Following the latest Canthan expansion trailer, how are you feeling?

As a non-GW1-player it for me a "Cantha what?" without understanding your hype. It's just another map somewhere. And this Kuvaang or what his name was, never heard of it (that wiki page doesn't give me real information). Thus I am looking just forward some new map, some new specializations that will be completely messing up all balancing done before, and some more possible AP, achievements and hopefully good things to do.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Dondarrion.2748 said:Time-wise you are correct, but I actually pay attention to the story line in games, and quite frankly, GW2 is not badly written. That's what I objected to, that you shrugged off story as important in MMOs and GW2's story in particular.I finished the core story recently and for me it was horrible, I had to force myself to finish it.It was so boring and had no interesting characters.

@Martnor.1746 said:

@Adah.8371 said:I hope we will get the RITUALIST class and not a new race such as Tengo or else.

I can only see Ritualist as an elite specialization for necromancer, not as its own profession.

I would see the ritualist as an elite spec for the Revenant rather than the necro. It seems more fitting to me. Necros are more about bringing the dead back to life whereas the revenants are about manipulating the spirits which sounds more like the ritualist of old from GW1

Ritualists and Necromancers both use Death magic, Revenants do not.Remember that Revenants, with the unfortunate exception of Renegade, do not summon actual dead people or their spirits, just the (apparently sentient) memories of the Mists.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Adah.8371" said:I hope we will get the RITUALIST class and not a new race such as Tengo or else.

I can only see Ritualist as an elite specialization for necromancer, not as its own profession.

I would see the ritualist as an elite spec for the Revenant rather than the necro. It seems more fitting to me. Necros are more about bringing the dead back to life whereas the revenants are about manipulating the spirits which sounds more like the ritualist of old from GW1

Ritualists and Necromancers both use Death magic, Revenants do not.Remember that Revenants, with the unfortunate exception of Renegade, do
not
summon actual dead people or their spirits, just the (apparently sentient) memories of the Mists.

I disagree. In the description of the ritualist in the GW1 wiki and the Revenant description from the GW2 wiki, they both "channel their power from the Mists". Per the Revenant's description in the GW2: "Revenants can channel the Mists to invoke the powers of certain legendary figures of the past". Merely invoking memories would imply only getting access to knowledge i.e. the way to use magic or battle tactics. But the way they actually access the power of legendary figures suggests that they are tapping into the figures' power/spirit to some extent. So while they are not bringing the whole spirit into the living world, they are connected and using the spirits.

Magic theory aside, in terms of appearance alone, both traditionally wear a blindfold. I do not think that this is merely coincidental and therefore believe that the revenant is the closest class we have to a ritualist in GW2.

I rewatched the teaser now multiple times and I'm kinda scared about Aurene since she's an Elder Dragon herself and if this would be truly the end of dragons that means we'd need to kill the dragon we raised and bonded with. also the "A new cycle is reborn" at the end might lead to new speculations if not to GW3.I still have this vivid dream of Cantha in GW2 in my mind and I hope it comes true. Kaneing City as an individual city like LA and the Echovald Forest as a zone inviting to adventure it in many ways we've never known before. I also see the Deep Sea Dragon vividly before my eyes.I really want to get more infos on this expansion. And if we get playable Tengu I'll definitely preorder the ultimate edition this time.

I have low expectations.GW2 core seems to be themed mini games and the occasional insane farming for some gated carrot on a stick.So expansion could be 10 new mini game types dotted around a map.And a new fireball throwing dragon sword that requires 250 gold, 250 monster eyes, 250 ectoplasm and 50 piece collection.That sounds about right. ?

As a long time Guild Wars fan and in particular Factions I am very excited to see that region of the world again. That being said, it's too far off for me to get hyped up over it. While the devs having being working on it for some time, we the players know next to nothing about the content of the expansion beyond its location and name. While I'd love to be in a financial situation where I can just say "Take my money!" and put down a pre-order for the super ultra deluxe collector's special signature platinum diamond version that includes a dual sided Southsun Lady Kasmeer and Lord Faren body pillow, I can't. So I will give two thumbs up to the team and wish them the best and pray they don't overwork themselves during crunch time, but I'll probably wait until the week of release to put money down on it.

