EU servers a catastrophe

I get that spikes on every map including fractals and raids...when i play other games my connection is totally stable + i have youtube and whatnot open in the background when as soon as i start gw2 i close down everything else i can to avoid data traffic....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:did some bosses earlier today. Lots of people complained about lag. No lag for me. The only boss that was slightly laggy was Svanir Shamane. The rest was buttery smooth, while a lot of people complained.

Same, no lag, but occasional skill/action delays on several maps (PoF, LW,...).

@Randulf.7614 said:However bad the EU ones here get, Lotros have been down everyday for the last week. Even though I'm mostly on a GW2 break, I return here because they are still more stable than some other MMO's.

Not that improvements (and acknowledgement) aren't needed here mind you because they are. Some areas of the game are often unplayable

Turbine at least gave a status update daily and solved it reasonably fast.

• 1 month later...

@Ionut.2307 said:Has anyone tried using a VPN and see if there is any improvement?

That's unlikely seeing as this affects only certain maps/campaign and not the game as a whole.

People tend to confuse lag (client-sided) with latency (server-sided issue). The issue here is latency. If you are experiencing lag, your hardware can't cope with the current game requirements.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ionut.2307 said:Has anyone tried using a VPN and see if there is any improvement?

That's unlikely seeing as this affects only certain maps/campaign and not the game as a whole.

People tend to confuse lag (client-sided) with latency (server-sided issue).
The issue here is latency.
If you are experiencing lag, your hardware can't cope with the current game requirements.

Ah, but I'm afraid you had the wrong idea. VPN can be used to improve latency, usually by bypassing problematic network line.And on some cases, it might also improve your ping too.

@Keilan.2871 said:Ah, but I'm afraid you had the wrong idea. VPN can be used to improve latency, usually by bypassing problematic network line.And on some cases, it might also improve your ping too.

I admit I wouldn't know which VPN to pick that I can be certain is trustworthy and reduces latency for me.

Also, please explain to me how that would solve the issue when it's a very specific issue that is affecting everyone on EU on/in those specific maps/campaigns and not a random issue with generally connecting to ANet's servers.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

Also, please explain to me how that would solve the issue when it's a very specific issue that is affecting everyone on EU on/in those specific maps/campaigns and not a random issue with generally connecting to ANet's servers.

Well, I'm afraid I don't know much about ANet's server conditions. What I did was just explaining about VPN, and how it can help sometimes.If the problem lies in the servers, then VPN won't really do much.Have to say, I'm also pretty curious if VPN users actually had better ping and network stability in GW2 than us, non-VPN users.

@Keilan.2871 saidp

Also, please explain to me how that would solve the issue when it's a very specific issue that is affecting
everyone
on EU on/in those
specific
maps/campaigns and
not
a
random
issue with generally connecting to ANet's servers.

Well, I'm afraid I don't know much about ANet's server conditions. What I did was just explaining about VPN, and how it can help sometimes.If the problem lies in the servers, then VPN won't really do much.Have to say, I'm also pretty curious if VPN users actually had better ping and network stability in GW2 than us, non-VPN users.

Currently I have a decent rig, no fps issues beside the usual zergs. For speed a have a 1gb symmetrical connection, one of the best you can get in UK for home. PC is connected with the router via cable. So speed is not an issue and obviously is not from my end.

Now, in Bjora Marches for example and other places, like many others I experience skill delay and latency, sometimes up to 5 seconds or more.

What I noticed is this is even worst in specific parts of the map as well.Some people are not expericing lag at all, depending on countries. Someone from India said they don't have lag, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I am not sure exactly how a VPN works this case which is why I ask, if I will should get a VPN and configure it for the game to see me as playing from a country which doesn't experience lag?

Regards

VPN might help when your route to Anet is in the 3 digit zone, like 200-300+, circling the globe because reasons..But when the client shows 40-50 ms without any spikes, yet the skill lag is measured in seconds, the mother of all VPNs won't help.It is server side. Code or resource starvation. Or both.Also, they won't do a thing about it while people still buy the game and gems for shiny, worthless fluff.

