[UPDATED] Guild Wars 2 is Coming to Steam - [Merged]

@Danikat.8537 said:

@gurkoz.3284 said:Omg i was so excited about a Steam release and then 5 seconds later i realized this trash. Seriously. Look at SWTOR that just did the same transition. All to the BENEFIT of both developers and the players..

This effectively makes me want to play LESS since i want to play through Steam and i eventually have to start over..

Why would you want to play through steam? What's the difference?

I mean you're going to be launching the same game (probably with the same launcher) as you are now but by clicking on an icon on steam.

I don't get it either. I know Steam has it's own friends list so I guess it makes it a bit easier to add people you know in real life or from other games, but I don't see why it would be so important to some people to go through a 3rd party to launch the same game they've already got.

Yeah, ArenaNet may not have filled out the page fully yet but from looking at the Steam store page I don't think they plan on integrating with Steam's own systems (no mention of steam cards, achievements etc) so I doubt they'd even tie into the Steam friends list.

ArenaNet's purpose with this is doubtlessly to get the game in front of new players on Steam. Why they'd tell us existing, established players to wishlist it on Steam is beyond me. I'm sure as heck not going to buy the game a second time and start again.

@"Xivos.9102" said:"you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account."But why? whats the point? I was thinking about going back into GW2 world, and maybe get some of my friends to play, but there is no reason for me to do that? I cant get steam achivements, cards, and play time.

You really think they will release steam achiv and trading cards?

@Widmo.3186 said:Cool move, but still...

@Butterfly Kingdom.8349 said:However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.Is there a limit of foolishness from ANet side? Cant you act like a normal company, like kakao games which moved to steam with BDO and allowed ppl to log-in through steam? No? I ask for too much?

AFAIK the limitation comes from Steam.

I believe it's something to do with how they handle Expansions as DLC which requires the base game in order to purchase. Meaning it would cause issues if someone who already had GW2 tried to purchase an expansion through Steam, as Steam would prompt them to re-purchase the base game (Or more accurately would propt purchase of HoT/PoF)

As well as them trying to authorize game keys for expansions (As they'd only be able to authorise the keys they have available, not the ones that are owned by the ANet store)

It's a similar thing for FFXIV, which also has this limitation on not being able to convert to and from Steam and non-Steam versions.

@keenedge.9675 said:Why are people so insistent on getting a Steam login for Gw2. One click is too easy ?

I know right... Meanwhile, basically everyone who's using the Steam version of FFXIV is asking for the opportunity to swap to non-Steam versions...

Due to the plethora of issues that Steam versions encounter, such as the always online requirement on Steam itself, the Steam launcher breaking preventing access to the game (Especially after implementing a requirement to launch from Steam, where you cannot bypass it by just using the .exe in the files), having a double layer of launchers as Steam implements its own launcher before sending you to the games own launcher, the need to purchase everything through Steam (So you don't benefit from new expansions going on sale as Steam doesn't put them on sale until much later)

All for the benefit of... Being able to use Steam Wallet to purchase MTX...

@Pifil.5193 said:

@gurkoz.3284 said:Omg i was so excited about a Steam release and then 5 seconds later i realized this trash. Seriously. Look at SWTOR that just did the same transition. All to the BENEFIT of both developers and the players..

This effectively makes me want to play LESS since i want to play through Steam and i eventually have to start over..

I mean you're going to be launching the same game (probably with the same launcher) as you are now but by clicking on an icon on steam.

I don't get it either. I know Steam has it's own friends list so I guess it makes it a bit easier to add people you know in real life or from other games, but I don't see why it would be so important to some people to go through a 3rd party to launch the same game they've already got.

Yeah, ArenaNet may not have filled out the page fully yet but from looking at the Steam store page I don't think they plan on integrating with Steam's own systems (no mention of steam cards, achievements etc) so I doubt they'd even tie into the Steam friends list.

