HoT = Dark Souls ? Casual Gamer perspective.

@Vayne.8563 said:I would agree with the complain that there should have been an open world ramp up to HoT and the Silverwastes and Dry Top were supposed to be that ramp. They are hard...if you try to solo everything. But if you learn to use the LFG tool and look for an active map, particularly in the Silverwastes, they're much much easier. HoT is definiteliy hard solo. Soloing is a choice.

I guess the problem with Silverwastes and Dry Top as preparation for HoT is:

• In SW you indeed fight many of the Mordrem foes that you will encounter later in the jungle. But, since that part of SW is a rather small area filled with group events, players almost always have other people around to help each other out (or they are even doing RIBA alongside a full squad). Then they wander into the 3-story green hell that is Verdant Brink and sooner or later find themselves all alone in a very hostile environment. Surrounded by dangerous mixed groups of Mordrem or Hylek, and nasty wildlife that's out to eat them alive. Kinda like Orr was at release, but even harder.
  • Dry Top is something completely different. The trash mobs there are pretty tame and have nothing to do with the jungle theme.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:You're triggered. Tons of players love HoT. Sorry you hate it with such passion, but the fact is you are not representative of the average player and the core game was never remotely as popular as you seem to think it was.

if the core game was that bad, it wouldnt had sold roughly a mio times every year. hot only sold around 1.5 mio times TOTAL.if TONS of players loved it, you can bet that they would had made MORE like it. a good mmo is like a house, if the foundation is flawed, its never gonnawork out.

Exactly. The core game was flawed, so they made it better. And here we are. If only they hadn't made the mistake of making those boring PoF maps by listening to people like you who hated HoT, we'd have a great game! Oh well. At least the other features from PoF were good.

I don't see that as a mistake. I see it as Anet listening to their customers and analyzing their data.

Call it whatever you like. When the next expansion arrives and it doesn't feature huge, empty core-style maps with low replay value due to lack of compelling/rewarding group content, it'll just be ANet listening to their customers again.

@"Vayne.8563" said:I would agree with the complain that there should have been an open world ramp up to HoT and the Silverwastes and Dry Top were supposed to be that ramp. They are hard...if you try to solo everything. But if you learn to use the LFG tool and look for an active map, particularly in the Silverwastes, they're much much easier. HoT is definiteliy hard solo. Soloing is a choice.

Spending 8 months doing only RIBA/chest runs in the Silverwastes surely had a major negative effect on the community's ability to play the game. Then, when HOT was released and pressing 1 and F wasn't enough to earn rewards it was seen as a mass difficulty spike, when in reality the "spike" wasn't as large. Especially for players that played during Season 1, there are countless examples of Season 1 mobs and story instances of a similar level as HOT, but since all that was scrapped, we were left with a gigantic leap between core and HOT.

And on a similar note, the mass nerfs they did to all the hardest hitting Silverwastes mobs with the release of HOT doesn't really help the situation. Nowadays even when you go solo, the Silverwastes is a total joke compared to how it used to be before HOT. For anyone interested, go to Iron Marches and you will find some veteran/champion mordrem that are using the old abilities.

@Croc.1978 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:I would agree with the complain that there should have been an open world ramp up to HoT and the Silverwastes and Dry Top were supposed to be that ramp. They are hard...if you try to solo everything. But if you learn to use the LFG tool and look for an active map, particularly in the Silverwastes, they're much much easier. HoT is definiteliy hard solo. Soloing is a choice.

I guess the problem with Silverwastes and Dry Top as preparation for HoT is:
  • In SW you indeed fight many of the Mordrem foes that you will encounter later in the jungle. But, since that part of SW is a rather small area filled with group events, players almost always have other people around to help each other out (or they are even doing RIBA alongside a full squad). Then they wander into the 3-story green hell that is Verdant Brink and sooner or later find themselves all alone in a very hostile environment. Surrounded by dangerous mixed groups of Mordrem or Hylek, and nasty wildlife that's out to eat them alive. Kinda like Orr was at release, but even harder.
  • Dry Top is something completely different. The trash mobs there are pretty tame and have nothing to do with the jungle theme.

