raven inspired norn - what prof?

Lynx.9058

Been looking to make a raven spirit inspired/ themed norn female, using the feathered hairstyle and such. I'm torn on what profession would best fit that theme though.

Necromancer was my initial thought, given the shady/dark spirit nature of ravens/crows, and I prefer casters.

Was also looking at thief as an agile melee brawler, or ranger as an archer, but I don't think theres any bird/raven pets other than the moas.

Any suggestions?

@Lynx.9058 said:Was also looking at thief as an agile melee brawler, or ranger as an archer, but I don't think theres any bird/raven pets other than the moas.

Actually there is. There's Ravens (That you actually obtain from Raven's Shrine in Wayfarer Foothills), Owls, Eagles and Hawks.

Anyway as far as Raven inspired professions...

Mesmer, Necromancer and Elementalist all fit easily.

Thief also works well, as does Ranger.

Oh, didn't know about the bird pets, hadn't gotten there yet lol, still pretty new to the game.

That makes me rethink things, ranger/soulbeast could work pretty well and give me both melee and ranged options...

Doesnt one of their abilities also Swarm the target with a flock of birds?

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:You can play any class and RP a Raven based Norn, even warrior or guardian. Raven is all about wisdom, and that is class independent. Although anything that can wield Nevermore would probably be best for taking Fashion Wars in account with it as well, so... anything except engi and warrior in that case.

This. Though I wouldn't suggest legendaries purely for fashion (unless you want that). Every class can be worked to fit the various spirits of the wild/various races.

@Lynx.9058 said:Oh, didn't know about the bird pets, hadn't gotten there yet lol, still pretty new to the game.

That makes me rethink things, ranger/soulbeast could work pretty well and give me both melee and ranged options...

Doesnt one of their abilities also Swarm the target with a flock of birds?

Yes, rangers have a warhorn skill which summons a flock of birds to attack their target.

I originally made my Raven devotee a revenant, because I thought it would make sense that someone raised by Raven priests would be interested in the Mists and ways of drawing power from the spirits within, but I changed him to a necromancer because I want him to use Nevermore and I really don't enjoy the Revenant's staff skills. But when I made him I wasn't considering the full range of professions because I wanted to add to the ones I had rather than duplicating, so ranger, engineer, elementalist, thief, guardian and mesmer were already 'taken'.

I think, unless you're looking to make one of each profession, it's important to pick one you find fun. No matter how much I like the theme if I don't actually enjoy playing a character then I struggle to spend much time on them.

But in terms of theme I agree that any profession can work, but my top picks would be necromancer, revenant, ranger or thief.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:You can play any class and RP a Raven based Norn, even warrior or guardian. Raven is all about wisdom, and that is class independent. Although anything that can wield Nevermore would probably be best for taking Fashion Wars in account with it as well, so... anything except engi and warrior in that case.

You can, but it probably is reasonable to say that some combinations are more common than others. Raven devotees have a high tendency to be professions related to death or trickery, with necromancer probably being the most common profession for a Raven shaman from what I've seen (which is, admittedly, a fairly small sample size). But revenants (as many as there are among the norn, it still seems to be a pretty rare profession lorewise), mesmers, thieves, and rangers are probably reasonably commonly followers of Raven. Possibly engineers as well, since Raven is probably closer to a knowledge and invention spirit than any of the other three big ones. Warriors are probably underrepresented among Raven followers, though (although I'm sure they still exist).

@draxynnic.3719 said:

You can, but it probably is reasonable to say that some combinations are more common than others. Raven devotees have a high tendency to be professions related to death or trickery, with necromancer probably being the most common profession for a Raven shaman from what I've seen (which is, admittedly, a fairly small sample size). But revenants (as many as there are among the norn, it still seems to be a pretty rare profession lorewise), mesmers, thieves, and rangers are probably reasonably commonly followers of Raven. Possibly engineers as well, since Raven is probably closer to a knowledge and invention spirit than any of the other three big ones. Warriors are probably underrepresented among Raven followers, though (although I'm sure they still exist).

The comment about Engis and Warriors was more to if they wanted to wield Nevermore since those two classes do not currently have access to staff as a weapon. The Spirits of the Wild have something to offer every class, its just how do you perceive that class following the ways of that spirit. Raven is about wisdom and knowledge, and any class can RP that. One can say that Snow Leopard is as much about trickery as Raven is to be honest, that and being cunning.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

The comment about Engis and Warriors was more to if they wanted to wield Nevermore since those two classes do not currently have access to staff as a weapon. The Spirits of the Wild have something to offer every class, its just how do you perceive that class following the ways of that spirit. Raven is about wisdom and knowledge, and any class can RP that. One can say that Snow Leopard is as much about trickery as Raven is to be honest, that and being cunning.

She is - Snow Leopard is all about being sneaky. From memory, though, Raven does still have trickery in his domain. If I recall correctly, that norn mesmer in the cave in the northwest of Snowden Drifts is a Raven devotee, albeit one that you could probably say is a bit of a deviant.

I think it is reasonable to say, though, that norn warriors are probably significantly more likely to choose Bear or Wolf. Which isn't to say that you can't have an educated warrior that follows Raven... far from it. But they probably are less common, and observation of known Raven followers seems to reflect that.

