Ridiculous latency spike issues

Your latency is about what mine normally is. My issue is that I can only currently participate in the World Boss event by leeching because my ping of 4000+ means that I have no skill activation whilst the fight ensues. I can't get credit for Taida because I can't get a hit on her and apparently just parking myself on her doesn't work the way it does for the others. lol

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@shugawuga.3215 said:And today they tell me: We suggest trying to connect to ArenaNet through a VPN like: www.pingzapper.com, www.wtfast.com, www.battleping.com, www.killping.comI put wtfast and the the same issue, lag problem´.

If the VPN does not take a different path to the servers, it won't make a difference. Try different routes.

Good luck.

@"Freebowjob.4879" said:lag is too horrible unbelivble...... i tought gw2 is Triple A mmo

The lag that I've been experiencing is also horrible...but only during the metas in the HoT maps, which is just about the only thing I like about this game.

ps...There is no such thing as a AAA mmo, and won't be for many years to come. The only possible way we'll ever see an honest-to-goodness AAA mmo is through modding.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Yeah, I logged on today into the pvp mist area. My normal average ping of 70 on NA was bumping around near 500 avg. I've waited around logging in and out for hours. It's not my ISP. The problem is not on my side. This lag is unplayable.

How do you know? What you said doesn’t prove that it couldn’t be your ISP.

Just saw someone post in one of the couple dozen threads that they had an issue that tracked to the AWS servers, they contacted Anet, and it got troubleshooted to be with their ISP.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Yeah, I logged on today into the pvp mist area. My normal average ping of 70 on NA was bumping around near 500 avg. I've waited around logging in and out for hours. It's not my ISP. The problem is not on my side. This lag is unplayable.

Just saw someone post in one of the couple dozen threads that they had an issue that tracked to the AWS servers, they contacted Anet, and it got troubleshooted to be with their ISP.

As if everyone's home in 2020 didn't have multiple wireless connected devices on, all of the time, that weren't lagging at all.

^ This works this way for years on end, nothing lags. Then suddenly at the very same time my Guild Wars 2 is getting 500 average ping, other players in Guild Wars 2 are also reporting that they are getting averages of 500 ping. And mysteriously enough, nothing else in my home that is connected to the wireless is lagging at all.

Now in theory, 1+1=2, but I guess we would need to examine quite a bit further to make sure that this equation was true.

I mean, I want to support the game and give the Arenanet team the benefit of a doubt as well, but come on now.

AWS latencyLocation is: AUus-east-1 US East (N. Virginia) 1172ms, us-west-1 US West (N. California) 297ms, ca-central-1 Canada (Central) 339ms

((40 MB/sec) - (12 MB/sec 2)) (12 hours * 3600 seconds/hour) = 691200 megabytes

Min 540ms, Av 670ms, Max 4209/ (0)

kinda puts paid to the "Its your isp" doesn't it Anet

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

As if everyone's home in 2020 didn't have multiple wireless connected devices on, all of the time, that weren't lagging at all.

^ This works this way for years on end, nothing lags. Then suddenly at the very same time my Guild Wars 2 is getting 500 average ping, other players in Guild Wars 2 are also reporting that they are getting averages of 500 ping. And mysteriously enough, nothing else in my home that is connected to the wireless is lagging at all.

Now in theory, 1+1=2, but I guess we would need to examine quite a bit further to make sure that this equation was true.

I mean, I want to support the game and give the Arenanet team the benefit of a doubt as well, but come on now.

Just because nothing else is lagging doesn’t mean that it’s not the ISP. The ISP is the one who routes your connection to the servers. Somewhere along that line could be having issues. There are also a lot more people using the internet which puts stress on the networks. This could exacerbate any issues.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Just because nothing else is lagging doesn’t mean that it’s not the ISP. The ISP is the one who routes your connection to the servers. Somewhere along that line could be having issues. There are also a lot more people using the internet which puts stress on the networks. This could exacerbate any issues.