Except that I go into the Silverwastes quite frequentlyi and if I don't LFG there aren't that many players around randomly. And there are just as many players on HoT maps if you're not talking about an organized map. People were probably trained to solo and so they continue to try to solo. That's the real issue.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Vayne.8563" said:I would agree with the complain that there should have been an open world ramp up to HoT and the Silverwastes and Dry Top were supposed to be that ramp. They are hard...if you try to solo everything. But if you learn to use the LFG tool and look for an active map, particularly in the Silverwastes, they're much much easier. HoT is definiteliy hard solo. Soloing is a choice.

Spending 8 months doing only RIBA/chest runs in the Silverwastes surely had a major negative effect on the community's ability to play the game. Then, when HOT was released and pressing 1 and F wasn't enough to earn rewards it was seen as a mass difficulty spike, when in reality the "spike" wasn't as large. Especially for players that played during Season 1, there are countless examples of Season 1 mobs and story instances of a similar level as HOT, but since all that was scrapped, we were left with a gigantic leap between core and HOT.

And on a similar note, the mass nerfs they did to all the hardest hitting Silverwastes mobs with the release of HOT doesn't really help the situation. Nowadays even when you go solo, the Silverwastes is a total joke compared to how it used to be before HOT. For anyone interested, go to Iron Marches and you will find some veteran/champion mordrem that are using the old abilities.

My guess is those are are US LFG and doing Riba aren't really teh guys having troiuble with HoT. though. It's the guys who don't know how to use LFG, or a timer site, who just wander into the game from the core game with little Silverwastes experience that are probably having more problems by percentage.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@battledrone.8315 said:if the core game was that bad, it wouldnt had sold roughly a mio times every year. hot only sold around 1.5 mio times TOTAL.

If the core game wasn't bad they wouldn't need expansions. But it wasn't doing very well.Also, you are still missing the fact that the game went free to play shortly before the launch of HOT. If core was such a good deal then more players would buy the expansions, but apparently it wasn't good enough to force conversions as it send players away before they even passed the tutorial.

name me ONE mmo, that didnt have expansions. the only one i can think of is wildstar, and that was because they went for the hardcore crowd, and thereforewere struggling to survive right from the start.if hot was such a good deal, people would gladly had paid or it, but they didnt. and they could even play the GOOD part for free too.even the mighty wow in its glory days only had about 20 % of ALL players past level 20, only about 10% even reach max level.and that was years ago, when they actually had a GOOD game. today that statistic is prolly MUCH worse

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@"battledrone.8315" said:

"commander, our soldiers are deserting, because we rearm the prisoners, they had just risked their lifes to capture"from a gaming perspective it would make sense, but it wouldnt make any sense at all from a logical perspectivewhen enemies are so dangerous, there usually ARE no prisoners. and any soldier would KILL anyone, who is trying to help the enemies

Eh, it would be super easy to circumvent this. The cheap and easy way out would be to have an asura work up some cop-out magitech simulator to cover all the combat types.

The other explanation would be that the prisoners are held securely and
nobody
has access to them in their armed state aside from the Commander. The rank and file soldiers would not be thrown against them, and security would be sensible (i.e. there wouldn't be armed Moredrem Snipers inside a flimsy cage that they can just fire at people from).

Also, why are you even here? Go play SWTOR already. I might reinstall it myself, it's been a while. I'm personally a huge fan of GSF there, it's one of the single most skill-balanced forms of pvp I've seen in any game.

