Mount skins are too expensive

coso.9173

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Dante.1508" said:Everything is expensive in this game, not just mount skins, GW2 is one of the most expensive mmo's i've ever played as an Australian, i play multiple mmorpgs and guildwars 2 tops nearly all of them in cosmetic prices, when i started SWTOR after gw2 i was so shocked on how much cheaper it was in its cash shop, Fallout 76 was cheaper even with a sub, ESO is very expensive as well similar to GW2 but still not as expensive.

Yes i had subscriptions in ESO, Fallout 76 and SWTOR and it was still cheaper in the long run to buy cosmetics than here.

People will still crazily buy them though.
The problem isn't the cash shop prices.The problem is your self control.

No the problem is i get a lot more out of my $200 in the other mmorpgs, no need to be jealous.

OP disagrees, but the system of playing the game how you like it to earn gold to convert to gems is rewarding to me. Instead of locking me into content I might hate to gain access to skins, QoL items etc. I can do whatever I like to get them. And no I don't find them too expensive since I don't have to spent real money on them, even if I choose to do so sometimes.

• Thanks 1

@kharmin.7683 said:1600 gems is $20USD That's less than going to a movie. Sorry if you can't afford it, but the cost is quite reasonable especially for a F2P game.

Maybe in your country. Remember there are countries that earn less than 600$ a month on medium and its almost 1/3 of EU :x.For me its stupidly expensive. Its not that I dont want to pay that much, its just not affordable to pay that much too often.Especially that full game/expansion usually costs the same amount that stupid mount skin. So its also unreasonable.

• Like 3

I can pay 12 or 15 usd for a while month of gaming, I think it's worth it. But to pay 20 for a cosmetic mount , hmm no. If they were 5 use each I would have bought many by now. So at the end Anet is losing money with me, and probably others too.

• Like 3

I'd be fine if all the special mount skins were 1600, that's 20 eur / dollars and it's more than fine for me.What gets me is that special mount skins are 2000 gems...and you gotta pay literally 30 eur/dollars for a single skin, which I find to be too much.With new skins being released (the new turtle skimmer <3) which are 1600 now, I find myself being able to afford them, -400 gems means a lot.

I'm not opposed to prices going even lower. 1200 gems would be more than reasonable for special skins too...and I feel sales would go up even more.Right now, I feel 2000 gems for a mount skin is too much.

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@coso.9173 said:I have 2 issues with mount skins in this game.First, there's no way to earn any by playing the game, it's not a reward for anything. Unless of course you earn gold in game and then change to gems and then but it. But it lacks the feeling of reward you'd get by getting a new skin in-game, not to mention if it would be done like the sky scale or griffon there's an actual story quest with it too, the gem store lacks that too.My second complaint is that it's way too expensive. 1200 gems for most skins is too much. 700 gems is the price of most costumes, and it should be the same for mount skins too.I'm not against some special skins being luxury items and more expensive, many games have that, but the general price for them should be much closer too 700 gems imo.

I'm guessing mount skins is a lot of their revenue since I don't understand how this game is profitable so I doubt they'll ever lower the cost.However, they should 100% add mount skins you can earn in game, refusing to do this for so long is really, really, really, really silly.Wish they added some to legendaries like they did for the gliders, the trinket slots would have been perfect for that.

• Like 1

This is a buy-to-play franchise. Cosmetics are one of ArenaNet's main revenue streams.

The quality of the mounts are worth the price. Remember - you do not need to purchase a select license. You can roll the dice with an adoption license for 400 gems. Yes, you have to play the RNG game but everyone should know this by now.

I am thankful that ArenaNet has stuck to a non-P2W store and have done so very well.

@Donutdude.9582 said:This is a buy-to-play franchise. Cosmetics are one of ArenaNet's main revenue streams.

The quality of the mounts are worth the price. Remember - you do not need to purchase a select license. You can roll the dice with an adoption license for 400 gems. Yes, you have to play the RNG game but everyone should know this by now.

I am thankful that ArenaNet has stuck to a non-P2W store and have done so very well.

Aren't some skins mainly recolors of the default ones with more dye channels? 8d that worth 20 USD?

• Like 2

@coso.9173 said:

@Donutdude.9582 said:This is a buy-to-play franchise. Cosmetics are one of ArenaNet's main revenue streams.

The quality of the mounts are worth the price. Remember - you do not
need
to purchase a select license. You can roll the dice with an adoption license for 400 gems. Yes, you have to play the RNG game but everyone should know this by now.