How hard can it be to understand that if dozens of people from all over the world experience severe lags at the exact same time, on the exact same map, it CANNOT be a player side issue. This has been happening for months, even before covid, it ONLY affects GW2 and only a certain set of maps.How can you seriously believe that this isn't a problem on Anets side? I'm speechless to be honest.

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

How hard can it be to understand that if dozens of people from all over the world experience severe lags at the exact same time, on the exact same map, it CANNOT be a player side issue. This has been happening for months, even before covid, it ONLY affects GW2 and only a certain set of maps.How can you seriously believe that this isn't a problem on Anets side? I'm speechless to be honest.

I never said it was player side. You do realize that between the players and Anet is the ISP? How can it be the servers if it doesn’t affect everyone?

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

Well, for one, I had issues today. In-game ping was around 900ms. Tracert to google.com showed ping times of 11ms or so. However, running gw2.exe -diag showed some lag and packet loss at the Amazon servers. Then I ran it again and only got packet loss (100%) at 206.223.119.98 (www.equinix.com) and 100% at 50.222.79.13 (www.arin.net).

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

I never said it was player side. You do realize that between the players and Anet is the ISP? How can it be the servers if it doesn’t affect everyone?

How propable do you think it is that dozens of players from all over the world use the same ISP? Or that several ISPs lag at the exact same time?How do you explain that this issue only affects Gw2? How do you explain that this issue only really affects a specific set of maps? (Anything PoF and newer).This is obviously, without any doubt, a problem on Anets side. It cannot be an ISP issue or it wouldn't affect players from literally all over the world.

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

How propable do you think it is that dozens of players from all over the world use the same ISP? Or that several ISPs lag at the exact same time?

They all use the same infrastructure.

How do you explain that this issue only affects Gw2? How do you explain that this issue only really affects a specific set of maps? (Anything PoF and newer).

It doesn’t affect just GW2. If it’s just specific maps then it could very well be a PC issue. I’ve been on maps with people complaining about lag while I’m doing the exact same meta as them but experiencing no issues. Keep in mind that people have reported issues on older maps.

This is obviously, without any doubt, a problem on Anets side. It cannot be an ISP issue or it wouldn't affect players from literally all over the world.

Untrue.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

How propable do you think it is that dozens of players from all over the world use the same ISP? Or that several ISPs lag at the exact same time?

How do you explain that this issue only affects Gw2? How do you explain that this issue only really affects a specific set of maps? (Anything PoF and newer).

It doesn’t affect just GW2. If it’s just specific maps then it could very well be a PC issue. I’ve been on maps with people complaining about lag while I’m doing the exact same meta as them but experiencing no issues. Keep in mind that people have reported issues on older maps.

This is obviously, without any doubt, a problem on Anets side. It cannot be an ISP issue or it wouldn't affect players from literally all over the world.

Untrue.

I don't understand why you can't just accept that there may be an issue on Anets side. What benefit do you get from stubbornly denying any evidence that this issue isn't on the players/IPSs side.What harm would be done by Anet looking into this issue?You are actively harming ANet by suggesting that they can't do anything about this. There's nothing more likely to turn people off a game than bad performance.

The accuracy of Ockham’s razor wildly fluctuates depending on the knowledge of whomever decides to use it. People with no knowledge about networks, computer hardware, and etc will just assume it’s Anet’s fault. Those with such knowledge will assume it’s on the player’s end or with the ISP.

You are grasping at straws trying to defend Anet. Why are you doing this? You're not helping anyone, seriously.

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

Untrue.

I don't understand why you can't just accept that there may be an issue on Anets side. What benefit do you get from stubbornly denying any evidence that this issue isn't on the players/IPSs side.What harm would be done by Anet looking into this issue?You are actively harming ANet by suggesting that they can't do anything about this. There's nothing more likely to turn people off a game than bad performance.

