End of Dragons = End of GW2?

The future of the game depends on how good this expansion is, and how they can get new players and keep them interested in the game. All my friends that have tried the game for pvp reasons have ragequit. The mechanics are awesome but for new players its too much to get used to. The nonsense aoe spam and animation clutter makes it hard for them to know whats going on. Increasing the viability of core builds will encourage more people to play as far as pvp and wvw goes. For PvE

GW2 keeps a pretty steady population and saw its highest rise in people playing concurrently for 6 months when PoF released and then dipped heavily. This month saw a 2% increase in population, which is a good sign. Adding the game to steam could potentially increase it more.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Perisemiotics.4579" said:my theory: the Sea Dragon has already been dealt with by the peoples of Cantha

dealt with, very likely, but the same method as how the species of Tyria dealt with it? maybe not

especially with the line in the trailer "They built lives upon the very thing that sought to end theirs", this is a very good indication that the Deep Sea Dragon is still alive, and its where about is right under Kaineng City

here's my 2 cents

perhaps the weakness of Deep Sea Dragon is it must remain within the sea, but long ago the Canthas managed to get it out of the sea onto dry land, thus weakened it into the state of hibernation

and there this thing in ancient Chinese dynasties when it comes to selecting a location to built the capitols in relation to FengShui, the capitol be built on the artery of the Dragon (龍脈), from FengShui the location of Nanking was often regarded the artery of the Dragon, hence why it was the capital of 6 dynasties

And because Canthans built their civilisation on the biggest and baddest of them all on Cantha, the DSD, thus the dragon empire

But the problem is Kaineng City is a port city, so with the rising sea level from weakening of Zhaiten, sea water overflowed the underground sea wall that was meant to stop sea water from flowing in, thus DSD slowly began to regain its power

but because the defeat of DSD was so long ago in the past, such knowledge had become lost to people of Cantha and the imperial court; perhaps one of the story mission is we need to dig up the hidden scrolls that contain know hows from the imperial archives

I do not think it will be the end of GW2.

I do kind of hope that the 3rd expansion does wrap up the plot from past 8 years or so. Honestly, I kind do want an "ending" to this Elder Dragon saga. An end to the "conflict" but of course not the end of dragons in the lore itself, however. Over time GW2 will probably be taken over by other games, etc. due to innovations and technology, unless ArenaNet finds a way to constantly update their game engine at a rate faster than they have so far. I really would like a nice fleshed out story to finish than the game ending mid-story and left with a sense of dissatisfaction from the story telling angle. Afterwards maybe shorter stand alone stories for each LW season after the expansion, etc. would be a safer bet because then it would be easier to bring the Guild Wars 2 story to a close when that unfortunate day comes. Making innovations with WvW like systems and introducing player/guild driven politics (doesn't have to be purely PvP based) for more of an "Dawn of Realms" angle could be interesting.

I would love to see GW2 last for 10 years more at least but it is not possible.The game engine is completely outdated and cant run porperly even in the most powerful computers.And have you tried to play as a new player right now? It is a nightmare...every new player runs away from GW2 after a few hours.

I don't think it will be the end of the game, I think they're just ready to be done with the Elder Dragon story arc and moving on to something else. We've had other storylines and villains in between dragons, but they've been the overarching theme for the entire game (and before, Eye of the North was all about the Great Destroyer trying to wake up Primordius). We're rapidly running out of dragons to deal with (especially if we have to somehow pacify them instead of killing them) so I think this is a way to give it a definitive end.

I will not be at all surprised if that end also manages to tie into the beginning of the next story arc though. Like how some TV shows do it - the last couple of episodes before the big season finale also introduce the first threads of a new plot, so there's an incentive to keep watching next season.

I think this will be the last expansion - since people always want huge new stuff added to the gameplay ... which makes balancing harder: New elite specs, weapons, classes. But at least 3-4 more years for living world ... I think this is possible. With Cantha there will be room for new maps since not all of it might get to be played in the expansion itself. (Old GW1 also didn't explore most of the continent.)

Later living story is easier to create - with smaller releases (they can stop any time if it doesn't make enough profit anymore so less risk than with developing huge expansions) ... and they can still bring nice maps and map-specific mechanics which count as "content". (Also PvP and WvW still needs a lot more improvements.)

