Dynamic Weather

hugo.4705

In several maps I noticed there is a day-night cycle, through; the weather is always the same. The current weather system seems to tie specific weathers to specific areas:As example, in queensdale, you have always rain at Tunwatch Redoubt Waypoint under Beetletun, whereas it's cloudy at the village of Shaemoor.

Would it be very costy to link to each zone, a weather system that randomly choose between "rain or snow fall or ashes/sunny/cloudy/foggy" ?I'm just wondering. Since there are beautiful night skies, why not a dynamic weather system too?Speaking of which, why not an option to make the surrounding even darker during night? Like during Halloween LA.

Just a thought. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weather for infos: Some of them btw, apply some effects whereas some other not.

ff14 had dynamic weather along with a day and night cycle and it affected stuff like gathering/fishing or even be a trigger if certain bosses/fates could spawn.

it'll be nice to have in GW2 as well instead of weather being mostly static or meta/event related (for metas and events they can just do a weather override) sometimes it can be tiring to see the same zone and see the same gloomy/cloudy weather ... could use a bit of sunshine there or in areas where it's always sunny (like Grothmar) could use a lil more rain or some light snowfall.. or like it never rains in Lion's Arch or any of the cities for example (heavy snow for Hoelbrak)

All these complaint threads about process lag, and you want to add more particle effects?

Sounds awesome! Consider my "yes" vote cast. I imagine it's more complex than I think it is, but they could tie it in to the Dynamic Events systems, which already does things like this.

@Astyrah.4015 said:ff14 had dynamic weather along with a day and night cycle and it affected stuff like gathering/fishing or even be a trigger if certain bosses/fates could spawn.

it'll be nice to have in GW2 as well instead of weather being mostly static or meta/event related (for metas and events they can just do a weather override) sometimes it can be tiring to see the same zone and see the same gloomy/cloudy weather ... could use a bit of sunshine there or in areas where it's always sunny (like Grothmar) could use a lil more rain or some light snowfall.. or like it never rains in Lion's Arch or any of the cities for example (heavy snow for Hoelbrak)

Yeah, i tried doing the sightseeing thing in FFXIV, and the second one i found required me to wait almost a full in-game day to complete it. That was the end of that. Then some require the right weather? Unbeliveable.If it would be just weather without any of that then we could only hope anet wouldn't recycle that idiocy eventually.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@Astyrah.4015 said:ff14 had dynamic weather along with a day and night cycle and it affected stuff like gathering/fishing or even be a trigger if certain bosses/fates could spawn.

Yeah, i tried doing the sightseeing thing in FFXIV, and the second one i found required me to wait almost a full in-game day to complete it. That was the end of that. Then some require the right weather? Unbeliveable.If it would be just weather without any of that then we could only hope anet wouldn't recycle that idiocy eventually.

i mostly just wanted random weather in maps just for the change in ambience as evident in my reply to the OP ~ sometimes it's sad to see the same area being gloomy and cloudy when the skies could be clear in the midday, could even add some dynamic to the RP scene if ever. FF14 was merely a mention :)

@Astyrah.4015 said:

i mostly just wanted random weather in maps just for the change in ambience as evident in my reply to the OP ~ sometimes it's sad to see the same area being gloomy and cloudy when the skies could be clear in the midday, could even add some dynamic to the RP scene if ever. FF14 was merely a mention :)

Random weather would be fine. At least would work for most maps, though i doubt orr could be anyhting but dark and gloomy.

@hugo.4705 said:In several maps I noticed there is a day-night cycle, through; the weather is always the same.

The day-night cycle happens all across Tyria, not just on specific maps. Also, there are maps which do have changing wheather (namely occasional rain) - the changes are just more subtle than what a full-fledged wheather system would offer. I am not certain that such a system would benefit the game on the current engine; it could cause more lag for some players.

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of a weather system, how deep you go with it could be really fun. On the surface just changes in weather from sun to cloudiness to rain i always thought would happen in spring like maps like Queensdale. We now have blizzards in Bjora maps but going deeper it'd be fun if snow collected on the ground and actually changed the map. Or like the fractal map where staying in the cold too long kills you, but in this case it would just slow you down. Same would go with rain- too much of it and flooding might happen. Now it would also be great if bodies of water had waves and currents. Crossing a river might push you back a little but floods might wash you away! I've seen waves in GW2 on the out of bound areas people find so i know its possible to make them in playable areas just for the look. The more intense weather patterns all would have to be in new zones obviously the changes to the environment probs wouldn't work in old maps. But this entire weather idea could be a new game mode introduced to the game.

Yes please, I've always wanted dynamic weather in this game. It would be so cool if you're about to fight an open world boss, and the weather turns all stormy suddenly. In your mind you'll just think "so it begins" as you charge the boss. Weather in video games make them feel that much more alive, and realistic.