Guild Wars 2 latency Madness.

Sad but unfortunately, you can stand in line with hundreds of other gw2 players. I was doing fine for a couple years 250-310 RTT which is about right for Western Australia. Not great but playable. Now, I start at 540ms and it will spike constantly every few minutes to 1000-5000, wash and repeat. Does not matter which maps now as its all of them. Previously it was only wvw when population capacity was reached on the playing map. WvW can be near empty but lagg/RTT remains a constant. I had an old friend whom owns a game development company in Sydney (otherside of country that gets 100ms better ping normally), he and his staff did some speed and diagnostic tests. Conclusion: "AWS garbage infrastructure, seriously old DX engine, and the list goes on . Not upstream to AWS but excessive delays in the array and on return path. Suggestion: find another game"

Btw... I seriously doubt Anet is even worried about long-term brand damage as they show no sign thus far of even addressing this problem that so many players are enduring. And I dont mean simply fixing it, Anet will not even discuss the issue in forums or any where else.

@"Darkbeefy.5729" said:Btw... I seriously doubt Anet is even worried about long-term brand damage as they show no sign thus far of even addressing this problem that so many players are enduring. And I dont mean simply fixing it, Anet will not even discuss the issue in forums or any where else.

Such as this red post to let everyone know that they indeed are aware of it and are trying to figure out what's causing it?

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/111982/an-update-on-game-performance-issues#latest

Something like this is probably not easy to pinpoint in a massive codebase and could stem from a number of things, and more likely cumulatively over the course of several updates due to some code causing other stuff to lag, etc. And they're probably better debugging it in peace and quiet; they've got enough issues with ongoing circumstances of covid-situation and home offices and then trying to pinpoint this, if they're going to have discussions with us as well about it.

Let the programmers do their job.

Your comment is a fair one Don, I also have no doubts the current latency, skill lagg, freezes, dc's, error messages etc which have been a serious problem for the EU and a significant problem for those outside the US is complicated.. BUT, now we have the same problem within the US developing at an extraordinary pace and that folks -is not a backbone problem from non US mainland. I can also fully appreciate Anet would be investigating and attempting, given the worlds present set of problems, to addressing the concerns of so many. However, this is not a new problem for the community outside of the US, it has been escalating over a very long period of time, not simply a few weeks. Anet has not addressed the problem until it started affecting a significant amount of the player base in the US and given the amount of posts on this subject over at least several months by the base, it can only mean that players do not know whats happening and that is simply about progress communication by the developer.

Again: I would not disagree, however, its easy to sit on this side of the computer and raise such a suggestion (tbh, As an Aussie, I asked our NBN admin to check out if the problem lay with the backbone or upstream suppliers to AWS server. Conclusion was the same as the game developer.. junk service by AWS). That is not to say it is the only problem affecting latency and the other problems associated with it. My opinion is the same as the OZ government that used AWS here in OZ for contact tracing-wont be using again. However, I'm under no illusion that it may be one aspect of the lagg issue but there may well be a series of other factors. Finding the problems is first point of call, but how to fix it may well be time consuming, impossible or other. My concern is getting progress reports out to the base before everyone just gives up and looks to other games- pretty much what I am about to do myself actually

@Dondarrion.2748 said:

@"Darkbeefy.5729" said:Btw... I seriously doubt Anet is even worried about long-term brand damage as they show no sign thus far of even addressing this problem that so many players are enduring. And I dont mean simply fixing it, Anet will not even discuss the issue in forums or any where else.

Such as this red post to let everyone know that they indeed are aware of it and are trying to figure out what's causing it?

Something like this is probably not easy to pinpoint in a massive codebase and could stem from a number of things, and more likely cumulatively over the course of several updates due to some code causing other stuff to lag, etc. And they're probably better debugging it in peace and quiet; they've got enough issues with ongoing circumstances of covid-situation and home offices and then trying to pinpoint this, if they're going to have discussions with us as well about it.

How about the programmers communicate with us on their own forum instead of reddit, tbh.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

How about the programmers communicate with us on their own forum instead of reddit, tbh.

Is there a different post other than the one mentioned here on the forums?

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Hm, that link is to a red post (dev) here on the official forum. Nothing about reddit in what I said...