So... if toilet paper exists how come we've never seen bathrooms in the gw universe?

Cynder.2509

I mean it's not just the toilet paper but also the fact that everyone in Tyria needs to bathe, shower, wash hands or wash themselves at some point. The closest I came across was the "showering" place in the Grove home instance.Also I've never seen anything answering my question in gw1.I'm just curious about that detail as I'm on a writing project and I want to depict the world of the game as real as possible.I know that many other rpg themed games like the TES series for example never had bathrooms too so it's an even greater mystery for me.I know this is all just fiction and perhaps a trivial interest but this has been something I've been asking myself a long time.Also in the gw books there was no mention of washing as far as I remember.I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Adventurer: Hey, which way to the outhouse?Citizen: We don't have outhouses. We have water closets.Adventurer: Like latrines?Citizen: Nope. They all flow into the same sewer system, and that all goes out to sea.Adventurer: That's more than I really needed to know.Citizen: Hey, you asked. Just don't ask me if anything lives down there.Adventurer: You've got a deal.

Elementalist dont need bathrooms. With earth or fire magic they leave no trace. They also can take a bath everywhere. They use their magic to shape a bathtube out of earth, fill it with water, heat it up with fire and for the bubbles... well... they will always pretend its air magic. ;)

@Raknar.4735 said:Adventurer: Hey, which way to the outhouse?Citizen: We don't have outhouses. We have water closets.Adventurer: Like latrines?Citizen: Nope. They all flow into the same sewer system, and that all goes out to sea.Adventurer: That's more than I really needed to know.Citizen: Hey, you asked. Just don't ask me if anything lives down there.Adventurer: You've got a deal.

Poor deep sea dragon.Or maybe I should say poop deep sea dragon.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@vier.1327 said:Thinking about it... There should be , at least, 3 different bathrooms. Can an asura ad a charr take a kitten in the same toilet? I think not...

I mean, if you have multiple seat covers on the toilet that get proportionally smaller for someone to sit on, and provide a step... then yeah, probably.

I imagine the charr would remove said seat cover then wait for the asura to fall in, honestly.

@vier.1327 said:Thinking about it... There should be , at least, 3 different bathrooms. Can an asura ad a charr take a kitten in the same toilet? I think not...Charr would just do #1 on a bush or dig the dirt for #2.Asura wastes are barely noticeable, you may even mistake it for a rabbit's.Sylvari can just pluck a leaf from their person to do the deed, if they even do the deeds.Norn don't poop. They just grow muscles, beards or both.

Keep in mind that even in modern times we only had outhouses until like the mid-20th century. There are times when societies had public bathrooms in the past, like the Romans, but for the most part people have just gone outside for thousands of years, or used a chamber pot inside when it wasn't viable to go out (bad weather, too dark, etc.) and disposed of it later.

That said bathrooms likely do exist in the more developed areas of Tyria (Divinity's Reach, Amnoon, Black Citadel, Rata Sum), but for example the Norn don't even have plumbing so they wouldn't have them, and the Humans don't have plumbing anywhere except for Divinity's Reach, Amnoon and Orr, which doesn't count since it was destroyed during the cataclysm.

It is specifically stated that airships have a bathroom, though its not accessible to players. Presumably all the major sea vessels like Lion's Arch galleons do as well, but again this isn't quite made apparent in game.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NobodyPoops

@borgs.6103 said:

@vier.1327 said:Thinking about it... There should be , at least, 3 different bathrooms. Can an asura ad a charr take a kitten in the same toilet? I think not...Charr would just do #1 on a bush or dig the dirt for #2.Asura wastes are barely noticeable, you may even mistake it for a rabbit's.Sylvari can just pluck a leaf from their person to do the deed, if they even do the deeds.Norn don't poop. They just grow muscles, beards or both.

This is a hilarious answer. Good job!

@"Hannelore.8153" said:Keep in mind that even in modern times we only had outhouses until like the mid-20th century. There are times when societies had public bathrooms in the past, like the Romans, but for the most part people have just gone outside for thousands of years, or used a chamber pot inside when it wasn't viable to go out (bad weather, too dark, etc.) and disposed of it later.

That said bathrooms likely do exist in the more developed areas of Tyria (Divinity's Reach, Amnoon, Black Citadel, Rata Sum), but for example the Norn don't even have plumbing so they wouldn't have them, and the Humans don't have plumbing anywhere except for Divinity's Reach, Amnoon and Orr, which doesn't count since it was destroyed during the cataclysm.

It is specifically stated that airships have a bathroom, though its not accessible to players. Presumably all the major sea vessels like Lion's Arch galleons do as well, but again this isn't quite made apparent in game.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NobodyPoops

The flush toilet was invented in 1596 but didn’t become widespread until 1851.

@Raknar.4735 said:Adventurer: Hey, which way to the outhouse?Citizen: We don't have outhouses. We have water closets.Adventurer: Like latrines?Citizen: Nope. They all flow into the same sewer system, and that all goes out to sea.Adventurer: That's more than I really needed to know.Citizen: Hey, you asked. Just don't ask me if anything lives down there.Adventurer: You've got a deal.

Yeah, I miss the old Lion's Arch.