Why do i have bad frame rates on a good machine?

@Jagblade.4627 said:The biggest hit to FPS lately seems to be the wings obtained from the latest Black Lion Chest. Granted the game is also only DirectX 9 and only uses a single core to my knowledge.

I disagree. I having been running Drizzlewood metas every day for weeks now and my personal experience is that the Skyscale is the main reason for the lag spikes. During the north meta run that leads to the Assault on Frost Citadel, I lagged like never before when everyone is on their Skyscales to rush to objectives. But the moment we are inside the Cidatel (no mounts allowed), the lag is totally gone regardless of the same number of players in there with the backpack wings.

@"Saintfanny.7419" said:Recently came back after Summit and Lazypeon had played it and it looked fun. When i came back my framerates are going from 144fps to 12fps. Is something ujp? I have a Ryzen 7 3700, 32g of ram and a radeon 5700xt so this should eat this game alive

Whats the matter

Hi,

DX9 is poorly optimised on Navi cards.

I have a Rx5700xt and use the d912pxy as a work-around. You can run GW2 in DirectX 12 instead.

Here's the guide (link below) Let me know how you go :) You will experience a big boost overall in FPS minimums and a smoother frametime overall.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/110553/want-to-use-directx-12-dx12-for-gw2-heres-a-guide-on-using-the-d912pxy-on-windows-10#latest

@"Nimbly.6084" said:What does "the engine is kitten" mean?

@Saintfanny.7419 said:Never mind, read up and saw that the engine is kitten. Ive uninstalled, take care

If you are wondering about the word 'kitten', it's a forum inappropriate-language filter replacement.If you are wondering about why the OP thinks the engine is less than stellar, I'd guess it was due to performance with his/her hardware set-up.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"Nimbly.6084" said:What does "the engine is kitten" mean?

@"Saintfanny.7419" said:Never mind, read up and saw that the engine is kitten. Ive uninstalled, take care

If you are wondering about the word 'kitten', it's a forum inappropriate-language filter replacement.If you are wondering about why the OP thinks the engine is less than stellar, I'd guess it was due to performance with his/her hardware set-up.

Fyi - you can use the word "you're" (contraction) instead of "You are". Just saying for informative purposes.

@Mack.3045 said:

@Saintfanny.7419 said:Recently came back after Summit and Lazypeon had played it and it looked fun. When i came back my framerates are going from 144fps to 12fps. Is something ujp? I have a Ryzen 7 3700, 32g of ram and a radeon 5700xt so this should eat this game alive

Whats the matter

Hi,

DX9 is poorly optimised on Navi cards.You should finally stop spreading this nonsense. The framedrops in GW2 with Navi cards have nothing to do with DX9 as an API. This is a game specific bug. Tons of DX9 games run fine with these cards.

@Jagblade.4627 said:The biggest hit to FPS lately seems to be the wings obtained from the latest Black Lion Chest. Granted the game is also only DirectX 9 and only uses a single core to my knowledge.

I doubt it only uses a single core these days. Wasn't it better optimized a few years ago?

I assembled a new system two weeks ago, and FPS still drop during mass events, but since the overall FPS is much higher, I am no longer having slide shows during those and can run the game on high settings. I have an I7 8-core @ 3.8 GHz and 32 GB of RAM, and it makes all the difference, while I am still using my old graphics card (GeForce GTX 760 with 4GB DDR5).

So it's definitely not a graphics card issue. Keep in mind that the RAM recommendation for GW2 on Steam states "24 GB":https://store.steampowered.com/app/1284210/Guild_Wars_2/

To my knowledge the bad performance has different reasons, usually pointing towards DX9. Using D912PXY gives a huge performance boost on lots of situations.Yes, GW2 had only utilized 1 core for most of the time but that changed a while ago and now it runs on all cores - but I would imagine, that DX9 doesnt handle multiple cores as efficient as DX12 does.In addition GW2 does not work very efficiently with its resources and could use optimization.We have to keep in mind, that the game doesn't use a commercial game engine like most games do but has its own thing going.

As stated before, D912PXY helps a lot but it only serves as a DX9 to DX12 proxy - it doesnt rewrite the game thus not working as good as the game would, if it had been designed to use DX12.

This is just information i gathered over the years and took as facts. They might be outdated or completly wrong so please correct me on any false statements.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Saintfanny.7419 said:Recently came back after Summit and Lazypeon had played it and it looked fun. When i came back my framerates are going from 144fps to 12fps. Is something ujp? I have a Ryzen 7 3700, 32g of ram and a radeon 5700xt so this should eat this game alive

Whats the matter

Hi,

DX9 is poorly optimised on Navi cards.You should finally stop spreading this nonsense. The framedrops in GW2 with Navi cards have nothing to do with DX9 as an API. This is a game specific bug. Tons of DX9 games run fine with these cards.

There's no question the GW2 engine leaves plenty to be desired, completely agree.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I spoke with AMDMatt who's an engineer on the AMD Forums and he openly admitted issues with Navi and DX9.

He explained this has to do with the lack of sufficient parallelism support in AMD's DX9 driver stack - Navi specific.

With any of my posts i tend to fact check first. I'm not interested in spreading kitten or wasting anyone's time, or leading them to a path to nowhere.....

@KrHome.1920 said:

Whats the matter

Hi,

Hey man. Framedrops in GW2 is the norm. With Navi there is poor optimisation of DX9 which just makes the issue even worse ! I'm running an RX5700 and there have been plenty of reports with issues around DX9 with these cards.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"Saintfanny.7419" said:Recently came back after Summit and Lazypeon had played it and it looked fun. When i came back my framerates are going from 144fps to 12fps. Is something ujp? I have a Ryzen 7 3700, 32g of ram and a radeon 5700xt so this should eat this game alive

Whats the matter

Hi,

Aren't you the same guy that said the d912pxy was "placebo bull kitten". Oh the irony of you telling someone to stop spreading nonsense.... I also have a rx5700 and have bad stutter in a number of dx9 games. I also have a older machine with a nvidia gtx980 and don't have the same performance issues with gw2 and other dx9 games I play with my 5700xt. Can you please contribute something meaningful rather than poo hooing people who own, use the cards and just might have more knoweldge than yourself on the subject matter. When I owned the Rx580 polaris I did not have the issues running gw2 in dx9 like I do with my rx 5700xt, bad stutter. You'll see options in nvidia drivers to force multithreading, this applies to dx9 games as well. Amd has failed to deliver a good dx9 experience with Navi! Thanks

• 1 month later...