Concerns about Elementalist

System

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we need perma pets i just think we need to rework how ele pets work for instance just to summon from lesser elemental glyph like:Fire - summon a fire imp that just flings fireballs at enemiesWater - summon multiple orbs that apply heal if you drop bellow a certain threshold (and comsume one of the orbs)Air - summon a spark that attacks from a distance but if you drop under 50% hp it switches places with the ele and stuns the current targetEarth - summon an elemental that taunts everyone who attacks the eleAnd then you can make them be permanent but to have some drawbacks in their use. Like the water one always attacks and everything but if it heals you too much you will have to resummon them or the air one if it switches positions like 3 times it despawns with the last telepost it did, earth can jsut be super tanky and die when the health reaches zero, and fire idk something else. The pets ele has now are all basically the same and just either get cc'ed to death or despawn after the time frame which can at most times be just at the worst moment and then you have to wait for the recharge timer.

@skunkstank.6128 said:I don't think we need perma pets i just think we need to rework how ele pets work for instance just to summon from lesser elemental glyph like:Fire - summon a fire imp that just flings fireballs at enemiesWater - summon multiple orbs that apply heal if you drop bellow a certain threshold (and comsume one of the orbs)Air - summon a spark that attacks from a distance but if you drop under 50% hp it switches places with the ele and stuns the current targetEarth - summon an elemental that taunts everyone who attacks the eleAnd then you can make them be permanent but to have some drawbacks in their use. Like the water one always attacks and everything but if it heals you too much you will have to resummon them or the air one if it switches positions like 3 times it despawns with the last telepost it did, earth can jsut be super tanky and die when the health reaches zero, and fire idk something else. The pets ele has now are all basically the same and just either get cc'ed to death or despawn after the time frame which can at most times be just at the worst moment and then you have to wait for the recharge timer.

So sad, took my elementalist out for the first time in a long, long time and ugh, just ugh. I used to main her a long time ago before all the nerfs. So, I took her back to DR and bought some dire armor because I want her tanky enough to survive open world and more than one enemy pounding on her in tight spaces. She's okay from a distance but not every fight is from a distance. Anyway, I agree with what you said especially about the earth elemental tanking. The devs must really hate elementalists to have killed them so badly. Squishiest class in the game and not even the most powerful. My necro tanks everything. My elementalist will go down if a strong wind blows at her.

@Tere.4759 said:

@"skunkstank.6128" said:I don't think we need perma pets i just think we need to rework how ele pets work for instance just to summon from lesser elemental glyph like:Fire - summon a fire imp that just flings fireballs at enemiesWater - summon multiple orbs that apply heal if you drop bellow a certain threshold (and comsume one of the orbs)Air - summon a spark that attacks from a distance but if you drop under 50% hp it switches places with the ele and stuns the current targetEarth - summon an elemental that taunts everyone who attacks the eleAnd then you can make them be permanent but to have some drawbacks in their use. Like the water one always attacks and everything but if it heals you too much you will have to resummon them or the air one if it switches positions like 3 times it despawns with the last telepost it did, earth can jsut be super tanky and die when the health reaches zero, and fire idk something else. The pets ele has now are all basically the same and just either get cc'ed to death or despawn after the time frame which can at most times be just at the worst moment and then you have to wait for the recharge timer.

So sad, took my elementalist out for the first time in a long, long time and ugh, just ugh. I used to main her a long time ago before all the nerfs. So, I took her back to DR and bought some dire armor because I want her tanky enough to survive open world and more than one enemy pounding on her in tight spaces. She's okay from a distance but not every fight is from a distance. Anyway, I agree with what you said especially about the earth elemental tanking. The devs must really hate elementalists to have killed them so badly. Squishiest class in the game and not even the most powerful. My necro tanks everything. My elementalist will go down if a strong wind blows at her.

Have you tried tempest or weaver? I know core ele is not in a great place, but the elite specs are quite capable in all game modes. If you have dire gear, you'd already be set to try my weaver build. It's a beast for open world, although I find it works great for PvP, roaming, and fractals as well.

If you haven't already, check out my thread here on the elementalist forum. It has video, build links, and discussion: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/107218/open-world-domination-fire-weaver#latest

This is not to say that I disagree with the assessment of core ele or that the elite specs are problem-free. But it's not all doom and gloom. Maybe you will find something to find your way with the class again?

