[UPDATED] Guild Wars 2 is Coming to Steam - [Merged]

Can devs actually clarify to players that they can use their existing account with steam since most people completely miss the point here? This is LITERALLY a steam integration for advertising. The hours logged are straight up from you just having the launcher of Guild Wars 2 running.

@Shao.7236 said:Can devs actually clarify to players that they can use their existing account with steam since most people completely miss the point here? This is LITERALLY a steam integration for advertising. The hours logged are straight up from you just having the launcher of Guild Wars 2 running.

They already said it at start, You will not be able to use a already exisiting account with steam.After buying it again on steam you cant then unlink that brand new account from steam either.

However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Shao.7236" said:Can devs actually clarify to players that they can use their existing account with steam since most people completely miss the point here? This is LITERALLY a steam integration for advertising. The hours logged are straight up from you just having the launcher of Guild Wars 2 running.

They already said it at start, You will not be able to use a already exisiting account with steam.After buying it again on steam you cant then unlink that brand new account from steam either.

However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account.

You're getting it wrong, what they're telling you is that Steam or Anet are not affiliated to have you create an account on either platform from their own resource. You have to rely on each according company software to have an account. This is what I want to be clarified because people are all confused and also asking for unnecessary features, if Anet was actually going to split their advertising potential by not allowing existing users to just play through Steam, it would defeat the purpose of all this.

"If you log in through Steam, you'll still play alongside your fellow Tyrians on the same maps and servers (select NA or EU). Whether you choose to log in through Steam or the Guild Wars 2 launcher, everyone plays together! However, please note that you cannot convert an existing Guild Wars 2 account to a Steam account or convert a Steam account to a non-Steam account."

The very last part of this sentence shouldn't exist at all, it is what create all the confusion in the first place, to also deny users the ability to have ANY other account used on Steam would also be counter productive by so many levels. To convert is misleading, all MMO's that I know have a launcher that ties to SteamID integration then ask for the player e-mail/account to log accordingly then start playing.

@Shao.7236 said:

@Shao.7236 said:Can devs actually clarify to players that they can use their existing account with steam since most people completely miss the point here? This is LITERALLY a steam integration for advertising. The hours logged are straight up from you just having the launcher of Guild Wars 2 running.

You're getting it wrong, what they're telling you is that Steam or Anet are not affiliated to have you create an account on either platform from their own resource. You have to rely on each according company software to have an account. This is what I want to be clarified because people are all confused and also asking for unnecessary features, if Anet was actually going to split their advertising potential by not allowing existing users to just play through Steam, it would defeat the purpose of all this.

"If you log in through Steam, you'll still play alongside your fellow Tyrians on the same maps and servers (select NA or EU).
Whether you choose to log in through Steam or the Guild Wars 2 launcher, everyone plays together!
"

The very last part of this sentence shouldn't exist at all, it is what create all the confusion in the first place, to also deny users the ability to have ANY other account used on Steam would also be counter productive by so many levels. To convert is misleading, all MMO's that I know have a launcher that ties to SteamID integration then ask for the player e-mail/account to log accordingly then start playing.

All the thing you highlighted says is we all play on the same anet servers even if we login through steam or the vanilla launcher got nothing to do with being able to port your existing account over to steam at all.And having them on different servers wouldent work since we dont have different servers we got the mega server system.You are mixing things up mate.

You know why they would want existing players to not be able to login through steam?Its so they get 100% of the profit from those players something that they dont get from the steam users.

EditLast line that you want to ignore you cant make your current gw2 account work on steam and you cant make a gw2 account bought on steam get cut from that platform ever.

And no it would not defeat the purpose of all this.Since the purpose of all this is to get new players, not to serve the old players in any other way then to get new blood into the game.

Edit 2To say what you want it to say the line would be something like this.

To play gw2 on steam do remember that you have to create a steam account first.

@"Linken.6345" You see, the reason why it doesn't make any sense is because how am I gonna create another GW2 account there if my email is already taken by the existing one which also ties to my steam account. I have to create/change a email/steam account? Really? Don't think so. The pieces don't work together, there is no reason wanting to ask for linking or have the need to separate systems.

They're losing free publicity by preventing the already millions existing users to just use Steam as medium to connect their existing e-mail account through it. The "new blood" might not be permanent if at all, the current in-game players will be influenced heavily as well.

The way this system will work and if it's not SHOULD, is asking for people to log-in on their their ANET account after booting the steam integration from the platform itself. It's the way to go just like any MMO's / Games do with their DRM, splitting the potential advertisement by preventing your veterans from just having another all in one solution with GW2 in their steam libraries is beyond stupid.

This looks like bad communication and needs to be addressed. We don't care for the Steam Wallet implementation, we don't need other communities interfering with GW2 economy.

We want exposure, that's all.

