I use to play this game in 2015... and now, with this virus stuff going on, I thought it was a good ideia to try it back once again. But guess whats. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to download the game client for Mac. The download starts and get so slow, that shows it's going to take me 80 day to get it! LOL Does anyone knows how to fix this?

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Guild Wars 2, but the 64-bit macOS client is really a pain in the ass.

Performance is pretty poor, considering running this on an almost maxed-out MacBook Pro 2018 using an Vega 64 eGPU.And what's really strange about it, is that even if you turn all the graphics down to the very minimum, the performance gain is so very little, that you can just keep a rather high setting (then at least it looks kinda good).

With the latest Catalina 10.15.4 (supplemental update) things got even worse, as the client just crashes randomly.This is really really annoying as I'm right in the middle of a story quest line and have to like play the parts 3 times each, to get get one lucky shot, where the client does not crash.

Pleeeeeaaaaase ArenaNet invest some time and money and fix the macOS client.

I have a brand new Mac with gen10 i7, exactly the same config as in a Win machine I got.Windows: smooth at medium settingsMac: barely playable at ultra low settings.

I looked for the config file as they mentioned on the Internet for adding vRAM to the program, the file seems not even be there..

What's happening? Why does a lesser OS like Windows give tons of more frames compared to a better UNIX like OS?

Stange...

@FiveBugs.8503 said:I have a brand new Mac with gen10 i7, exactly the same config as in a Win machine I got.Windows: smooth at medium settingsMac: barely playable at ultra low settings.

I looked for the config file as they mentioned on the Internet for adding vRAM to the program, the file seems not even be there..

What's happening? Why does a lesser OS like Windows give tons of more frames compared to a better UNIX like OS?

Stange...

The game uses OpenGL on macOS which is the single biggest performance killer here. It is no secret that for some time OpenGL is in a bad state on macOS and unfortunately ANet opted to use that over the more advanced Metal API. Aside from this, the game is also better optimized on Windows.

Currently your alternatives are 2: Setup Bootcamp with Win10 just for the game or install a modern Linux distro (the latter might be a bit tricky).

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@FiveBugs.8503 said:I have a brand new Mac with gen10 i7, exactly the same config as in a Win machine I got.Windows: smooth at medium settingsMac: barely playable at ultra low settings.

Stange...

The game uses OpenGL on macOS which is the single biggest performance killer here. It is no secret that for some time OpenGL is in a bad state on macOS and unfortunately ANet opted to use that over the more advanced Metal API. Aside from this, the game is also better optimized on Windows.

Currently your alternatives are 2: Setup Bootcamp with Win10 just for the game or install a modern Linux distro (the latter might be a bit tricky).

I really tried everything... and for me* the native macOS 64-bit client is still the best solution (as hard as it sounds...)

1. Bootcamp using Windows 10: Doesn't really support eGPU, there are hack-arounds on the web, but I didn't get it working at all. And anyway all those hack-arounds seem pretty fragile (concerning OS updates, etc.).
  2. Parallels Desktop 15 using Windows 10: Despite advertising to be optimised for gaming, the performance is still worse compared to the native macOS client
  3. Wine: No macOS Catalina (64-bit) support yet
  4. CodeWeavers (commercial wine version?): Performance also worse compared to the native clientWhat else could we try? :-)Buying a Windows PC? ;-)

*MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports), i5 (2.3GHz), 16 GB RAM, Radeon Vega 64 8GB (inside Razor Core X eGPU housing)

For comparison: Playing Heroes of the Storm in 4K at pretty maxed out settings runs at around 100fps.Guild Wars 2 doesn't really care much about the settings, it always sucks in performance. At least using 1080p, and turning down shadows and/or reflections were really the only settings that very very slightly improved the performance. The FPS really are going up and down, but there is definitely visible stutter at around 5-15fps in cities or so, and I think I never really get more than 30-40fps (very very best case). Especially when entering a new zone (e.g. teleport) in the beginning it's so sluggish, and almost unplayable. -.-

Hi there!I'm a Macbook Pro user Early 2015, OS Mojave (10.14.6)I have been playing for a month more less with absolutely no problem. Since Yesterday (April 25) I play and suddenly the game freezes and the only way out I have is to manually restart my Mac. And it happens constantly. I tried Repairing the client, and it hasn't changed a thing.Can anyone help me?I even bought PoT yesterday and I would love to be able to do play.... this is absurd....Thank you very much! :)

• 2 weeks later...

