[UPDATED] Guild Wars 2 is Coming to Steam - [Merged]

@Healix.5819 said:Note you'll still be paying the same prices, it'll just be displayed in your local currency. True regional pricing is something the developer has to specifically set.

Sorry, but in my case you are wrong.In my country if you use your credit card for international purchases, you will be required to pay an additional amount called IOF.And this is also valid for purchases on Steam internationally.But as I can also choose the national form of payment, I am not obliged to pay this additional amount.In some cases the IOF makes the price of the product more expensiveSo...

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Butterfly Kingdom.8349" said:On today's anniversary livestream, we announced that Guild Wars 2 is coming to Steam in November. We look forward to welcoming even more players to Tyria to join our community!If you log in through Steam, you'll still play alongside your fellow Tyrians on the same maps and servers (select NA or EU). Whether you choose to log in through Steam or the Guild Wars 2 launcher, everyone plays together! However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.Stay up to date on the latest news by visiting
and wishlisting Guild Wars 2.

Hi, just to clarify. If we have an existing gw2 account with characters and we buy it all again on steam - can i still play with my existing characters on steam or is it a completely fresh account with none of my old characters. The statement you made was not entirely clear for me - sorry

Completely new you have to start over.

Man this sucks.

I am more than willing to buy the whole game on steam with all the expansions etc - but only if I can play with my existing character that iv put so much work into.

This only benefits new players coming to GW2 since we cannot link and use steam funds. I hardly doubt the vast majority of the existing player base will port over to Steam considering you're forced to buy everything again and cannot even use the same account.

Unless existing players can link to Steam so they can use steam funds this is nothing more than a way to bring in new players through the Steam platform which is fine, but nothing to write home about for existing players.

As much as I love GW2 and I've been playing since the first day, I wont re-purchase to be on Steam and start over.

Very happy about this news, but as others have pointed out it seems rather pointless to be excited if I can’t transfer my account. If it was possible, for a limited time to transfer accounts to Steam, that would be very nice and welcome. This move mainly seems to be aimed at getting new players in which is always good of course. But it would be so good if I’d be able to access my current account directly from Steam.

@dengyirenkafei.3789 said:The Chinese agent named KZW performed very badly. 1 million players left Guild Wars 2 because of KZW. If Guild Wars 2 comes to steam and has Chinese, whether it’s simplified Chinese or traditional Chinese, our 1 million players will return to Guild Wars 2 and buy Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Teaser dlc

i remember long ago back at early days i saw someone played on the chinese version, and their gem store was ridiculous... western players would have been outraged by the stuffs they were selling

not sure what it's like these days

@Corpus Christi.2057 said:To ArenaNet,

While this news is generally great, as I'm also one of those many that use Steam for most of my games, when I realised, if I understand it correctly, that you will not be able to use your current Account that I have had since the game's premiere on Steam, it became pretty much pointless to introduce it for me and the alikes. I mean, it is really smart to have new players attracted via the most popular gaming platform, Steam, let's be honest here - the majority would still be the existing or returning players, not the new players. Therefore, not allowing to use an existing account on Steam with tens of thounsands of hours spent and achievements unlocked, is extremely bad an idea. I'm rather confident the majority of playerbase would really like the idea of transfering the account and progress from many years to Steam and at the same time they're unlikely to create new accounts just for the sake of having a game on Steam with a new account. MMORPGs are games that like the idea of continually developing an existing account and having it progress further and further, and that's why not allowing us to have our accounts used on Steam would seem pretty illogical.

I can only hope that You guys, as great as you are, will re-evaluate your position and introduce the Steam version for the existing ArenaNet client users so we can continue the progress of our accounts on Steam.

Best regards,

Your 8th-anniversary account User and devoted Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 player, Corpus

100% could not have said it better myself. I don't want it to turn into how Final Fantasy 14 did things when it came to accounts. If they gave us an option to convert are accounts permanently to steam as a one way street and once you migrated to steam you cannot go back to a normal GW2 Account I would convert my account in a heart beat and never look back.