4 days in , and im still waiting for the confirmation mail. they moved customer support to EA....looks like im not gonna play anyway

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"battledrone.8315" said:lool, so they have MILLIONS of players there? okay, have fun with that then. if that was true, i doubt thay have had to lay all those people of

Another uninformed comment, I guess should be expected. The layoffs didn't happen because of Guild Wars 2 performance, but because the "unreleased" projects weren't deemed profitable by NCSoft. It was an issue with Arenanet as a company and projects we'll never get to see, and not about the game. As for your million comment I need to remind you that the game never had millions of players.

if GW2 was performing well, it could had funded even more side projects. wow funded SEVERAL big titles, and even a 8 year project, that was scrappedif it never had MILLIONS of players, then i doubt , that hot would had sold over a million copies in the first month alone.they had them alright, but not anymore...

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:

GW2 was SOLD with the PROMISE of a no grind policy. if you dont see the problem there...

Read this as you misinterpreted the meaning behind their statement of "no grind" and continue to do so

Hey folks,

I just want to take a second to address this topic, because it’s something we state as one of our key philosophies – but don’t often clarify exactly what we mean we say it. And because everyone and their mother has their own unique interpretation of what grind can mean, it’s very simple for this to feel like we’re not following our own guidelines when we build and implement content.

When our company president said we have an anti-grind philosophy way back before Gw2 shipped, and when it has been repeatedly reinforced since then, our statement is simply: “We don’t think you should need to grind to get the best gear and stats in Guild Wars 2”.

So what exactly does that mean:
  • The best gear/stats: This means to have statistically the best abilities in the game, you shouldn’t need to, by our definition of the word, grind. This goes for leveling and getting top gear (by our definition that’s ascended gear, legendary being an optional extra thing you can do, but don’t need to do.)
  • Grind: To us, grind means being required to do the same boring activity over and over again. In particular, the biggest reference we’re talking about here in traditional MMO’s is having to kill the same creatures over and over again to farm for levels or gear. In Gw2, you can gain exp and levels from a massive variety of game play, game modes, and content types. Same goes for the ability to acquire the gear to build up your characters. Similarly, ascended mats can be acquired from a wide variety of content types and game modes to allow you choice and options so you don’t need to grind to complete those goals. Our new mastery system continues to this promise as well, which we’ll go into more detail on soon.

There are certainly optional activities in the game players can embark on that I think we’d openly accept fall into the category of our definition of more “grindy”. Earning certain unique skins, and in particular some titles absolutely qualify as things we’d put on this list. Legendary weapons have components to them that fall into this category, though we’ll be doing work in HOT to make this much less the case. We feel these are optional choices players don’t need to do, but can if they want, and because they are optional are acceptable within our statement that “Gw2 doesn’t make you grind to have the best gear/stats”. That doesn’t mean we can’t make those activities more fun as well, but when we say “no grind philosophy” we’re not including optional things you can do, but don’t need to do, in our definition.

Hope that helps a bit, that’s our philosophy and definition we’re going by when we make those statements. They may not align to your definition of grind, and that’s ok – we’re fine with that! It’s just important you know what we mean when we make that statement so you can make decisions about how you view Gw2 and judge us by our actions/words.

Thanks again for being so passionate about this topic and the game which ever side of the discussion you fall on. It’s something incredibly important to modern MMO’s and gamers in general, and we truly appreciate the dialogue you all are having on topics like this. It’s what makes better games for all of us.

what is your point? are you trying to imply, that runes and sigils arent gear? or, that they dont improve my stats?or that i dont have to GRIND to get them?

There is gear with runes on them and those are cheaper than crafted i think medium is nika, devona for heavy and light was maybe zheds i think

still many hours of work with a questionable result, no thanks. specially since i never got past the experimental stage with runes and sigils

@battledrone.8315 said:if hot was such a good deal, people would gladly had paid or it, but they didnt. and they could even play the GOOD part for free too.

It's the other way around, if Core was such a good deal people would gladly pay to play the expansions. You seem to forget that the vast majority of accounts in this game haven't reached Orr or level 80, and the percentages of players that haven't reached the mid-levels or even left the tutorial are also large. You cannot blame the expansion if players haven't left the tutorial or the starter zone. And remember some of those that didn't leave the tutorial -paid- for it before the game went free to play. After the game went free to play we got comments by NCSoft themselves that the core game wasn't converting players, but hey go along and believe whatever you want even if it's against official statements.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@battledrone.8315 said:if hot was such a good deal, people would gladly had paid or it, but they didnt. and they could even play the GOOD part for free too.

