Game crashes with some characters and others not

I've been playing this game for some time. I stoped playing last year and started again today.Unfortanelly I can't seem to play with any of my 80 level chars. I can log in, execute the game, start playing, but it crashes, not only the game, but stutters my pc in a black screen until I manually restart my PC.I've created a new char and I am still playing with it until level 10, with no crashing...Can someone explain what is going on in this crazy game?

Unfortunately, I have the exact same issue since Sunday. The game freezes, my mouse and keyboard input is gone, then the screen goes black, and my computer restarts. The first appearance was on Bitterfrost Frontier, the second on the Crystal Oasis loading screen. I did not find any connection between the bug, my characters, or the time spent in-game. Sometimes I played for hours, and nothing happened. Then I launched the game today, and I got the crash on the Crystal Oasis loading screen after like 30-45 minutes.

I submitted a ticket to Arenanet about this, but I wonder if they will actually look into this in the near future. It does not seem like many people are struggling with this problem. :(

@Menyus.1769 said:Unfortunately, I have the exact same issue since Sunday. The game freezes, my mouse and keyboard input is gone, then the screen goes black, and my computer restarts. The first appearance was on Bitterfrost Frontier, the second on the Crystal Oasis loading screen. I did not find any connection between the bug, my characters, or the time spent in-game. Sometimes I played for hours, and nothing happened. Then I launched the game today, and I got the crash on the Crystal Oasis loading screen after like 30-45 minutes.

I submitted a ticket to Arenanet about this, but I wonder if they will actually look into this in the near future. It does not seem like many people are struggling with this problem. :(

Thats exactally it! I thougt at first it was connectet to something, but its just random. I tryed everything, even redownloading my grafics card, wont work.And it does not happen with any other game I have, even some high performance ones I have an Intel core I7 16g of ram and a GTX 970. Its not much, but it used to run on this same pc, with the same setups....

@"Kartolis.8675" said:Aperently it crashes anyway, it took a few ours to go down now, plz help me, I can't determine what is happening to my machine

There are two common reasons for characters to crash since the Build & Equipment "Templates" (a.k.a. loadouts) have been introduced into the game:

• The active template refers to an item that is no longer present on the character (e.g., you dragged it into the bank or delete it), hence the game can't find the linked item.
  • There is another screw-up with people that have Revenant builds in the Build Storage that have a certain trait reference that doesn't work after an update.

In any case, without us being able to look at your error report (which you were already asked to post here), these are merely guesses on my end.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Kartolis.8675" said:Aperently it crashes anyway, it took a few ours to go down now, plz help me, I can't determine what is happening to my machine

There are two common reasons for characters to crash since the Build & Equipment "Templates" (a.k.a. loadouts) have been introduced into the game:
  • The active template refers to an item that is no longer present on the character (e.g., you dragged it into the bank or delete it), hence the game can't find the linked item.
  • There is another screw-up with people that have Revenant builds in the Build Storage that have a certain trait reference that doesn't work after an update.

In any case, without us being able to look at your error report (which you were already asked to post here), these are merely guesses on my end.

Sry if im not making myself clear, Its not only the game who crashes, but my entire PC, there is no error report because of that, I have to restart my PC every time.

@Kartolis.8675 said:Sry if im not making myself clear, Its not only the game who crashes, but my entire PC, there is no error report because of that, I have to restart my PC every time.

Are you getting a blue screen? That can give you information on what is causing the crash.

If not and your PC simply shuts down, that means your PSU is trying to save your hardware from taking damage. That could have a variety of possible reasons, like:

• Overheating (GPU, CPU,...)
  • Something isn't wired properly and causes power fluctuations
  • A hardware component is faulty

Or is there no power-down at all? Does your PC keep running and only the screen turns black?

I try to answer to everyone as best as I could. :smiley:

@Kartolis.8675 said:

Thats exactally it! I thougt at first it was connectet to something, but its just random. I tryed everything, even redownloading my grafics card, wont work.And it does not happen with any other game I have, even some high performance ones I have an Intel core I7 16g of ram and a GTX 970. Its not much, but it used to run on this same pc, with the same setups....

Strangely enough, I have a similar config. Intel i5 6600, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 970. Arenanet already answered to my ticket, they asked for a specific log file. I already sent it to them, so we have to wait now, I guess.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Since you can play on one character, but not the rest, have you tried the Command Line Argument, -prefreset? That works for stuck characters, so maybe it would work for this. Worth a shot.

Good luck.

To be honest, I don't now where or how to use this, but I don't think my characters are stuck in any way. Sometimes I play on my guardian for hours, and nothing happens. Then I log-in another day, and the game crashes after 30-45 minutes.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:

While your first point is interesting, I don't think the issue is that simple. To me it seems the game creates somehow a fatal error, which forces my whole computer to restart. I also very rarily play with my revenant, and I didn't even touch it when both of the crashes came. Also we can't post our error report, because we don't get an error report. :smile: The game freezes, the input is gone, and the computer restarts. No blue screen, no error messages, only a black screen. I checked my other monitor the second time the crash came, and there wasn't any error messages either. Only the black screen.

I also considered the opportunity that maybe I have some kind of a hardware issue, but nothing stands out at the moment.

• My PC has some glass parts, so I can actually see when the fans are rotating faster. They didn't, and my computer was not loud either.
  • The only case when these crashes appeared so far was when I played Guild Wars 2.
  • I use this PC since years, and the game ran without any issue just fine. The problem started on Sunday.
  • I didn't experience any "power-down" at all.

@"Menyus.1769" said:I also very rarily play with my revenant, and I didn't even touch it when both of the crashes came.

I wasn't talking about the character of Revenant. The build storage is account-wide, so when this issue occurs, it affects every character.

I also considered the opportunity that maybe I have some kind of a hardware issue, but nothing stands out at the moment.

• My PC has some glass parts, so I can actually see when the fans are rotating faster. They didn't, and my computer was not loud either.

Faulty components don't cause the fans to go faster nor any other visible issue. If your system is overheating and you have not configured the case fans, CPU fan and GPU fans properly to go faster at certain high temperatures, you also won't see a difference in fan rotation.

• The only case when these crashes appeared so far was when I played Guild Wars 2.
  • I use this PC since years, and the game ran without any issue just fine. The problem started on Sunday.
  • I didn't experience any "power-down" at all.

Have you run the usual checks?

It could also be a faulty PSU or a faulty motherboard, but the latter is super hard to determine.

Edit: Did you try to repair Windows via SFC scannow command? Perhaps it's a faulty driver or other conflict due to some corrupt file(s):https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Holy Dwayna, that's a lot of test methods there. :smiley:

Arenanet replied again, they also asked me to run some tests on my computer. I don't want to mess anything up, so I'll try to follow their lead first, but I'll definitely keep in mind these advices. Thanks!