Suggestion for cantha Cantha! Floating island map

drao.4291

I suggest a large sky map that has its "ground" as a sea map with sunken parts of Cantha city ( due to the rising of Orr), but it would be tall with floating islands where civilisation could have escaped to. (making it sort of similar to bloodstone fen (in a mechanic sense)) (some sky levatating rocks could be moving across the map similar to the airship in dragon fall). Other islands could be anchored - there is precedent for this in gw1 Wizard's Folly tower, (presearing) for example. Sure its kinda a common trope among fictional fantasy worlds to have floating rocks, but despite that I think having a full map that is more 3 dimensional and i really liked the horizontal aspect of bloodstone fen in gw2.

Regarding floating rocks introduction into Cantha.Well Cantha didnt have a great tsunami before either, So the reason for these floating rocks could be that they were either natural & part of the scenery but grounded (some of those tall gravity defying vertical rocks) and overlooked as just another large rock structure.orThey were imported (if not manufactured) in order to be essential building fundaments or as an alternative "counterweight" (and reduce overal building weight) , making it possible to build even taller stone towers on top of the sprawling city with its soaked mud ground and wooden shanty town structures. Premium space might not have the necessary support for a magnificient building otherwise.

And then the tsunanami "realesed" them (the floating rocks). No longer fettered to the ground as water soaked earth or crushed structures could no longer contain the levatating rocks air floating boyancy.It could also be reasoned as one of the reasons why so few floating rocks weren't seen before.

I think would make a stunning visual and a fun map.

I also envision a hub city (or two) that is moving across the Cantha map so its not stationary on the map. either a large turtle house armada or floating rock houses.

@"drao.4291" said:I suggest a large sky map that has its "ground" as a sea map with sunken parts of Cantha city ( due to the rising of Orr), but it would be tall with floating islands where civilisation could have escaped to. (making it sort of similar to bloodstone fen (in a mechanic sense)) (some sky levatating rocks could be moving across the map similar to the airship in dragon fall). Other islands could be anchored - there is precedent for this in gw1 Wizard's Folly tower, (presearing) for example. Sure its kinda a common trope among fictional fantasy worlds to have floating rocks, but despite that I think having a full map that is more 3 dimensional and i really liked the horizontal aspect of bloodstone fen in gw2.

Honestly I was picturing something along the lines of the floater island from Subnautica, except it actually moves around with some parts of it dipping into the water from time to time. This would definitely be too complex to make though.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:GW1 Cantha didn’t have it though so it’s be kind of weird for it to be in the expansion.

So, nothing can change in centuries? Come on...

And Cantha could have science fiction weapons and spaceships. Things can change in centuries....

But floating island is more of a stretch than sci-fi weapons and space ships? Would be weird? Yeah, right.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:GW1 Cantha didn’t have it though so it’s be kind of weird for it to be in the expansion.

So, nothing can change in centuries? Come on...

And Cantha could have science fiction weapons and spaceships. Things can change in centuries....

But floating island is more of a stretch than sci-fi weapons and space ships? Would be weird? Yeah, right.

The point was that anything can change in centuries but that itself isn’t a justification for something. Lore-wise it would not make any sense for floating island there.

I'd like to point out that Dragonfall (and everything on it, including Skyscales) didn't even exist in the same dimension as Tyria until it fell out of the Mists and plopped into the ocean, so you know what? Change the GW1 world a bit in the expansion. Let things have happened. Give us classic landmarks and unfamiliar weirdness too.

As far as an island, I think it'd be really exciting to have a map with three easy levels of verticality. Sky. Ground. Water.

If they could sculpt such a map to be easily traveled (none of that winding Tangled Depths and Draconis Mons business) the exploration would feel very liberating. Players would start on the ground level and either explore upward or downward at their leisure (Maybe one WP per level for easy access, sort of like the Grove). If they follow their current multi-meta model, you could wind up with 'sky meta' and 'sea meta' callouts and everyone would know exactly where to go.

@AgentMoore.9453 said:I'd like to point out that Dragonfall (and everything on it, including Skyscales) didn't even exist in the same dimension as Tyria until it fell out of the Mists and plopped into the ocean, so you know what? Change the GW1 world a bit in the expansion. Let things have happened. Give us classic landmarks and unfamiliar weirdness too.

As far as an island, I think it'd be really exciting to have a map with three easy levels of verticality. Sky. Ground. Water.

If they could sculpt such a map to be easily traveled (none of that winding Tangled Depths and Draconis Mons business) the exploration would feel very liberating. Players would start on the ground level and either explore upward or downward at their leisure (Maybe one WP per level for easy access, sort of like the Grove). If they follow their current multi-meta model, you could wind up with 'sky meta' and 'sea meta' callouts and everyone would know exactly where to go.

Map designer need to take into account how completely new players without any Mastery should be able to get around on that kind of Air, Sky, Mountain, Land, Water and Under Water regions. Old player like myself with all mounts and full gliding from mastery would not have that much problems, but new player will feel a big struggle if map design do not take that into account.

Another issue is how would weapons work? I mean as for range vs melee weapon when there is several layers (air, sky, mountain, land and water with underwater world). Ranged weapon seem to be more useful then when you need to teleport to target to be in range for melee weapons. Our UW weapons are rather random left overs from when game first where introduced with UW and have not been in check for ages. This need also to be looked into so we don't have some profession that are too good with their built into tools. We lack also a lot of utility skills when we jump into any water as those are disabled and some elite skills doesn't work neither in water.

All in all there need be more then just a new map with UW theme or Air (top) to UW (buttom) layer, there is also a need to adjust weapons and tools (consumable/bundles that exist in game) to be in line that we don't get issues with how professions work.