It's the other way around, if Core was such a good deal people would gladly pay to play the expansions. You seem to forget that the vast majority of accounts in this game haven't reached Orr or level 80, and the percentages of players that haven't reached the mid-levels or even left the tutorial are also large. You cannot blame the expansion if players haven't left the tutorial or the starter zone. And remember some of those that didn't leave the tutorial -paid- for it before the game went free to play. After the game went free to play we got comments by NCSoft themselves that the core game wasn't converting players, but hey go along and believe whatever you want even if it's against official statements.

even THE BIGGEST MMO EVER doesnt have a good conversion rate, so how good could the smaller be? it is INDUSTRY STANDARD.its like a restaurant with a big FREE FOOD sign. people come in, get the meal, and then when the restaurant try to recouperate their losses by selling an expensivedessert, people just get up and leave. is anyone surprised by this?i would downgrade F2P to lvl 20 , just as wow. if theyre not hooked by then , they never will be. and 50$ for such a huge game is a real bargaincore is far from perfect, specially the looong buildup of zhaitan and the less than ideal endingbut it by far the smoothest levelling process in the whole industry, and even one, that you can skip via tomescore could use a workover, but they have MUCH bigger fish to fry

@battledrone.8315 said:

even THE BIGGEST MMO EVER doesnt have a good conversion rate, so how good could the smaller be? it is INDUSTRY STANDARD.its like a restaurant with a big FREE FOOD sign. people come in, get the meal, and they when the restaurant try to recouperate their losses by selling an expensivedessert, people just get up and leave. is anyone surprised by this?

Bad analogy since most players leave before reaching the mid point of the game. A better analogy would be: a big free food sign, people come in, get the salad and appetizer then leave before the main dish (which is also free) and never even get exposed to the "expensive" dessert. Is it the fault of the dessert that they left? No, it's because they didn't like the salad and/or the appetizer. This is what happens in Guild Wars 2

core is far from perfect, specially the looong buildup of zhaitan and the less than ideal ending

Build of Zhaitan and the less than ideal ending doesn't affect those (the vast majority of accounts) that never got past the mid-game and those that never got past the tutorial and the first zones.

core could use a workover, but they have MUCH bigger fish to fry

Much bigger fish than revamping what is causing all their revenue loss? That's not solid business idea but whatever you say. They are still trying to make more desserts (expansions and living world) when the real problem with this game is the appetizer.

@battledrone.8315 said:

GW2 was SOLD with the PROMISE of a no grind policy. if you dont see the problem there...

Read this as you misinterpreted the meaning behind their statement of "no grind" and continue to do so

Hey folks,

I just want to take a second to address this topic, because it’s something we state as one of our key philosophies – but don’t often clarify exactly what we mean we say it. And because everyone and their mother has their own unique interpretation of what grind can mean, it’s very simple for this to feel like we’re not following our own guidelines when we build and implement content.

When our company president said we have an anti-grind philosophy way back before Gw2 shipped, and when it has been repeatedly reinforced since then, our statement is simply: “We don’t think you should need to grind to get the best gear and stats in Guild Wars 2”.

• The best gear/stats: This means to have statistically the best abilities in the game, you shouldn’t need to, by our definition of the word, grind. This goes for leveling and getting top gear (by our definition that’s ascended gear, legendary being an optional extra thing you can do, but don’t need to do.)
  • Grind: To us, grind means being required to do the same boring activity over and over again. In particular, the biggest reference we’re talking about here in traditional MMO’s is having to kill the same creatures over and over again to farm for levels or gear. In Gw2, you can gain exp and levels from a massive variety of game play, game modes, and content types. Same goes for the ability to acquire the gear to build up your characters. Similarly, ascended mats can be acquired from a wide variety of content types and game modes to allow you choice and options so you don’t need to grind to complete those goals. Our new mastery system continues to this promise as well, which we’ll go into more detail on soon.