ArenaNet's purpose with this is doubtlessly to get the game in front of new players on Steam. Why they'd tell us existing, established players to wishlist it on Steam is beyond me. I'm sure as heck not going to buy the game a second time and start again.

But the part I don't understand is why existing players would want to run the game through Steam. I very rarely use it but my understand is it's basically a 3rd party store/launcher for games, so it's an additional step to have to go through when you want to log in and an additional server which can go wrong (and seems to cause no end of trouble for Elder Scrolls Online players who have to use Steam).

What's the benefit for a player in logging in through Steam instead of the existing launcher? Why are so many people disappointed that they won't be able to do that, and even talking about starting over with a new account so that they can?

@Danikat.8537 said:

But the part I don't understand is why existing players would want to run the game through Steam. I very rarely use it but my understand is it's basically a 3rd party store/launcher for games, so it's an additional step to have to go through when you want to log in and an additional server which can go wrong (and seems to cause no end of trouble for Elder Scrolls Online players who have to use Steam).

What's the benefit for a player in logging in through Steam instead of the existing launcher? Why are so many people disappointed that they won't be able to do that, and even talking about starting over with a new account so that they can?

So one big draw for me would be having access to my steam wallet, things I sell on the steam marketplace turn into money on the wallet, if I could then use that money to buy gems in gw2 that's awesome! I.E. I play other games which earn cards, i sell cards from doing so (or even skins in some games) and use that money on GW2 gem shop items. That's a huge increase in ways to spend more money on GW2 this seems like it benefits both the player and ANet to me.

@Nahoa.1096 said:

So one big draw for me would be having access to my steam wallet, things I sell on the steam marketplace turn into money on the wallet, if I could then use that money to buy gems in gw2 that's awesome! I.E. I play other games which earn cards, i sell cards from doing so (or even skins in some games) and use that money on GW2 gem shop items. That's a huge increase in ways to spend more money on GW2 this seems like it benefits both the player and ANet to me.

also the possibility of having localised pricing tailored to your country's economy/standard of living.

the other benefit is more methods of payment, depending on account region/country you can have bank transfers, convenience store payments, local prepaid/stored value cards, steam wallet gift cards, paypal, debit/credit cards (non-international), other payment gateways (like WebMoney for steam japan).

the more players who can and are willing to support Arenanet, even if Valve gets a cut, is still profit for the game. some people grind away and get burnt out farming gold because they have no other way to buy/pay for gems. they can use third party key sellers in their local area if there are but those are risky and can get you banned.

if no one buys gems or if less and less people buy gems (given an increase in player population) eventually the gold > gem conversion will be affected negatively.

@keenedge.9675 said:Why are people so insistent on getting a Steam login for Gw2. One click is too easy ?

@"Danikat.8537" said:What's the benefit for a player in logging in through Steam instead of the existing launcher? Why are so many people disappointed that they won't be able to do that, and even talking about starting over with a new account so that they can?

Regional priceThe dlcs of this game are expensive in my countryMany games that came to steam made my life a lot easierMany prices became more affordable for me

I play this game since the betaI received as a gift the first expansion of the game for being expensive at the timeI made many ancient achievementsAnd I would like to be able to use my old account on steamBut if there is no way, at least I will be able to buy expansions at an affordable priceNow do you understand?Buying things in dollars for me is very complicatedEverything is super expensive during the conversionAnd some stores also sometimes sell at an absurd priceWith steam I will be able to buy the game at an acceptable discount

"Just because something is easy for you, it doesn't mean it will be easy for others."

Anyaway :) Thanks for putting the game on steam, it will make my life a lot easier

@Danikat.8537 said:

Lots of reasons, especially the community ones like creating arts, community sharing and integrations, screenshots, not to mention the obvious ones like possibly hours, friends lists etc. I mean, come on, there are obvius benefits of having it all in one place like Steam. Stop ignoring the obvious, thanks.

@Danikat.8537 said:

Because people got shit loads of money on Steam through stuff like CS:GO boxes and they would be willing to spend that on GW2, at least that's my reason.