@Shao.7236 said:@"Linken.6345" You see, the reason why it doesn't make any sense is because how am I gonna create another GW2 account there if my email is already taken by the existing one which also ties to my steam account. I have to create/change a email/steam account? Really? Don't think so. The pieces don't work together, there is no reason wanting to ask for linking or have the need to separate systems.

They're losing free publicity by preventing the already millions existing users to just use Steam as medium to connect their existing e-mail account through it. The "new blood" might not be permanent if at all, the current in-game players will be influenced heavily as well.

The way this system will work and if it's not SHOULD, is asking for people to log-in on their their ANET account after booting the steam integration from the platform itself. It's the way to go just like any MMO's / Games do with their DRM, splitting the potential advertisement by preventing your veterans from just having another all in one solution with GW2 in their steam libraries is beyond stupid.

This looks like bad communication and needs to be addressed. We don't care for the Steam Wallet implementation, we don't need other communities interfering with GW2 economy.

So by this system how do steam know what accounts to take the cut from if all they are doing is letting anet boot up their launcher through their platform?Anet aint going to want to give the however many % on all the accounts since they can technicaly logiin through steam.

Remember its not just the sales of accounts its the gems those accounts buy afterwards aswell.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Shao.7236 said:@Linken.6345 You see, the reason why it doesn't make any sense is because how am I gonna create another GW2 account there if my email is already taken by the existing one which also ties to my steam account. I have to create/change a email/steam account? Really? Don't think so. The pieces don't work together, there is no reason wanting to ask for linking or have the need to separate systems.

So by this system how do steam know what accounts to take the cut from if all they are doing is letting anet boot up their launcher through their platform?Anet aint going to want to give the however many % on all the accounts since they can technicaly logiin through steam.

Remember its not just the sales of accounts its the gems those accounts buy afterwards aswell.

They probably struck a deal together because other games have in-app purchases and also have their own launcher apart of Steam for those who don't want it. The DLC's are likely to have cuts taken since Steam is being used as publicity or then again, it's part of a certain deal they've come to agree upon.

Gems are likely to just be obtained the same way as before with in-game currency or bought in-game altogether, they don't need to be tracked via Steam specific accounts or should they actually want to ever do that because that sounds kinda inefficient and full of problems.

They just pay a certain amount to Valve and be done with it.

I'll be giving it a thumb down for your scam Living world season practice you've been doing now. Either change that or people won't play the game when they realize they need to spend extra 60€ to unlock all living world stuff for the story.

Up the price of account upgrade and add all living world in the package.

@Dante.1508 said:

@Seymourx.1372 said:I don't understand why you want to have your account on Steam. For me it's just the opportunity to bring some new players

Steam sells by countries currency so its a big deal to people who aren't American.

Yeah Steam can sell in the regional currency if the selling company (ArenaNet in this case) wants to do that. They have to opt in.

But it's worth noting that ArenaNet's current payment provider (Digital River) could also do that if ArenaNet wanted them to.

They may offer regional pricing on Steam but may not.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Seymourx.1372 said:I don't understand why you want to have your account on Steam. For me it's just the opportunity to bring some new players

Steam sells by countries currency so its a big deal to people who aren't American.

Yeah Steam can sell in the regional currency if the selling company (ArenaNet in this case) wants to do that. They have to opt in.

But it's worth noting that ArenaNet's current payment provider (Digital River) could also do that if ArenaNet wanted them to.

yeah that's one big boon when going to steam regional pricing... and they other is ease of payment. with many different payment methods available tailored to the region of the account holder so, regional pricing or not, steam is still a better platform for non-NA/non-EU players who can't pay via international credit card or paypal. it's enough to convert current players who aren't buying gems via real money to actual paying customers (though sadly we can't link steam and arenanet accounts so if you want to continue your main account's progress on steam you have to resort to creating an alt shopping account on steam to gift your main whatever gemstore things you want and continue playing on the regular client)

@Astyrah.4015 said:

yeah that's one big boon when going to steam regional pricing... and they other is ease of payment. with many different payment methods available tailored to the region of the account holder
so, regional pricing or not,
steam is still a better platform for non-NA/non-EU players who can't pay via international credit card or paypal. it's enough to convert current players who aren't buying gems via real money to actual paying customers (though sadly we can't link steam and arenanet accounts so if you want to continue your main account's progress on steam you have to resort to creating an alt shopping account on steam to gift your main whatever gemstore things you want and continue playing on the regular client)

Exactly, this is why i would like to be able to move to steam. Ofc, if they add other payment methods here that would work too: i use DLocal and WebMoney. An alternative could be if we could buy gems and/or the expansions as a gift on steam and be able to get the gift here but i don't know if that is posible.

@Pifil.5193 said:

If they are selling the game currency on steam it will be in world currency if not then they can't sell it to us.. Steam forces our currency these days, so GW2 comes to Australians on steam it will be in AU currency prices..