Because that’s not how it works. Servers generally do not pick and choose who has issues and who doesn’t. If there’s a series of input lag issues caused by a server, it for the most part affects everyone connected to it. The fact that some players consistently do not experience any issues when on the exact same map instance doing the exact same meta means that it’s unlikely to be a server issue.

I have not once suggested that Anet shouldn’t look into it on there end. I’m pretty certain that they have been checking things on their end.

The accuracy of Ockham’s razor wildly fluctuates depending on the knowledge of whomever decides to use it. People with no knowledge about networks, computer hardware, and etc will just assume it’s Anet’s fault. Those with such knowledge will assume it’s on the player’s end or with the ISP.

You are grasping at straws trying to defend Anet. Why are you doing this? You're not helping anyone, seriously.

Not really grasping at straws. People with different knowledge levels about something will generally come to different conclusions on what is the simplistic explanation for a given issue. This happens quite often when the subject matter has levels of complexity.

Occam’s razor should not be applied blindly and especially when there’s evidence that the conclusion from it is false.

I’m also not purposely defending Anet. It just happens that my position aligns with that. I am allowed to think for myself.

EDIT 1:

Worth a read.

https://www.lifewire.com/lag-on-computer-networks-and-online-817370

EDIT 2:

There are numerous factors that can impact the performance of your game. This can be graphics lag (frames per second) and network lag (latency). Both of these are often conflated under the phrase "lag" although they're quite different.

Graphics lag is due to your PC being unable to produce enough frames per second to keep everything visually smooth. Your PC is running a game at settings it cannot handle under its current conditions. There are already numerous guides on how to resolve this but the key thing tends to be to reduce the character model limit down. I've always gotten at least 200-300% boost in FPS when doing this from having max models. Cleaning out the dust is also helpful as well.

I'll also want to point out something that I found in an article by NVIDIA. They stated: "Anytime graphics lag happens, you'll typically get a reduction in the responsiveness of your controls. Your actions take a fraction longer to be reflected in the graphics on-screen because it takes your system a bit more time to create each new frame of graphics and send it to your monitor." This is interesting because it seems that what people think is input lag, and then blame the server, could actually be graphics lag.

Now there's network lag. The network being within your PC and goes until it reaches the servers. There are a lot of possible sources of latency before you reach the servers.

Your PC itself can be the cause of network lag. This can be because you have too many applications running which then tie up system resource. You could also be running something that resource intensive too. If your CPU is getting tied up, it'll have difficulty managing network traffic. You may also have a failing, or outdated, network card.

Being on WiFi also affects your latency. You can often have low ping but get spikes because of this. Your WiFi connection is very susceptible to interference. Your router can also be a source as well. If you check the info on your router, you typical see that they're good for up to five devices. Some may be less; some more. If you have the option to, it's best to directly connect your PC to the router.

After this, your have your ISP's network. This is the network around your local area and through the backbone to where the servers are. The route that your connection takes is determined by your ISP and it is almost never direct. You can have numerous hops before you reach the server. Many companies actually pay the ISPs to create a more direct path for their users. There have been articles of Riot Games doing just this to reduce latency to their games such as League of Legends.

These networks can get overloaded with video taking up the highest bandwidth. An example of video would be Netflix. With everyone at home more, and many working from home as well, the ISP networks are under more stress than a year ago. ISPs have even gone as far as to throttle Netflix due to how much bandwidth it uses. Forbes did an article about this June of last year.

You can potentially see improvements with a VPN although they do add latency. Anet also seems to be having issues regarding VPN as older articles recommend using it and now some players are saying that support is recommending against it. There are some free ones and others are fairly cheap. It's worth a shot if your connection is pretty bad.

The last source can be the server themselves but that seems to be pretty rare. Generally if the server is an issue, it'll affect all players on it. There are numerous other online games, such as Rocket League, Lotro, and one other that I can't remember from last week, which have reports of server lag but it was determined to be the ISP. I believe in Rocket League's case, it was primarily due to just Comcast players.

