LAG LAG LAG - Anet please stop ignoring the community on this! - [Merged]

I checked that one and one for Thunderhead Peaks that I was on and didn't see any major issues. There were some players complaining about lag but I saw no skill activation issues nor did I have FPS issues (people blame the servers for this). I even did the same event as them too.

Edit:

Did the south meta and no issues. I've been watching the connection to the IP and everything appears fine. There is an increased latency when it hops around sveral locations in Colorado and then a couple in Texas. The hop in Virginia has also gotten high at some times.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living World 4 with each zone is becoming more and more unplayable for me. I got to the Dragonspear forge and I started getting freezes and crashes to the character selection screen in the SOLO story instance, you know the one that you get to fight big K in. They plan to get Gw2 on Steam with that? The moment people who paid for it will reach these zones they are going to be livid as I am. It's my first time doing these zones and there is NO FUN in that. In earlier zones I was at least able to go through story missions normally, now it's impossible to finish it.

@Ramooh.3286 said:Game is too laggy to play. I ask in /map and multiple other people say they are lagging too. I'm in the first zone of Path of Fire (NA) if people are curious.

I just bought the expansions and I'm regretting my decision. If you are new (or returning like me) think twice before giving them your money.

It's coming to steam soon too, and valve will probably have to offer refunds from the massive backlash if they do not fix their servers by then.

Had my worst experience with it just today.

I logged on and did the festival dailies in Labyrinthine Cliffs, no lag.I farmed my home and guildhall, no lag.I did my dailies in WvW and ran around doing stuff with a group for a while, no lag.Then I went to the Crown Pavillion to finish the festival dailies.. lag spikes every few seconds.. some lasting upto 10+ seconds..

I was planning on playing Gw2 quite a bit tonight but not with this lag.. I really hope this problem goes away before the steam release.

I rarely have ping issues until suddenly, it happened today. I play on NA and live in Europe, and my ping usually averages around 130, which is fine. I was doing the southern drizzlewood meta earlier no issue, then northside started, and my ping skyrocketed to 4000! Decided it's not my day for metas today, and left to divinity's reach, shortly after which I experienced a full disconnect. But you know, it's funny. An EU player who plays on NA, and yet I have less ping issues than actual NA people, despite that one sudden spike from earlier...

I'm in no way a network expert, but it seems like it might be player load, if you ask me.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Your connection is better probably because, even though you’re further away, you may go through fewer hops or don’t have to go through networks that have been slower than normal because of everyone being at home more.

Ah I see. Thank you for that info. The bad ping is also gone now. :) This really doesn't happen often for me, but it can be very frustrating when you're trying to do something big like a meta. (Or well, I actually don't do metas very often, so it's kinda big for me)

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing worse than the lag that's been going on for a long time in specific maps (Thunderhead Keep being the worse I believe) is not finding one single word about from Anet. I say this as someone who is invested in the game and pretends to keep playing for a long time. It literally breaks the game, a few minutes after arriving at those maps, it becomes unplayable, and that is really gonna hurt the game's reputation. Even a hc fan such as I starts thinking if I should care so much about the game when the company appears to ignore something like this. Even if you dont know what is it, or how to fix, say something. Anything is better than letting players think you dont care.

@Garamond.8542 said:The only thing worse than the lag that's been going on for a long time in specific maps (Thunderhead Keep being the worse I believe) is not finding one single word about from Anet. I say this as someone who is invested in the game and pretends to keep playing for a long time. It literally breaks the game, a few minutes after arriving at those maps, it becomes unplayable, and that is really gonna hurt the game's reputation. Even a hc fan such as I starts thinking if I should care so much about the game when the company appears to ignore something like this. Even if you dont know what is it, or how to fix, say something. Anything is better than letting players think you dont care.

Have you checked the Carousel, and/or 'News and Announcements'?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"Friday.7864" said:The only thing this many people have in common is playing on the same server, nothing else.Dozens of Internet providers having issues or dozen of different PC configurations having performance issues at the same time is nonsense.
Opb62Ex.pngfrC6nf8.png

Except, they could all be using the same Tier 1 backbone, as there are only a few available.

You would have ask each and every one use a program like PingPlotter to find which Tier 1 backbone is in use.

(And, it's possible more than one of the 7 or so is having issues at the same time.)

I'm Sure Australia and the netherlands are all using the same tier 1 backbone lol

@Dante.1508 said:

@"Friday.7864" said:The only thing this many people have in common is playing on the same server, nothing else.Dozens of Internet providers having issues or dozen of different PC configurations having performance issues at the same time is nonsense.
Opb62Ex.pngfrC6nf8.png

Except, they could all be using the same Tier 1 backbone, as there are only a few available.

You would have ask each and every one use a program like PingPlotter to find which Tier 1 backbone is in use.

