So... if toilet paper exists how come we've never seen bathrooms in the gw universe? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Lore

So... if toilet paper exists how come we've never seen bathrooms in the gw universe?

Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited August 20, 2020 in Lore

I mean it's not just the toilet paper but also the fact that everyone in Tyria needs to bathe, shower, wash hands or wash themselves at some point. The closest I came across was the "showering" place in the Grove home instance.
Also I've never seen anything answering my question in gw1.
I'm just curious about that detail as I'm on a writing project and I want to depict the world of the game as real as possible.
I know that many other rpg themed games like the TES series for example never had bathrooms too so it's an even greater mystery for me.
I know this is all just fiction and perhaps a trivial interest but this has been something I've been asking myself a long time.
Also in the gw books there was no mention of washing as far as I remember.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

I'm Hunter, he/him
Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/charactersgw2
Meme God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Comments

• Sajuuk Khar.1509Sajuuk Khar.1509 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020

Elder Scrolls doesn't have bathrooms because they have chamber pots. The same is likely true for Guild wars for the most part.

In fact, we do see chamber pots in-game
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dirty_Chamber_Pot

• Brycar.2651Brycar.2651 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020

My aura metabolizes all food into magical energy

But that is a very fun observation :)

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much why I avoid the Black Citadel.

• vier.1327vier.1327 Member ✭✭✭

@Uden Reavstone.3426 said:
    There is a large toilet in LA, right next to the bank. Some could say that it is mystic.

You wrote exactly what I was going to say.

• Elementalist dont need bathrooms. With earth or fire magic they leave no trace. They also can take a bath everywhere. They use their magic to shape a bathtube out of earth, fill it with water, heat it up with fire and for the bubbles... well... they will always pretend its air magic. ;)

• Kalavier.1097Kalavier.1097 Member ✭✭✭

Simply put, most fantasy games don't bother inputting bathrooms because well... it's not part of the gameplay? But yes, it's reasonable to assume most larger houses have some sort of bathing room and toilet facilities.

• Kodama.6453Kodama.6453 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Raknar.4735 said:
    Adventurer: Hey, which way to the outhouse?
    Citizen: We don't have outhouses. We have water closets.
    Adventurer: Like latrines?
    Citizen: Nope. They all flow into the same sewer system, and that all goes out to sea.
    Adventurer: That's more than I really needed to know.
    Citizen: Hey, you asked. Just don't ask me if anything lives down there.
    Adventurer: You've got a deal.

Poor deep sea dragon.
    Or maybe I should say poop deep sea dragon.

• vier.1327vier.1327 Member ✭✭✭

Thinking about it... There should be , at least, 3 different bathrooms. Can an asura ad a charr take a kitten in the same toilet? I think not...

• @vier.1327 said:
    Thinking about it... There should be , at least, 3 different bathrooms. Can an asura ad a charr take a kitten in the same toilet? I think not...

I mean, if you have multiple seat covers on the toilet that get proportionally smaller for someone to sit on, and provide a step... then yeah, probably.

All these squares make a circle.

• Jugglemonkey.8741Jugglemonkey.8741 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@vier.1327 said:

I mean, if you have multiple seat covers on the toilet that get proportionally smaller for someone to sit on, and provide a step... then yeah, probably.

I imagine the charr would remove said seat cover then wait for the asura to fall in, honestly.

Critical Kit, Deadeye.
    “If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.” - John Steinbeck

• borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

@vier.1327 said:

Charr would just do #1 on a bush or dig the dirt for #2.
    Asura wastes are barely noticeable, you may even mistake it for a rabbit's.
    Sylvari can just pluck a leaf from their person to do the deed, if they even do the deeds.
    Norn don't poop. They just grow muscles, beards or both.

Check out the fable of the Boiling Frog.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2020

Keep in mind that even in modern times we only had outhouses until like the mid-20th century. There are times when societies had public bathrooms in the past, like the Romans, but for the most part people have just gone outside for thousands of years, or used a chamber pot inside when it wasn't viable to go out (bad weather, too dark, etc.) and disposed of it later.

That said bathrooms likely do exist in the more developed areas of Tyria (Divinity's Reach, Amnoon, Black Citadel, Rata Sum), but for example the Norn don't even have plumbing so they wouldn't have them, and the Humans don't have plumbing anywhere except for Divinity's Reach, Amnoon and Orr, which doesn't count since it was destroyed during the cataclysm.

It is specifically stated that airships have a bathroom, though its not accessible to players. Presumably all the major sea vessels like Lion's Arch galleons do as well, but again this isn't quite made apparent in game.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NobodyPoops

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 22 charas, 16k hours, 28k AP | ♀♥♀
    Mains Mariyuuna/Auramancer(PvE) & Terakura/Healbreaker(WvW) aka Henge of Denravi Silver Invader [SUKI]
    No need to be best, only good and kind.

