[UPDATED] Guild Wars 2 is Coming to Steam - [Merged]

@"Butterfly Kingdom.8349" said:On today's anniversary livestream, we announced that Guild Wars 2 is coming to Steam in November. We look forward to welcoming even more players to Tyria to join our community!If you log in through Steam, you'll still play alongside your fellow Tyrians on the same maps and servers (select NA or EU). Whether you choose to log in through Steam or the Guild Wars 2 launcher, everyone plays together! However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.Stay up to date on the latest news by visiting our official Steam page and wishlisting Guild Wars 2.

Hi, just to clarify. If we have an existing gw2 account with characters and we buy it all again on steam - can i still play with my existing characters on steam or is it a completely fresh account with none of my old characters. The statement you made was not entirely clear for me - sorry

@Shallz.7438 said:

@"Butterfly Kingdom.8349" said:On today's anniversary livestream, we announced that Guild Wars 2 is coming to Steam in November. We look forward to welcoming even more players to Tyria to join our community!If you log in through Steam, you'll still play alongside your fellow Tyrians on the same maps and servers (select NA or EU). Whether you choose to log in through Steam or the Guild Wars 2 launcher, everyone plays together! However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.Stay up to date on the latest news by visiting
and wishlisting Guild Wars 2.

Hi, just to clarify. If we have an existing gw2 account with characters and we buy it all again on steam - can i still play with my existing characters on steam or is it a completely fresh account with none of my old characters. The statement you made was not entirely clear for me - sorry

Completely new you have to start over.

@AlenaVolkova.8179 said:You should have listed it on Steam 8 years ago, I thought this game is new when I first played it in 2018, I absolutely HAD zero information about GW2's existence.

yeah

oh and just saying: you know what, GW2 going to steam and players not being able to convert non-steam to steam accounts wouldn't have been an issue if it was done waaay way earlier like back in 2013 or 2014 (GW2 2012 launch)

in FF14's case (since it's always brought up) for example, about it having totally separate steam and pc accounts (yeah you can't login if it's another account type nor can you purchase expansions, etc. steam to non-steam) it wasnt so bad in that case because they released it for steam about a year after the initial re-launch (realm reborn august 2013) > (steam launch february 2014)

in GW2's case it's an 8 year gap so starting over fresh, that's a lot of difference vs. a couple of months: character birthdays, lws1, seasonal/anniversary stuff that are unobtainable, 40k + + AP, legendaries (if you made any), etc. etc. --- that's just a lot to work for again with some being near/actually impossible to.

there is a reason why people who prefer steam's payment gateways are not happy about not being able to transfer over. for some of them, there's just so much work and time over the years to lose vs. being able to properly and reliably support (if they so choose to) ArenaNet by buying expansions/microtransactions with their local currency.

@"Butterfly Kingdom.8349" said:However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.

I can simply login through launcher, doesn't it? Or if i choose "play on steam" i lose my 8 years progres? I'm not happy about this. Can we pay with steam wallet?And maybe some steam cards with profile wallpapers, etc will be nice.

Make dreams come true.

Okay, I am very thankful for this as I am a huge fan of Steam, but does it really mean that I won't be able to transfer my existing account to Steam? Feels really weird that I couldn't do that, knowing that many MMO's like Elder Scrolls Online and Star Wars The Old Republic has a simple linking system.

@Taril.8619 said:I believe it's something to do with how they handle Expansions as DLC which requires the base game in order to purchase. Meaning it would cause issues if someone who already had GW2 tried to purchase an expansion through Steam, as Steam would prompt them to re-purchase the base game (Or more accurately would propt purchase of HoT/PoF)

As well as them trying to authorize game keys for expansions (As they'd only be able to authorise the keys they have available, not the ones that are owned by the ANet store)

It's a similar thing for FFXIV, which also has this limitation on not being able to convert to and from Steam and non-Steam versions.Look at Elite Dangerous. To play you should to register the Steam key on support page of Frontier Developer website.Easy way, and you can play as from Steam and from non-Steam.

There is one thing that worries me about the game releasing on Steam. Since it will be on November, I'm not sure if the Icebrood Saga will be over by then, but I hope it will as releasing to a brand new audience -mid season- is an absolutely terrible idea. Think like a TV network getting a new show and start airing from episode 10 of Season 3, it would only cause confusion. I know they can't start from scratch since S1 isn't available. I hope they planned this well and the Steam version will start with a brand new story.

I received this news with great happiness at the beginning, because for years my GW2 account is stopped, but without being able to play with it on steam it doesn't make any difference to me.

It is a pity that you cannot convert your non-steam account to steam, as this would motivate old players to return to the game, as there is a new expansion on the way.

I know I will have access to the expansion by downloading the client normally, but the point is not that, I don't understand why they prevent this and for me this is more of an obstacle because I like to keep everything in one place (Steam), so much so that my gw2 I open it for steam today, but it’s not official, which would be great if it were.

Without conversion of our existing accounts into a Steam account this news is irrelevant to us all here, because we can't do anything else since we can't convert existing account to Steam. Nobody wants to abandon their accounts worth years of playing just for few Steam perks.

We can only wish they should have done what Destiny 2 did when they went to Steam.

I sincerely hope this is just a VERY STUPID joke! I'm among thoose that always hoped for a GW2 Steam release so we can pay what we want from the game using out Steam wallets (i'm from Brazil, 1USD goes for 5.55BRL today, making purchases on usd almost impossible for us). And when you finally anounce the game's arrival on steam you lock your players outsite? Its far better you never release the game on steam than doing so this stupid and disrespectful way! I'm totally offended with this news! I do hope ArenaNet realises how stupid this is and create a migration option, at least, with extreme urgency!

If people want to convert their account, why not? Just be like certain other MMOs and charge for it. They'll probably make more money if the Steam version has its own downsides, like no gem exchange, a different currency / higher prices, etc.

@Giulianno.3107 said:Regional price

Note you'll still be paying the same prices, it'll just be displayed in your local currency. True regional pricing is something the developer has to specifically set.

Some level of Steam integration with non-Steam accounts would be nice, even if it is indirect. If a Steam GW2 player can't gift stuff via Steam to a non-Steam GW2 player, that could be a bit of a problem. How do I invite a friend to join GW2 via Steam, when they can't exchange Steam gifts with me or check my online status?

I honestly do not want to link my GW2 account to Steam, but I see the potential for a wall forming between the Steam and non-Steam GW2 community... and the non-Steam GW2 community getting the short end of the stick.