Elite Spec Ideas (reworked)

Mediahead.3542

Made some changes to some of my elite spec ideas. Let me know what you think

(SOME OF THESE ARE STILL WORKS-IN-PROGRESS, SO KEEP AN OPEN MIND WHEN RESPONDING)

1. Guardian/Avenger: dps-focused spec.Lore: Not wanting his skills to go to waste, a faction of Cantha's guardians, who came to be known as "Avengers," incorporated Shiro Tagachi's twin sword style into their fighting techniques, allowing them to strike at enemies even faster then beforeWeapon: Off-hand swordArmor: ShoulderProfession mechanic: Virtues become Furies*. a combination of Tempest's overload and warrior's adrenaline, Each fury can charge up overtime with each attack. Once charged they can release an AoE field that has different effects depending on the fury used. Furious Justice; damage/burning, Furious Resolve; healing/condi cleanse, and Furious Courage; stability/resistance. The major drawback is that they can only focus on one fury at a time so you need to keep that in mind during battleUtility skills: Rage. These skills can speed up the charging time of furies when used

2. Revenant/Savant: dps-focused (plus some condi) spec.Lore: Oola and Zinn were master and apprentice turned bitter rivals in the world of golemancy. Now revenants can channel both of their legends and talents as SavantsWeapon: Scepter, focus, or dagger**Armor: GlovesProfession mechanic: Channels the legends of golemancers, Oola and Zinn, doing so causes a classic golem to appear that never strays too far from your current location. Grants unique profession skills, Zinn's Enhancements to boost golem's stats and your own, and Oola's Necrosis to allow you and your golem to siphon health and convert boons into conditions. Utility skills: Legendary Savant skills. Unique only to savants, these allow the player to command your golem to use special attacks like rocket punch, missile barrage, etc. Elite skill causes golem to self-destruct, knocking back opponents and releasing poisonous gas and rendering utility skills useless until re-summoned with healing skill, similar to Ventari's tablet.

3. Warrior/Monk: Support-focused spec.Lore: Naming themselves after the monks of old, these warriors seek inner peace and balance, even in the heat of battleWeapon: Melee staffArmor: GlovesProfession Mechanic: Serenity. Similar to the Berserk mode of berserkers, it is a unique burst skill that alters existing burst skills to grant different boons to themselves and allies depending on which burst skill is usedUtility skills: Mantras.

4. Engineer/Apothecary or Aethermancer***:

4a. Apothecary: Condi-focused specLore: Apothecaries are masters of chemicals that have studied various elixirs and poisons over the years and uses this knowledge to enhance their fighting capabilitiesWeapon: TorchArmor: GlovesProfession mechanic: Douses player in volatile chemicals granting retaliation and causing various conditions to enemies when hit, after a few seconds the player ignites the chemicals causing an explosion that knocks back enemies and gives them burning damage. The drawback is that the player will also take damage from doing this so you must monitor your health when using thisUtility skill: Chemicals. similar to Thief's venom skills, these can add additional conditions and/or boons to your weapon skills or create aoe fields that can harm enemies and buff allies.Note: This could potentially bring back old traits such as Acidic Elixirs and Acid coating.

4b: Aethermancer: CC-focused specLore: By reverse engineering the technology from the Aetherblade pirates, Engineers are now able to channel aether magic through scientific means as AethermancersWeapon: Main-hand maceArmor: GlovesProfession mechanic: N/AUtility skills: Aether weapons. Summons weapons of pure aether energy to attack or defend, similar to guardian's spirit weapons

1. Elementalist/Spellslinger: Ranged/dps-focused specLore: Some elementalists are not able to wield magic like their brethren. Fortunately, the ones in Cantha found a workaround for that by focusing the elements into specially made ammunition, allowing them to cast spells through pistols at great distances by simply pulling the triggerWeapon: Dual pistolsArmor: HelmProfession mechanic: Attunements become ammunition. Spellslingers are able to attack without needing to be attuned to a specific element, and instead creates bullets that are based on one of the four elements. These bullets last for about 15 charges, but this can be increased to 20 through e-spec trait. they're able to switch to other ammo like before but if you do with while another set of ammo is active, you will lose the leftover charges and will have to wait until cooldown to use them againUtility skills: Tricks