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"skunkstank.6128" said:I don't think we need perma pets i just think we need to rework how ele pets work for instance just to summon from lesser elemental glyph like:Fire - summon a fire imp that just flings fireballs at enemiesWater - summon multiple orbs that apply heal if you drop bellow a certain threshold (and comsume one of the orbs)Air - summon a spark that attacks from a distance but if you drop under 50% hp it switches places with the ele and stuns the current targetEarth - summon an elemental that taunts everyone who attacks the eleAnd then you can make them be permanent but to have some drawbacks in their use. Like the water one always attacks and everything but if it heals you too much you will have to resummon them or the air one if it switches positions like 3 times it despawns with the last telepost it did, earth can jsut be super tanky and die when the health reaches zero, and fire idk something else. The pets ele has now are all basically the same and just either get cc'ed to death or despawn after the time frame which can at most times be just at the worst moment and then you have to wait for the recharge timer.

Have you tried tempest or weaver? I know core ele is not in a great place, but the elite specs are quite capable in all game modes. If you have dire gear, you'd already be set to try my weaver build. It's a beast for open world, although I find it works great for PvP, roaming, and fractals as well.

If you haven't already, check out my thread here on the elementalist forum. It has video, build links, and discussion:

This is not to say that I disagree with the assessment of core ele or that the elite specs are problem-free. But it's not all doom and gloom. Maybe you will find something to find your way with the class again?

I my opinion the main problem we are all focusing on is that elementalist was supposed to be complex but if you master it you can one-shot most things (after years of mastering) but the class has come to a point where you need to basically play La Campanella on your keyboard and just do average damage to things. The problem is not the complexity i think most of us started playing elementalist because of it but it doesn't feel rewarding to master it because you can just switch to something else and one shot everything with the press of one button.Sorry for the long rant i just had to say it.

If you haven't already, check out my thread here on the elementalist forum. It has video, build links, and discussion:

I have tried tempest, ugh. I need to get weaver, which is what I'm working towards (found a weaver build online), but have to get the hero points to open weaver up and need to survive to do that. I don't like tempest.

@Tere.4759 said:

I have tried tempest, ugh. I need to get weaver, which is what I'm working towards (found a weaver build online), but have to get the hero points to open weaver up and need to survive to do that. I don't like tempest.

Without knowing your preferences, if I were struggling to survive with tempest, I would try something like this: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Tempest_-_Condi_Tempest

If gear cost/acquisition is an issue, just run dire exotic. You can use the same stats on a weaver build like this, which I can confirm is amazing for solo open world/story play:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwmYXMJmJOKXdvaA-zRRYcRDHHZQjlROJQmFgDzSVSbA-e

Here's a video sample of my weaver solo against the Zintl Inquisitor HP in Tangled Depths. This challenge features a champion accompanied by a veteran and a number of normal units on a fast respawn timer. If a build can survive this challenge and deal enough damage to beat the respawn timer, it can handle just about anything!

If condi isn't your preference and you're still struggling, feel free to hit me up in game. I don't mind helping out with some hero points if I'm not busy. I'm on NA, not EU.

Without knowing your preferences, if I were struggling to survive with tempest, I would try something like this:

If gear cost/acquisition is an issue, just run dire exotic. You can use the same stats on a weaver build like this, which I can confirm is amazing for solo open world/story play:

Here's a video sample of my weaver solo against the Zintl Inquisitor HP in Tangled Depths. This challenge features a champion accompanied by a veteran and a number of normal units on a fast respawn timer. If a build can survive this challenge and deal enough damage to beat the respawn timer, it can handle just about anything!

If condi isn't your preference and you're still struggling, feel free to hit me up in game. I don't mind helping out with some hero points if I'm not busy. I'm on NA, not EU.

I have always preferred condition damage but because power at one point was nerfed into the ground and condition was the way to go. Anet just can't make up their minds. I'm told condition weaver is the way to go so I to get out there and get those HPs. At the moment, I am finally enjoying my warrior with a longbow, imagine that (condition berserker).

• 2 weeks later...

I mained d/d Ele for the longest time when I played years ago. Loved the active playstyle, and only felt like I was in real danger when I messed up my rotations.

After a several year break from GW2, I came back ealier this year and really wanted to like my Ele. I've been running fresh air Tempest, and the clunkiness of having to run around channeling overload air makes me feel like I can't dodge when I need to and I end up feeling very squishy. It's very possible I just don't get how to play Ele anymore, but I remember having such a good time on core d/d back in the day that it feels frustrating.