Aren't some skins mainly recolors of the default ones with more dye channels? 8d that worth 20 USD?

To some people, yes it is. I'm guessing that it is worth it to enough people for ANet to make that the price point and still turn a profit.

That's the thing about optional items like skins. They aren't required to play the game.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

@kharmin.7683 said:

need
to purchase a select license. You can roll the dice with an adoption license for 400 gems. Yes, you have to play the RNG game but everyone should know this by now.

To some people, yes it is. I'm guessing that it is worth it to enough people for ANet to make that the price point and still turn a profit.

That's the thing about optional items like skins. They aren't required to play the game.

I guess we'll definitely disagree on that then.

@coso.9173 said:

need

Those ones 'only' cost 1200 gems (I think that's about 15 USD?) or 400 gems if you're willing to accept a random skin from that selection.

As I said earlier in the topic I think that's too much, which is why I only buy select licences when they're on sale. But I think accuracy is important here - when people talk about paying 20-25 USD for a mount skin they're talking about the 'premium' skins sold individually on the gem store. Those have never been simple recolours of the original mounts, they're always distinctly different.

I think part of the problem with this discussion is it's not always clear which mount/s someone is talking about. One person might say they're all too expensive because they would only consider the 2,000 gem skins, or find licences confusing and have never looked into what those get you. Another person might say mount skins are actually quite cheap, thinking of their own experience occasionally buying a 400 gem random licence and largely forgetting the 2,000 gem mounts even exist because they never consider them.

Of course I'm sure there's also people who think all the different price points are too expensive for what you get, and people who think they're all reasonable prices, but even then it would be helpful for people to make it clear they do mean all the different options and not just the one they prefer to use.

@coso.9173 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:1600 gems is $20USD That's less than going to a movie. Sorry if you can't afford it, but the cost is quite reasonable especially for a F2P game.

That's more than a whole month of a sub based MMO. I disagree that it should be the default price for regular skin.

from my experience it seems to be quite common standard for mount/mount skins in mmo's to sit around that price in general. It is a bit more than a regular sub but in the end its a "luxury" item so to speak, a cosmetic thing. its like buying a shirt or a lego set. how much would you say is a resonable price for mounts? considering the time it takes to actually put together a skin or even remodel it is fairly cheap as it already is.

• Thanks 2

@Solanum.6983 said:I'd agree if Gw2 had a subscription but it doesn't.It's a free to play Game that offers Free episodes if you're playing when they release while also having pretty cheap expansions. On top of all this the Paid currency (Gems) can also be bought with in game currency.It might seem like a lot but in my opinion the gem store prices are fine.

People need to stop saying the GW2 is free to play. The base game is free...with lots of limitations. Getting access to any future content is Buy to Play. Mounts...and thus mount skins...is a feature you have to buy.As for the topic, $20 is too much IMO. $20 or even $30 if you want the super fancy skins is the same price as the full game. That's crazy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, I doubt anything will change ever.. as it would be a spit into faces of people who bought it for full price. Even if the current price is ridduculous and not affordable at all.I often choose to mot buy sth or wait for gold -> gem conversion simply because how unaffordable and unreasonable some prices are.

@MokahTGS.7850 said:

@Solanum.6983 said:I'd agree if Gw2 had a subscription but it doesn't.It's a free to play Game that offers Free episodes if you're playing when they release while also having pretty cheap expansions. On top of all this the Paid currency (Gems) can also be bought with in game currency.It might seem like a lot but in my opinion the gem store prices are fine.

People need to stop saying the GW2 is free to play. The base game is free...with lots of limitations. Getting access to any future content is Buy to Play. Mounts...and thus mount skins...is a feature you have to buy.As for the topic, $20 is too much IMO. $20 or even $30 if you want the super fancy skins is the same price as the full game. That's crazy.

Future content is still Free since if you play anytime within the current release it's automatically unlocked. It's past content that is buy to play. The only change to this is expansions, which are dirt cheap compared to the sheer amount of content you get for them.

They have to make money somehow, would you rather they hike up the price of expansions and make us all pay for the current story or go to a subscription to compensate reducing the gem store prices?Personally I think having more expensive optional cosmetic skins that make no difference to the game be that more expensive is worth how little you have to spend to unlock all the games content.