2. Ranger/Warden: Dps/CC-focused specLore: Wardens were mysterious creatures that protected the Echovald Forests of Cantha. Now Rangers can learn their secrets and carry on their legacy of defending nature from those who would exploit itWeapon HammerArmor: Boots***Profession mechanic: Build energy during combat to use unique skill to temporarily transform into large tree monster.Utility skills: Punishments

3. Thief/Gangleader: DPS/support-focused specLore: Various gangs run rampant in the criminal underworld. As a gangleader, you will command your underlings to do your bidding while aiding them in battleWeapon: Main-hand/Dual mace(s)***Armor: GlovesProfession mechanic: N/AUtility skills: Minions. Summon gang members with unique abilities and effects, similar to Necromancer's minions

4. Mesmer/Shinobi: Stealth/condi-focused specLore: The mesmers of Cantha have incorporated the stealth abilities of ancient Assassins as well as their modern day descendants, the thieves, to become Shinobi.Weapon: Dual daggersArmor: GloveProfession Mechanic: N/AUtility skills: N/A

5. Necromancer/Seance: Support/ranged-focused specLore: Seances seek to bring peace to restless souls and protect them from otherworldly creatures that would harm them. They can also summon spirits to aid them in battleWeapon: Longbow/shortbow***Armor: GlovesProfession Mechanic: Replaces Death Shroud with Spirit Shroud. This grants unique skills that heals and buffs themselves and other players as well as do damage. #5 skill grants the user distortion for a few secondsUtility skills: Spirits. Similar to Ranger's spirits, seance's summon ghostly souls that cause effects depending on which ones where summoned. These skills can also be traited to grant distortion when activated

Name subject to changewould like to see a combination of two of these, even if it is unlikely that will happen.Either one could work

I like the idea of the apothecary for engineer thematically, an elite spec focused on chemicals is something that I would like to see the most.But there are some aspects about your apothecary I have to disagree with.

1. Weapon choice: Torch is probably the worst elite spec weapon you can come up with for engineer. With a condition focused elite spec, it is bound to happen that torch will deal alot of it's damage through burning, but engineer already has a condition offhand weapon with strong burning application: pistol. Torch also would provide just one possible weapon combination, because of core engineer's limited weapon pool, which is pistol/torch. Since we lack mainhand weapons to combine offhand weapons with, offhand weapons are in general a really poor choice for engineer as elite spec weapons. Better would be a mainhand weapon (axe, mace, dagger) or 2handed weapon, best outcome for us would be a single handed weapon that we get to dual wield. They gave warrior dual daggers, so they could also do that for engineer.
  2. Class mechanic: Spreading chemicals which are applying boons and conditions is a good idea, but retaliation as the main focus seems a bit lackluster. What engineer needs is a proper boon support spec to make engineer a viable support for high end PvE, so giving us access to more might sharing and either quickness or alacrity would be great. The ability to cause an explosion that burns nearby enemies at the cost of your own health sounds like just a slightly different version of holosmith's photonic blasting module, I would like to avoid something like this.

@"Headcase.4618" said:

1. Mesmer/Shinobi: Stealth/condi-focused specLore: The mesmers of Cantha have incorporated the stealth abilities of ancient Assassins as well as their modern day descendants, the thieves, to become Shinobi.Weapon: Dual daggersArmor: GloveProfession Mechanic: N/AUtility skills: N/A

As a mesmer player - that would be awful even if that goes well with lore. We already have condi "thiefy" spec with possible stealthy elements, it's mirage.What mesmer needs is proper healing or power spec. I'd love the healing minstrel with shortbow or dual dagger powerbuild.