Migrations has been a distanced past these generations and few and few companies uses this method. If not converting then linking.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@gurkoz.3284 said:Omg i was so excited about a Steam release and then 5 seconds later i realized this trash. Seriously. Look at SWTOR that just did the same transition. All to the BENEFIT of both developers and the players..

This effectively makes me want to play LESS since i want to play through Steam and i eventually have to start over..

Why would you want to play through steam? What's the difference?

I mean you're going to be launching the same game (probably with the same launcher) as you are now but by clicking on an icon on steam.

So friends can see you play Guild Wars 2? I mean if your super Anti-Social to show friends your playing the most amazing game ever that I preach to friends to try this game out (Because it's free to play is the best I seen level 80 and all Race Story? That's a steal) I don't know what they are doing with there life on having steam if they don't want friends to see them play a game.Steam is still useful to a lot of us who have friends on Steam and still use Steam Overlay to chat with friends, Not everyone has discord and is why I still use Steam Friends despite having Discord Installed.

@"Donari.5237" said:I avoid Steam for the most part, though I have to use it to try out New World shortly, and I think Baldur's Gate 3 will be on it only as well. So I can't give direct warnings. But note that people who have ESO on Steam have had numerous problems over the past years per the forums, to the point that playing ESO via Steam has been a source of regret for many. Glitched patching, blocked logins, etc. Any time someone there asks for advice on using Steam for ESO, they get a lot of "don't do it" replies.

I hope this newer partnership goes more smoothly. Getting new players in that wouldn't have tried the game without Steam will be wonderful -- so long as they don't get such a terrible connection experience that they decide the fault lies in ANet rather than Steam and turn it into negative press.

I personally own ESO and never once had launcher issues. Maybe during it's Pre-One Tamerial Launch day. But not in today's year. The only "Issue" I get is that steam does not close the ESO Launcher after quitting out. Other than that I never had such issues that's said here.

I am not denying the issues don't exist, But I been on the Steam version for years, I joined the game just right after the game put Subs as an optional thing before One Tamerial Update.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@gurkoz.3284 said:Omg i was so excited about a Steam release and then 5 seconds later i realized this trash. Seriously. Look at SWTOR that just did the same transition. All to the BENEFIT of both developers and the players..

This effectively makes me want to play LESS since i want to play through Steam and i eventually have to start over..

Why would you want to play through steam? What's the difference?

I mean you're going to be launching the same game (probably with the same launcher) as you are now but by clicking on an icon on steam.

I don't get it either. I know Steam has it's own friends list so I guess it makes it a bit easier to add people you know in real life or from other games, but I don't see why it would be so important to some people to go through a 3rd party to launch the same game they've already got.

That's like saying want to give up over 100+ Games on steam because there is no point in using it. Unless someone pays me 1 million dollars to re-buy all my games. I am not moving away from steam. Not everyone even use Discord, How can you keep track of friends online? Emails? I already cannot keep up with the 100+ emails I get so that's not gonna work. I TRIED to get a friend to convert to Discord but they are not used to it and they prefer to just use something there comfortable with to chat to me with. Who can blame them? You have to teach a friend ho to use Discord sometimes and I won't force anyone to have to learn it if they don't want too.I am a instant Messenger Person, I cannot stand Emails and Text Messages, I need chats that has the person on the other side than wait on there message to text back.

I hope it gets a lot more players into the game but I really hope this lag issue gets fixed before the steam release..

Hate to say it but if my first experience with Gw2 was a very laggy buggy experience I'd likely uninstall the game within the first few hours and not bother with it again.I really don't want this to be the case for new Steam players.

@Widmo.3186 said:Cool move, but still...

@Butterfly Kingdom.8349 said:However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.Is there a limit of foolishness from ANet side? Cant you act like a normal company, like kakao games which moved to steam with BDO and allowed ppl to log-in through steam? No? I ask for too much?

