Is This a Good Lore Idea?

Adry.7512

Hello,

One big problem is keep seeing and basically everyone I have interacted with had seen, is that this game lacks deep lore. You’re basically experiencing game lore through the eyes of the main character, which is the same as being clueless, the game itself does not have much lore books and such that you can explore to find out the history of things, at least not to a significant level. Why not use the priory library to add lore that players find throughout the game to read on their own time? Basically, nothing new would be required, the library is there but it lacks much lore. What if they start adding more lore books around the world that you can collect and they populate in the library? I have no idea why they haven’t done this before but it seems legit. What you think?

It’s been suggested many times over the years eps during Ls4 and there was a pro type plan for lore books prior to launch

I think you will find a lot of support and Anet have said they like the idea, it’s really a case of them deciding whether they can divert resources to it

@Randulf.7614 said:It’s been suggested many times over the years eps during Ls4 and there was a pro type plan for lore books prior to launch

I think you will find a lot of support and Anet have said they like the idea, it’s really a case of them deciding whether they can divert resources to it

Great! I would really hope so, but how many resources does it really require? The game has so much content, but not much in terms of lore and personal non group content. It would be nice to get off a meta and read up on game history and lore and really get engaged in it.

It's interesting to note they've sort of touched on a feature like this during LS4.

In Istan, there's an achievement to get overdue library books which upon completion lets you talk to a lady in the Astrolarium to get copies of the books to read.

While in Jahai, there's an achievement to get books for the children and collecting them ends up with them appearing on the bookshelf in Sun's Refuge.

In addition, in Jahai, there's also the collection to find various artifacts which puts them into Sun's Refuge next to the archaelologist and then they can be interacted with to get some lore about them.

This is in addition to the books available to read in Istan as part of the Heart in the Astrolarium (Though, it does mean you have to pick them up and put them on the shelf every time you want to read them...) as well as during LS2 when you enter the Durmand Priory, there's a bunch of books that can be read too.

So hopefully they do end up putting in more stuff like this. Ideally something like a bookshelf/library section in home instances that contains copies of books you collect throughout your travels, ideally also being retroactive because I've deleted a bunch of books because like heck can I keep them around with P2W inventory/bank tabs...

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if such a thing would also end up being paywalled in a horrendous way too (Such as having to pay to unlock "Additional shelves" with limited space...) which would suck...

One big problem is keep seeing and basically everyone I have interacted with had seen, is that this game lacks deep lore.The lore is actually has quite a bit of depth to it. The issue is that it comes in tiny pieces scattered throughout the entire game, often in the form of dialogue that doesn't actually seem like actual lore but nonsense text.

A lore codex of some sort would definitely help people out in realizing that there's more, especially if they make it unlock bit by bit based on what players do/interact with.

And, sadly, newer writers tend to not go the same directions as old writers, creating inconsistencies, dropped threads, etc.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

One big problem is keep seeing and basically everyone I have interacted with had seen, is that this game lacks deep lore.The lore is actually has quite a bit of depth to it. The issue is that it comes in tiny pieces scattered throughout the entire game, often in the form of dialogue that doesn't actually seem like actual lore but nonsense text.

A lore codex of some sort would definitely help people out in realizing that there's more, especially if they make it unlock bit by bit based on what players do/interact with.

And, sadly, newer writers tend to not go the same directions as old writers, creating inconsistencies, dropped threads, etc.

The new writers could, perhaps, benefit from said library even more than the players :)

@"Adry.7512" said:Hello,

One big problem is keep seeing and basically everyone I have interacted with had seen, is that this game lacks deep lore.

I disagree that it lacks deep lore but agree that a lore book archive should permanently exist, like the "journal" feature in other games. This game, if you didn't know by now usually takes its time exploring lore because if they did too much too soon they usually have to stand by the future choices they make. They give lore inch by inch they can fully control and orchestrate it all exactly how they see their vision unfold. I would also appreciate more lore in different ways like they way they released those 3 mini stories during the end of season 3.

Without going into details for spoilers, during Living World Season 2 you get to access a massive library with tons of (short) readable books about various history and lore related things. Why this is only temporarily accessible during an instance I have no idea. What people have been asking for already exists, they just need to open it up to the open world.

@Jagblade.4627 said:Without going into details for spoilers, during Living World Season 2 you get to access a massive library with tons of (short) readable books about various history and lore related things. Why this is only temporarily accessible during an instance I have no idea. What people have been asking for already exists, they just need to open it up to the open world.

That's not quite right.People have been asking for a library (or at least a bookshelf) to stow away all the books that currently occupy inventory space.Your LS2 library does not stow away such books.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Jagblade.4627 said:Without going into details for spoilers, during Living World Season 2 you get to access a massive library with tons of (short) readable books about various history and lore related things. Why this is only temporarily accessible during an instance I have no idea. What people have been asking for already exists, they just need to open it up to the open world.

That's not quite right.People have been asking for a library (or at least a bookshelf) to stow away all the books that
currently occupy inventory space.
Your LS2 library does not stow away such books.

Fair enough. An NPC somewhere in your Home Instance or at Durmand Hall in Divinity's Reach would be great for this then. Drop off what you have and then be able to pick them up or read through them later.

I never get why there is so few books in that hidden arcana of the priory, even the cave of order of whispers is so empty...

Also, there is a collection that is basically sit on every chair type of Tyria, can't it be possible to have one about collecting books and data around? At priory camps , at archives?

@Jagblade.4627 said:Without going into details for spoilers, during Living World Season 2 you get to access a massive library with tons of (short) readable books about various history and lore related things. Why this is only temporarily accessible during an instance I have no idea. What people have been asking for already exists, they just need to open it up to the open world.You can actually access the instance at any point ever since Season 4 Episode 4, due to the Requiem armor achievements; it was first made accessible outside of the story with HoT and the legendary weapon collections though.

@"hugo.4705" said:I never get why there is so few books in that hidden arcana of the priory, even the cave of order of whispers is so empty...

Also, there is a collection that is basically sit on every chair type of Tyria, can't it be possible to have one about collecting books and data around? At priory camps , at archives?Time and effort on the writers' part, since it was for two story instances and the interactive objects exist mainly to act as a distraction from the "puzzle" in the story objectives.

@Jagblade.4627 said:Without going into details for spoilers, during Living World Season 2 you get to access a massive library with tons of (short) readable books about various history and lore related things. Why this is only temporarily accessible during an instance I have no idea. What people have been asking for already exists, they just need to open it up to the open world.You can actually access the instance at any point ever since Season 4 Episode 4, due to the Requiem armor achievements; it was first made accessible outside of the story with HoT and the legendary weapon collections though.

@"hugo.4705" said:I never get why there is so few books in that hidden arcana of the priory, even the cave of order of whispers is so empty...

Also, there is a collection that is basically sit on every chair type of Tyria, can't it be possible to have one about collecting books and data around? At priory camps , at archives?Time and effort on the writers' part, since it was for two story instances and the interactive objects exist mainly to act as a distraction from the "puzzle" in the story objectives.

You're talking about the Hidden Arcana instance correct? Not just the Durmand Priory instance. So far I've found no way to return to the former without activating the Echoes of The Past chapter from Season 2.

@Jagblade.4627 said:

You're talking about the Hidden Arcana instance correct? Not just the Durmand Priory instance. So far I've found no way to return to the former without activating the Echoes of The Past chapter from Season 2.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Special_Collections#Getting_there

Exactly the info I needed! Thank you Mr. Popo.