Salt on the Wound Achievement - Targeting bugged

I posted about this in the discussion forum, but after trying this achievement 30+ times I believe it's actually bugged.

• The weak points get out of line of sight too quickly compared to existing videos on YouTube
  • Many shots either miss completely (with a "Miss!" message) or simply have no effect. The former is annoying but can be worked around somewhat; the latter is completely mystifying and makes fine-tuning frustrating.
  • Shots do not always hit the weak spot you targeted. Not sure if this is a bug or intended.

I uploaded a video demonstrating the second point:https://www.twitch.tv/videos/698957630

In the video, I have my combat log open to make it easier to notice when the shots do damage. As you can see, they have no effect until I've already flown about halfway through the segment. I've ruled out the following theories:

• I am too close to the target - I ruled this out by trying to target every single weak point, both near and far, at the beginning, and NONE of them can be damaged until I've flown about halfway.
  • The shots take a long time to reach the weak point and thus show up in the combat log - I ruled this out with a different run where I stopped firing after about 5 shots. NO damage at all was caused in that run.

I'd like to request at least a second look at this instance/achievement to see if it's working properly. No other achievement in the game has seemed as broken as this one in terms of the mechanics.

• Like 1

I'm having the exact same issue, I tried at least 10 times tonight on a few different characters and nothing seems to be changing. Most of my shots with Aurene just go straight through Kralky with nothing happening, some say 'Miss!' but rarely. During the first segment I can only seem to hit his head about half way through the flight, then the second fly over I can rarely hit a spot on the first wing, most of the time can hit the shoulders but after you fly across his back I've only ever gotten about two shots off across every try, every weak point is blocked and Aurene just won't fire.

It's a real bummer, I need one other achievement and one more astral weapon and I'll have the first stage of Vision achievements done and there's no way around this achievement.

• Like 1

I couldn't get this achievement done, either, until I read a comment (somewhere!) that said to only attack the weak points in front of you - focus fire until you get one spraying the purple "blood?". Don't go for the ones behind you. I managed to get it with that strategy. I've also helped a person who couldn't get this achievement by going in with them. They were party leader. If you enter with a party, the party members don't get your skills. Instead, they get a special skill that tremendously buffs the damage that you do. This means that the weak points take fewer hits to damage them sufficiently.

I also experienced your targetting problem, and I had autotarget on.

The relatively long recharge rate on the player's skill is frustrating as well. You fly past so many points while the skill is recharging, and you're heavily penalised for being unable to lock onto a weak point.

I ended up recruiting another player to help me with this, and we got it on the first try. I did try the "target in front of you" strategy multiple times - in fact, the majority of my runs I did this because it's what people suggested on various threads. I didn't try targeting behind me until I started experimenting after failing dozens of times. Targeting in front helps with the line of sight problem, but not with the excessive "miss" problem.

• 4 weeks later...

HelloI have same problem. After many tries solo and make a two member party with another players, I start to see videos from YouTube to find problem for many fails.I found this link in YouTube. Same problem as above, shots not hit weak points and take a long time to reach them, can't hit most spots with 3 or 4 shots on the first wing except one or two and on right wing can't even fire on weak points. Not working like 2019, something going wrong with this achievement.link from May 2019:

@"Voss.9372" said:I am having this exact same issue. When I bring someone, they get the "miss" problem as well. I've submitted a bug report.

Just to update anyone curious, I was able to get the achievement with 1 other person in my party. I still firmly believe it is bugged. Not being able to hit 90% of the weak points is just wrong.

It is broken, the fires goes in completely different spots that you are targeting or just don't hit anything. Also due the bad achievement design in War Eternal you can't complete the meta achievement which locks you progress on Vision, that is just so awful. Can someone from Anet look at this thread and push it to priority to fix.

Here is a video of the whole fight, if you compare with the video above it is very clear that there is something wrong with the hit points

• 4 months later...

After hitting my head on the desk a few times I solo'd this achievement

some tips (as of this patch) your mileage may vary. I can agree with others above, it is super buggy.

• You don't need to target 10 separate nodes, based on my combat log I hit weak spots 29 times + 1 for the intial head strike (I think it just looks for a count of hits for the achievement)
  • for the first damage phase make sure you are on the extreme right side of Kralkitorrik before it starts (this will give you time to target his tail for an extra set of hits)
  • The first phase is where most people fail the requirement (I targeted the tail for 3 hits, the left rear leg, center body and looked behind me to shoot at a few more for a total of 12 hits on the first phase... every time I failed I got 9 or less hits on the first phase, so I think that was where I was failing the achievement)
  • The second damage phase I targeted the left wing claw, then the left wing/body (which I think might have hit 2 nodes with area of affect.. so it might give you extra hits for your attacks) Right wing/body node and then right wing claw.
  • If you get the achievement it will flash when you enter Balth's Domain (most videos don't show it because they never got it)
  • I did have +precision crit food (I was wearing full exotic mauraders.. my crit was definitely higher than 5% cited in the character window when riding Aurene in the instance. which might have helped destroying nodes faster with double damage..)
  • I did try to keep the targeted spot centered in my window and I did have to rotate the camera behind me to hit the right wing side nodes.
  • If you are trying this on multiple characters that haven't played it before and have to do the painfully slow intro scene, walk backwards with Braham (you walk faster backwards then forwards)

Good luck

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Ironwill.5389 said:After hitting my head on the desk a few times I solo'd this achievement

some tips (as of this patch) your mileage may vary. I can agree with others above, it is super buggy.