As you can see, the issue is much more complex that just applying Occam's razor and blaming the servers.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Untrue.

Because that’s not how it works. Servers generally do not pick and choose who has issues and who doesn’t. If there’s a series of input lag issues caused by a server, it for the most part affects everyone connected to it. The fact that some players consistently do not experience any issues when on the exact same map instance doing the exact same meta means that it’s unlikely to be a server issue.

I have not once suggested that Anet shouldn’t look into it on there end. I’m pretty certain that they have been checking things on their end.

Not really grasping at straws. People with different knowledge levels about something will generally come to different conclusions on what is the simplistic explanation for a given issue. This happens quite often when the subject matter has levels of complexity.

Occam’s razor should not be applied blindly and especially when there’s evidence that the conclusion from it is false.

I’m also not purposely defending Anet. It just happens that my position aligns with that. I am allowed to think for myself.

EDIT 1:

Worth a read.

EDIT 2:

There are numerous factors that can impact the performance of your game. This can be graphics lag (frames per second) and network lag (latency). Both of these are often conflated under the phrase "lag" although they're quite different.

Graphics lag is due to your PC being unable to produce enough frames per second to keep everything visually smooth. Your PC is running a game at settings it cannot handle under its current conditions. There are already numerous guides on how to resolve this but the key thing tends to be to reduce the character model limit down. I've always gotten at least 200-300% boost in FPS when doing this from having max models. Cleaning out the dust is also helpful as well.

Not what I am talking about, and not what most other people are talking about.

I'll also want to point out something that I found in an article by NVIDIA. They stated: "Anytime graphics lag happens, you'll typically get a reduction in the responsiveness of your controls. Your actions take a fraction longer to be reflected in the graphics on-screen because it takes your system a bit more time to create each new frame of graphics and send it to your monitor." This is interesting because it seems that what people think is input lag, and then blame the server, could actually be graphics lag.

There is a very notable difference between input lag and output lag. Plus, I can see my ping skyrocketing through the roof (only gw2 ofc, I'm plotting my ping to various servers simultanously, every connection is stable - except gw2 on PoF maps).

Now there's network lag. The network being within your PC and goes until it reaches the servers. There are a lot of possible sources of latency before you reach the servers.

Your PC itself can be the cause of network lag. This can be because you have too many applications running which then tie up system resource. You could also be running something that resource intensive too. If your CPU is getting tied up, it'll have difficulty managing network traffic. You may also have a failing, or outdated, network card.

Was never a problem for me, besides, these issues are not affected at all by how many applications I'm running or the extend to which my hardware is stressed. Also, this would certainly cause issues for other games/applications.

Being on WiFi also affects your latency. You can often have low ping but get spikes because of this. Your WiFi connection is very susceptible to interference. Your router can also be a source as well. If you check the info on your router, you typical see that they're good for up to five devices. Some may be less; some more. If you have the option to, it's best to directly connect your PC to the router.

Not on Wi-Fi, home alone which nothing connected but my computer via cable.

After this, your have your ISP's network. This is the network around your local area and through the backbone to where the servers are. The route that your connection takes is determined by your ISP and it is almost never direct. You can have numerous hops before you reach the server. Many companies actually pay the ISPs to create a more direct path for their users. There have been articles of Riot Games doing just this to reduce latency to their games such as League of Legends.

These networks can get overloaded with video taking up the highest bandwidth. An example of video would be Netflix. With everyone at home more, and many working from home as well, the ISP networks are under more stress than a year ago. ISPs have even gone as far as to throttle Netflix due to how much bandwidth it uses. Forbes did an article about this June of last year.

While potentially true, how do you explain that other people with the same ISP living 2 houses away don't have any issue at all?

You can potentially see improvements with a VPN although they do add latency. Anet also seems to be having issues regarding VPN as older articles recommend using it and now some players are saying that support is recommending against it. There are some free ones and others are fairly cheap. It's worth a shot if your connection is pretty bad.

