"Mountain fractal" speculation?

Bast.7253

Anyone have any ideas on what the mountain fractal that was teased in September could be about? I know fractals are kind of difficult because they've so far only done the Joko one as a direct tie in to the current story, but what do you think it could be?

A teaser for the upcoming expansion and something involving that part of the world?

Something involving a previous dragon-rise or major world event that ties into the story?

Something involving Kodan/migration of the Norn/Jormag's first awakening?

Something else entirely and non-related to the story?

I do think it'll be a more-or-less direct tie in to the current plot because it's taking the place of an LW release like Visions of the Past was. My initial thoughts were that it'd be Asgeir's fight against Frostfang and Jormag, when he knocked out the tooth. Or that it'd be Braham's expedition against Jormag.

That said, people have been speculating that Bangar's timegated discussions will be alluding to the next release - either Episode 5 or the fractal. If it is for the fractal, I could see a few more possibilities, but they all pretty much deal with Jormag, or "Jormag's Enemy". The mountain involved is without a doubt the Shiverpeaks, though.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:I do think it'll be a more-or-less direct tie in to the current plot because it's taking the place of an LW release like Visions of the Past was.No it isn't. Anet has said previously that, after episode 4, the next release is going to be similar to LWS1 content, and will involve content that allows players to have some sort of impact on the game world. A fractal is not that.

It may be coming out at the same time as the next Vision type update, but it isn't the update itself.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:I do think it'll be a more-or-less direct tie in to the current plot because it's taking the place of an LW release like Visions of the Past was.No it isn't. Anet has said previously that, after episode 4, the next release is going to be similar to LWS1 content, and will involve content that allows players to have some sort of impact on the game world. A fractal is not that.

It may be coming out at the same time as the next Vision type update, but it isn't the update itself.

That doesn't counter the potential of the Fractal being tied to the LW or being the placeholder release - which given the timing, it very clearly is. They do LW-related releases every two months, and two months after Episode 4's release. Especially since they wouldn't have an update just for one fractal, CM or not. There's going to be more to the release.

Also, the dev didn't say immediately after Episode 4 either. They just said that it would happen "after episode 4".

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:I do think it'll be a more-or-less direct tie in to the current plot because it's taking the place of an LW release like Visions of the Past was.No it isn't. Anet has said previously that, after episode 4, the next release is going to be similar to LWS1 content, and will involve content that allows players to have some sort of impact on the game world. A fractal is not that.

That doesn't counter the potential of the Fractal being tied to the LW or being the placeholder release - which given the timing, it very clearly is. They do LW-related releases every two months, and two months after Episode 4's release. Especially since they wouldn't have an update just for one fractal, CM or not. There's going to be more to the release.

Also, the dev didn't say
immediately
after Episode 4 either. They just said that it would happen "after episode 4".

I don't know if you can assume that it's going to be related just because it's coming at the time we would normally expect an episode. They said they wanted a different format for this season and while it's not really been overly different from any other, it's not to say they couldn't release a separate fractal or another multi-arching story like they did last time that's meant to be separate. Of course that would be making the assumption we'll see more than this one fractal in the next 12 months which isn't likely, but it's possible. It feels like they rarely incorporate present story into fractals, or even dive into the history behind the ones we have. The one with Joko was the only outlier I can recall that actually used the game mode to expand on living world.

I'd say it's just as likely to be a teaser and set in Cantha or a non-related to anything fractal that's just released for the sake of releasing a fractal. The fact that they specifically stated "mountain" makes me think that it's going to tie into current living story or the future expansion though. Otherwise I wouldn't think they would be that specific.

That being said we may get a fractal in September and an episode in early October before the Halloween event cycle.

It's unlikely but I'm hoping the fractal release comes with the legendary armory and maybe even an introduction of a legendary ring or other item from fractals, as it seems like the perfect time. But that feature may have been shelved for an expansion selling point. I'd have to imagine it has to be more than just a fractal though if they don't plan on releasing another map/episode/vision soon after.

@"Bast.7253" said:I don't know if you can assume that it's going to be related just because it's coming at the time we would normally expect an episode. They said they wanted a different format for this season and while it's not really been overly different from any other, it's not to say they couldn't release a separate fractal or another multi-arching story like they did last time that's meant to be separate. Of course that would be making the assumption we'll see more than this one fractal in the next 12 months which isn't likely, but it's possible. It feels like they rarely incorporate present story into fractals, or even dive into the history behind the ones we have. The one with Joko was the only outlier I can recall that actually used the game mode to expand on living world.A bit contradictory in your statement there. You state they wanted a different format for this season, then go to say that they didn't link fractals to story before so it's not likely to do so now...

Thing is, "separate stories for their fractals and raids" would be previous formats - the only story related fractals were Twilight Oasis and Thaumanova Reactor, while the only story related raid was Forsaken Thicket (and tentatively Bastion, I guess - Season 4 raids were completely separate from the LW plot). And except for Thaumanova, they were backstory or preludes only; plus, they said they're returning to having Season 1-like content, but permanent, so while I doubt that is talking about Fractured (I think it's referring to the same thing as the Current Events - new events in old maps; plus the Captain's Council Voting of Cutthroat Politics, likely for new Iron and Blood Imperators), it wouldn't be surprising. This season has been a different format though - shared maps, intermission story releases that aren't episodes, a prologue and, if the portal tome remains accurate from its introduction, eight episodes instead of six.