There are certainly optional activities in the game players can embark on that I think we’d openly accept fall into the category of our definition of more “grindy”. Earning certain unique skins, and in particular some titles absolutely qualify as things we’d put on this list. Legendary weapons have components to them that fall into this category, though we’ll be doing work in HOT to make this much less the case. We feel these are optional choices players don’t need to do, but can if they want, and because they are optional are acceptable within our statement that “Gw2 doesn’t make you grind to have the best gear/stats”. That doesn’t mean we can’t make those activities more fun as well, but when we say “no grind philosophy” we’re not including optional things you can do, but don’t need to do, in our definition.

Hope that helps a bit, that’s our philosophy and definition we’re going by when we make those statements. They may not align to your definition of grind, and that’s ok – we’re fine with that! It’s just important you know what we mean when we make that statement so you can make decisions about how you view Gw2 and judge us by our actions/words.

Thanks again for being so passionate about this topic and the game which ever side of the discussion you fall on. It’s something incredibly important to modern MMO’s and gamers in general, and we truly appreciate the dialogue you all are having on topics like this. It’s what makes better games for all of us.

what is your point? are you trying to imply, that runes and sigils arent gear? or, that they dont improve my stats?or that i dont have to GRIND to get them?

There is gear with runes on them and those are cheaper than crafted i think medium is nika, devona for heavy and light was maybe zheds i think

still many hours of work with a questionable result, no thanks. specially since i never got past the experimental stage with runes and sigils

Not really those sets are really cheap. Selling amors arent really profitable crafting runes cost more than buying them. Farmers dont rule economy the tp flippers do. But honestly i think you dont want to use tp. You can buy zerker with karma even

@AdamWarlord.6782 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:I think that you will find these "players" to be in a very small minority when it comes to HoT. Anet did listen. They nerfed it and the content that has followed HoT isn't near the same level of difficulty. Perhaps you might consider moving on from HoT maps and returning once you have a better grasp of your characters' skills/abilities?

I just played with a squad of 8 to complete one hero point. balthazar in Auric Basin, and all of them had a problem with the maps. so it ccleasrly isn't a minority or it was just a coincidence that 8 out of 8 people happen to believe the same.And yep Arenanet does listen, i was just raging when i mentioned that, i shall remove it. I hadn't known if they had actually nerfed the mobs.

I've duod it multiple times.

Difficulty is good. Without failure there can be no success.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@battledrone.8315 said:lool, so they have MILLIONS of players there? okay, have fun with that then. if that was true, i doubt thay have had to lay all those people of

Another uninformed comment, I guess should be expected. The layoffs didn't happen because of Guild Wars 2 performance, but because the "unreleased" projects weren't deemed profitable by NCSoft. It was an issue with Arenanet as a company and projects we'll never get to see, and not about the game. As for your million comment I need to remind you that the game never had millions of players.

if GW2 was performing well, it could had funded even more side projects. wow funded SEVERAL big titles, and even a 8 year project, that was scrappedif it never had MILLIONS of players, then i doubt , that hot would had sold over a million copies in the first month alone.they had them alright, but not anymore...

You are assuming facts not in evidence. No one here knows how Anet budgets for projects.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

even THE BIGGEST MMO EVER doesnt have a good conversion rate, so how good could the smaller be? it is INDUSTRY STANDARD.its like a restaurant with a big FREE FOOD sign. people come in, get the meal, and they when the restaurant try to recouperate their losses by selling an expensivedessert, people just get up and leave. is anyone surprised by this?