Tried, doesn't change a thing.

The last source can be the server themselves but that seems to be pretty rare. Generally if the server is an issue, it'll affect all players on it. There are numerous other online games, such as Rocket League, Lotro, and one other that I can't remember from last week, which have reports of server lag but it was determined to be the ISP. I believe in Rocket League's case, it was primarily due to just Comcast players.

And here is where, unless you are employed at Anet, you are likely wrong. It's in fact very possible for some of Anet servers to have issues, and these servers are responsible for certain maps and certain players in certain areas. I don't know how they assign players to maps and servers, neither do you. But what you are doing is not saying that potentially there might be issues on playerside, but completely ignoring everything that points towards it being on Anet's side and yes, for some reason defending them over and over. As said in another post, they've acknowledged the (latency-)lags. They should fix them, period.

As you can see, the issue is much more complex that just applying Occam's razor and blaming the servers.

Potentially yes. But since I can exclude pretty much everything on my side, there is only one logical explanation left, whether you like it or not: It's Anet. And quite frankly I'm surprised you think it might not be Anet, we've seen the past few weeks how many issues they have with log-in server problems etc., and, since they were able to fix it within a couple of days after officially acknowledging it, it doesn't seem to have been too complicated.Just by the sheer likeliness of things you would have to assume it's Anet. Thousands of players, same issues on the same specific maps under the same specific circumstances. None have other problems with their ISP or other games, none. How can you even remotely say it's not Anet. It baffles me. And as I think I said earlier, i don't really care if it's Anet's servers, Anet's ISP, or the ISP of the server provider. FIX IT!

@"DesiRe.1348" said:That is not true. Plenty people with much more knowledge than me, and likely you as well, have suspected issues on Anet's side. They even officially admitted to having latency related issues, which means there is a problem on their end, which means they should fix it.

In regards to Occam's razor, what I said is true. You can't just blindly apply it to everything. If you took a piece of our technology and went back 500 years, what result would be come to using Occam's razor? Would it be different if you did the same for people in the current year? The point that I was making was what may seem to be a simple cause to something may not be when you have more information about how something works.

Which they don't. No, VPN does not help, I tried.

It has for others.

And player sided issues generally do not effect only specific maps and specific games, especially if latency e.g. internet correlated. It's not lag in the low frames-sense that's causing problems, it's always the latency.

Actually, they can if the map puts too much stress on your system you can get input lag. It's not completely a network lag thing.

EDIT:

I'll start out by saying that everything that I had posted, that you quoted, was necessarily directed at you. Not all of it, for example graphical lag, could apply to you.

@"DesiRe.1348" said:

EDIT 2:

Not what I am talking about, and not what most other people are talking about.

Graphical lag may or may not be what you're talking about but I brought it up as people tend to conflate both network and graphical lag together as lag. Your PC can also cause input lag as well. I was covering my bases by including both.

There is a very notable difference between input lag and output lag. Plus, I can see my ping skyrocketing through the roof (only gw2 ofc, I'm plotting my ping to various servers simultanously, every connection is stable - except gw2 on PoF maps).

Yes, there is a difference between those two but that does dispute what I said. As far as your ping on only specific maps, this can still be due to how your ISP routes your connection. People have reported in games, such as Albion Online and Path of Exile, of having massive ping on some maps only for it to get resolved with a VPN. They've used a program such as pingplotter and saw an issue with their connection route down the line.

Was never a problem for me, besides, these issues are not affected at all by how many applications I'm running or the extend to which my hardware is stressed. Also, this would certainly cause issues for other games/applications.

GW2 is very un-optimized so other programs may not have the same impact on your system as it.

Not on Wi-Fi, home alone which nothing connected but my computer via cable.

But for others this may be an issue.

While potentially true, how do you explain that other people with the same ISP living 2 houses away don't have any issue at all?

Are they playing the same game? If they are, and they're not having in issues as you claim, how can you blame the servers? They'd be just like me who can be in the same map instance doing the exact same meta as those claiming lag but have no issues.

