Bubbles [possible spoilers]

Daniel Handler.4816

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Bast.7253" said:I don't know that it would necessarily be a "retcon" though, as much as an expansion on pre-existing knowledge/assumptions.

I've always thought that whole thing was suspicious, personally. One man steals a remnant of Dwayna's power, just a regular mortal, and manages to somehow scream and petrify a whole sea and forest?

Meanwhile, an ELDER DRAGON, has to fly above an area and breathe branded breath on a piece of land to make the same dent. It's always felt like there's more at play here, because Shiro really doesn't seem like he should be capable of that much devastation (even if he has some remnant of a God's power). And it seems rather odd in general that Dwayna's magic would have resulted in things petrifying. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that it was Dwayna's magic amplified/twisted by the DSD. Because it just doesn't really make sense that a mere mortal would be able to do that, especially in comparison to some of the other comparable characters we've seen in game. Of the most powerful I'm only immediately able to think of Jenna and Xera - both were mesmers and merely created large illusions, not altering the very terrain.

Was Balthazar, even at demi-god status, even able to perform such a feat?

Shiro didn't just "somehow stole" the magic. He underwent and studied dark rituals and magic, enchanted his weapons, and prepared spells for the process - all through the subtle and unknown-to-Shiro guidance of Abaddon. And it honestly makes sense that the patron of
Preservation Magic
would petrify - what happens if you preserve something too much? It goes into stasis - it petrifies.

As to the DSD's involvement - while we know very little about it, the two key things we know about it counter any argument if its relation - first, it is the "Water Dragon", which going by all other thematics, would mean that its corruption liquefies - the opposite of the Jade Wind; second, it woke in the deepest parts of the seas, and pushed krait, karka, and quaggan out of their homelands in the Unending Ocean - which isn't the Jade Sea or even close to the southern inland shores of the Jade Sea. So why would its magic be present near Shiro's death?

As to whether gods could do such a thing - they turned a sea into a desert, so it seems likely that their magic could turn a sea and forest into stone.

Either way, I don't think it would be a retcon. The people of Cantha likely thought it was all Shiro and the magic he stole of Dwayna's, but if they didn't have any experience or knowledge of something like an Elder Dragon they likely wouldn't have reason to question it. Less of a "retcon" and more of an "evolution" of the story.That's... what a retcon technically is. Retroactive continuity.

Changing previously established lore to fit a new narrative.

Yes, full-powered gods. But demi-god Balthazar? I would think Shiro borrowing Dwayna's magic would be a step below him.

I guess it's just strange to me that a human mortal could wield god magic in that way, yet I don't recall seeing any other similar events from others. I guess Khilibron reading the scroll could count?

To be fair, Balthazar dying did cover all of Vabbi in a magical maelstrom until Kralkatorrik ate it up. Comparatively, Abaddon's death was threatening to destroy the entire world plus the afterlife. So, arguably, Balthazar did pull off a Jade Wind of sorts - both the magical maelstrom and the Jade Wind were death wails of sorts.

We don't really have any other comparative events because the Harvest Ceremony is the only known case of a blessing from the gods for a continent's good harvest being granted.