[UPDATED] Guild Wars 2 is Coming to Steam - [Merged]

• ArenaNet Staff

UPDATEDGuild Wars 2 Steam Release News

On today's anniversary livestream, we announced that Guild Wars 2 is coming to Steam in November. We look forward to welcoming even more players to Tyria to join our community!If you log in through Steam, you'll still play alongside your fellow Tyrians on the same maps and servers (select NA or EU). Whether you choose to log in through Steam or the Guild Wars 2 launcher, everyone plays together! However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.Stay up to date on the latest news by visiting our official Steam page and wishlisting Guild Wars 2.

Please implement a way to allow existing players to use ArenaNet log in on Steam like you can for the original Guild Wars! I'd definitely spend more on Guild Wars 2 if I could spend what's in my Steam Wallet, so that's a shame. Or at least add the ability to send gems between players so we have another way!

Also, this might cause some Steam players to accidentally lock themselves out of Hall of Monuments rewards from playing the original Guild Wars, wouldn't it? Or does playing the game through Steam create an ArenaNet account than can be linked with your Guild Wars account?

Although I'm sure ArenaNet doesn't want to lose ~30% of revenue from any existing players that would move to the Steam version, there is also revenue to be lost by not allowing existing players to pay how they want! Paying through Steam definitely opens up a lot of new payment options to players as well.

• Like 1

@maddoctor.2738 said:Hopefully the posts about Guild Wars 2 coming on Steam will stop now.Excellent idea to bring the game to Steam, hopefully we'll get many new players.

yes. all those people who kept predicting the doom of GW2 if it came to steam should stop now. i really appreciate Anet's move to bring GW2 to steam. i mean GW1 is on steam so why not GW2?

and of course, like SWTOR, i hope we get more players and hopefully in the long run it's a boon to Anet and the whole community

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Hopefully the posts about Guild Wars 2 coming on Steam will stop now.Excellent idea to bring the game to Steam, hopefully we'll get many new players.

yes. all those people who kept predicting the doom of GW2 if it came to steam should stop now. i really appreciate Anet's move to bring GW2 to steam. i mean GW1 is on steam so why not GW2?

and of course, like SWTOR, i hope we get more players and hopefully in the long run it's a boon to Anet and the whole community

Watch people use "low player numbers!!" on steamcharts as a metric for the death of the game, not understanding that would only include steam only accounts :P

@"Butterfly Kingdom.8349" said:

...However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.Stay up to date on the latest news by visiting our official Steam page and wishlisting Guild Wars 2.

So that means it's handled like with ESO, right? Does that mean if you want to add/play the game on Steam you need to buy it again and vice versa? If I remember correctly you had to buy ESO from the official page again if you want to play on the non Steam client.Some information on the matter would be appreciated.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Hopefully the posts about Guild Wars 2 coming on Steam will stop now.Excellent idea to bring the game to Steam, hopefully we'll get many new players.

Watch people use "low player numbers!!" on steamcharts as a metric for the death of the game, not understanding that would only include steam only accounts :P

tbh i get why they separated Steam and Non-Steam accounts.. they might've encountered issues making steam integration (wallet purchases for the most part) work if you convert the current accounts.

but i wish they'd reconsider and allow us to link (not convert) our original accounts to steam

and yeah steamcharts/steamdb will never know who's playing outside of steam :P

@Astrolicus.3716 said:Good news, but find a way to allow us to transfer our character to Steam. So we basically have to start from 0 once we play the Steam version? Some of us have 3, 5, or 8 years old accounts here.

yeah this, i hope they find a way or compromise to allow us to link/un-link our existing ArenaNet account and our Steam account... other games allow it (like PoE), so i hope ArenaNet finds a way to make it work.

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@Astrolicus.3716 said:Good news, but find a way to allow us to transfer our character to Steam. So we basically have to start from 0 once we play the Steam version? Some of us have 3, 5, or 8 years old accounts here.

yeah this, i hope they find a way or compromise to allow us to link/un-link our existing ArenaNet account and our Steam account... other games allow it (like PoE), so i hope ArenaNet finds a way to make it work.

Even Destiny 2 allows it via cross-save, Bungie allowed us link our console account to Steam and transfer our characters