• You don't need to target 10 separate nodes, based on my combat log I hit weak spots 29 times + 1 for the intial head strike (I think it just looks for a count of hits for the achievement)
  • for the first damage phase make sure you are on the extreme right side of Kralkitorrik before it starts (this will give you time to target his tail for an extra set of hits)
  • The first phase is where most people fail the requirement (I targeted the tail for 3 hits, the left rear leg, center body and looked behind me to shoot at a few more for a total of 12 hits on the first phase... every time I failed I got 9 or less hits on the first phase, so I think that was where I was failing the achievement)
  • The second damage phase I targeted the left wing claw, then the left wing/body (which I think might have hit 2 nodes with area of affect.. so it might give you extra hits for your attacks) Right wing/body node and then right wing claw.
  • If you get the achievement it will flash when you enter Balth's Domain (most videos don't show it because they never got it)
  • I did have +precision crit food (I was wearing full exotic mauraders.. my crit was definitely higher than 5% cited in the character window when riding Aurene in the instance. which might have helped destroying nodes faster with double damage..)
  • I did try to keep the targeted spot centered in my window and I did have to rotate the camera behind me to hit the right wing side nodes.
  • If you are trying this on multiple characters that haven't played it before and have to do the painfully slow intro scene, walk backwards with Braham (you walk faster backwards then forwards)

Good luck

Thanks, really good advice. I was able to solo it in about 5 tries thanks to this. For anyone else that follows, I can confirm that you seem to only need 30 hits, not on 10 distinct nodes. Can also confirm you will get the achievement right as you enter the Balthazar zone (and if you failed, the buff indicator will just go away), so you don't have to waste your time doing the rest to check. The key seems to be to get the multi hits, and the nodes on the body seem best for that. I was getting 13 hits after the first phase, and many of them were from turning around and hitting the body at the end. I also used no specific food or crit gear, so can't confirm or deny whether that actually helps.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I give up, I may try to re-do all tips above but it seems that it just worked for some people, they added some philosophy to it and that's it. The targeting and hitting still is not working correctly and it's infuriating...

Really shame as I loved this story step and I will have really mixed memory out of it... I give up on this achievement which happens rarely...

• 1 month later...

Finally got it after 15 tried. I hit him 25 times including the head. 12 on the body, 10 on the left wing, 4 on the right wing. Once I saw in the combat log that I was getting a hit I just spammed and didn't switch to the other wing until I had to. This is so broken and it has me wondering if it's damage based and not hit based. In that case you would want to go with friends and just spam as many landed hits as you can. Good luck. Devs really need to fix this or change meta number to 13. So frustrating.

Hi, just coming on here to confirm the issues everyone is having are also true for me. Tried all the tips and tricks without succeeding by myself. Eventually got tired of it and submitted it as a bug since: No clarity on how how to do the achievement, mine would fail without me knowing how many I did correctly and why. Also extreme frustration around targeting missing and line of sight issues.

In the end I managed to team up with a friend and got the achievement in 2 tries, still not knowing how we got it that time - obviously we hit the 10 targets correctly but we really still did not see and understand what we did differently from the try before. So my recommendation would be to go and do it with a friend. To the GuildWars 2 team I would say; please make it more clear when you hit a target successfully.

Edited by MisterOiZo.4359

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tried it a few times today. Still broken, apparently. Was shocked when I looked it up on wiki and saw that it's been bugged since late 2020. That's...a really long time. If War Eternal at least gave you choices for which achievements to do to get the meta, like some other chapters do, but no.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh. Just got it.

The trick is to make sure you are hitting him enough times. Does not really matter where.

Pop up your combat log an make sure you hit him at least 13 times during the first phase, and 14 times during the second.

If you are using action camera, you can use the left mouse button to 'lock' on to a point.

This is hilarious, it's STILL bugged with the same bugs consistently reported since 2020. I'm still trying it but thanks for all the tips...

EDIT: Finally got it after following the tips in here.

Indeed all it takes is hitting any one spot, you should use your combat log because you will necessarily get miss/obstructed. If you get less than 13 hits on first phase, relog, and as long as you have this minimum targetting anything on second phase should work. Keep in mind on second phase you might annoyingly actually destroy a weak point and must quickly retarget, but just keep spamming 1 regardless and as long as you can always target something you should get it.

Edited by maxwelgm.4315

On 2/13/2022 at 9:35 PM, Endarion.9365 said:

Still broken. How has this not been fixed? Especially since it is required in a Meta achievement and for a legendary item?

Anet does a really poor job when it comes to fixing bugs that are not critical (crashing game, server, etc)...