Personally, I would buy the next expansion if I'm allowed to move to steam my old account. Please let me buy the expansion for my old account via steam, else Iit would be impossible for me to buy the game due to recent law that forbids buying USD or buying by paying USD dollars. I have all content in my old account and I will not start again, seriously there is no way I renounce to my 27k anet points account.

Fail to see the point in telling us since we won't be able to use our current credentials in Steam. I don't think no one will want to start over, especially those like me with 8 year-old characters. I believe it's a bit lazy from your part, ANet, not to implement a credential import tool, or to allow players to simply use their current credentials to log in with a Steam version . Heck, this was done with the original Guild Wars...

@Agua.1607 said:Personally, I would buy the next expansion if I'm allowed to move to steam my old account. Please let me buy the expansion for my old account via steam, else Iit would be impossible for me to buy the game due to recent law that forbids buying USD or buying by paying USD dollars. I have all content in my old account and I will not start again, seriously there is no way I renounce to my 27k anet points account.

What country have a law that bans useing another countrys currency?

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Hopefully the posts about Guild Wars 2 coming on Steam will stop now.Excellent idea to bring the game to Steam, hopefully we'll get many new players.

yes. all those people who kept predicting the doom of GW2 if it came to steam should stop now. i really appreciate Anet's move to bring GW2 to steam. i mean GW1 is on steam so why not GW2?

and of course, like SWTOR, i hope we get more players and hopefully in the long run it's a boon to Anet and the whole community

Watch people use "low player numbers!!" on steamcharts as a metric for the death of the game, not understanding that would only include steam only accounts :P

tbh i get why they separated Steam and Non-Steam accounts.. they might've encountered issues making steam integration (wallet purchases for the most part) work if you convert the current accounts.

but i wish they'd reconsider and allow us to link (not convert) our original accounts to steam

and yeah steamcharts/steamdb will never know who's playing outside of steam :P

The problem is, you could just do it like this.

Make the game F2P on Steam, then when you buy a DLC, it gives you a Code that you plug into your Anet account. Then you aren't locked into one launcher.

@"keenedge.9675" said:Why are people so insistent on getting a Steam login for Gw2. One click is too easy ?

I know right... Meanwhile, basically everyone who's using the Steam version of FFXIV is asking for the opportunity to swap to non-Steam versions...

Due to the plethora of issues that Steam versions encounter, such as the always online requirement on Steam itself, the Steam launcher breaking preventing access to the game (Especially after implementing a requirement to launch from Steam, where you cannot bypass it by just using the .exe in the files), having a double layer of launchers as Steam implements its own launcher before sending you to the games own launcher, the need to purchase everything through Steam (So you don't benefit from new expansions going on sale as Steam doesn't put them on sale until much later)

All for the benefit of... Being able to use Steam Wallet to purchase MTX...

Yeah, but SW:ToR literally just uses the client they have been using for AGES for Steam. On top of that they use a BETTER version of their launcher that doesn't have their "BitRaider" tech that allows the streaming crap to work (The ability to play the game before it is fully downloaded). That version of the launcher doesn't fail a billion times per day.

I know there might be contractual and business reasons why you want accounts/users to be ANet acquired vs Steam acquired and may want to restrict payment/wallet options depending on the user/account creation method. But could you still look into linking accounts to provide single sign on/friends list integration, and allow all clients to be account source agnostic while still maintaining payment separation?

Also you should double check your store listing data to make sure the developer and publisher id's are consistent between GW2 and the original Guild Wars listing on Steam...

If it's possible, I would suggest making a way for existing accounts to be able to play through the steam version of the GW2 game client also. Not necessarily making gem purchases available through steam, but at least allowing existing players to be able to play through it if they choose to. If it's not possible, a simple explanation might make it easier for existing players to understand, since most MMOs I have played on steam allow existing players to be able to play through the steam version of the game client also. The only MMO that I have played that doesn't allow this option on steam is FFXIV.