@Gibson.4036 said:I mained d/d Ele for the longest time when I played years ago. Loved the active playstyle, and only felt like I was in real danger when I messed up my rotations.

After a several year break from GW2, I came back ealier this year and really wanted to like my Ele. I've been running fresh air Tempest, and the clunkiness of having to run around channeling overload air makes me feel like I can't dodge when I need to and I end up feeling very squishy. It's very possible I just don't get how to play Ele anymore, but I remember having such a good time on core d/d back in the day that it feels frustrating.

the power nerfs, nerfs to protection duration, and nerf to healing is preventing core d/d from being relevent. Imagine going through all your attunements, stacking 15 might and then landing a 4k fire grab while a holosmith can do that in 2 seconds by spamming grenade auto attack.

@Gibson.4036 said:I mained d/d Ele for the longest time when I played years ago. Loved the active playstyle, and only felt like I was in real danger when I messed up my rotations.

I agree. I can do well with tempest. It's a good spec. But the 4 second channels and doubled attunement cooldowns have always felt like a step in the wrong direction from my perspective. It sounds like you feel the same way. Have you tried weaver? I admit it felt really clunky and weird to me at first, but once I got the hang of it the fast attunement swaps and not having to commit fully to a single element are actually really nice perks and I have a hard time going back to core or tempest now.

I agree. I can do well with tempest. It's a good spec. But the 4 second channels and doubled attunement cooldowns have always felt like a step in the wrong direction from my perspective. It sounds like you feel the same way. Have you tried weaver? I admit it felt really clunky and weird to me at first, but once I got the hang of it the fast attunement swaps and not having to commit fully to a single element are actually really nice perks and I have a hard time going back to core or tempest now.

I'm going to have to try that. I have a character of each profession, and since getting the expansions ealier this year have done enough hero points to unlock one specialization on each one. Currently finishing up earning my skyscale, and the next step after that is to go back an try and unlock the other specialization on all of the characters I'm not enjoying.

One of the issues I have is that the different affinities are a little too specialized when they should all be a little bit hybridized in different ways. For example, water way overemphasizes healing when it should be split between water and air giving water a little more space for solo play and offensive builds, and some of air's control effects could be redistributed as well with Earth taking some. All four should be capable of doing respectable damage with various supplementary effects.

The second issue is that they really just don't have good enough damage mitigation or avoidance. Offensively, they aren't really substantially better than other classes and yet they are extremely gimpy defensively. They need stronger defensive traits and/or skills.

Only problem with D/D core right now is lack of reliable damage. Fire grab does the same damage as a grenade auto attack. Weaver takes advantage of having more damage options with dual attacks. They need to beef up offhand dagger in my opinion. Fire grab should be hitting harder than burning speed. Transmute frost should have triple the base heal. Updraft should be 30s base with how unreliable it is now. Earthquake knockdown should be 3 seconds so we can actually hit a churning earth.

• 2 weeks later...

Give D/F LightningRod Weaver a go in pvp mate

Good topic...

Having played the Ele on Ashura myself I want to chip into this discussion, as I have opinions of my own to contribute to GW2 community.....

I played Ashura race on Ele class I would say the race is too minified I can't enjoy the weapons, outfits properly and often have to zoom in to see in close action.

I am disappointed Ele class have no basic combo during combat. Shooting spells is fine but how about an alternative during close combat? I already know Elementalist can summon sword, axe, shield etc. And player have to go fetch the magical tool to use it.

The constant switching of elements, and limited life span of summoned weapon, means essentially everything is on time frame. My Ashura elementalist kept running away from enemies despite a supposedly array of tools and elements at disposal.

The ele class seem so complex it robbed the excitement of basic combat away for me on game play. Yes I subsequently decided to invest in another character class and deleted my Elementalist. Which is why I am writing my experience having played the Ele to level 28. I gave up on the Ele

My take on the topic is this class should have something to focus in. For instance, on a great barrier defense. I noticed the Ashuras did not utilitize bots as a pet on auto attack and it really is a miss. Ashuras should have bots on a auto attack so as the main can focus properly casting spells attack.

There is no need to have 4 different element keyblind switch, it just complicates the class robbing the fun out of the supposedly excitement in a basic combat.

