Metabattle sPvP Build Ratings Question

JeetyWeety.2948

Metabattle just updated with the latest rankings, but I don't understand the relationship between the numerical rating and whether the build is meta.

For example, Spectral Onslought Necro has a rating of 4.5 and is listed as Meta. Retribution Shiro has a rating of 5.0 and is listed as Great (less than Meta). Is there no relationship between the numerical rating and how the build is classified? Is a Meta build just what the Metabattle site's owners see in the top sPvP league level?

The Meta is basically just the consensus of the what the community believes to be the most dominant builds. Sometimes these are very accurate, sometimes they are not.

The problem with metabattle, is that you can’t really create a build page as a contributor. Those that do are placed on inaccessible pages that aren’t really open to the public and have a sort of gatekeeping structure in place.

So you could have some streamer play a meme build in a tournament, and if other people are playing it, then the mods will create that build page on meta battle and label it as meta before it even hits the public review. This build might actually be dogshit, but who cares right?

As a theorycrafter, i often see that the builds on the site are fine...but poorly optimized...runes that make no sense...standard sigils when there are better options...conflicting trait selections...non optimized gear stats... and sometimes even bad utilities.

So ya...metabatte is a good place to know what most people are playing, but I would not use it as a metric of what’s “good.” It’s the players who play those builds in tournaments that are good...not the builds themselves

The difference between the 2 is ratings are a public account of build strength while the level of meta or great is selected by the pvp moderator of metabattle, whom mostly does it based off what’s play in mats etc.(though not always) . One thing to remember though is that anet has been doing a lot of balance changes which in a game like gw2 changes the meta greatly, which ratings are not deleted or changed unless the user or moderator wishes to delete them, so some build have ratings given from literally years ago that may no longer be relevant. Because of this it’s good to check out the most frequent ratings especially those of the moderator hanz and decide based off these- what build would be strong or fulfill your purpose for what build you want to select.

@"JusticeRetroHunter.7684" said:The problem with metabattle, is that you can’t really create a build page as a contributor. Those that do are placed on inaccessible pages that aren’t really open to the public and have a sort of gatekeeping structure in place.

You can actually! They still have the core mesmer build I added in "good" section.

@"Tayga.3192" said:You can actually! They still have the core mesmer build I added in "good" section.

Stop following me.

Also, no...not really. Core Shatter is such a primordial and highly understood build that it's obvious a mod would approve it...

It's like saying "Not true because they still have the D/P daredevil build i added." It's like sure...you can make a build that is actually very common and nothing new or interesting to meta-battle and it'll get approved after it's been moderated... but try and present a build like Boonmancer onto meta battle and it will forever remain in the dead space...because it's based on what Hanz and what other mods "think."