@Shiyo.3578 said:Tell us about the new elite specs and content, Anet.

Story is irrelevant in a MMO and GW2's story has never been good.

Yep. Could not care less about story. I just want to know about the critters, and maybe the cities. People are talking underwater? Have not seen anything about it, but as much as I like the underwater... it has never been developed.

Cautiously optimistic.

But of course pre-ordering the Deluxe pack, whatever it is ha ha B)

Answer: Intrigued, but not on the hype train

Here's why. The game industry and its associated community hype trains are notorious for over-charging, over-hyping and under-delivering. gw2 is no exception. We've been through two expansions already, HoT and PoF. While they're both solid games in and of themselves, they weren't really all that groundbreaking. They didn't innovate much. Game functions such as guild halls, raids and mounts have already been done in other MMOs. There's really nothing new under the sun.

I think Cantha will be more of the same. Whatever new features ANet comes up with, I highly doubt the expansion will draw more people in beyond a few months. It's basically the same as before. Again...for those of you who played gw1 Factions, you're paying again to see Cantha. Again...nothing new under the sun, folks!

Personally, my honeymoon with MMOS is over. I just cannot get that excited for them anymore. I've basically moved on to other genres. MMOs are declining in general and will never reach the heights they had. I think they'll go back to being niche genres again.

@JTGuevara.9018 said:Answer: Intrigued, but not on the hype train

Here's why. The game industry and its associated community hype trains are notorious for over-charging, over-hyping and under-delivering. gw2 is no exception.

Agreed.

Personally, my honeymoon with MMOS is over. I just cannot get that excited for them anymore. I've basically moved on to other genres. MMOs are declining in general and will never reach the heights they had. I think they'll go back to being niche genres again.

I strongly disagree on this. If GW2 had more dev power and the spirit of the folks who gave us GW1, we'd have a much better product in our hands. I believe that good MMOs can still excite, not necessarily by innovation but simply by quality.

@Ashantara.8731 said:I strongly disagree on this. If GW2 had more dev power and the spirit of the folks who gave us GW1, we'd have a much better product in our hands. I believe that good MMOs can still excite, not necessarily by innovation but simply by quality.

I used to think this, but not anymore. MMOs are just done. People just aren't interested in them anymore, minus a hardcore niche. Not to mention, they're expensive to make and maintain. At the end of the day, MMOs even if they're of quality, no matter how you slice and dice it, they're just massive, never-ending time-sinks. There's also the fact that we have so many of them! WoW, ESO, FF14, BDO, Lineage, Blade & Soul. They're spreading the players thin.

gw1 was interesting. To me, I consider it a hybrid of an MMO/dungeon crawler. It's not really a bonafide MMO a-la Everquest and WoW. IIt was also made in another era, back when MMOs were viable. But yeah...I don't think even gw1 devs can boost it, the MMO business is just too shady as a whole and their communities at the end of the day will just cave in and support that model because of the extraordinary amount of hours played, even if they protest otherwise.

For me, they're just not my thing anymore. Yeah, Cantha will be nice for a bit, the scenery, the exploration...I might dabble in it for a couple of months but...meh...been there done that! My only other interest is wvw: what's going to happen to it? Depending on what's released, will there be a massive exodus, killing wvw for good? Or will there be new features to keep people playing?

@JTGuevara.9018 said:Answer: Intrigued, but not on the hype train

Here's why. The game industry and its associated community hype trains are notorious for over-charging, over-hyping and under-delivering. gw2 is no exception. We've been through two expansions already, HoT and PoF. While they're both solid games in and of themselves, they weren't really all that groundbreaking. They didn't innovate much. Game functions such as guild halls, raids and mounts have already been done in other MMOs. There's really nothing new under the sun.

I think Cantha will be more of the same. Whatever new features ANet comes up with, I highly doubt the expansion will draw more people in beyond a few months. It's basically the same as before. Again...for those of you who played gw1 Factions, you're paying again to see Cantha. Again...nothing new under the sun, folks!

i am not sure, there are so many mmos now, players are spread VERY thin between them allanother thing is definition, does WoT/WoWS count? if so, then theyre NOT in declineif they go back to niche, then its because the suits want it, astellia launched with decent hype and player count

[ x] I am not hyped and I am not excited about Cantha. Because I never played in Cantha in GW1.