Bad analogy since most players leave before reaching the mid point of the game. A better analogy would be: a big free food sign, people come in, get the salad and appetizer then leave before the main dish (which is also free) and never even get exposed to the "expensive" dessert. Is it the fault of the dessert that they left? No, it's because they didn't like the salad and/or the appetizer. This is what happens in Guild Wars 2

core is far from perfect, specially the looong buildup of zhaitan and the less than ideal ending

Build of Zhaitan and the less than ideal ending doesn't affect those (the vast majority of accounts) that never got past the mid-game and those that never got past the tutorial and the first zones.

core could use a workover, but they have MUCH bigger fish to fry

Much bigger fish than revamping what is causing all their revenue loss? That's not solid business idea but whatever you say. They are still trying to make more desserts (expansions and living world) when the real problem with this game is the appetizer.

they have to make those desserts, since THEY HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO SELL. where do you think this game would be WITHOUT NEW CONTENT?revamping core would be a HUGE project, a la wow cataclysm or FF ARR, they prolly have to put all other projects on hold for many months.i dont see that happening in the coming years, specially since they have said, that they dont like to work with the older content

@kharmin.7683 said:

@battledrone.8315 said:lool, so they have MILLIONS of players there? okay, have fun with that then. if that was true, i doubt thay have had to lay all those people of

You are assuming facts not in evidence. No one here knows how Anet budgets for projects.

it doesnt matter, since another company has done it...ergo IT CAN BE DONEbut if we dont use THE BEST as reference anymore, im all for that too

Hey folks,

Not really those sets are really cheap. Selling amors arent really profitable crafting runes cost more than buying them. Farmers dont rule economy the tp flippers do. But honestly i think you dont want to use tp. You can buy zerker with karma even

and where do the flippers get the capital to start? i am not coming back until they have made some pretty big changes.farming or grinding is one thing, but to do it for AH barons is even worse. SPECIALLY in a game, that promised to be different in that regard

@battledrone.8315 said:

Hey folks,

and where do the flippers get the capital to start? i am not coming back until they have made some pretty big changes.farming or grinding is one thing, but to do it for AH barons is even worse. SPECIALLY in a game, that promised to be different in that regard

A game has to gave economy in this case a supply vs demand economy. Tp flipping to by something cheap and sell it for a profit. You act like earning gold is evil its not gw 2 unlike most mmos has a stable economy.

Hey folks,

A game has to gave economy in this case a supply vs demand economy. Tp flipping to by something cheap and sell it for a profit. You act like earning gold is evil its not gw 2 unlike most mmos has a stable economy.

stable? in the short time i was back, i literally saw the the prices of the most desired sigils DOUBLE. that aint stable, thats inflation.the one with +crit started at 3½ G, when i quit , it was at 7and i wonder how much it costs NOW

@battledrone.8315 said:

Hey folks,

stable? in the short time i was back, i literally saw the the prices of the most desired sigils DOUBLE. that aint stable, thats inflation.the one with +crit started at 3½ G, when i quit , it was at 7and i wonder how much it costs NOW

Its for demand is higher now its in the meta so the supply vs demand is working and other things. Also crit sigil is only 10s . Force and impact is the main meta now. Its stable for something became more wanted but supply is mostly from salvages wich means if not enough ppl farm there wont be enough supply wich would increase price

@battledrone.8315 said:

Hey folks,

Superior Sigil of Accuracy? It currently costs about 10.4 silver. In fact, its highest price ever was about 3.5 gold; it's never cost 7 gold. (Source: price history on GW2TP.) Given that its price has been steadily decreasing for years, if you want to argue that the GW2 economy is badly affected by inflation, this isn't the item to use in your argument.

Maybe you're thinking of Superior Sigil of Force (+5% damage), which has had some much higher prices over the years. But the price of that has been pretty stable for a while now, so there's no evidence of inflation there either.

@battledrone.8315 said:

it doesnt matter, since another company has done it...ergo IT CAN BE DONEbut if we dont use THE BEST as reference anymore, im all for that too

That's your argument? I mean, sure, anything CAN be done but you compared Anet with Blizzard in your example where everyone knows that the two game studios aren't even close in comparison.