it comes to raids, LFG is now a ghosttown for most of the day since big portion of LFGing exp raiders have left due to lack of content (and they're not coming back anymore as no new wings coming). Until last few months, though, Kitty had no issues getting her clears through LFG as staticless player who doesn't like discord servers due to "Meta or get out of our raid lawn!" mindsets. 1500+ LFG kills can't lie. If you don't like guilds and discords, write that "Wing X All Welcome!" (adjust to your preferences) in LFG and wait 'til people join. You don't even need tag for that (press P and "Create Squad" for your 10-person squad).
  2. Meta is a lie. It's based on the assumption that everyone knows the bosses and their builds like back of their hands and never fails the mechs and adhere strictly to predetermined strategy with the optimal comp for it with no wipes. Does that happen in pure LFG random groups? Quite never. For pug meta, the first priority would be having mechs covered, then enough support and failsafes to counter assumable mess ups (and if they never happen, dpsers simply have even better conditions to greed), then dps. Most raiders just prefer playing it risky with speedrun meta to "make the run faster" - > proceeds to wipe 'til disband due to lacking skills to pull it off/having misunderstood how it works/preparing inadequately. In most regards, tempest is vastly superior to druid for that with better heals and boons though it lack as good pushing utility and spirits (which soulbeast can take). And if pugs really wanted to guarantee the kills, the comp would be like "minstrel's 10-quickhealchrono+heal renegade+power banner PS berserker+7 power scrappers" as that comp can't die and scrappers have utilities to counter almost every mechanic and self-boons to cover any slack from booners (rene brings alac+ret+regen+protection, chrono brings quickness+some alac, aegis and stab, zerker brings might, fury and swiftness). But literally nobody runs that comp and even Kitty hasn't been able to gather such squad despite being very definition of off-meta herself.

Also, saying that "meta is needed to kill bosses" is a lie...if you're good enough. Kitty's cleared easier wings with guard-only and reaper-only comps but those squads have at least moderately known what they're doing. As she likes to repeat "if the build lacks potential, you gotta compensate with by playing it to higher % of it's potential than your allies". But. 10 random players without a clue about raid builds or how to play them entering raids is just a recipe for disaster. Currently most bosses have enrages with about 25-35% boss dps requirement of what best speedrunners do and though that may sound low, bad build vs proper raid build already doubly make that difference making the dps of bad build too bad to kill the boss even if played by best player. And it is known that many open-world players do 10% of the dps that decent raiders do and that alone makes the idea of getting more peoples into raiding thru LFR make little sense as making raids accessible to everyone dps-wise either requires boosting even weakest possible builds 4x or lowering dps/mech requirements in raids to 25% of what they currently are (aka. Shiverpeaks Pass strike tier). And that'd obviously repel remaining raid-only players from gw2 due to lacking any challenge. Though guess new raiders would off-set that loss...if all of them suddenly started raiding. And how likely that'd happen? T1 fractals are already open for everyone (without specific requirements), are even more visibly accessible with direct portal from LA (to enter raids, you either need to enter small door to Aerodrome or find red portals in very obscure places (99% of raider prolly don't know where's the actual portal to W4). Not to mention better rewards per time spent. Same with strikes. Are they being played by everyone atm? Gotta remember that not even closely everyone are interested in instanced content as very few play GW2 for its endgame to begin with. Though those who are are very loud as instanced content is the area where most of complicated PVE problems are prominent. Has anyone heard complaints about bad balance from openworld-only players?

Kitty's personally teaching new raiders twice a week and she requires exotic-geared builds that work decently for their role (and Kitty runs some very exotic comps to let peoples play whatever kind of dps/support they want) and just having such meager requirement has got scared first-timers back to successfully raiding and killing bosses after their long pause caused by horrible first raid experiences with random groups.

E: prolly writing more at some point or not.

I said for NEW players. Experienced players can avoid more than half, if not all of the requirements purely through skillful play and very in depth knowledge of each fight. New players will never be able to do that and trying to do anything other than follow requirements will lead to a wipe.

It is possible to 4 man every boss in this game. Does that mean its reasonable for a totally new training group to try and 4 man dhuum? No that would be rediculous. For them to have a chance of success they will need to fill the basic requirements for dhuum.

