Why is chain CC still a thing? - New Effect: "Resolved"

NO ONE enjoys being CCd to death. Playing a game is NOT FUN when you CAN'T PLAY! Right!?!? We all run out of stun breaks and Stability eventually. You shouldn't have to just give up at that point and say, "Oh Well, I'm dead!" Can't we all agree that fights that involve strategic dodging, blocking, well-timed heals and/or, dare I say it, even the occasional use of stealth are WAY more fun for all parties involved? I mean, this is not rocket science is it!?!?

I feel like nerfing CC damage in February was the wrong move. Hammer, Mace AND Rampage on Warrior are largely useless at this point. (Obviously other builds/classes were affected as well but, that seemed to me as the most egregious.) How about an effect applied on CC (like Revealed) that prevents any other CC for 1-2 seconds? Also, that same trait would limit the amount of damage received while CCd! Crowd Control will always be a part of the game and a good one at that but, with this trait, TIMING would be everything. Three attackers spamming CC at the same target at the same time would just be wasting their CDs. I know what you're thinking, Tanky builds would become unkillable. This could be solved by either, limiting healing with this new effect OR, just addressing the passive healing across the board and balancing that as well (Overdue). My proposed effect below.

Resolved: Applied when affected by Control Effects. Immune to Control Effects. Incoming damage reduced by 50%. Self-Healing Reduced by 50%. Duration: 2 seconds.

Let me know what you think!

There are games that have built-in mechanics like the one you describe. I understand wanting such a thing but Anet has never even discussed (to my knowledge) adding it and I think the reason is this: One of, if not THE core design philosophy behind GW2 is that it is a game where it is AS HARD AS POSSIBLE for one player to ruin the fun for someone on his team. Sure, it's possible for one person to apply a 3s stun to a foe just for another person to come along and over-right it with a 1/4s daze, but even if that happens, both players got to see that their skills had an effect. Another reason this may have never been added is because it would probably make the whole combat system feel janky. The PVP scene in this game limps along at this point on the laurels that it is very fluid and gives the player all the freedom to combo all over the place. Sometimes the best solution is also the most simple one: Reduce the amount (Most importantly) and duration of CC skills in the game. CC chaining was rarely an issue back before elite specs existed. Then, in order to get people to buy the expansion that everyone was super hyped about and were going to buy anyway, anet front-loaded the Elite specs with tons of CC. Remember when DH dazed on every trap placement and where activating Berserk mode taunted nearby foes? I'm actually surprised that Tempest wasn't released with a shout that granted shocking aura, can you imagine . . .

Keep things simple, there are already counters to CC (breakstun, stability or dodge/block/blind/invu cover the whole "prevention/guerison/avoidance" stuff).Now I agree that there are waaaay too many CC in this game (as of everything else) but I'd rather see the root of the problem be addressed by lowering the number of skills that apply CC / increasing their CD. They should have removed the CC from damage skills, not the damage from CC skills :)

I don't speak for everyone, but I play a CC spam bunker build right now and idunno... If "Resolved" became a thing, I don't think i'd change my ways .

Maybe instead of reducing damage, it could increase it.The whole reason I play a CC spam bunker build is because damage is too low to ever feel threatened without being outnumbered.

CC spam used to be less of a thing because there was more of a payoff for setting up for some high-hitting attacks.

For example: Pre-patch; as a Warrior you'd almost always skip the CC spam weapons, because the damage was actually consistent enough on weapons like Greatsword that you wouldn't need to just sit there and stunlock someone. You could actually do damage, and a lot more at that if you took a weapon that prioritized damage over CC.

But now the typical CC -> 100b or Arcing slice combo does about half the damage it used to, if even. There's no sense risking going squishy zerker stats for mediocre at best damage imo. The goal has changed from using CC aggressively; as an actual threat, and a way to start combos to just being as defensive and disruptive as possible. Never let people move and/or use skills. Play the timer instead of the actual game.

And that is super boring so i'm not going to shoot down your idea, but I think it would be a lot better to reward CC/follow ups rather than punishing it because punishing it so far has only lead to an over-abundance of it.

Games that have a system like resolve typically have CC breaks with long CD. CC breaks are abundant in GW2. The issue in GW2 is there way too many CC. Way way too many. Most meta builds run 3-5. Back in the day, this was countered by stability. But the current sPvP devs, in their infinite lack of wisdom, did not fucking understand that, and decided to reduce stability significantly. The result is this fucking mess meta that revolves around CC spam.

Resolve will only further fuck the balance. Solution? Just go back to where things before.

@MementoMortis.4258 said:How about an effect applied on CC (like Revealed) that prevents any other CC for 1-2 seconds? Also, that same trait would limit the amount of damage received while CCd! Crowd Control will always be a part of the game and a good one at that but, with this trait, TIMING would be everything.

Resolved: Applied when affected by Control Effects. Immune to Control Effects. Incoming damage reduced by 50%. Self-Healing Reduced by 50%. Duration: 2 seconds.

If I understand this correctly, this would punish the player on the offense, and reward the player who made a misplay by getting half damage for 1-2 seconds. That would mean that you are better off not press any CC abilities ever. Setting up a burst? Nah, -50% dmg. Interrupting heal? Lets give the enemy a 50% dmg reduction in the same time. Want to CC that glasscannon that is tearing your team apart? You just gave him protection on steroids. Your team has a control focused character? Good luck killing anyone, since the enemy team will run around with halved damage at the start of the fights... And the list goes on.

I've seen quite a few ideas on getting rid of CC spam, but this is the worst by far. CC spam builds are bad to play against, but they are not overperforming by any means, and they only become effective if they have a damage dealer with them.

@Antioche.7034 said:

@Tycura.1982 said:Nah the last thing this game needs is more hand holding

This tbh. I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I've /actually/ been chained CC'ed to death this season, with ~150-200 games played. And half the times it was spellbreakers in 1v1, so just me failing.

That is kinda is the issue though. Even before Feb patch, majority of the time I died, even outnumbered, was cuz I was CCed. With further nerfing the damage across the board, CC is the only game in town. There is nothing else left.

CC is somewhat okayish when the game is competitive. But that is rarely the case. And when you are on the losing end, you can easily get CCed 40-50 times. Even in competitive games, the name of the game is trying to lock down the opponent as much as possible.

Something needs to change.