Tried, doesn't change a thing.

For others it has helped.

And here is where, unless you are employed at Anet, you are likely wrong. It's in fact very possible for
some
of Anet servers to have issues, and these servers are responsible for certain maps and certain players in certain areas. I don't know how they assign players to maps and servers, neither do you. But what you are doing is not saying that potentially there might be issues on playerside, but completely ignoring everything that points towards it being on Anet's side and yes, for some reason defending them over and over. As said in another post, they've acknowledged the (latency-)lags. They should fix them, period.

I did not flat out say that it wasn't the servers. I personally don't think it is but I did not reflect that in the part that you had quoted. I actually went through various forums for games to see people who had similar issues and if any of it turned out to be due to the servers. This is why I said that server issues "seem to be pretty rare". If you're referring to that stickied post they made a couple months ago, they acknowledged that players were experiencing latency issues but not that it was caused by the servers. There was a post from someone recently who was in contact with customer support who was helping them trace the issue and they were told that it was their ISP.

Potentially yes. But since I can exclude pretty much everything on my side, there is only one logical explanation left, whether you like it or not: It's Anet. And quite frankly I'm surprised you think it might not be Anet, we've seen the past few weeks how many issues they have with log-in server problems etc., and, since they were able to fix it within a couple of days after officially acknowledging it, it doesn't seem to have been too complicated.Just by the sheer likeliness of things you would
have
to assume it's Anet. Thousands of players, same issues on the same specific maps under the same specific circumstances. None have other problems with their ISP or other games, none. How can you even remotely say it's not Anet. It baffles me. And as I think I said earlier, i don't really care if it's Anet's servers, Anet's ISP, or the ISP of the server provider. FIX IT!

Issues with the log in servers doesn't necessarily mean that there are issues with latency. You may think that it's nothing on your side but it could very well still be.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Deepcuts.9740" said:Remember the 1st day Southsun Cove released? That beautiful frame by frame zerg....

Slide shows happen when your hardware can't handle the load of players. Skill and action delays due to latency is a totally different story, a server sided issue.

As I wrote that sentence, a voice in my head said: "Someone will most definitely correct you".Slide shows=everything freezes for everyone, then everything moves again. Skills not activating. Rinse and repeat.

@DesiRe.1348 said:I mean all of this doesn't really matter. It's pretty well known that these issues are on Anet's part, whether they officially admit to them or not. I know these issues are not on my end, yet these problems occurred recently (for many many players). I don't care whats the problem, they better fix these issues FAST, or many people will probably lose their motivation to play.

Ya I lost all motivation to play. Been trying to play the world bosses now what's happened is I disconnect completely when there are a lot around for the fight. Game doesn't work anymore don't have this issue with anything else. RdR2, Destiny 2, Division 2, GTA5 none of them do this I basically can't fight anything with a lot of people around. Used to play it every night i kinda gave up this past month :(

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Because that’s not how it works. Servers generally do not pick and choose who has issues and who doesn’t. If there’s a series of input lag issues caused by a server, it for the most part affects everyone connected to it. The fact that some players consistently do not experience any issues when on the exact same map instance doing the exact same meta means that it’s unlikely to be a server issue.

Are you sure that it's a fact players aren't experiencing any issues? Did you try a tracert or a ping plotter recently to compare it with one from last year? How exactly are you sure you aren't affected by server issues?

Currently experiencing massive ping spikes myself. I got a server connection error and my game auto-logged me off. Logging back in took a very long time and now my ping is around 2k. I was playing normally at around 250 ping (which is standard where I live) before this happened. Ping doesn't seem to be going down back to normal levels and there's no problem on my end since everything else is running fine.

EDIT: I completely closed the client and re-opened it as Administrator and my ping has stabilised to normal levels. However I don't know if that actually solved the latency issues or if the server is just now playing nice with me. I'm going to try it again after I get another spike and see what happens.