That said, I do think that it's sufficient evidence to theorize that the fractal will be story related. The main thing is that the fractal release is taking a LW release slot, just as Visions of the Past did, and that was story related. Could it be unrelated? Of course. I feel confident in believing it will be.

That being said we may get a fractal in September and an episode in early October before the Halloween event cycle.That would break the two month cadence, and if they were planning on releasing Episode 5 two weeks after the Fractal release, why not just release them at the same time? That makes no sense.

I'd have to imagine it has to be more than just a fractal though if they don't plan on releasing another map/episode/vision soon after.They never released something that was just one fractal or just one raid. The four raid-only releases we got all had something else included - legendary collections, open world events, etc. When they had a fractal-focused release [Fractured], they again had the new fractal, plus four fractals converted from old content, plus several achievements. None of them were big, but they were about the same size as Visions of the Past was, which had one strike, one story instance, four weapon collections, and four returning S1 instances.

So I suspect we'll get roughly the same amount of content as Visions of the Past:1 Fractal + CM1-2 story instances + 1 story-in-fractal instance3-5 Season 1 instances (my guesses: Opening Ceremony, Scarlet's Playhouse, Nightmare Chamber, and Scarlet's End)Several new fractal antics achievements (I'd suspect a new category like we have for Nightmare and Shattered Observatory)Several other achievements, including a few collections

Oh Dwayna please no... Not that again...

Hmm, would be interesting to learn or how the Hammer of the Great Dwarf got there, why Cyndr was protecting the place (coincidence or intended?).

Most interesting about that final room is that it has a mixture of norn structures, a dwarven statue and powerful relic, and has Realm of Torment screaming stone faces.

Hmm, would be interesting to learn or how the Hammer of the Great Dwarf got there, why Cyndr was protecting the place (coincidence or intended?).

Most interesting about that final room is that it has a mixture of norn structures, a dwarven statue and powerful relic, and has Realm of Torment screaming stone faces.

Stop giving them ideas. This place should remain in GW1. Something more recent to the story line would be nice, like being along one of the mountains when Kralk wakes up and flies over.

Stop giving them ideas. This place should remain in GW1. Something more recent to the story line would be nice, like being along one of the mountains when Kralk wakes up and flies over.

I think the cool thing about fractals is you can fill in gaps in lore in the past. We have LS for the present. Frostmaw's Burrows would be another cool possibility. Now that Jormag has corrupted the legendary Frostmaw! :lol:

Please stop bringing up the harder dungeons from GW1 lol. True FotM is a good opportunity to explore the past, but I'd rather it not be related to one of the old dungeons. I'd like to see a "Mountain" in the Fissure of Woe and it be related to a final showdown with Menzies, either as the Shadow Army, or as Balthazar's Eternals. I kind of want to know the details of that final fight since his head ended up as a torch.

The thing about "should remain in GW1" is that anything that's lacking in lore in GW1 will never ever be explored in GW1, sadly. Fractals - and Visions of the Past now - are the best hope for getting exploration of these things.

That said, what would Kralk flying overhead really give us?

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Please stop bringing up the harder dungeons from GW1 lol.You know difficulty won't cross over between games, right?

I kind of want to know the details of that final fight since his head ended up as a torch.That's not Menzies' actual head. Menzies' fate isn't actually known - for all we know, "The Fate of Menzies" isn't his literal fate, but rather Balthazar's intended fate for him.

While PoF does imply Menzies was defeated, there's no solid confirmation of his death.

The thing about "should remain in GW1" is that anything that's lacking in lore in GW1 will never ever be explored in GW1, sadly. Fractals - and Visions of the Past now - are the best hope for getting exploration of these things.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Please stop bringing up the harder dungeons from GW1 lol.You know difficulty won't cross over between games, right?

I kind of want to know the details of that final fight since his head ended up as a torch.That's not Menzies' actual head. Menzies' fate isn't actually known - for all we know, "The Fate of Menzies" isn't his literal fate, but rather Balthazar's intended fate for him.

While PoF does imply Menzies was defeated, there's no solid confirmation of his death.

Hence why a FoW fractal would be great, fighting on the top of a mountain overlooking the plains in the FoW where the armies are fighting their last great battle. Might even be the reason why Balth was so eager to fight the dragons, because he already vanquished his greatest foe.

Hence why a FoW fractal would be great, fighting on the top of a mountain overlooking the plains in the FoW where the armies are fighting their last great battle. Might even be the reason why Balth was so eager to fight the dragons, because he already vanquished his greatest foe.

Maybe he couldn't defeat Menzies and was seeking out more power to do so.

But yeah I'd like to see the FoW back. The Temple of War is kinda... a mountain.