Underwater Combat

AikijinX.6258

At least warrior banner stomps underwater but from what I understand it has old cooldown (240 seconds) and if you pick it up the recharge doesn't get reduced.

My feedback on underwater combat is that it is just too slow movementspeed wise. You should move faster all directions and your dodges should go further. Its just too clunky rn.

@Threather.9354 said:At least warrior banner stomps underwater but from what I understand it has old cooldown (240 seconds) and if you pick it up the recharge doesn't get reduced.

My feedback on underwater combat is that it is just too slow movementspeed wise. You should move faster all directions and your dodges should go further. Its just too clunky rn.

In terms of movement speed. Do you guys feel as though the swim speed infusions do nothing for increasing speed? I feel as though I still swim just as slow as I did without the infusion. I have a +21 swim infusion and I still feel slow underwater.

@AikijinX.6258 said:

@Junkpile.7439 said:I don't even know any water skills. I just push random buttons. B)

B) Legend

23 WvW toons, 32 full sets of ascended gear, 3 full sets of legendary armor, 4 full extra bank tabs of ascended jewelry and back pieces, and probably half those toons still using the default aqua breather you get at level 1. Stones, nope not touching them.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@Junkpile.7439 said:I don't even know any water skills. I just push random buttons. B)

B) Legend

23 WvW toons, 32 full sets of ascended gear, 3 full sets of legendary armor, 4 full extra bank tabs of ascended jewelry and back pieces, and probably half those toons still using the default aqua breather you get at level 1. Stones, nope not touching them.

The Flex Legend.

@Jski.6180 said:I like to see them let player user underwater weapons on land. trident on ele would be soo fun in wvw.

I guess the full extension of this logic is to let land weapons become usable underwater.

a simple way to balance water combat and give extra new abilities and weapons on land. but some water weapon would be terribly op on land

@ledernierrempart.6871 said:

@Jski.6180 said:I like to see them let player user underwater weapons on land. trident on ele would be soo fun in wvw.

I guess the full extension of this logic is to let land weapons become usable underwater.

a simple way to balance water combat and give extra new abilities and weapons on land. but some water weapon would be terribly op on land

True you would have to balance some of the water skills for sure even underwater some weapons are very op. Spear thf would be unkillable on land lol.

@AikijinX.6258 said:

@Threather.9354 said:At least warrior banner stomps underwater but from what I understand it has old cooldown (240 seconds) and if you pick it up the recharge doesn't get reduced.

In terms of movement speed. Do you guys feel as though the swim speed infusions do nothing for increasing speed? I feel as though I still swim just as slow as I did without the infusion. I have a +21 swim infusion and I still feel slow underwater.

If you have swiftness up it overrides that swim speed. If you want to go faster take runes of speed and a source of swiftness. That, sans skimmer, will be your fastest movement speed underwater.

@"TinkTinkPOOF.9201" said:The problem with DS in water is they have all the same issues as normal DS, plus you have lower DPS to finish them, no stomping ability AND the downed can move.....WHY?! Remove the ability to move in DS in water and you will solve a good bulk of this. Main reasons are that control and "sticking" to someone is not the best in water, while on land you have much higher DPS and the downed can't move at will.

Well ele can move in Vapor Form: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vapor_Form

Vapor Form (DS skill) is the same skill that is called Mist Form on land. You will be able to move and be invulnerable for the time you are in Vapor Form, but still take damage from condition (that where active before you get into VF state). During this form you will also not have access to any other skills, so it is only where you can move that is possible during this phase.

There are probably other DS skill that will give some movement if used in right time. Ranger's pet have to basic features, to keep target occupied and to heal player in DS (in addition to normal DS heals). This make some profession have a bit too much advantage vs other professions in DS (on land) or Drowning state (water).

Anyway UW skills have more in common with the environment of air then land. In air we don't have access to DS skills while our HP are zero (we don't enter DS - and we only fall to our death; taking heavy fall damage). On some maps we have access to special gliding skills (only Bloodstone Fen as far as I recall it). In water we would need traits and skill that is more fit to avoid getting killed from above water surface (LB ranger have an advantage when they can hit target even above water with land skills).

Could we separate the discussion to at least make it clear that if you will go into down state while in water you will instead have a skill set from "Drowning" which isn't the same skill set as you will have when get into downed state on land?

@AikijinX.6258 said:

B) Legend

The Flex Legend.

Nah, just pointing out the state of underwater combat and impact on gameplay currently and how much we might need to think about if underwater becomes more of a thing. But hey, go with what you want.

@ShadowCatz.8437 said:

@"TinkTinkPOOF.9201" said:The problem with DS in water is they have all the same issues as normal DS, plus you have lower DPS to finish them, no stomping ability AND the downed can move.....WHY?! Remove the ability to move in DS in water and you will solve a good bulk of this. Main reasons are that control and "sticking" to someone is not the best in water, while on land you have much higher DPS and the downed can't move at will.

Well ele can move in Vapor Form:

Vapor Form (DS skill) is the same skill that is called Mist Form on land. You will be able to move and be invulnerable for the time you are in Vapor Form, but still take damage from condition (that where active before you get into VF state). During this form you will also not have access to any other skills, so it is only where you can move that is possible during this phase.

There are probably other DS skill that will give some movement if used in right time. Ranger's pet have to basic features, to keep target occupied and to heal player in DS (in addition to normal DS heals). This make some profession have a bit too much advantage vs other professions in DS (on land) or Drowning state (water).

Anyway UW skills have more in common with the environment of air then land. In air we don't have access to DS skills while our HP are zero (we don't enter DS - and we only fall to our death; taking heavy fall damage). On some maps we have access to special gliding skills (only Bloodstone Fen as far as I recall it). In water we would need traits and skill that is more fit to avoid getting killed from above water surface (LB ranger have an advantage when they can hit target even above water with land skills).

Could we separate the discussion to at least make it clear that if you will go into down state while in water you will instead have a skill set from "Drowning" which isn't the same skill set as you will have when get into downed state on land?

Ele DS skill is not the same as moving at will however, it's a single skill with a CD, same with Thief DS port and Mesmer DS port, they can't just keep moving and moving and moving, that is, it's a single stomp counter. Also, UW has no stomp, so you can't even port stomp if you wanted to UW, the only option is to DPS, in an area with 3 axis of movement, clunky skills that have seen no real attention since launch, lower DPS etc etc.

If movement was removed from UW DS, adding stomping then becomes easy, and DPS becomes possible, there is zero reason UW DS should allow movement at will.

And while not related to DS, your comment reminded me about another water issue, because of ranger, why, why, WHY do you lose all skills when on the surface of the water? Are your feet on land? No? Then UW weapons and utility, if your feet are on land, then land weapons and utility. Having been in this position myself and abusing it when playing ranger as well, LB pew pew someone in water, who can't do anything, then if they decide to fight and come to you on land, just wait for them to get on the surface, immob and free kill. Why? Because for some unknown reason, you don't have access to any skills to DPS the vines or clear it, you are 100% stuck, unable to do anything but die. This makes zero sense and has annoyed me since beta, and makes water combat just that much more clunky.