Why would you want to hand over 30% of the money from all future transactions between you and your already existing customers to a third party?

All Steam is, is a middle man that stand in the doorway of your store and reads every receipt then charges you 30% of the total for the privilege of them blocking the doorway. Now if you think they're adding a new door and letting in more people than got in before then maybe you can justify it... but if you put them on your existing doorway - that's just plain foolish.

Steam has value if you're a small company and setting up the game platform is beyond your reach... but for an existing company it's a risky move that could destroy your ability to be profitable.

There's a reason Epic and Apple are going after each other right now... and a reason lots of cities in California have put laws in place limiting the cut companies like Uber Eats and Doordash take... these middle men are ruining industry ability to grow by overcharging for a service that, had it been priced right; would instead be a growth engine...

I'm dubious as to how many new customers there are to grab off of steam... I don't see this as a wise move... but at least it's not an insane one, like handing over us existing customers would have been.

@Kichwas.7152 said:

@Widmo.3186 said:Cool move, but still...

@Butterfly Kingdom.8349 said:However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.Is there a limit of foolishness from ANet side? Cant you act like a normal company, like kakao games which moved to steam with BDO and allowed ppl to log-in through steam? No? I ask for too much?

Why would you want to hand over 30% of the money from all future transactions between you and your already existing customers to a third party?

the main reason has been repeated over and over but again simply, some people aren't even existing paying customers and have to go to great lengths or suffer excessive fees using the existing payment methods just to support the game. steam makes it easier by allowing more payment methods and the use of one's currency regardless if regional pricing was implemented or not, just simply being able to pay without an international credit-card is already easier than having to go through many hoops just because you want to help keep GW2 alive and buy your shinies.

not being able to link/un-link your main account to steam means you either have to make a shopping alt account to gift your main gemstore stuff or start over fresh which means losing everything you've worked for over the years (some which are impossible to obtain again or would take a long time). no one wants to lose years of progress just so they can support a game/company

Honestly, it would be wise to let us link them. I know not of what kind of restrictions would be put in place, if any, but there are good reasons for letting us do that.

1. It'd be easier for those that do not want to use their credit/debit cards to purchase gems due to negative past experiences with other companies and easier for those that cannot find the gem cards due to stores assuming the game is "dead." (Like at Walmart for example.)
  2. Could make a few collaborative items in the store or as a gift for those that link their accounts, like a weapon/armor skin or a miniature that would entice people to play more. (For those that may disagree with this, can you really complain that free stuff isn't a good enticement for bringing people to play/buy stuff?)There might be more reasons and probably better points, but this is all I could think of on the top of my head. Regardless, linking accounts would honestly help the players instead of us picking one over the other.

@Chris.5369 said:I don't understand the reasoning and benefits to putting this game on steam, can someone help me out with that? If they released it on xbox I would be more excited.Steam is still the defacto pc store front with around 90-100 million active users a month, so the pure reach if it gets some ground on steam with its massive playerbase would be a great thing for this game. If it went to console I don't think people would be as excited as the game wouldn't look good and console players would be facing an up hill battle in pvp and wvw as they would have more problems landing skill shots as they dodge ect unless Im mistaken but that would limit the viable builds console players could use.

so this isnt up for negotiation at all?I have a ton of games on steam and a lot of friends there, while the possible achievments and trading cards would be a nice novelty they arent really necessary in my opinion. I just wanted to link my account so I could share screenshots and interact with the steam community, maybe carry some friends arounds see if I could convert them.

I know discord and forums exist, but there's just something about the steam tabs that is so practical and satisfying to use

@Doragor.2749 said:so this isnt up for negotiation at all?I have a ton of games on steam and a lot of friends there, while the possible achievments and trading cards would be a nice novelty they arent really necessary in my opinion. I just wanted to link my account so I could share screenshots and interact with the steam community, maybe carry some friends arounds see if I could convert them.

I know discord and forums exist, but there's just something about the steam tabs that is so practical and satisfying to use

add the game to steam client thats what I have done