• Confused 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/27/2020 at 1:08 PM, mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Dante.1508" said:Everything is expensive in this game, not just mount skins, GW2 is one of the most expensive mmo's i've ever played as an Australian, i play multiple mmorpgs and guildwars 2 tops nearly all of them in cosmetic prices, when i started SWTOR after gw2 i was so shocked on how much cheaper it was in its cash shop, Fallout 76 was cheaper even with a sub, ESO is very expensive as well similar to GW2 but still not as expensive.

Yes i had subscriptions in ESO, Fallout 76 and SWTOR and it was still cheaper in the long run to buy cosmetics than here.

People will still crazily buy them though.You claimed at one point to be spending over 200au per week on this game.The problem isn't the cash shop prices.The problem is your self control.

Thats what it cost me to buy 8000 gems $270 ish AUD with conversion rates.. Yes i did... Now i have stopped and mostly play Fallout 76 or just buy singleplayer experiences. This game is crazy over priced for its Gems compared to other MMOs at least for Australians.

To give a comparison for the similar or more cosmetics it costs me $52.90 AUD on Fallout 76 thats 29.95 for atoms and 22.95 for Fallout 1st sub a month. And they sell in AUD as well through steam this company gave up on steam..

On 8/27/2020 at 9:33 PM, Blur.3465 said:

I'd be fine if all the special mount skins were 1600, that's 20 eur / dollars and it's more than fine for me.What gets me is that special mount skins are 2000 gems...and you gotta pay literally 30 eur/dollars for a single skin, which I find to be too much.With new skins being released (the new turtle skimmer <3) which are 1600 now, I find myself being able to afford them, -400 gems means a lot.

I'm not opposed to prices going even lower. 1200 gems would be more than reasonable for special skins too...and I feel sales would go up even more.Right now, I feel 2000 gems for a mount skin is too much.

Especially when a whole AAA game is $90 here or $60USD... 30USD for a skin is crazy town.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Thats what it cost me to buy 8000 gems $270 ish AUD with conversion rates.. Yes i did... Now i have stopped and mostly play Fallout 76 or just buy singleplayer experiences. This game is crazy over priced for its Gems compared to other MMOs at least for Australians.

To give a comparison for the similar or more cosmetics it costs me $52.90 AUD on Fallout 76 thats 29.95 for atoms and 22.95 for Fallout 1st sub a month. And they sell in AUD as well through steam this company gave up on steam..

Especially when a whole AAA game is $90 here or $60USD... 30USD for a skin is crazy town.

Quoting me a second time over a year after after I ignored your post to get some attention is some next level weird.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

It's a good thing that mount skins aren't needed to play the game or complete content.

Is a good thing that playing game aren't needed to live a life. You see, thats stupid to think like this. Yeah you dont care about skin, but for some people its important in a game. Cheap skin should have been in the loot table, yu want to know why? Because when you are fully gear up, the only real progression is fashion, but when youre armor style is perfect, you dont care about any new skin, and when people dont care about the reward, they generaly leave. Mount skin was a opportunity for anet to add, a new "kind of" progression, but alas.

Edited by Makuragee.3058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

On 8/19/2020 at 3:57 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

1600 gems is $20USD That's less than going to a movie. Sorry if you can't afford it, but the cost is quite reasonable especially for a F2P game.

It's slightly isn't true while yes it does has elements of free to play the whole of guild wars is buy to play with no monthly subscription. You wouldn't say Final Fantasy XIV is free to play just because they offer up to level 60 which covers the main core game.

I've got no problem with Guild Wars making money. I will say however a shop can make or break a game if the shop offer items with little value then it could hurt more than help. I've bought tons of things which add value to my account for me such as bank space, inf tools, character slots & outfits which was not helpful but I liked the style or look.

I can look at most outfits and say this is reasonable price and even for styles I don't like or maybe wait till a sell to buy. I can't however do the same for mount skins. While there are some of mount skins in my view are worth the price like Tremor Armadillo Roller Beetle Skinm, Shrine Guardian Jackal Skin, Krytan Lop there are some skins which are mainly just a recolor with a slightly different pattern or a slight effect I couldn't see my self ever buying. I might not be the person they are trying to target to however I can't see why would you offer skins with little effort the same price as skins that have effort placed into them.

In my view I do think they should offer skins to be able to obtains in game without spending gold to gems just to increases the rewards of maybe doing an achievement, finishing a story, fractals or raids. It doesn't have to be there best skins ones which are simple would still add a lot of new rewards to the game. 

Disclosure : I've bought outfits, bank, bag slot, inf tools, character slots (more than all classes within game) & many more useless un-needed items.

• Like 2