So to summarise make it bigger, dwarf size is ok but not minis.. Give bot on auto attack. Say 4 different bots for switching, crawler, air, shooter, etc. Make its game play less complex. So many elements, but is it necessary. At close combat what do eles do. Why no combos. What can they do besides running away and waiting for next spell timer to clear. If they're the supposed powerful spellcasters, why keep avoiding enemies. Please grant them a strength. Perhaps a protector bot, etc.

@"medivh.4725" said:Good topic...

Having played the Ele on Ashura myself I want to chip into this discussion, as I have opinions of my own to contribute to GW2 community.....

I played Ashura race on Ele class I would say the race is too minified I can't enjoy the weapons, outfits properly and often have to zoom in to see in close action.

I am disappointed Ele class have no basic combo during combat. Shooting spells is fine but how about an alternative during close combat? I already know Elementalist can summon sword, axe, shield etc. And player have to go fetch the magical tool to use it.

The constant switching of elements, and limited life span of summoned weapon, means essentially everything is on time frame. My Ashura elementalist kept running away from enemies despite a supposedly array of tools and elements at his disposal.

The ele class seem so complex it robbed the excitement of basic combat away for me on game play. Yes I subsequently decided to invest in another character class and deleted my Elementalist. Which is why I am writing my experience having played the Ele to level 28. I gave up on the Ele

My take on the topic is this class should have something to focus in. For instance, on a great barrier defense. I noticed the Ashuras did not utilitize bots as a pet on auto attack and it really is a miss. Ashuras should have bots on a auto attack so as the main can focus properly casting spells attack.

There is no need to have 4 different element keyblind switch, it just complicates the class robbing the fun out of the supposedly excitement in a basic combat.

So to summarise make it bigger, dwarf size is ok but not minis.. Give bot on auto attack. Say 4 different bots for switching, crawler, air, shooter, etc. Make its game play less complex. So many elements, but is it necessary. At close combat what do eles do. Why no combos. What can they do besides running away and waiting for next spell timer to clear. If they're the supposed powerful spellcasters, why keep avoiding enemies. Please grant them a strength. Perhaps a protector bot, etc.

With respect, you made it to level 28 and it sounds like you did what many of us do as new players: Camping fire in staff and kiting around like a chicken with your head cut off while you wait on cooldowns. Then you gave up. Guess what? I did exactly the same thing when I was new! But do you think maybe you missed something?

You seem to want intricate combat (i.e. no waiting on cooldowns) at close range with less running around. I'm with you! Here's a video I recorded last night of what elementalist could be. It sounds maybe like what you want (no kiting, lots of combos, never waiting on cooldowns, always busy!), but I admit I am confused by your comments on bots and your desire to reduce the complexity of the class. That would appear to be in conflict with your frustration with waiting on skills, but I am unclear on that.

Maybe you should come back to elementalist when you're more comfortable with the gameplay and try dagger and/or one of the elite specs (It's what I did!). And don't give up so quickly! The fact is, this is a complex class. It takes some practice to learn and probably a lot of it to get really good with it!

1. their coolest utility skills, conjure weapons, feel clunky to use. couldn't their duration be increased to 60 seconds in pve ? everyone drops them in raids after 1 rotations so it wouldn't affect balance in any way. or make them like Engineering Kits, but with cooldowns ( having an channel time just to change your weapon skills feels the worst)
  2. water weapon skills are a mess. for example , water trident (scepter 3 skill) is not only useless, put on a dps main hand where ven water 1 and 2 do only damage, but it has the 20 seconds cooldown too. likewise, ice bow aa has higher hps than even water staff 1, but the rest of the skills only do dmg.

The strangest thing is that this problem could be solved so easily : remove base damage/healing from water heals and giving them high power/healing power scaling to fit both roles. so why hasn't that been done yet ?there is so much you can do with the concept of profession-that-shall-not-be-named, but in game sadly it just feels slow and clunky to use most times.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:With respect, you made it to level 28 and it sounds like you did what many of us do as new players: Camping fire in staff and kiting around like a chicken with your head cut off while you wait on cooldowns. Then you gave up. Guess what? I did exactly the same thing when I was new! But do you think maybe you missed something?Yes. With ele I knew I had to try it. And sadly it didn't work for me. And yes too that I always feel I could miss something. However Lvl28 is about the time and patience I could spare exploring one class. That said I am enjoying ranger, thief, and revenant with more melee action and attacking combos..