@Kas.3509 said:

@"Headcase.4618" said:
  1. Mesmer/Shinobi: Stealth/condi-focused specLore: The mesmers of Cantha have incorporated the stealth abilities of ancient Assassins as well as their modern day descendants, the thieves, to become Shinobi.Weapon: Dual daggersArmor: GloveProfession Mechanic: N/AUtility skills: N/A

As a mesmer player - that would be awful even if that goes well with lore. We already have condi "thiefy" spec with possible stealthy elements, it's mirage.What mesmer needs is proper healing or power spec. I'd love the healing minstrel with shortbow or dual dagger powerbuild.

I think what mesmer actually needs is a bruiser spec.

Chronomancer is the intended support spec, mirage the damage spec. Mesmer currently doesn't have a bruiser spec ala scrapper/daredevil/spellbreaker that focuses on CC and tankiness.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Kas.3509 said:

@"Headcase.4618" said:

Chronomancer is the intended support spec, mirage the damage spec. Mesmer currently doesn't have a bruiser spec ala scrapper/daredevil/spellbreaker that focuses on CC and tankiness.

Cc/power dps maybe. Tankiness? Chrono - possibly not on purpose - is the tankiest character I have ever played.But boon support/tank =\= healerI'd love healer/power spec where you can choose which 1 you build for.

@Kas.3509 said:

@Kas.3509 said:

@"Headcase.4618" said:

Cc/power dps maybe. Tankiness? Chrono - possibly not on purpose - is the tankiest character I have ever played.But boon support/tank =\= healerI'd love healer/power spec where you can choose which 1 you build for.

I am not playing mesmer so often, so I might be mistaken here, but I kinda thought that chronomancer was an attempt of Anet to give mesmer something similar to a healing spec.

They have a trait that allows all wells to heals allies, on top of their general supportive qualities. One well heals allies and cleanses them by default, another grants aegis and endurance for additional dodges, then some also provide some of the strongest boons in the game with quickness and alacrity.

Then chronomancer also has traits which might allow additional healing, if you are actually going for it.Mesmer has a trait in inspiration that is healing allies around for every illusion you are creating. Shouldn't that have synergy with chronophantasma? Meaning that you can proc this healing twice for every phantasm you are summoning.

Which you can also do more frequently thanks to continuum split, which basically lets you double cast abilities.Looking at what chronomancer provides, I feel like Anet might have attempted to create a viable healing mesmer here, without resorting into just slapping tons of healing skills on the spec like they did with druid. Seems it didn't really work out, but I thought that this might have been the intention.

@Kodama.6453 said:I am not playing mesmer so often, so I might be mistaken here, but I kinda thought that chronomancer was an attempt of Anet to give mesmer something similar to a healing spec.

Not really. When released it was more CC+Boon oriented. Healing on Wells came later. Before that, it granted Alacrity. So did Healing on Illusion summoning. Continuum Split hardly is a pro-healing argument considering it somewhat works with any skill/ability.

That being said, yes, Chronomancer nowadays is slightly better at healing than it once was. But since most/all healing based options are both weak plus exclusive to the other supporting options (e.g. Boons or Aegies/Distortion), I'd never consider healing a noteworthy part of a support focussed Chronomancer. If you're looking at healing, you might be better off just using Mantras in the end.

Healing on Mesmer - not Chronomancer - could become a thing if Restorative Illusions was reworked to affect allies (the healing part, not the condition removal). Or if they unnerfed Healing Prism. But not sure if this is ever going to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

@Kodama.6453 said:I think what mesmer actually needs is a bruiser spec.

Chronomancer is the intended support spec, mirage the damage spec. Mesmer currently doesn't have a bruiser spec ala scrapper/ daredevil/ spellbreaker that focuses on CC and tankiness.

Cof cofActually, Chrono is the strongest tank in the game, since it was launched.And Chrono also have the best CC in the game.Isn't that fun?