Tomes

Coeruleum.9164

Could we have a necro elite specialization with tomes? I find it kind of silly that we have Paladins of the Library but no books for scholars. I mean, Paladins of the Library is great and original, but I do think scholars should've gotten something like tomes before guardians did. Thanks for your consideration!

@Coeruleum.9164 said:Could we have a necro elite specialization with tomes? I find it kind of silly that we have Paladins of the Library but no books for scholars. I mean, Paladins of the Library is great and original, but I do think scholars should've gotten something like tomes before guardians did. Thanks for your consideration!

Thing is that guardians originally had tome skills, but later removed. So Firebrand is a new take on those old skills.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@Coeruleum.9164 said:Could we have a necro elite specialization with tomes? I find it kind of silly that we have Paladins of the Library but no books for scholars. I mean, Paladins of the Library is great and original, but I do think scholars should've gotten something like tomes before guardians did. Thanks for your consideration!

Thing is that guardians originally had tome skills, but later removed. So Firebrand is a new take on those old skills.

Yeah, I know that, and I think the Paladins of the Library is pretty cool. However, I'd like some spellbooks for mages next. There are already multiple classes using shouts, traps, wells, and other types of skills, so I'd make it tomes for necromancers (or other classes getting magical books.)

@Coeruleum.9164 said:

Yeah, I know that, and I think the Paladins of the Library is pretty cool. However, I'd like some spellbooks for mages next. There are already multiple classes using shouts, traps, wells, and other types of skills, so I'd make it tomes for necromancers (or other classes getting magical books.)

So what you are saying is pretty much wanting an extra line of skills, yes?Considering Scourge, they have their 'shroud' skills on the top left bar. So I strongly believe that the next espec will follow the model, as necromancers is considered too durable to get competitive damage with other professions for pve.

@Fueki.4753 said:I don't mind Necros getting a book shroud next.

I certainly don't want books on my Mesmer though.And I can't see how books would work for Elementalist, unless they are going to be kits, or another set of conjured things.

I imagine for elementalist it would be Book of Fire/Water/Earth/Air that gives you more attacks based on which one you choose. I do think giving books of magic tricks to mesmers would be weird though.

@Fueki.4753 said:

I imagine for elementalist it would be Book of Fire/Water/Earth/Air that gives you more attacks based on which one you choose.So, Elementalists would loose access to weapons, whose skills depend on your active Element(s), just to get a book based on the active Element?

Well, that's how tomes on Firebrand work, and shroud on core Necromancer and Reaper, and celestial avatar on Druid. Elementalists getting something like that as one spec wouldn't be something shockingly new.

@Coeruleum.9164 said:

I imagine for elementalist it would be Book of Fire/Water/Earth/Air that gives you more attacks based on which one you choose.So, Elementalists would loose access to weapons, whose skills depend on your active Element(s), just to get a book based on the active Element?

Well, that's how tomes on Firebrand work, and shroud on core Necromancer and Reaper, and celestial avatar on Druid. Elementalists getting something like that as one spec wouldn't be something shockingly new.

But you forget that the Attunement buttons change your weapon skills.On Guardian and Necromancer, the Weapon skills don't depending on Shroud our virtues.

If the Attunements turned into books, how would the weapon skills work?Do you expect the developers to create a Attunement-neutral skill set for all weapons (except Sword and Warhorn)?

@Fueki.4753 said:But you forget that the Attunement buttons change your weapon skills.On Guardian and Necromancer, the Weapon skills don't depending on Shroud our virtues.

If the Attunements turned into books, how would the weapon skills work?Do you expect the developers to create a Attunement-neutral skill set for all weapons (except Sword and Warhorn)?

True... That would be one hell of a mountain of work...I think revenant could get a tome thought (but in all honesty revenant is built in such a way that they can get anything).

I think the issue is the premise of the OP. You don't need to wear light armor to be a scholar. Elementalist manipulate element it's doubtful that they whatever is writen in a book can further their knowledge of the element better than practice. I believe guardian have tome because they focus on principles like justice, resolve and courage whose understanding can be deepened through the epics of the heroes of old.

Granted how core necromancer is built I think it would be difficult for him to get access to tomes. Not that thematically it's not fitting but the profession is brought together in such a way that something like the FB on the necromancer is highly unlikely.

@Dadnir.5038 said:I believe guardian have tome because they focus on principles like justice, resolve and courage whose understanding can be deepened through the epics of the heroes of old.Thematically, Guardians (as well as all of the Paladin Archetype) are based on Abrahamic religions, specifically the Christian crusaders.That's why I think the Tomes are a nod towards the holy scriptures of the Abrahamic religions (aka the Torah, the Bible and the Koran).

Granted how core necromancer is built I think it would be difficult for him to get access to tomes. Not that thematically it's not fitting but the profession is brought together in such a way that something like the FB on the necromancer is highly unlikely.Similar to said holy scriptures of Abrahamic religions, you can find scriptures about necrotic practices.The most prominent one likely is Lovecraft's fictional grimoire, the Kitab al-Azif, (best known as the Necronomicon).

Thus, I don't think a Book Shroud would be out of Question.But it'd be just that: another shroud (or maybe two if Arenanet was to be ambitious).

A lot of Necro's style is in big circles; wells, marks, shades and such for typically low-burst AoE. Marks, wells and shades look like ritual circles on the ground and there are other similar effects on skills, traits and utilities.

If there is a tome-type specialization, would it also be an AoE or would tomes be better single-target? Arenanet gave every profession ample conditions for each to have a condition daamage build but only Necro does not have a boon build that has enough value to use concentration effectively.

Will Necro's next elite spec focus on single target dps, boons or boon-sharing, something else? I am not really convinced another specialization is needed other than the two I mentioned. Core and Scourge are kind of lost in the cracks of the game right now: Play core to troll in PvP; play Scourge to support PUGs; otherwise, play Reaper.

Necromancer is not an outlier in this, either. Almost every profession and specialization was corrupted by the balance game. I would really like the next expansion to reset balance and builds in all game modes separately. Unfortunately, the financials look troubling so any work deemed unnecessary to the expac may not be approved. We will see if core and current specializations are retuned.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:I believe guardian have tome because they focus on principles like justice, resolve and courage whose understanding can be deepened through the epics of the heroes of old.Thematically, Guardians (as well as all of the Paladin Archetype) are based on Abrahamic religions, specifically the Christian crusaders.That's why I think the Tomes are a nod towards the holy scriptures of the Abrahamic religions (aka the Torah, the Bible and the Koran).

Granted how core necromancer is built I think it would be difficult for him to get access to tomes. Not that thematically it's not fitting but the profession is brought together in such a way that something like the FB on the necromancer is highly unlikely.Similar to said holy scriptures of Abrahamic religions, you can find scriptures about necrotic practices.The most prominent one likely is Lovecraft's fictional grimoire, the Kitab al-Azif, (best known as the Necronomicon).

Thus, I don't think a Book Shroud would be out of Question.But it'd be just that: another shroud (or maybe two if Arenanet was to be ambitious).

Yeah, I think it would just be a way to give people a few shrouds. Tomes on Firebrand already replace your weapon skills, which is similar to Shroud. That's also why it'd be really easy for elementalists to have some kind of tome too, because they already have conjure weapons that don't change based on your attunement. Necros and eles also both have Transform elite skills available, Lich Form and Tornado/Whirlpool. Tomes are basically signets combined with transforms, and virtues are basically signets.