Change Waypoint Travel

max.4058

Please change Waypoint travelI have clicked on a open Waypoint and gotten an message that the waypoint is now being contested. After that then automatically taken to another Waypoint. This happens a lot when I am in the ruins of Orr lvl 80 areas. I do not find this helpful in any way since I am a solo player. Can code be added so i have the option of being taken to a different waypoint or just remaining where i am. I don't like paying to go somewhere I didn't want to be plus sometimes I don't have the extra time it takes to fight my way to where I want to be and complete my goal. This issue has been a thorn in my side for 6 years now maybe if enough people agree they will add a fix.

Well it's because you can't see contested from the world map only if you are on map plus there are multiple copies of maps you could get put into. So you get to WP anywhere but once you load it sees it was contested and moves you to closest open one. So they would first need to load you into the map to see if it was contested then tell you and you decline to then load you back to where you were. I just don't think that's a good idea

@Randulf.7614 said:I certainly think the Orr ones need a rework after all this time. I understood the idea behind contested waypoints, but I think those reasons have dated enough that removing the contested mechanic wont hurt anything

I agree.

I think this new Skimmer questline has also proven just how much some of the core world could use some freshening up.Sometimes it's worth going back and devoting a little time to old content, most of the bugs people ran into while trying to get their Skimmer ability were very old bugs that have been around for years.The biggest barrier for me was actually in Orr as well, the Largos quest bugged on mulitple times on multiple maps in multiple different ways xD it was so annoying lol

I don't think Anet needs to remaster the core world but at the very least take a look at some of those higher level end game maps.. those could use the most attention imo.Bug fixes, enemy upgrades, a slight difficulty buff, maybe a few changes to some event chains and rewards, just something to make this region actually dangerous like it's supposed to be.Atm strolling through Orr feels about as dangerous as strolling through Queensdale... actually scratch that, the newer Bandit champion events actually make Queensdale even more dangerous than Orr XD

@Blude.6812 said:Get rid of locked (contested) WPs for the whole game. No reason not to let you jump in to battle. Imagine a general saying to the paratrooper 'sorry guys you can't parachute because there is a battle going on' . It's just a dumb restriction.

I always looked at contested WPs as a game penalty for being downed. The incentive is supposed to be to not get downed, but if you do you'll have a long way to get back to the action. This is why, I believe, many downed players just lie there.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Blude.6812 said:Get rid of locked (contested) WPs for the whole game. No reason not to let you jump in to battle. Imagine a general saying to the paratrooper 'sorry guys you can't parachute because there is a battle going on' . It's just a dumb restriction.

I always looked at contested WPs as a game penalty for being downed. The incentive is supposed to be to not get downed, but if you do you'll have a long way to get back to the action. This is why, I believe, many downed players just lie there.

They/I do that even if the wp is right next to them aswell.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Contested waypoints have a multi function, the last one being likely the primary original design reason;

• encourage people to fight more sensibly and not get downed/killed easily
  • prevent the die-swarm-die-swarm boss tactic (which isn't consistent anyway as Mt Maelstrom shows)
  • encourage/reward event particpation so that travel through a map becomes easier - see Dragonstand and Orr when it was the actual open world endgame 7+ years ago

The megaserver disrupted the final one since you can't tell what's actually contested outside of the map anymore so it only rewards you if you stay on the map for a while and the second one isn't really a big enough deal anymore - esp in core zones. As for encouraging people not to get downed, well as Linken says - players will sit there even if a waypoint is 5 seconds away ala Golem MK II

There are some areas it makes sense, esp in HoT zones like Dragonstand and Verdant Brink where the map is heavily linked to these restrictions and the lore deactivated one in Timberline. But Straits of Devastation as an example is too old and lowly populated for it to be of importance anymore and if anything is hindered by this mechanic compared to where it is more appropriately used in HoT. Orr in general would benefit from removing all or most of the contested wps

@Hannelore.8153 said:Its not possible because individual maps run on different servers. The map you're in has no way of seeing the servers the other maps are in, that's why you can't know if waypoints are contested or not until you load into the map.

It was introduced at Megaserver update many years ago.

That is optimistic to say that maps run on different servers.. Did Anet say this? I would believe that different maps run as different processes on the same server.

Eh. Commanders have all sorts of reasons not to airdrop troops into hot zones, a great example of which is given in Drizzlewood Coast. The aircraft available for troop insertions - the charr copters - are extremely vulnerable to anti-aircraft fire, as demonstrated in the anti-air events. If you try to drop into a zone that the Legions don't control (or are not currently actively assaulting), the npc tells you that it's too hot to drop there - and that makes sense.

In the game, there is currently no high-altitude bombardment force to prep a landing zone (courtesy of Mordremoth erasing the Pact Fleet), nor are there faster strike craft that can get the prep work done, and the United Legions do not seem to be using Ash Legion as a special forces division to drop quietly into hostile territory to secure a landing zone. Some of the greatest fiascoes in modern warfare involve colossal screw-ups when it comes to rapidly transporting troops into hostile zones when countries don't have the luxury of securing an insertion site ahead of time.

All that said, I also think contested waypoints should be removed in the Orr maps, given their age and population.

Contested waypoints may be annoying, but the alternative....clicking on a waypoint and finding yourself in the middle of a deadly battle...doesn't seem ideal either. Waypoints tend to be viewed as safe spaces, you can go AFK as the map loads, instead of standing and staring at the loading screen in case you appear in the middle of a Risen raid.

@Randulf.7614 said:

Contested waypoints have a multi function, the last one being likely the primary original design reason;
  • encourage people to fight more sensibly and not get downed/killed easily[snip]I'm not sure that any mechanic that could be implemented would do this. What's worse is when they stay there dead and upscale a boss.

@aspirine.6852 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:Its not possible because individual maps run on different servers. The map you're in has no way of seeing the servers the other maps are in, that's why you can't know if waypoints are contested or not until you load into the map.

It was introduced at Megaserver update many years ago.

That is optimistic to say that maps run on different servers.. Did Anet say this? I would believe that different maps run as different processes on the same server.

Every map runs on its own server, as you can see by typing /ip in chat. Using the IP is part of the LFG system (taxi).

Its physically impossible or something on the scale of an MMO to run on a single server, or even a small cluster. There are dozens of active maps, many with multiple copies, and in the case of maps like Auric Basin, often many copies. And each instance of a map can have something like 150-200 players alone (I don't know the exact number, but many meta maps can fit 3-4 squads).

Sometimes maps share a server for separate instances, which can be confusing with LFG listings, but its rare.

Before Megaserver the game had 24 unique servers in NA for PvE, I believe?