I am inclined to say that when someone asks a question regarding what professions fit which theme (whether it's race or a specific theme within that race), it's not really all that useful to say "oh, they all do". While it certainly may be true that any profession can fit any theme, there are certainly cases where some combinations fit more than others, and some combinations seem to be more common than others when looking at the NPCs. So when someone is asking for guidance on this sort of thing, I think it is more useful to try to identify what the trends are... albeit with the proviso that there's nothing wrong with being the exception to the rule.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

She is - Snow Leopard is all about being sneaky. From memory, though, Raven does still have trickery in his domain. If I recall correctly, that norn mesmer in the cave in the northwest of Snowden Drifts is a Raven devotee, albeit one that you could probably say is a bit of a deviant.

I think it is reasonable to say, though, that norn warriors are probably
significantly
more likely to choose Bear or Wolf. Which isn't to say that you can't have an educated warrior that follows Raven... far from it. But they probably are less common, and observation of known Raven followers seems to reflect that.

I am inclined to say that when someone asks a question regarding what professions fit which theme (whether it's race or a specific theme within that race), it's not really all that useful to say "oh, they all do". While it certainly may be true that any profession
can
fit any theme, there are certainly cases where some combinations fit more than others, and some combinations seem to be more common than others when looking at the NPCs. So when someone is asking for guidance on this sort of thing, I think it is more useful to try to identify what the trends are... albeit with the proviso that there's nothing wrong with being the exception to the rule.

My stance is less about a generic "They all do" and more of a "You can make it work, don't feel limited." Like I remember somebody having a guardian whose starter choice was Grenth, or something like that and they were all wondering about how badly they goofed/etc.

A Raven warrior I'd say would still be common, but perhaps less so among Raven followers. Another thing is one can pick lesser spirits. I have (personally) a Minotaur revering warrior, and a Necromancer who reveres Shark.

Basically, if you really love warrior gameplay, and want your new Norn to be Raven based, you can make it work.

@Kalavier.1097 said:

significantly
more likely to choose Bear or Wolf. Which isn't to say that you can't have an educated warrior that follows Raven... far from it. But they probably are less common, and observation of known Raven followers seems to reflect that.

I am inclined to say that when someone asks a question regarding what professions fit which theme (whether it's race or a specific theme within that race), it's not really all that useful to say "oh, they all do". While it certainly may be true that any profession
can
fit any theme, there are certainly cases where some combinations fit more than others, and some combinations seem to be more common than others when looking at the NPCs. So when someone is asking for guidance on this sort of thing, I think it is more useful to try to identify what the trends are... albeit with the proviso that there's nothing wrong with being the exception to the rule.

My stance is less about a generic "They all do" and more of a "You can make it work, don't feel limited." Like I remember somebody having a guardian whose starter choice was Grenth, or something like that and they were all wondering about how badly they goofed/etc.

A Raven warrior I'd say would still be common, but perhaps less so among Raven followers. Another thing is one can pick lesser spirits. I have (personally) a Minotaur revering warrior, and a Necromancer who reveres Shark.

Basically, if you really love warrior gameplay, and want your new Norn to be Raven based, you can make it work.

Oh, yeah, it definitely works (and I can think of at least a couple of ways to justify a guardian of Grenth). But when someone asks a question of this nature, I feel like they're looking for a little more guidance.

Lesser spirits are... a bit of an interesting case. You can't choose to be blessed by one in character creation, but that choice doesn't really affect much more than a bit of dialogue here and there anyway. Nothing stopping anyone from theming after a lesser spirit.

@draxynnic.3719 said:Oh, yeah, it definitely works (and I can think of at least a couple of ways to justify a guardian of Grenth). But when someone asks a question of this nature, I feel like they're looking for a little more guidance.

Lesser spirits are... a bit of an interesting case. You can't choose to be blessed by one in character creation, but that choice doesn't really affect much more than a bit of dialogue here and there anyway. Nothing stopping anyone from theming after a lesser spirit.

My view on that area is, if you are picking for story related/home instance npcs pick X option or Y. If you are just making some personal(as in the player) story/background, there are more options to pick from.

@Andy.5981 said:Don't forget your mini Raven and Raven Mail carrier to go with everything else :)

Where can I get those? Didnt know about them.

@Kalavier.1097 said:

significantly

can

Yea, I just tend to play any story-based MMO's/RPG's with characters that make as much sense for the story as possible. I play a lot of my characters like I'm just doing a single player RPG, at least up to a point, and I try to avoid glaring de-syncs between what i'm playing and what the story says is happening =P

@Taril.8619 said:

@Lynx.9058 said:Was also looking at thief as an agile melee brawler, or ranger as an archer, but
I don't think theres any bird/raven pets other than the moas.

Actually there is. There's Ravens (That you actually obtain from Raven's Shrine in Wayfarer Foothills), Owls, Eagles and Hawks.

Anyway as far as Raven inspired professions...

Mesmer, Necromancer and Elementalist all fit easily.

Thief also works well, as does Ranger.

If you have Gw1 rewards unlocked too you can get a White Raven and have a Black and White Raven combo :)

@Lynx.9058 said:

@Andy.5981 said:Don't forget your mini Raven and Raven Mail carrier to go with everything else :)

Where can I get those? Didnt know about them.

significantly

can

Yea, I just tend to play any story-based MMO's/RPG's with characters that make as much sense for the story as possible. I play a lot of my characters like I'm just doing a single player RPG, at least up to a point, and I try to avoid glaring de-syncs between what i'm playing and what the story says is happening =P

Well there are a number of Ravens. Some are obtained via Festivals, the standard Black Raven was obtainable via a discontinued Avian pack or if you are lucky with the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock.

The page on the wiki can be found at

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Raven

The Raven Mail Carrier is available on the Black Lion Trader Company along with a Parrot Mail Carrier, there are usually lots for sale, though if you check your in-game email, I've sent them to you :)