New Expansion Teaser – Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons - [Merged]

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"Evil Seabass.5214" said:The logo for this expansion is a dragon in the waves...guess we'll end up killing Jormag and Primordus during the living world, then face of against the water dragon in the expansion. My guess is this trailer was Aurene talking with Kuunavang, discussing the end of the last dragon.

It implies that, but we've barely touched on Primordus and only just got started with Jormag. I hope the end of the dragons - title aside - is nowhere near in sight. We are still 3 to go and that's a lot of potential for them to avoid rushing through

Well, "Long live the Lich", despite the name, was actually about Joko kicking the bucket for good, so i suppose there is a chance that the story in the new expansion also doesn't lives up to its name. At least i hope so. I would be very disappointed if they have us defeat all three remaining evil (?) Elder Dragons in one go. Zhaitan had almost the whole personal story centered around him. Mordremoth had Living World Season 2 and Heart of Thorns. Kralkatorrik appears in Path of Fire and was the main enemy of living World Season 4..... Jormag is the main villain of the current Icebrood Saga. Primordus and the Deep Sea Dragon also deserve their own sagas, imo.

@Sir Alric.5078 said:

@"Evil Seabass.5214" said:The logo for this expansion is a dragon in the waves...guess we'll end up killing Jormag and Primordus during the living world, then face of against the water dragon in the expansion. My guess is this trailer was Aurene talking with Kuunavang, discussing the end of the last dragon.

It implies that, but we've barely touched on Primordus and only just got started with Jormag. I hope the end of the dragons - title aside - is nowhere near in sight. We are still 3 to go and that's a lot of potential for them to avoid rushing through

Well, "Long live the Lich", despite the name, was actually about Joko kicking the bucket for good, so i suppose there is a chance that the story in the new expansion also doesn't lives up to its name. At least i hope so. I would be very disappointed if they have us defeat all three remaining evil (?) Elder Dragons in one go. Zhaitan had almost the whole personal story centered around him. Mordremoth had Living World Season 2 and Heart of Thorns. Kralkatorrik appears in Path of Fire and was the main enemy of living World Season 4..... Jormag is the main villain of the current Icebrood Saga. Primordus and the Deep Sea Dragon also deserve their own sagas, imo.

Fully agree. Years of Elder Dragon stuff hopefully still ahead - I'd love to re-explore the Depths again, see more Asuran ruins. And with the darker tone of Jormag's story so far, I want to see plenty more of that and a large sweeping Shiverpeaks area to be fully explored. Whatever they do with EoD, I hope it also refocuses on feeling like Guild Wars again and not The Aurene Story. Apart from the huge amount of ED stuff still left to really get into, Cantha has a lot of non-ED lore to really delve deeply into.

@Randulf.7614 said:

Fully agree. Years of Elder Dragon stuff hopefully still ahead - I'd love to re-explore the Depths again, see more Asuran ruins. And with the darker tone of Jormag's story so far, I want to see plenty more of that and a large sweeping Shiverpeaks area to be fully explored. Whatever they do with EoD, I hope it also refocuses on feeling like Guild Wars again and not The Aurene Story. Apart from the huge amount of ED stuff still left to really get into, Cantha has a lot of non-ED lore to really delve deeply into.

If you look at the tag at the end of the video, it says "The cycle is reborn." Which suggests a reset more than an end.

@Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

@Forbidden Virtue.1089 said:Does this mean after this expantion it's over? That the story is done?

No, this does not mean the end of the story. I'm not going to give you spoilers, but all of our Living World seasons have been building toward this. We've been working on this for a long time. In the meantime, we’re having lots of fun reading all your ideas about where the story is heading. Speculate away!

Thank you for clarifying this out <3

There will almost certainly be a LWS6 after the initial release of the expansion, and possibly a LWS7. If the expansion is successful enough (i.e. it and the following releases generate enough money), there will continue to be new releases (and therefore story content) in the future.

If not enough money is generated, the end of LWS6 or LWS7 will probably mark (or herald) the end of the story, unless much smaller expansions/stories/releases are planned.

@Rubi Bayer.8493 said:No, this does not mean the end of the story. I'm not going to give you spoilers, but all of our Living World seasons have been building toward this. We've been working on this for a long time. In the meantime, we’re having lots of fun reading all your ideas about where the story is heading. Speculate away!

Just so we all know the amount of work goes into it and a curiosity side to it, when did you guys start working on this expansion?

They clearly said 2021, but did they clarify further? I read a claim that they said "end of 2021". Obviously a year is 12 months long, and delivery in January is very different than delivery in December (and June for that matter). I could get hyped for January 2021 delivery (only 4 - 5 months away) but not for September or later (12+ months away). Clearly, it should be delivered when it is finished, and not rushed, but I want to know if they clarified the timing beyond "Cantha confirmed. End of Dragons. 2021".