If new players want a successful W1 run, I stand by they will need every position I listed covered.

And yes like I argued previously, lack of hard enrage or oneshot mechanics leads to issues like this. Bosses being soloable for skilled enough players, which shows they failed in their purpose to be really challenging content. Cairn also has this issue. VG gets a pass for being an intro boss. However, go to gorseval or sabetha and this becomes impossible, due to them having hard limits on minimum DPS, through limited updrafts, and platform health.

they insist on my meta perfect party only.

all that you keep describing are about the perfect party, to speed run and no fails.

the matchmaking is to find a base party for the average players, noone is forcing you to use it, you can always do your dream party with your premade, noone cares if the the raid could fail, at least they tried and played it, someone using a random group already know that they could fail.

strike matchmaking don't even specific roles in first place, you get a totally random party when healers are needed for random players, forcing players using lfg to find specific roles.

kicking option should be a vote kick with 9 players accepting it, so the fake semi god kids can fuck off.

players will eventually learn how to raid after they tried and the fail rates will be lower since they can talk to each other u know?

also they will be willing to learn how to play since they know they can find a raid with one click than waiting for years with toxic players on the lfg.

it's better trying and failing than never even enter a raid in their game life, because of the toxic players premade raids, show proof, dps meters, all that show how current raiders are toxic and because of that raid content is dead, because noone want to join and play with those guys, there's nothing to do with raid being harder.

if you put a lfg first thing you need to be a commander, then you need to wait 1 week there just to find one full raid, also they players will not join because they will think toxity incoming, probably want perfect party or kicked, gl with that.

the proof that raids lfg don't work is, they force you to go to a discord and join a guild with toxic players, follow their rules, meta only, just to enter in a raid, even with that you will have to wait days just to play.

@SeikeNz.3526 said:they insist on my meta perfect party only.

all that you keep describing are about the perfect party, to speed run and no fails.

the matchmaking is to find a base party for the average players, noone is forcing you to use it, you can always do your dream party with your premade, noone cares if the the raid could fail, at least they tried and played it, someone using a random group already know that they could fail.

strike matchmaking don't even specific roles in first place, you get a totally random party when healers are needed for random players, forcing players using lfg to find specific roles.

kicking option should be a vote kick with 9 players accepting it, so the fake semi god guys can kitten off.

players will eventually learn how to raid after they tried and the fail rates will be lower since they can talk to each other u know?

also they will be willing to learn how to play since they know they can find a raid with one click than waiting for years with toxic players on the lfg.

it's better trying and failing than never even enter a raid in their game life, because of the toxic players premade raids, show proof, dps meters, all that show how current raiders are toxic and because of that raid content is dead, because noone want to join and play with those guys, there's nothing to do with raid being harder.

if you put a lfg first thing you need to be a commander, then you need to wait 1 week there just to find one full raid, also they players will not join because they will think toxity incoming, probably want perfect party or kicked, gl with that.

the proof that raids lfg don't work is, they force you to go to a discord and join a guild with toxic players, follow their rules, meta only, just to enter in a raid, even with that you will have to wait days just to play.

The question i'm having with you're proposal is, whats the difference between this matchmaking system and just putting on lfg with welcome for all on it?or asking specific roles?

This would work just like LFG for fractals if they broke up the difficulty of the raids. I don't see why they can't just turn off an ability or two and reduce the boss's damage. Even just 3 tiers is fine- Tier 1 "storymode", tier 2 the regular difficulty of the raid, Tier 3 challenge mode. I'm sure something like this is coming one day. Two years later and they give us the underwater mount feature so I'm sure this is in the pipeline.

as i said before: want to try it out how it looks like -> queue random for boneskimmer. or get some experience in the actual raid so see why most players think the idea of LFR is kitten.there are other better ideas to make kitten more accessible (some kind of story mode for example)...but LFR is most definitly not the answer.

With them getting rid of the raid team and assuming strikes will magically create this pipeline towards raids just shows the flailing going on behind the scenes. IMO we need difficulty levels like how we did with fractals and I stand by that. The best policy is access because then everybody gets to experience all the content on the difficulty they prefer. I don't see any logical objections to that, do you?