@"Kalythsu.8350" said:This

https://twitter.com/ArtofTetraethyl/status/1298734657790500867/photo/1

and this

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/557942326266167306/747892485187043359/unknown.png

"It's not the end of GW2. There's more than just dragons" :)

It's not the end of GW2 confirmed by Arena Net ^^

I agree it's not the end of GW2 by a longshot, the issue is Anet are poor at dealing with the non-Dragon side of things as they have already rushed through some major arcs. If this is the end of the Dragon story and we still have 3 Dragons left, the worry is are they really going to rush this out the door and move onto other things, with so much more left in the Dragon story tank? I think it will worry peole what they will deliver next if they rush the DRagon arc ending

I'm actually more excited by what might be coming next than what we know of the expansion so far. I really want to find out how the dragon storyline ends, and seeing Cantha again could be interesting. But assuming EoD covers the same areas of Cantha we saw in the first game (and it looks like it will) they'll have repeated pretty much all the maps from GW1, so after that we'll have to go somewhere new, which is very exciting to me.

Of course there's a lot of Cantha which wasn't in GW1. I think we saw all of Shing Jea island, but we could only ever go to the northern most part of Kaingeng City, and one small corner of the Jade Sea. Even the Echovald Forest continues south of the areas we could explore. There's other islands off the coast, and the main landmass continues past the south and east edges of the map so there's parts of it we haven't even seen a map for. I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of that features in Season 6.

But there's even more unexplored land in Tyria and Elona, and based on the map textures used for carpets, globes etc. in-game entire other landmasses beyond that. I want to see some of those places, which we know nothing about currently. I want to find out what's out there (maybe we could even find some surviving horses?) and with airships and everything else I can't see any reason we couldn't go exploring, once we're not having to focus on the Elder Dragons any more.

Can we stop those doom day tread already? Wheres are people good vibe an excitement? Were getting a new expac its time for celebration, not worry and death tread! Im happy we got a new expac, even more that is cantha! Cant wait to see what we gonna get in the 4th expac after cantha!

@otto.5684 said:I expect it to be the last expansion. I assume all 6 dragons will be dealt with by then. There will be 1, 2 or maybe 3 LWs. I do not think there will be any additional paid content after next expansion.

I do not think we will have a WoW situation, where the game keep going. I think it will be similar to GW1. By 2025 or so we might have GW3, on a new engine, with a new in game era.

Doubtful. I don't think GW3 will be coming and there are plenty of things they can do without dragons. There are lots of evils out there.

@"Sileeent.5861" said:The fact that GW2 appears for Steam could also be a bad sign. We already know that most other NCSoft games generate more money and Anet is under pressure to make more.

So, I can't deny that this title makes me fear that this could be the total ending story for GW2, and that this game will slowly switch to life support afterwards.

What do you think guys and gals?

Guild Wars 2 is fine.

End of Dragons does not signal an end of Guild Wars 2. Just look at the tag line: "The cycle is reborn." This indicates a shift in the normal ED cycle, not an ending.

More to the point, quarterly sales for Q2 2020 have gone up for Guild Wars 2, which is a positive sign. When looking at the figures, it is the only IP to show a sizeable jump in earnings. B&S has stagnated from Q1 to Q2 and all of the other IPs have dipped. I expect Q3 earnings to increase further still due to the move to Steam and the expac. teaser. A guild member who hasn't played for a long time has stated he wants to come back already!

No need to worry. Instead, be excited for what could come afterwards! More to the point, what about my boy Primordus?!

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"Kalythsu.8350" said:This

and this

"It's not the end of GW2. There's more than just dragons" :)

It's not the end of GW2 confirmed by Arena Net ^^

I agree it's not the end of GW2 by a longshot, the issue is Anet are poor at dealing with the non-Dragon side of things as they have already rushed through some major arcs. If this is the end of the Dragon story and we still have 3 Dragons left, the worry is are they really going to rush this out the door and move onto other things, with so much more left in the Dragon story tank? I think it will worry peole what they will deliver next if they rush the DRagon arc ending

I do see many options to end the dragon age without rushing it and have three dragons left.

Before gw2 I learned about the three orders and the three ways to handle the dragon problem. Fight them (vigil), find ancient secrets to get rid of them (priory) ormspy on them to find out their secret. I was disappointed that we only had to kill zhaithan without exploring the other options.

During the living world and follow up expansions we learned that just going around and killing the elder dragons is a bad idea. We still do not fully understand the cycle and the role they play in keeping Tyria in one piece. We do know a lot more now and the thought if just killing the last three off sounds very unattractive and unappealing. I actually like the other direction it has been going to since the first books about gw2 came out.

• 3 months later...

Sad to say it but it may be very likely.I log in everyday to see my giant Guild List/Friends List/Followers list with maybe 1 person on?

Bare in mind all my Guildies and Friends have always been longtime fans. Arenanet has pretty much lost most of their REAL dedicated Fanbase.They refuse to fix bugs, and don't really communicate or listen to their playerbase at all, so its not really surprising. I hope they can one day change this, the game still has so much potential.