I'm not sure if anyone said this already. But Kunnavang is speaking to someone, and the person she addresses is Kunai Osso. Son of the legendary hero Tokai Osso. Who according to the gw1 wiki set out on a pilgrimage to the crystal desert and was never heard from again. https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kunai_Ossa

But we only hear two women speaking, Kunnavang and I am assuming Aurene. And Kunai Osso was male. Interesting to see how the stories intertwine. Perhaps Kunai became immortal, or joined a race of immortals?

@"Adzekul.3104" said:They clearly said 2021, but did they clarify further? I read a claim that they said "end of 2021". Obviously a year is 12 months long, and delivery in January is very different than delivery in December (and June for that matter). I could get hyped for January 2021 delivery (only 4 - 5 months away) but not for September or later (12+ months away). Clearly, it should be delivered when it is finished, and not rushed, but I want to know if they clarified the timing beyond "Cantha confirmed. End of Dragons. 2021".

I was listening very carefully to Rubi at the end when she talked about it. She definitely said "end of 2021." Once they have the stream on YouTube it should be easily found since it's in the last few minutes, between showing the trailer and closing the stream.

Correction! (See next posted comment) -- she said "End of Dragons, 2021."

I'm so extremely hyped. The mysterious deep sea dragon is going to show it's face, and this expansion might be the absolute most extreme we've ever seen so far. It has already been confirmed in the story that we simply cannot kill Jormag without giving primordus an extreme amount of power. Jormag and Primordus balance each other, and for this reason we cant just kill Jormag like we killed Kralk, Zaithan or Mordremoth. We saw the Jade Sea in the trailer, and that in combination with the art of the deep sea dragon is very very exciting. What is going to happen? Is the Jade Sea going to be turned back into actual sea? Is the Deep Sea dragon made out of jade? When is Primordus going to wake? and who is the new flying dragon, surely it's not the deep sea dragon? Here's what I think. I think that in the upcoming expansion, the old generation of dragons is going to be wiped completely. That means Jormag, Primordus AND the deep sea dragon all dead. Then a new generation of dragons will be replacing them, and Aurene will be part of the new generation together with other dragons that dont want to eat us. I am a little bit unsure how they're going to turn the Icebrood Saga into the new expansion, surely we are not going to kill Jormag, since we literally cant without getting a primordus on steroids. we are going to see a lot of underwater combat perhaps, and maybe spears and tridents will be introduced as weapons for on land. It's really not a coincidence that we can now ride skimmers underwater.

I have waited SO LONG for Guild Wars to come to Steam, and honestly I had no hope at all. This is such good news. Also, the art in the new trailer is absolutely stunning and I'm very very excited for the new release.

@Randulf.7614 said:It implies that, but we've barely touched on Primordus and only just got started with Jormag. I hope the end of the dragons - title aside - is nowhere near in sight. We are still 3 to go and that's a lot of potential for them to avoid rushing throughWith the way things are going Jormag will be dead by the end of Icebrood Saga, leaving us with only two dragons.

@Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

@Forbidden Virtue.1089 said:Does this mean after this expantion it's over? That the story is done?

No, this does not mean the end of the story. I'm not going to give you spoilers, but all of our Living World seasons have been building toward this. We've been working on this for a long time. In the meantime, we’re having lots of fun reading all your ideas about where the story is heading. Speculate away!

Whatever you come up with. I'm really glad you didn't forget about Kuunavang! :+1: I'm Excited!

The wonderfully mysterious Kuunavang is back. Ah, how I have missed her wisdom.

This raises more questions around the current dragon dominance though, specifically Primordus. He has been my favourite Elder Dragon for years. I even named a character after him in another MMORPG. I would love for Primordus to get a dedicated saga, but not one where we destroy him.

So many questions about where they could go. Excited to see what WoodenPotatoes has to say.

@Fenella.2634 said:

@"Luthan.5236" said:Nice. Cantha confirmed. And Kuunavang. (I wonder if he counts is a elder dragon - or something similar. Scion of some other elder dragon.)According to lore from before release, Kuunavang was supposed to be similar to Glint, not to Elder Dragons. But a lot has happened, who knows who she has become by now :)Elder Dragons were originally supposed to be completely separate from "normal" dragons like Glint, Kuunavang and Rotscale, but it seems to have been retconned, at least with Glint anyway. Rotscale and the fact that at some point there was a whole draconic race in Tyria, apparently, so far have been swept under the carpet. So, i wouldn't be so sure Kuunavang's origins won't be subject to some last moment surprising changes as well.