Please remove Light Adaption as a setting from the game and just design zones with proper lighting

So, I've come back to the game after a 5 year hiatus and I'm having a grand old time... when it's day-time in-game. But when it's night, or it's a dark zone... I can barely see anything.

Ember Bay's been the worst so far, since the environment itself is pretty dark and it's always night time. Please don't make me play with post processing on just so I can see what's ahead of me. It's ridiculous that proper environmental brightness and the ability to actually see your environment is a setting, isn't it?

Post-processing off folks, how was your experience in Ember Bay? How'd you get around this?

PP + light adaption on (I can see!)6ONAEo2.jpg

PP + light adaption off (where am I!?)D4OJAuG.jpg

• Like 2

This may come as a surprise to you, but monitors and lighting conditions can vary from setup to setup, producing a wide range of visibility.Having customization options like this is the only way to make that work. Have you tried tweaking your settings?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@"Trise.2865" said:This may come as a surprise to you, but monitors and lighting conditions can vary from setup to setup, producing a wide range of visibility.Having customization options like this is the only way to make that work. Have you tried tweaking your settings?

This is my monitor. Yes, the game is clearer at night when there's no ambient light. This shouldn't, however, be necessary, and no, I don't think this is the only way to make it work. The textures themselves can be set to have different (reasonable) brightness values instead of relying on fixing things in post.

I wish they would just do proper lighting in the real world. It can get so dark at night making it difficult to see properly.

Seriously though, maps having some form of darkness are great as it adds a bit more realism to the game. Nighttime on maps such as Queensdale are a joke. Sometimes you don't even notice it and I remember a common answer to people was to have them equip any of the weapons from AC.

You have an option to adjust the darkness to a level that meets your satisfaction. Don't take that option away from others.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I do wonder where the problem is, as I like others see everything needed in the second screenshot. Maybe your monitor is set up too dark? I wonder how it really looks on your monitor (and yes. my monitor shows black as black, like with the "post comment" button so I don't think it's set up too bright)

Light Adaptation is literally a simulation of how the Human eye works. Its why when you come in from a sunny day you can't see anything even in a fully lit room, because Human vision uses a dynamic range.

With Light Adaptation, the game uses the HDR lighting calculations to make sure the visuals are always bright, just as your eye adjusts from a lightbulb in a dark room to the sun which is tens of thousands of times more powerful during the daytime.

Its not because the devs are doing something wrong, just different light sources have different intensities.

• 2 years later...

What is this topic even, to take away an option from the game... 

I don't like those bright nights. Maybe someone saw the discussions in WoW a few years ago about how Blizzard made the nights far too bright in Cataclysm and how all people wanted dark nights back. 

In GW2 I already have the option to have atmospheric dark nights, more realism with this and more contrast to lights in the dark. It's more immersive in my case to turn the adaption off. Dark is dark then and I just can't see everything. And it's how it should be in dark rooms or caves or in the night. 

So please NO, don't remove the option. I very much appreciate all the options the game gives us, even though it lacks others, like split up post-processing options. 

• Sad 1