@"lilins.7103" said:So ArenaNet is not even thinking of MoltenGL? it’s really annoying to need to reboot to Windows to have about more than 2x performance.

Apparently MoltenGL only translates OpenGL ES which is a bit different than the "desktop" OpenGL. I think I get your point, by using something similar, it might save ANet a lot of hassle from starting from scratch to switch to Metal. TBH I'd rather have them just to do the latter and be done once and for all with the low performance issue.

@Telnair.2158 said:So, any news from ANet regarding the Mac OS client performance issues on MBP 16?I wouldn't hold your breath. If they aren't switching from Dx9 on their main platform (Windows), they probably aren't updating from OpenGL.

I'd love to play under MacOS on my laptop because of how hot the thing gets under Windows, but we probably won't ever have a real choice unless you're okay with 30 FPS on subsampled graphics.

@papsu.6094 said:I had the same problem with Catalina 10.15.4. Game wouldn't start. It just bounced on the dock.

EDIT: From the terminal, forcing some cleaning seems to have fixed it.__ cd /Applications/Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOSrm CoherentUI_Hostcd ~/Library/Application\ Support/rm -rf Guild\ Wars\ 2 __

Try that and see if it works for you. Worked for me.

Hi. Wanted to say thanks to @papsu.6049

This worked for me.

I had just updated to Catalina 10.15.4 last night. Suddenly GW2 was just bouncing on the dock and doing nothing. I tried the repair, got a serious error crash and it wouldn't load.

I couldn't use your commands pasted into Terminal, but was able to find the Folder and COHERENTUI_HOST file for deletion.

After deleting, the client is running.

Big Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:The game uses OpenGL on macOS which is the single biggest performance killer here. It is no secret that for some time OpenGL is in a bad state on macOS and unfortunately ANet opted to use that over the more advanced Metal API. Aside from this, the game is also better optimized on Windows.

Any idea on why OpenGL is such a performance killer? Have seen multiple comparisons of DX to OpenGL with them being pretty similar in terms of their demand and performance.

• 2 weeks later...

On my version the first line became:

cd /Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS/

@Altrax.4069 said:

@papsu.6094 said:I had the same problem with Catalina 10.15.4. Game wouldn't start. It just bounced on the dock.

EDIT: From the terminal, forcing some cleaning seems to have fixed it.
__
cd /Applications/Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS
rm CoherentUI_Host
cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/
rm -rf Guild\ Wars\ 2
__

• 3 weeks later...

@Tseng.3761 said:

@PadmaPhala.1824 said:Are there any plans to support MacOS after the transition to ARM/Apple Silicon?

I hope to hear some good news from Anet regarding this question

For real, maybe they redo their entire mac client with the Metal API for the new expansion. Highly doubt its worth the time and money investment from them, but one can dream.

I do agree! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

@"Aoi.8570" said:I'm back to Guild Wars 2 after a break since last summer, and I don't know what changed, but I've never experienced such low FPS rate until now. I play on the LOWEST possible settings (everything LOW/turned off), even lowered resolution. 10 fps is the best I can get nowadays (while playing 2v2 arena...), even though 25-40fps was average before.

Macbook Pro - Retina, late 2013. (obviously I could blame it on computer, because it's not the newest model and "Mac(book)s are not for games!", but the computer itself coudn't get that much worse in 6 months).

Edit: Few hours later, tried every possible option to increase the performance, but the game is basically unplayable. Seriously, I've no idea what game devs have done lately, but I can't do anything: explore maps, do events, play 2v2 PvP. Moreover, game started to crash very often.

same here. trying it on my mbp 2019 (i7, 16gb ram, ssd, dedicated gpu) AND my monster hackintosh (10900k, 5700xt, 64gb ram, ssd, etc). horrible performance, totally unplayable!. wow on the other hand, 60fps on high (ultra on hackintosh) in crowded areas

such a shame, devs please implement metal or do something

Stange...

devs don't care about us, that's why

@Aran.9374 said:I can't get more than 7fps on my Mac with all settings on low. GW2 is no fun anymore and it sucks. No answers from Anet or Apple.

Apple have no control over lazy devs