• Katelynn.6593Katelynn.6593 Member ✭✭✭

@vier.1327 said:

The censor has made that comment way funnier than it should be.

• Tere.4759Tere.4759 Member ✭✭✭

@borgs.6103 said:

@vier.1327 said:

Charr would just do #1 on a bush or dig the dirt for #2.
    Asura wastes are barely noticeable, you may even mistake it for a rabbit's.
    Sylvari can just pluck a leaf from their person to do the deed, if they even do the deeds.
    Norn don't poop. They just grow muscles, beards or both.

This is a hilarious answer. Good job!

• Tere.4759Tere.4759 Member ✭✭✭

@Hannelore.8153 said:
    Keep in mind that even in modern times we only had outhouses until like the mid-20th century. There are times when societies had public bathrooms in the past, like the Romans, but for the most part people have just gone outside for thousands of years, or used a chamber pot inside when it wasn't viable to go out (bad weather, too dark, etc.) and disposed of it later.

That said bathrooms likely do exist in the more developed areas of Tyria (Divinity's Reach, Amnoon, Black Citadel, Rata Sum), but for example the Norn don't even have plumbing so they wouldn't have them, and the Humans don't have plumbing anywhere except for Divinity's Reach, Amnoon and Orr, which doesn't count since it was destroyed during the cataclysm.

It is specifically stated that airships have a bathroom, though its not accessible to players. Presumably all the major sea vessels like Lion's Arch galleons do as well, but again this isn't quite made apparent in game.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NobodyPoops

The flush toilet was invented in 1596 but didn’t become widespread until 1851.

• Zok.4956Zok.4956 Member ✭✭✭

@Raknar.4735 said:
    Adventurer: Hey, which way to the outhouse?
    Citizen: We don't have outhouses. We have water closets.
    Adventurer: Like latrines?
    Citizen: Nope. They all flow into the same sewer system, and that all goes out to sea.
    Adventurer: That's more than I really needed to know.
    Citizen: Hey, you asked. Just don't ask me if anything lives down there.
    Adventurer: You've got a deal.

Yeah, I miss the old Lion's Arch.

https://www.gw2gh.com/ - A GW2-Guild-Hall.
    Register and check your guild leaderboard to see who is the best in your guild and who finished achievements first.

• Arcaniaxs.4519Arcaniaxs.4519 Member ✭✭✭

Gw2 races #1 and 2 turn into ley line magic because pact commander is simply just so strong and npcs dont need to do it bec they are in a game
    Have a nice day

• You can cross sylvari of the list, they dont need toilets. They are plants ;)

• Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

People just poo in the void between waypoints

• XenoSpyro.1780XenoSpyro.1780 Member ✭✭✭

Imagine if Guilds was a hardcore survival mmo, (think Scum, but not dead) and one of the mechanics was finding a place to take a dump.

Would wipe that T rating from the game faster than your character would.

• JekthAvid.1408JekthAvid.1408 Member ✭✭✭

@Brycar.2651 said:
    My aura metabolizes all food into magical energy

Not into energy for your body? Do you mean all the... leftovers... are used for your magic?

• anninke.7469anninke.7469 Member ✭✭✭

@particlepinata.9865 said:
    You can cross sylvari of the list, they dont need toilets. They are plants ;)

Not really. They DO eat just like anyone else, they DO digest (in their own planty way) and they DO the... toiletty stuff.

Do not fear difficulty. Hard ground makes sore feet.
    All things...grow. And the blossom bothers the weed.
    Act with wisdom and axe.

• @anninke.7469 said:

Not really. They DO eat just like anyone else, they DO digest (in their own planty way) and they DO the... toiletty stuff.

We actually got a dev confirmation that sylvari excrement is fertilizer.

So, y'know, they just go in the gardens. ;)

• Psientist.6437Psientist.6437 Member ✭✭✭

Everyone's poop is fertilizer. Human waste is commonly used as fertilizer. Waste treatment facilities around the world sell their 'product' to farmers.

Perhaps Tyrian uni-species toilets resemble the hole in the ground toilets that you squat over. Some species would just be closer to the action then others. In the real world, the whole is slightly tear drop shaped, narrower in the front and wider in the back. A Tyrian version would have a more pronounced tear drop shape to accommodate different leg lengths.

If you are writing a book, the type of bathroom found in a public establishment would speak to the owner's attitude toward other species. If a Norn or Charr found themselves at a human commoners house and had to use the outhouse, the situation could be used for comedic effect or to show their personality. Do they squeeze into the outhouse or relieve themselves in comfort outside the outhouse.

weathering's everything

• anninke.7469anninke.7469 Member ✭✭✭

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@anninke.7469 said:

We actually got a dev confirmation that sylvari excrement is fertilizer.

So, y'know, they just go in the gardens. ;)

Got me thinking...

Do not fear difficulty. Hard ground makes sore feet.
    All things...grow. And the blossom bothers the weed.
    Act with wisdom and axe.