You seem to want intricate combat (i.e. no waiting on cooldowns) at close range with less running around. I'm with you! Here's a video I recorded last night of what elementalist could be. It sounds maybe like what you want (no kiting, lots of combos, never waiting on cooldowns, always busy!), but I admit I am confused by your comments on bots and your desire to reduce the complexity of the class. That would appear to be in conflict with your frustration with waiting on skills, but I am unclear on that.Bots or drone that attack like in one of the quest. Like how the ranger class have animals to do attack.

Ele seem to have too many abilities, I am confused as to when to use which. I just kept rotating them until I got fed up and quit the ele all together,.

The fact is, this is a complex class. It takes some practice to learnYes when i tried reading guess what the full tutorial on this class on youtube is more then an hour. I could almost fall asleep watching the full tutorial. So you cld just imagine. My take to make ele work and popular, take away the unnecessary complexity. Remember if it is game then it is suppose to be fun. Anet need bring in fun factor to ele. Try not burden the gamer with so many skills with seemingly no specialization. Too many element switching, I am not sure how that is fun

@medivh.4725 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:With respect, you made it to level 28 and it sounds like you did what many of us do as new players: Camping fire in staff and kiting around like a chicken with your head cut off while you wait on cooldowns. Then you gave up. Guess what? I did exactly the same thing when I was new! But do you think maybe you missed something?Yes. With ele I knew I had to try it. And sadly it didn't work for me. And yes too that I always feel I could miss something. However Lvl28 is about the time and patient I could spare exploring one class. That said I am enjoying ranger and thief with more melee action and attack combos..

You seem to want intricate combat (i.e. no waiting on cooldowns) at close range with less running around. I'm with you! Here's a video I recorded last night of what elementalist could be. It sounds maybe like what you want (no kiting, lots of combos, never waiting on cooldowns, always busy!), but I admit I am confused by your comments on bots and your desire to reduce the complexity of the class. That would appear to be in conflict with your frustration with waiting on skills, but I am unclear on that.Bots or drone that attack like in one of the quest. Like how the ranger class have animals to do attack.

Ele seem to have too many abilities, I am confused as to when to use which. I just kept rotating them until I got fed up and quit the ele all together,.

The fact is, this is a complex class. It takes some practice to learnYes when i tried reading guess what the full tutorial on this class on youtube is more then an hour. I could almost fall asleep watching the full tutorial. So you cld just imagine

Ahh, I see. Ele does have some pet skills in the glyphs that summon elementals. I believe you can summon up to 4 of them at a time and the earth elemental is supposedly a pretty legit tank? I don't know. Pets aren't my style.

As for the complexity, I'm afraid it is just how the class works. Learning so many skills and how to properly rotate between them is a challenge. Maybe you will be up to trying again later. That's how it was for me and I absolutely love the class these days!

i just feel ele trait lines are generally under tuned because they are afraid of a jack of all trades class becoming dominant, regardless of skill. Pyromancers Puissance is a perfect example of under tuned. but i feel that its all over pretty much every core trait line. I could be wrong and Im also not saying to over tune them, but i feel there are A LOT of lackluster traits or traits that barely miss the mark.

I am ele main.

Last night on reset I played rev in wvw. For the first time.

Good damage, lots of boons, good health, no problems with condis or heals.

Elementalist needs a massive buff. This is stupid. Rev can keep up weaver dmg, with negligible risk, without running glass AND shell out boons like there is no tomorrow, WTF? Anet WAKE UP.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I find frustrating about this class is that you are always forced to play as a Fire Mage, it has Elementalist in its name but you can't actually play a Earth, Ice/Water, or even Air Mage, just because the rest act more like crappy utility skills than anything and you will find yourself cycling back to Fire Attunement Always. I get that they have this mixed rotation you are forced to cycle through but it gets very irritating after awhile for me.

For me it would have been nice if they gave us an option to choose the elements we want to focus on like 1 or 2 elements and the F1 to F2 would be only be the element you chosen, the down side being you now longer have access to the other elements unless you respec or something but you can now weapon swap.

The funny thing is you can already play as a Fire mage if you go Guardian, Warrior Berserker(Melee), Mesmer or Necromancer, all have some form of fire condition or damage based trait or abilities. So in essence Eles Fire Attunement isn't really all that unique or special of a skill to be forced into playing it just because other other classes can also deal fire damage as well.

I really wanted to play as an Ice Mage but god damn is it disappointing.