(And, it's possible more than one of the 7 or so is having issues at the same time.)

I'm Sure Australia and the netherlands are all using the same tier 1 backbone lol

Unless the servers are in the Netherlands then there's a chance that both are. It all depends on how it's routed and there's really no way to be sure unless someone from AU runs a trace to one of the EU server IP's and someone in the Netherlands does the same. If they don't share the same T1 then there's a chance they could share the same T2.

Underwater cables around the worldA network mapOne of the USAnother one of the US

@"VoxShatterfall.5470" said:1) The Name server that Arenanet uses also conducts load balancing, not based purely on location or distance from the server, but instead based upon load for each map you join determined when you join it. The load balancing list is akin to different buckets for each and every game server, and as of late is rusting and pitting at the rim.

From what I understand, the load balancing happens when you want to enter a map. But after you are landed on a map, you are then bound to that instance (map-server, ip-number of /ip command) until the map crashes, closes, you are idle-disconnected or you leave the map yourself.

The "load balancing" algorithm that assigns you to a map-server/specific map instance also takes into account if there are already players from your guild/group/friendlist in the map you want to enter and puts you on the same map-instance if the max-capacity hard-limit of the map is not reached.

In normal conditions, any overflow will cause the game server’s balancing list to “de-prioritize” packets from the game server to be “queued”. In today’s condition, it appears that the load balancing list buckets are much too small to handle each game server’s load, allowing overflows to occur regularly, and the jagged edges occasionally causing some players to seep into the same “queued” state without an overflow actually occurring.

When I look at the tcp-packet flow between the game-client and the game-server (the map-ip that is the tcp-endpoint server-side) I do not see lost packets (wrong sequence numbers, retransmissions, etc.) or that packets server->client are delayed (queued) and are send later. I only see that there are no tcp-packets received in the client from the server for some duration in situations, where normally there should be several packets per second from server to client.

My test results would contradict your explanation, if you mean with "packets" the tcp/ip-packets from server to client. But if you mean it in a more abstract form of "data-packets" or "game-messages" that are queued (or lost) between the internal systems before the messages are encapsulated into tcp-payload of the tcp-client-server connection (and send to the client), it would makes sense and match my tests.

The "de-priorization" (of not all but some packets or connections) as a result of load/overload or a systems/software bug could also explain, why not all players (that are on the same map) report skill lag at the same time.

Is it a fact or is it speculation that Anet uses such "de-priorization" methods?

1) Avoid playing on certain maps that are very active to avoid de-prioritization (this is not a viable solution, which is why we are complaining to ANET).

Why would specific maps (like PoF and S4) maps be more vulnerable to de-prioritization (lots of players report skill lags on these maps) than other maps?

3) Use a VPN specifically designed for gaming. In certain cases this VPN can put you lower in the bucket so to speak, but its not 100% certain why this is the case. This has reportedly worked very well for some OCX players.

I believe this only makes it better if the skill-lag is a result of packet-loss in the Internet between client and server. With a VPN the packets between client and server make a detour and this sometimes circumvents the place of packet-loss.

Example: A VPN helped a lot at the time, before AWS, when Anet hosted their EU servers in Frankfurt and the interconnection between Anets hosting provider and the Deutsche Telekom was a bottleneck during peak-usage that resulted in packet-loss between server and client which resulted in skill-lags and other negative effects for a lot of GW2-users that were customers of Deutsche Telekom. But with a VPN the packets travvelled through a different provider exchange to Deutsche Telekom that was not overloaded and as a result there was no packet-loss and no skill lag with VPN.

@Dante.1508 said:

@sitarskee.5738 said:Pretty sure ANet is aware of the issue though. Why make new thread about it everyday? It won't make it faster, just chill and maybe do something else if GW2 is unplayable for you. It's not like you're going to lose something.

Doesn't help the games population though, especially with steam coming.. imagine the reviews.

Still, I am PRETTY sure they are more aware of it than we are :D It's them who are going to lose money and players, not us. They should care, not us.

@sitarskee.5738 said:

@sitarskee.5738 said:Pretty sure ANet is aware of the issue though. Why make new thread about it everyday? It won't make it faster, just chill and maybe do something else if GW2 is unplayable for you. It's not like you're going to lose something.

Doesn't help the games population though, especially with steam coming.. imagine the reviews.

Still, I am PRETTY sure they are more aware of it than we are :D It's them who are going to lose money and players, not us. They should care, not us.

I care because it makes the game unplayable.

@Dante.1508 said:

Yep.

@Dante.1508 said:

Well, yeah. It is nice that you care but why bother playing an unplayable game just to get frustrated? Maybe if people actually stopped playing, they would be forced to act quicker to fix the issue. There are tons of other games that are not as problematic, and you can always come back when it's fixed.

I mean, it's just my opinion. Feel free to keep torturing yourself.