I had pre-ordered HoT and also PoF and liked both of them and had a lot of fun with both expansions.

But I will not blindly pre-order EoD because of the (too low) quality and (too little) quantity of the Icebrood Saga. I will wait until there is more info about the expansion and I will then decide if I also pre-order EoD or wait until it is released (or wait until the public betas show more from the game).

@Astyrah.4015 said:

@Martnor.1746 said:Another teaser has come out to give us a glimpse of what may be on the horizon. What are your thoughts right now?

i want to see more. the teaser wasn't enough for me. it didn't tease me, it made me more curious. but yeah im pre-ordering it as soon as it's available

It teased you into being curious about it! ;)

@JTGuevara.9018 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:I strongly disagree on this. If GW2 had more dev power and the spirit of the folks who gave us GW1, we'd have a much better product in our hands. I believe that good MMOs can still excite, not necessarily by innovation but simply by quality.

I used to think this, but not anymore. MMOs are just done. People just aren't interested in them anymore, minus a hardcore niche. Not to mention, they're expensive to make and maintain. At the end of the day, MMOs even if they're of quality, no matter how you slice and dice it, they're just massive, never-ending time-sinks. There's also the fact that we have so many of them! WoW, ESO, FF14, BDO, Lineage, Blade & Soul. They're spreading the players thin.

gw1 was interesting. To me, I consider it a hybrid of an MMO/dungeon crawler. It's not really a bonafide MMO a-la Everquest and WoW. IIt was also made in another era, back when MMOs were viable. But yeah...I don't think even gw1 devs can boost it, the MMO business is just too shady as a whole and their communities at the end of the day will just cave in and support that model because of the extraordinary amount of hours played, even if they protest otherwise.

For me, they're just not my thing anymore. Yeah, Cantha will be nice for a bit, the scenery, the exploration...I might dabble in it for a couple of months but...meh...been there done that! My only other interest is wvw: what's going to happen to it? Depending on what's released, will there be a massive exodus, killing wvw for good? Or will there be new features to keep people playing?

I think you're jumping to the extreme here. Are MMOs not as popular now as they used to be? Yes. I will agree. I think nowadays, more gamers are interested in games they can just pick up and put down at anytime without feeling like they have missed out on an event, DLC, or in our case, a living story episode. To say that "MMOs are just done" and that they are only entertaining to a "hardcore niche" is a very pessimistic view.

Per MMO-population, the top 5 MMOs alone have over 8m active players. Granted, the criteria of the word "active" will greatly affect the result. The GW2 teaser for the third expac generated 318k views. Again, this does not mean that all those views were players. However, both of those give an idea of the number of people who are interested in MMOs. These numbers are not to be looked down on. They are good numbers. Will this decline in the future? Maybe. But as a genre/market, MMOs are still alive.

You briefly go on saying that they're "massive, never-ending time-sinks". I am not sure where you were going with this but what makes that a bad thing? Million of players have spent a lot of time (hundreds, thousands of hours) into their respective games. Why is that wrong? MMOs are by design for entertainment. These millions of players have been entertained in some way or another. Some may look back saying: "I have wasted my life grinding away for an item". I'd say you choose for yourself what was worthwhile to you. I don't regret the time I have spent in my games. Admittedly, I had bad times but mostly good.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Adah.8371" said:I hope we will get the RITUALIST class and not a new race such as Tengo or else.

Ritualists and Necromancers both use Death magic, Revenants do not.Remember that Revenants, with the unfortunate exception of Renegade, do
not
summon actual dead people or their spirits, just the (apparently sentient) memories of the Mists.

Ritualists are not using death magic.Death magic is basically a form of "flesh forging", it takes dead organic matter (muscles, bones, etc) and forms a minion out of it.Ritualist is using the mists, in which the souls of people land after dying, and control the spirits from there.

Revenants are also using mist magic, not death magic.

@Mahou.3924 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:Story is irrelevant in a MMO and GW2's story has never been good.

While mechanics are important, I just have to post a big LOL to this subjective comment. Both remarks.

How much of your game time is story compared to combat and metas/fracts/raids/pvp?

99%

Then you play 2 hours every 3 months I guess?