@Deepcuts.9740 said:VPN might help when your route to Anet is in the 3 digit zone, like 200-300+, circling the globe because reasons..But when the client shows 40-50 ms without any spikes, yet the skill lag is measured in seconds, the mother of all VPNs won't help.It is server side. Code or resource starvation. Or both.Also, they won't do a thing about it while people still buy the game and gems for shiny, worthless fluff.

I understand that is server side. But shouldn't this be applied to everyone, every player lagging on said maps, no matter the location?How come some players are reporting no issues at all?

@Ionut.2307 said:

@"Deepcuts.9740" said:VPN might help when your route to Anet is in the 3 digit zone, like 200-300+, circling the globe because reasons..But when the client shows 40-50 ms without any spikes, yet the skill lag is measured in seconds, the mother of all VPNs won't help.It is server side. Code or resource starvation. Or both.Also, they won't do a thing about it while people still buy the game and gems for shiny, worthless fluff.

I understand that is server side. But shouldn't this be applied to everyone, every player lagging on said maps, no matter the location?How come some players are reporting no issues at all?

Lag applies differently to different people. Someone used to high latency won't notice sudden spikes, or server issues. Someone that is playing with 23 FPS won't notice skill lag either. Also, when people say they don't lag, are they playing on a map while others are having issues? A statement like "I don't lag" doesn't mean anything if you weren't lagging inside your home instance chatting with your friends. I'd take all comments from those saying they aren't lagging with a huge grain of salt.

@Ionut.2307 said:

@"Deepcuts.9740" said:VPN might help when your route to Anet is in the 3 digit zone, like 200-300+, circling the globe because reasons..But when the client shows 40-50 ms without any spikes, yet the skill lag is measured in seconds, the mother of all VPNs won't help.It is server side. Code or resource starvation. Or both.Also, they won't do a thing about it while people still buy the game and gems for shiny, worthless fluff.

I understand that is server side. But shouldn't this be applied to everyone, every player lagging on said maps, no matter the location?How come some players are reporting no issues at all?Keep in mind different skills, different priorities even in "low" lag scenarios.

In WvW for example, most zerglings can handle a little lag, especially if they are pushing into melee flailing their arms. They wont notice if an autoattack skips a beat because they are pretty much instantly hitting with another.

Non projectile AoE also usually works fine once its down (its getting it down thats the problem).

But some classes, mostly with slow ranged weapons fall apart from the same lag. Engineer pistol for example. It become totally broken. If the projectiles doesnt suddenly slow down or speed up, they literally go straight through targets.

Also GW2 does do some distance calclulations, if we are talking purely instance lag (ie movement, effects, NPCs, etc). However, the skill queue is global to the instance. You can do a 1v1 in a corner of the map and completely lag out because its a 70v70v70 on the other side of the map.

@Lottie.5370 said:Maybe I'm lucky but I've not experienced any of the lag problems that other people have been chatting about whilst on any of the maps - the one thing I do notice however is much longer loading screen times, especially to Eye of the North. They're almost instant to me for most maps, but EotN can take a good 10-20 seconds sometimes.

You are not alone. Eye of the North is the slowest loading map in the whole game for me too. Which is weird as it is probably the smallest (or one of the smallest ones) map in the game!!!

• Yesterday, The Desolation, Palawa Joko's Palace: 9 out of every 10 seconds actions and skills were severely delayed while enemies kept rubberbanding all across the place, making it impossible to play there.
  • Today, Crystal Oasis and The Desolation: action and skill delays, rubberbanding - although not nearly as bad as yesterday.

:-1:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

• Yesterday, The Desolation, Palawa Joko's Palace: 9 out of every 10 seconds actions and skills were severely delayed while enemies kept rubberbanding all across the place, making it impossible to play there.
  • Today, Crystal Oasis and The Desolation: action and skill delays, rubberbanding - although not nearly as bad as yesterday.Well I went to desolation today to get the 20 minions and it was atrocious. About 3s lag spikes (ie everything halts) followed by 5s of the server trying to catch up, repeat. I've never seen an instance so broken.

The thing I find odd is that Anet's latest comms still talk of it as a just a general issue, when this is an intense spike in specific maps. They must have some idea of the issue after 6 months. My faith in their ability to deliver anything is dropping away if they can't even be more transaparent and talk in more depth about this issue (at least mention it specifically and the cause of it)